Bailey on SEN

old dee

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's 186cm.

Look at our forward line, and tell me how is Ben McKinley suited? Because he's the same size as every other forward we have?

I mean really, all we have is McKinley types, but better versions.

Is it not clear we need a BIG forward?

Exactly what I was going to say.

On the Eagles website (yes I went there), he is listed as 183cm and 85kg. We already have Dunn and Petterd of that ilk (albeit Dunn is 10cm taller and 10kg heavier!).

We need a guy like J. Kennedy who is 199cm and 96kg! Or a Q. Lynch who is 199cm and 103kg!

We won't waste our resources on a medium forward who is a proven hack.

i laugh out loud too when he misses shot after shot. dont compromise talent for need, good point. yet people want to pick up the big Q stick.(maybe not you , but many have raised his name). in two years who do you have earmarked that will be available? and in two years how far do you thinks watts , jurrah ,fitzpatrick and co will have progressed? whether you have a big boddied full forward or not , the play on/quick ball movement game plan gives your forward structure maimum oppurtunity. thats the way we are playing. if watts, green, pettard, aussie, lj and dunn can all play 22 games next year we could be playing finals. green ,dunn and lj can take a pack mark,and dunn adds some grunt. geelong have shown you work with what youve got.

Geelong recruited Ottens & J Pod, that's hardly working with what they had. Also Tom Hawkwins was drafted only a couple of years ago to play key position.

And what you may ask, was Watts drafted for? Not another hit up half forward FFS?

Good grief.

I am only telling what Dean Bailey said. He is the head coach and one would assume he knows what the team needs.

If he does not know we are in a lot of trouble.

I do not believe he is fool!

He said we have a lot of "lead up forwards" and he included Watts in that group.

If he thinks Watts is a "lead up forward" who am I to argue.

Until events prove other wise Watts is a "lead up forward".

Edited by old dee

Geelong recruited Ottens & J Pod, that's hardly working with what they had. Also Tom Hawkwins was drafted only a couple of years ago to play key position.

"Bonkers" this is going off the thread but I think Hawkins is ordinary!

I have watched him now for three seasons, I have never see him do much that puts him above useful.

At Geelong he plays in a forward line that get a lot of well delivered entries.

He gets the 3 - 4 best defender and IMO does very little.

Not impressed, he was taken under the Father and Son rule but would have been a high draft pick.

If he had been taken by a lower club I suspect the press would be after his blood by now.

I am only telling what Dean Bailey said. He is the head coach and one would assume he knows what the team needs.

If he does not know we are in a lot of trouble.

I do not believe he is fool!

He said we have a lot of "lead up forwards" and he included Watts in that group.

If he thinks Watts is a "lead up forward" who am I to argue.

Until events prove other wise Watts is a "lead up forward".

Everybody seems to think Watts was recruited to stand in the goal square, no he wasn't, he is an elite kick, has great vision and as we have seen this season, can run all day........he will be a very large goal kicking forward, who will be allowed to pop up anywhere he likes........We may recurit a big body for a year or two to stand in the goal square until Gawn and Fitzpatrick are ready to play the big body forward and part time ruckman....

"Bonkers" this is going off the thread but I think Hawkins is ordinary!

I have watched him now for three seasons, I have never see him do much that puts him above useful.

At Geelong he plays in a forward line that get a lot of well delivered entries.

He gets the 3 - 4 best defender and IMO does very little.

Not impressed, he was taken under the Father and Son rule but would have been a high draft pick.

If he had been taken by a lower club I suspect the press would be after his blood by now.

I was just making the point that Geelong have drafted for KP's in the last 4-5 years.

Watts is a leading forward, be it as a leading Full Forward or a CHF. What the club is educating him to do is lead both ways, work hard up the ground and even harder back towards goals. The difference between Watts and Miller as a lead up CHF, Watts can hit targets by foot, Miller always wanted to handball.

We drafted two players last year that we want to develop into the ruck/forward option, don't forget our Giant Max Gawn he was a key forward until he had the huge growth spurt. I'm not concerned about our current forwards we have enough options with out a old school Gorilla. We need to continue to improve on getting quality ball inside our 50m arc and our transition from defensive 50 to attack, we still don't get the footy inside our forward 50m arc enough.

I would be targeting Mundy, this might cost you pick 12 but you are getting a quality ball user that can run off half back or through the middle.

Everybody seems to think Watts was recruited to stand in the goal square, no he wasn't, he is an elite kick, has great vision and as we have seen this season, can run all day........he will be a very large goal kicking forward, who will be allowed to pop up anywhere he likes........We may recurit a big body for a year or two to stand in the goal square until Gawn and Fitzpatrick are ready to play the big body forward and part time ruckman....

Yep, Watts wasn't taken because of the position he'd play for us.

He was taken because we had the number 1 pick and he was the best there.

Pretty simple.

It would be a monumental waste of his talents to lock him in the gym, plonk him in the goalsquare and pidgeon-hole him as a FF.

Watts is a leading forward, be it as a leading Full Forward or a CHF. What the club is educating him to do is lead both ways, work hard up the ground and even harder back towards goals. The difference between Watts and Miller as a lead up CHF, Watts can hit targets by foot, Miller always wanted to handball.

We drafted two players last year that we want to develop into the ruck/forward option, don't forget our Giant Max Gawn he was a key forward until he had the huge growth spurt. I'm not concerned about our current forwards we have enough options with out a old school Gorilla. We need to continue to improve on getting quality ball inside our 50m arc and our transition from defensive 50 to attack, we still don't get the footy inside our forward 50m arc enough.

I would be targeting Mundy, this might cost you pick 12 but you are getting a quality ball user that can run off half back or through the middle.

The point of starting this tread was that Bailey believes we need a big body stay at home forward in the next year or two.

It would seem that if he shares your thoughts on Max Gawn ( Plus Mckenzie ) he must believe that he/ they are some years off filling this role to be considering drafting a player of this type in the next year or two!

I think it is interesting that DB has signalled that the MFC might use a draft pick to go after an older player when all we have heard for three years is youth,youth and youth.

Yep, Watts wasn't taken because of the position he'd play for us.

He was taken because we had the number 1 pick and he was the best there.

Pretty simple.

It would be a monumental waste of his talents to lock him in the gym, plonk him in the goalsquare and pidgeon-hole him as a FF.

E25 I could not agree more.

I am a Watts doubter however if his to make it then it will be as tall fast roaming Forward as you suggest.

IMO Watts is not the type Bailey is looking for!

Guest hangon007

Daniel Curry is tall, athletic, skillful ruckmen who goes forward and kicks goals. He's 21 and and just getting his body right. Sydney took mumford and seamy in last years trading period. Watch this space.

This is an interesting one. I know many Sydney/Canberra watchers rave about him ... But he hasn't played a game of AFL.

Plus last year when Swans wanted to improve their Ruck division they went to the trade table ... that concerns me.

What price do you think we will have to pay Sydney - Who do we lose on our list to fit him in?

Edited by hangon007

This is an interesting one. I know many Sydney/Canberra watchers rave about him ... But he hasn't played a game of AFL.

Plus last year when Swans wanted to improve their Ruck division they went to the trade table ... that concerns me.

What price do you think we will have to pay Sydney - Who do we lose on our list to fit him in?

I am not interested! we have three Ruckman / Forward types who seem to me to be in the same stage of development as Him.

Bailey seemed to me to be suggesting someone 24 - 26 years old who has a proven record of some substance.

If we get then I hope you are right. He sounds like he has a bit of growing up to do.

The only thing against him, is that he had a 'sex romp' whilst on camp when he was 17. Come on, what did you want to do when you were 17??? The guy likes to have sex..............stop the presses :o

He's a real goer, tries his hardest and applies great forward pressure for a big man. As for his height, big woop. Gary Ablett snr was 185cm, Dunstall was 188cm, Lockett was 191cm, Lloyd was 192cm, Neita was 192cm, Fevola is 191cm. And for anyone who thinks he is arrogant, i doubt it would be more than Buddy at the same age (and he turned out alright).

E25 I could not agree more.

I am a Watts doubter however if his to make it then it will be as tall fast roaming Forward as you suggest.

IMO Watts is not the type Bailey is looking for!

......a Watts' doubter....I would say you are in a minority which is getting smaller all the time.....What Bailey is looking for I assume is a big body we can use as a 'get out jail' card when we attack, if we have no other option we can bomb it in and hopefully get it to ground, if not marked, and maybe clear out a few bodies.....PJ was tried, Newton was tried, both unfortunately failed.........Fitzpatrick when he puts on about another 20k and Gawn when he is physically ready will be given a go...but until then maybe a reject from another club aged about 25-28 who would be grateful to be given another crack for a year..with the option...Bailey has spoken and apart from us on here discussing it I am sure there are a few player managers doing exactly the same thing with the FD.

Edited by satyricon

It's been a long time since we've had a big strong pack marker.

Jurrah and other players on the list can do it, but it's more about the regularity and not even the marking that is important -- it's crashing a pack and bring the ball to ground, creating opportunities for our plethora of crumbers and mobile types.

We need a wrecking ball in that forward line and at the moment no one on the list fits the bill.

Darling won't be around come Pick #12.

#1 - Swallow (GC)

#2 - Bennell (GC)

#3 - Day (GC)

#4 - Darling (WCE)

Lock it in! -_-

Not likely.

Still a first rounder, but I think he'll be available at our pick now.

Especially after the fractured skull.

(Think Travis Cloke and how hesitant and timid he was for a long time after getting belted.

He is a big bloke, but the psychological scars had a serious effect.

I think it still affects his confidence and would be a factor in his goalkicking.)

The Hawks have recently resigned Roughhead for a further 2 to 3 years so they wont be trading him. And if they did they would want far more than Warnock. And players like Maric and Cheney are not "trade bait" to push the deal through

And as a premiership forward this year down on his confidence he still kicks 49 goals from 92 shots from a patchy up and down midfield....he a spud. :rolleyes:

And Watts is more a Riewoldt than Kosi type of forward. I dont see Watts as a second ruckman forward.

......a Watts' doubter....I would say you are in a minority which is getting smaller all the time.....What Bailey is looking for I assume is a big body we can use as a 'get out jail' card when we attack, if we have no other option we can bomb it in and hopefully get it to ground, if not marked, and maybe clear out a few bodies.....PJ was tried, Newton was tried, both unfortunately failed.........Fitzpatrick when he puts on about another 20k and Gawn when he is physically ready will be given a go...but until then maybe a reject from another club aged about 25-28 who would be grateful to be given another crack for a year..with the option...Bailey has spoken and apart from us on here discussing it I am sure there are a few player managers doing exactly the same thing with the FD.

And not afraid to admit it!

But this thread was not about Watts!

He is not the type Bailey is after.

I agree with your thoughts seem spot to me.

The Hawks have recently resigned Roughhead for a further 2 to 3 years so they wont be trading him. And if they did they would want far more than Warnock. And players like Maric and Cheney are not "trade bait" to push the deal through

And as a premiership forward this year down on his confidence he still kicks 49 goals from 92 shots from a patchy up and down midfield....he a spud. :rolleyes:

And Watts is more a Riewoldt than Kosi type of forward. I dont see Watts as a second ruckman forward.

Jesse White has also signed a contract extension.

Me neither