3 realistic options for pick 12...

Deemolition Man

Who would you take at pick 12?  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

afl site seems to suggest kieran harper, which wouldnt be a bad pick could add to our midfield, as a goal kicker in our midfield, but i think we will take ben jacobs, a more versatile forward or back, whose disposal will be perfect for our game style, whether its coming out from the backline, or hitting up watts, but again a tall pick wouldnt be too suprising but i seem to think we will go for the versatile player, who will add a bit of extra class to the disposal of the team.

I think Harper is a lot different to Caddy actually.

Caddy very clean with the footy and an inside player, good athleticism but not what you'd call a 'creative' player.

Harper seems to have silky footskills, not as clean, does the 1%ers but gets on the end of a lot of footy.

Has great creativity and is a finisher.

In the end, I think we'll just be choosing from whatever GC Suns don't take out of Lynch, Darling, Smedts, Smith, Caddy, Atley, Harper, Pitt, McCarthy.

I honestly don't mind and I think we had a similar situation last year with pick 11.

It could have been any number of players & I trust the recruiting team made a good decision.

(FYI Harper attended YV Grammar and played for Eastern Ranges, just like Gysberts & Blease, where I believe Wheatley was an asst coach last year. Not sure about this year.)

I think Harper is a lot different to Caddy actually.

Caddy very clean with the footy and an inside player, good athleticism but not what you'd call a 'creative' player.

Harper seems to have silky footskills, not as clean, does the 1%ers but gets on the end of a lot of footy.

Has great creativity and is a finisher.

In the end, I think we'll just be choosing from whatever GC Suns don't take out of Lynch, Darling, Smedts, Smith, Caddy, Atley, Harper, Pitt, McCarthy.

I honestly don't mind and I think we had a similar situation last year with pick 11.

It could have been any number of players & I trust the recruiting team made a good decision.

(FYI Harper attended YV Grammar and played for Eastern Ranges, just like Gysberts & Blease, where I believe Wheatley was an asst coach last year. Not sure about this year.)

Excuse my lack of knowledge but I've heard those names thrown around a bit and would like to know if any of these are KPF's.

I know Smedts and Harper aren't but the others ??

Excuse my lack of knowledge but I've heard those names thrown around a bit and would like to know if any of these are KPF's.

I know Smedts and Harper aren't but the others ??

Lynch is KPF at around the 196cm mark. Darling has played CHF but is only around 190 or 191, so may be a little small to pull it off against the big boys. Not sure about the others.

MY preference would be Lynch simply because he fills the need we have. The only reservation is that the talk has been about getting a big bodied stay at home type of forward while he is more of the same being tall and athletic with a big tank.

Failing that, Smelds looks pretty good. Sort of a Goddard type who can play anywhere, run the ball, take marks and kick goals as needed.

I'm not sold on Darling. As I said, I have doubts about his ability to keep playing as a KPF at his height. Admittedly, players like Fev and Lloyd have been very effective and are only a couple of cm taller, but they are rare freaks and the fact is that players are getting taller. Ten years ago there would have been no questions asked, but now when most of the key forwards being taken are closer to 200 than 190?

I understand your concerns about Darling and I have them too, but then I just watch him play again and he just goes about it in such a great manner...

Lynch if we can, but I'll be happy with any of them.

Lynch is KPF at around the 196cm mark. Darling has played CHF but is only around 190 or 191, so may be a little small to pull it off against the big boys. Not sure about the others.

MY preference would be Lynch simply because he fills the need we have. The only reservation is that the talk has been about getting a big bodied stay at home type of forward while he is more of the same being tall and athletic with a big tank.

Failing that, Smelds looks pretty good. Sort of a Goddard type who can play anywhere, run the ball, take marks and kick goals as needed.

I'm not sold on Darling. As I said, I have doubts about his ability to keep playing as a KPF at his height. Admittedly, players like Fev and Lloyd have been very effective and are only a couple of cm taller, but they are rare freaks and the fact is that players are getting taller. Ten years ago there would have been no questions asked, but now when most of the key forwards being taken are closer to 200 than 190?

Thanks Ralphy, I'd like to see pick 12 used on a tall KPF.

I understand your concerns about Darling and I have them too, but then I just watch him play again and he just goes about it in such a great manner...

Have to agree that any one of them would be a pretty good pickup. There's a good chance they will all be gone before our pick too which shows the sort of quality we're talking about.

Are either of these two any chance of slipping to 12?

I understand the concerns about height, but I don't think it should be overstated.

More important is body build and how you play.

For example, Brennan in 195cm, yet has a very slim build and doesn't play like a KPP. Cale Morton is 194cm and is a running midfielder.

On the other hand, Brendan Fevola is 191cm, but has the stocky build and plays like a Fullfoward, Pavlich as well only 192cm but has the build of a KPP. Carey was 190cm, Neitz was 191cm.

Darling is a big boy with the build of a KPP who plays like a KPP. He has some great attributes that should definitely translate to AFL.

Honestly doubt that Tom Lynch will be there at our pick, severely doubt it

I think the same, & a tall like J Darling would not be a bad Blend to our existing forward list.

Qualify: I'm mixed re a Smedts type,,, or Darling. Either would do me. But,,, with the class we have in the likes of Sylvia, Jurrah, Wonna, Green, Petterd, Watts, & the Super Tall Fitzpatrick, the forward type we don't have is that aggressive, take it on type, that Allen Jackovich had.

I wouldn't be unhappy to have that different character type on the list of forwards.

On the other hand, we could also pick a small/medium running defender (poss Josh Green),,, or a Tall with Pick 32 as well, (Callum Sinclair) or someone.

Edited by dee-luded

I think the same, & a tall like J Darling would not be a bad Blend to our existing forward list.

Qualify: I'm mixed re a Smedts type,,, or Darling. Either would do me. But,,, with the class we have in the likes of Sylvia, Jurrah, Wonna, Green, Petterd, Watts, & the Super Tall Fitzpatrick, the forward type we don't have is that aggressive, take it on type, that Allen Jackovich had.

I wouldn't be unhappy to have that different character type on the list of forwards.

On the other hand, we could also pick a small/medium running defender (poss Josh Green),,, or a Tall with Pick 32 as well, (Callum Sinclair) or someone.

Tapscott can be this man. But I would love to have Darling accompany him. Darling really shouldn't slip to us, he is too talented. If he does i'd love to take him. Does anyone think though if he does slip to us, other clubs are worried about potential trouble with this kid? I'm trusting the FD either way, just feel he shouldnt get to us.

E, you've finally moved yourself onto the idea of a KPP. Over Smedts or just prefer the others.

I like Darling. In every premiership team, theres a risk player. Collingwood went Leigh Brown and drafted Sidebottom earlier than expected. Geelong i would say is a moderate exception but Stuey Dew for Hawthorn is another. Darling is a risk i'd certainly be willing to take!

The reality is that this year we have no control over our first pick. At selection 12 there's a wide and even field of candidates after the first three Gold Coast selections and any given player could go anywhere. The next month should be interesting as speculation mounts as to who we get at 12. I'm fairly certain we'll get good quality there but the real test of our recruiting people IMO will be what they do with their later selections and from the PSD (if we're involved) and the rookie draft.

E, you've finally moved yourself onto the idea of a KPP. Over Smedts or just prefer the others.

I like Darling. In every premiership team, theres a risk player. Collingwood went Leigh Brown and drafted Sidebottom earlier than expected. Geelong i would say is a moderate exception but Stuey Dew for Hawthorn is another. Darling is a risk i'd certainly be willing to take!

No, I've always favoured Lynch over any but the top 3.

If you'd paid attention to my posts (I don't blame you for not doing so) then you'd know that.

I just find it highly unlikely he'll still be available at pick 12.

He'd be best available.

The thing I liked about him is that he has awareness. He knows what is going on out there. The elite footballers have one thing in common; they all have awareness.Jack Grimes has awareness and that is why he will be a star and the same with Tom Scully. Aaron Davey also has awareness but then he's a star already.

Most of the others eg Darling don't have the awareness factor which will preclude them from being a star. I also like Andrew Gaff. He is very aware.