I cant hold my tongue any more

Parma

I have read post after post and ive had enough.

I cant believe those who keep saying that we need another ruckman. We have the 2nd best in the game in Jamar. Those in the

know say Fitzy will be a gun. Gawn is a few years off but the best in recruiting all rating him. And Johnson won a VFL league B and F . Did HALE??? nope so why will he be better than Johnson???? He wont simple as that. Also Spencer has now had AFL experience and will get bigger and better.

Big men take time and i believe from the above we will finish with 3 good ruckmen/forwards in 2-3 years. We got rid of Simmonds and Jolly before they matured. I say no more.

There is no one in the AFL who we would want except Sandelands and I think Warnock. Well we aint geting either so lets stop worrying about other 2nd rate players we will have great big men in the next few years. The guys like Hampson, Jacobs etc are no better than what we have just that they are a year or two longer in the system.

As far as trading goes, stuff all for us unless Jones or Bruce decide to leave, and if they do lets ask for draft picks GC has all the decent players covered so lets not chase players who wouldnt play in our best side anyway.

I feel so much better. :)

I feel very strongly that Cox is coming to Melbourne. From what I've heard, that is the word among Eagles supporters in Perth. And I see a few Eagles fans on BF (I know, I know) quipping at such an occurrence.

But we need another tall that is CAPABLE of playing forward, and Cox is that man. Jamar doing what he does in the ruck, and Cox, even Sandilands, roaming up along the wing and around the forward line? Would be unbelievably good for us. And I really think the team is going to try and get a trade aggressively for a big, established player.

I feel very strongly that Cox is coming to Melbourne. From what I've heard, that is the word among Eagles supporters in Perth. And I see a few Eagles fans on BF (I know, I know) quipping at such an occurrence.

But we need another tall that is CAPABLE of playing forward, and Cox is that man. Jamar doing what he does in the ruck, and Cox, even Sandilands, roaming up along the wing and around the forward line? Would be unbelievably good for us. And I really think the team is going to try and get a trade aggressively for a big, established player.

I would love to a fit Cox in our forward line. I wonder how long the medicos think he can play for?

And while I understand the OP and the desire to wait for one of the three to come on, we do need a deep target. Jurrah does a good job of it but I would prefer a big lump in the square that could help Jamar out in the ruck.

Right now, we don't have a player like that near our top 25-30 players.

I wouldn't want to put all my eggs in one basket that Jamar is going to stay fit for the whole season again. Personally I'd rather not see us having to rely on Johnson, Spencer or god forbid Newton if Jamar is out for three, four, five weeks.

Not questioning your sources, or your 'vibe', but i'm wondering why we would invest in a 29 year old ruckman, who keeps getting niggling injuries (although he played 22 games this year). Even if we were a remote chance to 'get' him, i would be thinking that he would cost too much.

Not questioning your sources, or your 'vibe', but i'm wondering why we would invest in a 29 year old ruckman, who keeps getting niggling injuries (although he played 22 games this year). Even if we were a remote chance to 'get' him, i would be thinking that he would cost too much.

It's just a load of crap birthday boy- he is a broken down old crock.

I cant believe those who keep saying that we need another ruckman. We have the 2nd best in the game in Jamar. Those in the

know say Fitzy will be a gun. Gawn is a few years off but the best in recruiting all rating him. And Johnson won a VFL league B and F . Did HALE??? nope so why will he be better than Johnson???? He wont simple as that. Also Spencer has now had AFL experience and will get bigger and better.

Big men take time and i believe from the above we will finish with 3 good ruckmen/forwards in 2-3 years. We got rid of Simmonds and Jolly before they matured. I say no more.

There is no one in the AFL who we would want except Sandelands and I think Warnock. Well we aint geting either so lets stop worrying about other 2nd rate players we will have great big men in the next few years. The guys like Hampson, Jacobs etc are no better than what we have just that they are a year or two longer in the system.

As far as trading goes, stuff all for us unless Jones or Bruce decide to leave, and if they do lets ask for draft picks GC has all the decent players covered so lets not chase players who wouldnt play in our best side anyway.

I feel so much better. :)

agree 100%

we have our premiership side already, they just need to mature and peak together in 2-3 years.. that is Bailey's plan and it is working

We have Jamar. That's it.

Gawn looks exciting but he's barely played any senior footy and is a long way off. Fitzpatrick is a 50s pick that seems promising but is, again, a long way off and no certain thing.

PJ was drafted in 2002 and hasn't cracked a permanent gig yet, while the jury is out on Spencer. Even if Spencer makes it, can we carry two lumbering rucks in the one side? I'm not so sure.

Give me a dollar for every time a MFC supporter - this goes for supporters of all Clubs - says some kid is a certain thing and I'd be a rich man. Just dredge up threads on Bell, Miller and CJ.

We have Jamar. That's it.

Gawn looks exciting but he's barely played any senior footy and is a long way off. Fitzpatrick is a 50s pick that seems promising but is, again, a long way off and no certain thing.

PJ was drafted in 2002 and hasn't cracked a permanent gig yet, while the jury is out on Spencer. Even if Spencer makes it, can we carry two lumbering rucks in the one side? I'm not so sure.

Give me a dollar for every time a MFC supporter - this goes for supporters of all Clubs - says some kid is a certain thing and I'd be a rich man. Just dredge up threads on Bell, Miller and CJ.

I agree with your thoughts- however what would you like our FD do- recruit another ruckman or keep developing what we have and gain whom this draft?

I think I was personally responsible for 200,000 McLean Next Big Thing posts.

I think you'll find we had it about right with the amount of big men we had on our list this year. People asking for one more is a reflection of the fact most think either Spence or PJ are gone. Or both.

Nothing wrong with that, is there?

Also we keep hearing Fitzy is being looked at as a forward only. So that might explain why many don't include him.

Hands up if you didn't watch the last four rounds of footy this year?

ok those with there hands up:

In those last few rounds, an absolute beast who had carried the ruck began to get slower, look considerably less dominant etc.

We have the no. 2 ruckman in the league, and if it's a one off must win fine, but it's hopefully a 25-26 game season, its simply not possible to play at an elite level as a one man ruckman.

Every extra game Jamar plays solo puts at risk his health, need a second ruck just to keep Jamar fresh. personally thought PJ when he returned late in the year did a decent job

In those last few rounds, an absolute beast who had carried the ruck began to get slower, look considerably less dominant etc.

We have the no. 2 ruckman in the league, and if it's a one off must win fine, but it's hopefully a 25-26 game season, its simply not possible to play at an elite level as a one man ruckman.

Every extra game Jamar plays solo puts at risk his health, need a second ruck just to keep Jamar fresh. personally thought PJ when he returned late in the year did a decent job

100% spot on!

personally thought PJ when he returned late in the year did a decent job

He had some ok games agreed. Although his games against Essendon & Hawthorn againts lesser ruckmen in Bellchambers & Skipper were deplorable and reafirmed my belief that we should get rid of him.

I'd much rather see Spencer, Fitzpatrick & Martin battle it out for our 2nd ruckman spot.

I think we should rookie list a mature age ruckman from the VFL, WAFL or SANFL to cover in the event that Jamar were to go down with a serious injury.

Because of the nature of Ruckman (they don't all make it and they take years to develop), i don't think its a bad thing to have a few developing ruckman on the list, especially when 2 of them can develop whilst on our rookie list.

If only to hedge our bets.

Jamar is very good, PJ is a dud, which means we currently have 3 developing ruckman on our list (Spenser ®, Fitzpatrick and Gawn).

It wouldn't hurt to recruit another ruckman onto our rookie list, with lots of rookie list spots opening up this year. I wouldn't be surprised if we even recruited another ruckman in the national draft if Lycett or Gorringe are available are pick 12.

If we have a few developing ruckman, we can hope that 1 of them develops and becomes a dominant ruckman. If we are lucky to get 2 or 3 to develop nicely, ruckman have enourmous trade value

Because of the nature of Ruckman (they don't all make it and they take years to develop), i don't think its a bad thing to have a few developing ruckman on the list, especially when 2 of them can develop whilst on our rookie list.

If only to hedge our bets.

Jamar is very good, PJ is a dud, which means we currently have 3 developing ruckman on our list (Spenser ®, Fitzpatrick and Gawn).

It wouldn't hurt to recruit another ruckman onto our rookie list, with lots of rookie list spots opening up this year. I wouldn't be surprised if we even recruited another ruckman in the national draft if Lycett or Gorringe are available are pick 12.

If we have a few developing ruckman, we can hope that 1 of them develops and becomes a dominant ruckman. If we are lucky to get 2 or 3 to develop nicely, ruckman have enourmous trade value

Agree with you're comments 100%. Good ruckman are like hen's teeth and by having another backup for Jamar and the developing Gawn, Spencer and Fitzpatrick (who I personally think will develop into a forward capable of holding down a ruck role at times) would be a wise move forward.

If you look at the top 4 teams this year, the obvious missing link that the MFC needs is a relief ruckman capable of pushing forward and regularly kicking goals. You see the likes of Leigh Brown, Ottens, Minson, Jolly, and even Gardener able to do it regularly. Sandilands is the complete ruckman, not simply due to his height, mobility and influence in the ruck contest but also because he is also able to push forward and hurt teams on the scoreboard.

PJ has been tried (and failed) there, we're tried Martin and Fitzpatrick there in roles in the VFL and both appear some time away from filling such a role. Spencer appears more of a mobile ruckman than a possible forward option and Gawn remains the unknown piece in the puzzle.

Agree with you're comments 100%. Good ruckman are like hen's teeth and by having another backup for Jamar and the developing Gawn, Spencer and Fitzpatrick (who I personally think will develop into a forward capable of holding down a ruck role at times) would be a wise move forward.

If you look at the top 4 teams this year, the obvious missing link that the MFC needs is a relief ruckman capable of pushing forward and regularly kicking goals. You see the likes of Leigh Brown, Ottens, Minson, Jolly, and even Gardener able to do it regularly. Sandilands is the complete ruckman, not simply due to his height, mobility and influence in the ruck contest but also because he is also able to push forward and hurt teams on the scoreboard.

PJ has been tried (and failed) there, we're tried Martin and Fitzpatrick there in roles in the VFL and both appear some time away from filling such a role. Spencer appears more of a mobile ruckman than a possible forward option and Gawn remains the unknown piece in the puzzle.

St.kilda took a great Punt on Gardiner didn't they, he has been Brilliant, and good luck to him.

Just Shows the odd rough diamond does come through.

We need a Ruckmen like him. Can take crucial pack marks and kicks goals, his 3rd Q last week was St.kilda's spark back into the game.

St.kilda took a great Punt on Gardiner didn't they, he has been Brilliant, and good luck to him.

Just Shows the odd rough diamond does come through.

We need a Ruckmen like him. Can take crucial pack marks and kicks goals, his 3rd Q last week was St.kilda's spark back into the game.

I think the Pies have pulled of the biggest coup in getting both Jolly and Leigh Brown. Both ruckman with size, mobility and capable of playing a relief role up forward. Gardiner has always had the potential to destroy a game, however he just doesn't do it consistently enough. I vividly remember Gardiner getting droped at the WCE into the WAFL and kicking a lazy 12 as a ruckman who spent 1/2 the game up forward.

I think that Jamar, Gawn and Fitzpatick are all capable of playing a similar role, my concern is that there is a lack of ruck support at present for Jamar which could potentially shorten his career.

I think the Pies have pulled of the biggest coup in getting both Jolly and Leigh Brown. Both ruckman with size, mobility and capable of playing a relief role up forward. Gardiner has always had the potential to destroy a game, however he just doesn't do it consistently enough. I vividly remember Gardiner getting droped at the WCE into the WAFL and kicking a lazy 12 as a ruckman who spent 1/2 the game up forward.

I think that Jamar, Gawn and Fitzpatick are all capable of playing a similar role, my concern is that there is a lack of ruck support at present for Jamar which could potentially shorten his career.

I agree with the above, my point about Gardiner was that he was damaged goods when he left Wet Coke, and he really took his chance.

Leigh Brown was also at the Cross roads so yeah, theFilth have done well sadly.

Best post on this thread !!!!