2010 Player Review - # 4 Jack Watts

Demonland

- Had an interrupted pre-season but worked his way into the senior team. Showed signs of class but may need to bulk up a bit more. Didn't star at any stage but there was plenty of promise. Luke Holmesby melbournefc

Games MFC 2010 15 Career 18 Goals MFC 2010 10 Career 12

Games CSFC 2010 5 Goals CSFC 2010 8

Looking forward to Jack putting on a few more kgs over the pre-season. Gaining more strength is more important for him than anything. I think his perceived lack of aggression will be overcome by his natural will to want to be better.

As said, some very good signs without being a star at anytime. But IMO he has all the makings to become one. Some great snippets of ball use, by foot and hand. Racking up 27 touches against Lions.

A glass well and truly half full.

some very good signs without being a star at anytime. But IMO he has all the makings to become one. Some great snippets of ball use, by foot and hand. Racking up 27 touches against Lions.

Time will tell if Jack will become our N. Riewoldt / Pavlich / Franklin.

More kg's in the offseason to help him solidify his spot as CHF.

All Jack needs is time and games.

He's shown he has the raw tools to be a star of the game.

I'll just sit back, wait patiently and laugh at the morons who are stupid enough to still ridicule him.

i think jack watts is going to be a great player, the one thing he has that i am suprised about is quality of disposal, he uses the ball pretty well, and his kicking for goal more often than not is really good.

i had a chat with him at the best and fairest and i he told me he loses around 3 kilos every match, so its hard to keep the weight up, but in 2-3 years he will definately imo be a ripper player.

i hope next season we see him crash a few packs with a strong attack on the ball, because his biggest problem is he seems to slow down when body contact is going to occur.

Jack learnt in 2010 that he needs to work a lot harder to make it as an AFL footballer. In his first few games he didn't have the tank required to play at AFL level, with games this improved and we saw him work hard up the ground on leads then as all good forwards do work hard leading back towards goal. The last few games he had limited impact but he knows what he needs to do over preseason to improve his game. Fitness is the key he needs to stay fit over the next 12 months.

I'll just sit back, wait patiently and laugh at the morons who are stupid enough to still ridicule him.

Hear hear.

I'm getting so damn sick of the tripe bantered towards me about Watts. And one of the 'banterers' being a Dons supporter who has that hack #2 draft pick in Scott Gumbleton!!!!

I'm looking forward to having the last laugh...

Jack learnt in 2010 that he needs to work a lot harder to make it as an AFL footballer. In his first few games he didn't have the tank required to play at AFL level, with games this improved and we saw him work hard up the ground on leads then as all good forwards do work hard leading back towards goal. The last few games he had limited impact but he knows what he needs to do over preseason to improve his game. Fitness is the key he needs to stay fit over the next 12 months.

I think you are correct!

I am one of the doubting Thomas'

However I will give him another season or two to prove me wrong

( no choice as he is signed up for three more and I do want him to be very good).

He did finish the season poorly however he had a few mates among the young brigade.

22 games is a long time to be up if you are in your first couple of seasons and he did not have much of a pre season.

It will be a stronger, more confident and more settled Watts that will take to the paddock next season. It now will be a case of Watts realizing he does indeed belong and deiiver as per his abilty. He'll step up ;)

It will be a stronger, more confident and more settled Watts that will take to the paddock next season. It now will be a case of Watts realizing he does indeed belong and deiiver as per his abilty. He'll step up ;)

I am praying ( not something I do alot ) you are correct.

Hear hear.

I'm getting so damn sick of the tripe bantered towards me about Watts. And one of the 'banterers' being a Dons supporter who has that hack #2 draft pick in Scott Gumbleton!!!!

I'm looking forward to having the last laugh...

The irony...

What's that saying about throwing glass bricks at the house you live in or something..?

Gumbleton looks pretty good to me, but his development has been hampered by injuries.

The irony...

What's that saying about throwing glass bricks at the house you live in or something..?

Gumbleton looks pretty good to me, but his development has been hampered by injuries.

" poeple who live in glass houses should not throw stones"

It will take 5 to 6 years for Jack Watts to reach near his prime. This will be his first major full pre season coming up-- and this will assist him greatly with his confidence and development.

Just watch his first Half against Port Power up in Darwin.

He can play & my God he knows exactly what he wants to do with the ball.

Just needs to work on his fitness tank so he doesn't fatigue late in a game

so his Hand & Foot skills are still as sharp.

Big 2011 for Jack.

It will be the great balancing act this pre season. Getting him fitter but getting him stronger.

At this stage i would lean to more of a strength orientated program (core strength especially).

Can't wait for 2-3 years of this kid developing and watching him tear the competition a new one when he is at the ripe old age of 22!!!!

After the glimpses we have seen this year, I'm fully convinced that we made the right selection in early November 2008. Jack will be a very, very good AFL footballer, and a key ingredient in our climb from base camp to the summit.

I predict that next year we'll reach our 1000th Jack Watts thread on Demonland.

Exciting times ahead!

Oh please "Jaded" I don't think I could bare it!

Then again if he kicks 4 in the opening game next year I will probably endure it.

Jack Watts with a Dunn mo.... Unstoppable :lol:

Next year is going to be exciting, with many more nail bitting clashes.

Edit: Mr Administrator, could you by any chance add a little rating chart at the top of the page for each player so the members to give their rating out of 10 for the player... Just a suggestion. :)

Edited by Sturmmann

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

The thing I most liked about Jacks performances this year was his shortcomings and the way he worked hard to get them out of his game. It seemed that every perceived flaw that was noted was worked on so it wasn't there the next game. I really like that in a footballer and I love it in such a talented one. A couple more kg's and a good preseason and the rest of the football world will really take note of him for the right reasons.