Bailey on SEN

old dee

Heard Dean Bailey on SEN this afternoon

Among other things he said that we need a big key position forward to play deep in the forward line

( not a surprise ) who can also play a secondary role as a ruckman.

Gave the suggestion that we might use a draft pick for an established player.

If not this year than next year

Said we have plenty of "lead up forwards" but we need someone to play deep in attack.

Did any one else hear his interview?

Perhaps I am reading too much into this!

but I think we might surprise by trading an early pick this year for this type of player.

Edited by old dee

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Roughead contracted at the Hawks? He should be our target.

We could offer him a nicer contract than Hawthorn.

Hawthorn to get Pick 12 & Warnock?

His kicking would need to improve. I am sure it will. Still young enough to correct! Could play ruck also I would think.

Can be very damaging...

Yep. The term "stay at home forward" cops a bit of criticism in the modern footy vernacular but that is exactly what we need. Doesn't need to be an out and out champion either, just a competent forward who has the required strength and agility to give our ball carrieris confidence in kicking to a 1 on 1 (if required) and compliment our mobile forwards. If it wasn't already the case, I think it is curtains for Newton given he mentioned the rucking side of things. I'd be surprised if they gave up a first rounder but a player and a 2nd could be on the radar.

His kicking would need to improve. I am sure it will. Still young enough to correct! Could play ruck also I would think.

Can be very damaging...

I wish "Jungle Dee" there is no chance IMO the hawks would let him go even if his kicking is poor.

Improve his kicking and the Hawks would be playing this weekend

and fortunately they know it.

we should go after MRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. KENNEDY............... Kennedy

if he is out of contract.

to be honest i dont think he is

I think he is contracted and read the Eagles List Assessment earlier today.

I'd say they is no chance they would trade.

He was one of the few bright spots on their list.

Edited by old dee

we should go after MRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. KENNEDY............... Kennedy

It's Mr Anderson now though!! :P

There's no Anderson in the AFL... hrmm.

Roughead is ideal but a VERY long shot.

Jones + pick 12 to Ess

Ess gives us pick 8 and second round 28?

pick 8 to Fremantle for mundy 193cm good size

pick 28? to WCE for Q lynch can play forward and ruck, 27 years old has 3 good years left at least

Then warnock to Carl,Hawthorn for pick 20ish for a KPP

Can be very damaging...

i copped flak for floating jones for alwyn davey . and rightly so. it was just an old day dream of mine to have the brothers playing together. but roughhead is a dead set spud. with the exception of players going to gc, big forwards are not available. fev did stuff all at brisbane. we must develop our own talent

Edited by Al`s DEMONS

i copped flak for floating jones for alwyn davey . and rightly so. it was just an old day dream of mine to have the brothers playing together. but roughhead is a dead set spud. with the exception of players going to gc, big forwards are not available. fev did stuff all at brisbane. we must develop our own talent

Wow...

Didn't hear the interview but i have read that we may have some serious interest in Tom Lynch from Stkilda, he is far from a short term fix but the wraps on him as a key forward / 2nd Ruck are pretty high. But once again is probably 3-4 years of his body being fully developed and him hitting his straps.

From the OP's reports it does sound like we are going to trade for a Big MATURE Key forward / 2nd ruck. My Guess would be someone in 23 - 27 year old bracket. Roughhead or Kozi would be good IMO, but both are surely of limits. David Hale is available, but i am far from sold on him, Carlton have a couple of big Ruckman but are just that Ruckman / Resting Forwards. Essendon have quite a few stockpiled but can't see them trading. Sydney have Jesse White?? Could be ok?? West Coast have the Big Q?? Apart from that i can't think of any Listed AFL players that would be available any other thoughts?

Heard Dean Bailey on SEN this afternoon

Among other things he said that we need a big key position forward to play deep in the forward line

( not a surprise ) who can also play a secondary role as a ruckman.

Gave the suggestion that we might use a draft pick for an established player.

If not this year than next year

Said we have plenty of "lead up forwards" but we need someone to play deep in attack.

Did any one else hear his interview?

Perhaps I am reading too much into this!

but I think we might surprise by trading an early pick this year for this type of player.

Can be very damaging...

Obviously Roughhead would be nice and would fit well IMO. I don't mind that, pick 12 and Warnock but if it were the other way around would I take it? Perhaps not. But if I was a Hawk I would also understand that we need a Key Defender, Stratton looks ok and that would leave Gibson to the 3rd best forward, not the best. But is that worth giving up Rough?

I don't think we will trade at all this year. Next year will be different after a few more kids play and we see for sure what our deficiencies are.

Fitzpatrick is one that, on potential, could play deep forward and as a secondary ruck. We need to see a bit of him and others before we trade.

Should the right offer come for a Jones, Warnock etc I am sure we will listen, but IMO it's not of concern.

What?!

Don't embarrass us.

The guy is a very good FF. Bailey would love to do that deal.

Didn't hear the interview, but I don't think it would be smart to trade our first draft pick now, and I am hoping Bailey is thinking the same. Very happy to go after a big forward/ruck because I think it is the last 'type' of player we really need. However I don't think this player should come at too great a cost, especially if it is going to deny us some serious talent.

I think someone like Q.Lynch is the answer. We don't need a massive goalkicker, we have Bate, Dunn, Green, Jurrah, Petterd and hopefully Watts for that. We need someone who breaks the packs open for them all. Could pick 32 get the deal done?

Didn't hear the interview, but I don't think it would be smart to trade our first draft pick now, and I am hoping Bailey is thinking the same. Very happy to go after a big forward/ruck because I think it is the last 'type' of player we really need. However I don't think this player should come at too great a cost, especially if it is going to deny us some serious talent.

I think someone like Q.Lynch is the answer. We don't need a massive goalkicker, we have Bate, Dunn, Green, Jurrah, Petterd and hopefully Watts for that. We need someone who breaks the packs open for them all. Could pick 32 get the deal done?

Lynch is as good as delisted. i think we could get him for whatever we wanted.

not sure he will be the solution but im certainly not opposed. I don't think we'd lose anything bringing him over for a year

What?!

Don't embarrass us.

The guy is a very good FF. Bailey would love to do that deal.

embarrus who? my opinion is mine not yours. hawks have a pretty good midfield, giving their forwards plenty of the pill. buddy is the one getting double teamed, pushing up the ground, kicking freakish goals from all parts of the ground including outside fitty. roughhead the stay at home full forward. kicking from 25-40 out . in 2010(22 matches) he kicked 49 goals, super effort. hold on , he also kicked 43 behinds. thats right 43. some of those outings include

-4goals5

-3goals5

-0goals2

-0goals2

-0goals3

some of the shots i saw him miss this year remind me of richo. dead in front from varying distances. yes he can play the game. rocket eade can also coach.(barry hall was the answer to all his problems,or so he had us believe). listen to the experts - the chief , dermie ,hairyman and bt. a persons kicking action takes hours and hours to change. for many its a mental thing. watts is a vey good kick of the ball. the freo game was a shocker for him. give him time . develop our own talent. roughead needs to be more consistent.

LOL @ Roughead being a spud. I'd happily take this spud if Hawthorn wanted to get rid of him... which they don't/won't/never will :rolleyes:

It's important that we don't lose sight of our need for a big, stay at home forward, and our need to keep getting the absolute best available talent on our list. If we start compromising talent for need, we'll be in big trouble. We've tried it before with Luke Molan, Nick Smith, Ben Holland, Craig Ellis and every one of those experiments failed.

It would be great to find a young developing tall at another club who wants out, or a club with a surplus of talls who is seeking a trade or a pick upgrade, but in reality I can't see that happening for at least a year or two. One because we don't have much value to give other clubs (pick 12 in a compromised draft and fringe players), and two, because we're not yet in a position to seriously challenge for a flag.

Roughead dropped a couple of gimmee overhead marks in the final the other week and one bounced of his chest, his kicking was ordinary and he looked like he couldn't give a ....

He kicked a few but should have done much better given the opportunities he had.

Roughead dropped a couple of gimmee overhead marks in the final the other week and one bounced of his chest, his kicking was ordinary and he looked like he couldn't give a ....

He kicked a few but should have done much better given the opportunities he had.

This only demonstrates how powerful confidence can be.

Instill players with the confidence in themselves and each other and what they can achieve will surprise you.

I'm of the opinion that Bailey is good in this area and understands its importance.

LOL @ Roughead being a spud. I'd happily take this spud if Hawthorn wanted to get rid of him... which they don't/won't/never will :rolleyes:

It's important that we don't lose sight of our need for a big, stay at home forward, and our need to keep getting the absolute best available talent on our list. If we start compromising talent for need, we'll be in big trouble. We've tried it before with Luke Molan, Nick Smith, Ben Holland, Craig Ellis and every one of those experiments failed.

It would be great to find a young developing tall at another club who wants out, or a club with a surplus of talls who is seeking a trade or a pick upgrade, but in reality I can't see that happening for at least a year or two. One because we don't have much value to give other clubs (pick 12 in a compromised draft and fringe players), and two, because we're not yet in a position to seriously challenge for a flag.

Ben McKinley anyone ? Don't know much of Jim other than he wants to come home.

Didn't hear the interview but i have read that we may have some serious interest in Tom Lynch from Stkilda, he is far from a short term fix but the wraps on him as a key forward / 2nd Ruck are pretty high. But once again is probably 3-4 years of his body being fully developed and him hitting his straps.

From the OP's reports it does sound like we are going to trade for a Big MATURE Key forward / 2nd ruck. My Guess would be someone in 23 - 27 year old bracket. Roughhead or Kozi would be good IMO, but both are surely of limits. David Hale is available, but i am far from sold on him, Carlton have a couple of big Ruckman but are just that Ruckman / Resting Forwards. Essendon have quite a few stockpiled but can't see them trading. Sydney have Jesse White?? Could be ok?? West Coast have the Big Q?? Apart from that i can't think of any Listed AFL players that would be available any other thoughts?

MITCH CLARK.....go and get MITCH CLARK

He can ruck, is a very good athlete, can play forward and whilst down there can mark, kick goals and put forward pressure on the opposition

i laugh out loud too when he misses shot after shot. dont compromise talent for need, good point. yet people want to pick up the big Q stick.(maybe not you , but many have raised his name). in two years who do you have earmarked that will be available? and in two years how far do you thinks watts , jurrah ,fitzpatrick and co will have progressed? whether you have a big boddied full forward or not , the play on/quick ball movement game plan gives your forward structure maimum oppurtunity. thats the way we are playing. if watts, green, pettard, aussie, lj and dunn can all play 22 games next year we could be playing finals. green ,dunn and lj can take a pack mark,and dunn adds some grunt. geelong have shown you work with what youve got.

Edited by Al`s DEMONS

Lynch is as good as delisted. i think we could get him for whatever we wanted.

not sure he will be the solution but im certainly not opposed. I don't think we'd lose anything bringing him over for a year

I think if we got Lynch it would really be a slap in the face to Brad Miller.Around the same age, ability and height. No cannot see us doing a deal with the big Q.