Elite players

Guest grimes4

Guest grimes4

When assesing our current list and comparing it to the rest of the league and that of Collingwoods list I thought it would be interesting to see everyones thoughts on who they thought our elite players were. Then next to consider who has the potential of becoming elite on what we saw this year. What i consider to be elite would to be classified as being within the top 30 AFL players within the league.

Collingwoods list:

Elite:

Pendlebury

Jolly

Swan

Maxwell

Didak

Potential:

O'Brien

Reid

Thomas

Dawes

Cloke

Wellingham

Melbourne's List:

Elite:

Frawley

Jamar

Green

Potential to be elite:

Grimes

Watts

Scully

Jurrah

Sylvia

Davey

What are your thoughts? Is/will our list be really good enough to win a flag in the next few years?

Edited by grimes4

Your missing Trengove, Garland that for mine have potential to be elite.

I wouldn't call Nick Maxwell elite. As far as potential, I like Watts chances more than Dawes to become elite.

If I was being honest, Jamar & Frawley had elite seasons. They need to do this again and again before they are elite. Green is IMO.

I think we have a very high potential to see at least 6 or so Demons become elite. Not just yet.

When assesing our current list and comparing it to the rest of the league and that of Collingwoods list I thought it would be interesting to see everyones thoughts on who they thought our elite players were. Then next to consider who has the potential of becoming elite on what we saw this year. What i consider to be elite would to be classified as being within the top 30 AFL players within the league.

Collingwoods list:

Elite:

Pendlebury

Jolly

Swan

Maxwell

Didak

Potential:

O'Brien

Reid

Thomas

Dawes

Cloke

Wellingham

Melbourne's List:

Elite:

Frawley

Jamar

Green

Potential to be elite:

Grimes

Watts

Scully

Jurrah

Sylvia

Davey

What are your thoughts? Is/will our list be really good enough to win a flag in the next few years?

Only Frawley is in the top 30 for me. Green extremely close; Davey not far away.

I think the only thing stopping Grimes might be injury.

Jurrah and Sylvia certainly could be.

Far too early to tell on Watts and Scully, but both have shown really good signs. (Also far too early to tell whether a flag is within the realms of possibility.)

The other one I'd throw in is Garland.

Jamar: no.

none of the players named in the "potential to be elite" for collingwood will ever be elite. all for reasons different to each other.

Cloke - his kicking

O'Brien - flashy but will not be elite...ever

Thomas - had very good year, has the greatest potential to elevate

Wellingham - solid but i think has reached his peak

Reid - a wanna be Frawley B)

Dawes - a work horse, but no potential to be elite

I do not think we have any "Elite" players on our list at present. I say that because "elite" players are the very best.

R. Flower was an "Elite" player.

We have A grade Players (Green & almost Davey if he can just be a little more consistent) and players with big chances to become "elite" players, but until we start to win on Hostile grounds & on Friday & Saturday nights, & then carry it through to september i will reserve judgement on that word.

I want our whole list to be "elite", but i also want big results so they are worthy recipients.

If we want to win a new batch of Premiership Cups we all must raise the bar on what we see as "elite"

The term "elite" gets bandied around a fair bit, my definition of it would be at the very top of the tree- those that dominate consistantly. I think there is a difference between a great player and an elite one. Top 30 doesn't mean elite.

The term "elite" gets bandied around a fair bit, my definition of it would be at the very top of the tree- those that dominate consistantly. I think there is a difference between a great player and an elite one. Top 30 doesn't mean elite.

Exactly- A player who dominates consistently is "elite" R. Flower was the last MFC player to do that.

another 2c

Jolly is not elite..hes good.. Jamar is ( or might be considered so ) as he got an AA guernsey... That filth bloke didnt ;) lol

For those who go with Morton in this exercise, I'd love to know why.

I'm not potting him - I just haven't seen enough to make me think he'll be a star.

Also, while gazing into your crystal ball, tell me where you think he'll play his best and most valuable footy.

Brendan Goddard

I would not consider any of these players, (Melb or Coll) as elite.

I would say Pendlebury has the most potential at pies. I still do not rate Swan as elite, even though he is a great player.

I would consider Sylvia, Frawley and Grimes as our closest thing to, and could become. Watts, Scully, have potential also but still to early to say. We do have a number of players with good potential to become elite.

I do not think we have any "Elite" players on our list at present. I say that because "elite" players are the very best.

R. Flower was an "Elite" player.

We have A grade Players (Green & almost Davey if he can just be a little more consistent) and players with big chances to become "elite" players, but until we start to win on Hostile grounds & on Friday & Saturday nights, & then carry it through to september i will reserve judgement on that word.

I want our whole list to be "elite", but i also want big results so they are worthy recipients.

If we want to win a new batch of Premiership Cups we all must raise the bar on what we see as "elite"

If you don't think Davey is an elite player then think which player the opposition coaches attempt to stop. Its usually Davey because he is our most creative and skilled play maker. There is no doubt in my mind that he is an A grader by anyone's standards.

If you don't think Davey is an elite player then think which player the opposition coaches attempt to stop. Its usually Davey because he is our most creative and skilled play maker. There is no doubt in my mind that he is an A grader by anyone's standards.

A grader, yeah sure. Elite? No- Opposition coaches attempt to stop him because he is deadly by foot. To let him run free would be negligent.

If Davey learns to break the hard tag you have your 'Elite' right there. Remember, A grade is A grade, Elite is consistant domination. Huge difference

A grader yes-"Elite" no. To be Elite Aaron must learn to beat his opponent when the screws are applied, like Judd did to us this year for a match winning Quarter.

Now if Davey is being held-He stays held most of the time.

Big year for Flash coming up 2011. He is now a senior player.

Guest grimes4

Nick Maxwell elite?

I threw up in my mouth a little.

I guess i have probably used the wrong word in 'elite' but name one player in the entire AFL that plays the same role as Maxwell anywhere near as well?

Guest grimes4

another 2c

Jolly is not elite..hes good.. Jamar is ( or might be considered so ) as he got an AA guernsey... That filth bloke didnt ;) lol

Two time premiership winning player that always stands up in big games? I'd have him over Jamar anyday!

I guess i have probably used the wrong word in 'elite' but name one player in the entire AFL that plays the same role as Maxwell anywhere near as well?

Jason Cloke.

You did mean never play on a man as a loose defender all year and not have to be accountable, didnt you?