David Hale

Demon Tragic

What a fine acquisition for Box Hill!

Bailey, Renouf, Taylor, Skipper, Franklin, Roughhead. Really Hawthorn? Another ruck/forward?

The problem for the Hawks would have to be the extra $375-425K p.a. salary cap pressure. Who might they miss out on at some stage because of that?

And if Bailey & Renouf & Taylor manage against all the odds to stay fit, Hale may have gone from a number 3 ruck to a number 4 ruck, and probably getting paid much more than the 3 above him in the pecking order.

Oh well, their problem now.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, both FD's were seeking to acquire his services... but do you really think they rated him THAT highly? I'd suggest not considering the final trade...

The final trade appears to be: (source = afl website)

Hale + pick 52 ----> pick 29 + pick 71.

Basically, pick 29 was considered by the Hawks FD to be over the odds for Hale, so the Kangas had to sweeten it by allowing the Hawks to upgrade pick 71 to pick 52!

It's not clear that deal is better for North than 32 straight up unless they plan on warehousing the compo pick and using it in future. Then it could be as low as 19.

Whatever, pick 19, 29 or 32 is not for a "hack".

Edited by old55

I think that ox is right in chasing anthony - Hale is so ordinary we may as well have kept brad miller if all we wanted was a big body in the goal square. Virtually we are saying hale is better than miller if we persue Hale and given the fact that Miller has starred in the vfl yet hale was average I think persuing Hale would have been a big mistake. Sure he may be a bit more able to support jamar in the ruck but I don't think that is enough of a reason.

Anthony however showed he is a very capable forward and fits into bailey's gameplan of quick flexible players so I think we would be mad not to look at him...even if he is from the dirty pies! There has been a total lack of talk about him though in the media with regard to melbourne so something tells me we are not interested......

Guest hangon007

Oh well, their problem now.

They might have an even bigger problem. There is talk they are thinking about moving their premiership full forward and coleman medalist away from goal. Geez I like the sound of that.

Sure, both FD's were seeking to acquire his services... but do you really think they rated him THAT highly? I'd suggest not considering the final trade...

The final trade appears to be: (source = afl website)

Hale + pick 52 ----> pick 29 + pick 71.

Basically, pick 29 was considered by the Hawks FD to be over the odds for Hale, so the Kangas had to sweeten it by allowing the Hawks to upgrade pick 71 to pick 52!

Can't blame North for preferring this over pick 32. If they keep the compo pick until 2012 it could be worth pick 19.

I think that ox is right in chasing anthony - Hale is so ordinary we may as well have kept brad miller if all we wanted was a big body in the goal square. Virtually we are saying hale is better than miller if we persue Hale and given the fact that Miller has starred in the vfl yet hale was average I think persuing Hale would have been a big mistake. Sure he may be a bit more able to support jamar in the ruck but I don't think that is enough of a reason.

Anthony however showed he is a very capable forward and fits into bailey's gameplan of quick flexible players so I think we would be mad not to look at him...even if he is from the dirty pies! There has been a total lack of talk about him though in the media with regard to melbourne so something tells me we are not interested......

much as i'd hate touching anything from the filth, anthony might just fit the bill

Could he pinch-hit ruck? What would he cost? How would he compare to Hale?

Just asking.

Can't blame North for preferring this over pick 32. If they keep the compo pick until 2012 it could be worth pick 19.

Good point. I think you've hit the nail on the head. A compo pick has much more real value.

Be interesting to see if Norf use it this draft

Edited by daisycutter

Could he pinch-hit ruck? What would he cost? How would he compare to Hale?

Just asking.

No, he couldn't pinch hit in the ruck.

He wouldn't cost much and it would still be too much.

He is 192cm; Hale is 201cm. Anthony had a big year where he showed he could kick multiple goals; Hale had a biggish year where he showed he was handy as a forward who could relieve in the ruck. Both have huge question marks over their ability at AFL level, despite these good single seasons.

What Melbourne is looking for, I think, is someone who can stand in a pack and wrestle with a good tall defender while Jurrah, Green, Petterd, Sylvia and others jump. If he can bring the ball to the ground in a one on one, all the better.

I don't think Anthony is this player.

I would be happy to drop 5 spots in the first round of the draft just so we don't have to see PJ 'attempt' to be a league footballer one more time.

I actually thought the Dees would've gone harder at Hale as he could provide important back up for Jamar and can kick goals unlike Johnson. Remember it's unlikely we're going to get 22 games out of Jamar next year due to his injury prone history.

He'll be handy for the Hawks.

Drop five spots and give up our round 2 for hale. I'm not a smart man but surely you jest?

Whilst I don't really mind not getting him, I do feel the same way in that we started discussions in June/July, we clearly identified him as a target, yet we still didn't get him. We failed to get Judd, we failed to get Burgoyne, we failed to get Ball, now we've failed to get Hale, and whilst we can, and still will, be successful without any of them, it annoys me that we still can't land a player.

It's annoying, but you can only work with what you've got.

There's nothing we could do about the Hawks having a slightly more enticing pick that was still not over the odds for Hale (it may yet prove to be).

No, he couldn't pinch hit in the ruck.

He wouldn't cost much and it would still be too much.

He is 192cm; Hale is 201cm. Anthony had a big year where he showed he could kick multiple goals; Hale had a biggish year where he showed he was handy as a forward who could relieve in the ruck. Both have huge question marks over their ability at AFL level, despite these good single seasons.

What Melbourne is looking for, I think, is someone who can stand in a pack and wrestle with a good tall defender while Jurrah, Green, Petterd, Sylvia and others jump. If he can bring the ball to the ground in a one on one, all the better.

I don't think Anthony is this player.

didn't realise he's only 192cm - oh well

This whole story has been handled extremely well by TH and co IMO. Identified the need and responded to it early, picked out the best option likely to be available, showed appropriate interest early, made an appropriate offer, and refused to get sucked in to over-bidding.

Bit of a glorification. It's no different to buying a house at auction ... set your price, stick to it, don't pay over the market value, leave the bidding when your upper limit is reached, then look elsewhere.

I'm sure TH didn't have to read all of this thread to come to the conclusion Hale was only worth so much.

Whilst I don't really mind not getting him, I do feel the same way in that we started discussions in June/July, we clearly identified him as a target, yet we still didn't get him. We failed to get Judd, we failed to get Burgoyne, we failed to get Ball, now we've failed to get Hale, and whilst we can, and still will, be successful without any of them, it annoys me that we still can't land a player.

I think we have been lucky NOT to get any of the above - all will be past their best when our window opens in 2012.

Well done TH for not giving too much for the folicularly challenged Kangaroo, we can get some mature aged rookie ruck/forwards to fill the gap for nothing.

In effect, Hawthorn has lost a favourite son and premiership player for a VFL player....ripper.

So now we can move on and ponder who we will get with picks 12 and 32, with Jordie McK getting his well deserved promotion to the senior list as well, things are looking good!

And try getting through all the crap and decipher what the hell Hale is doing - by the time you get through the moral police getting in as a group against dee-luded etc etc etc, it will be trade period 2020.

cheers.

I'm now looking forward to using, this year, Picks 12/ 30+/ and others, for some real talent. And am starting to warm to another gun, midsized runner @ st With a Tall next.

If we can grab another pick around 18 - 20ish, bonus, if Not, Huh.

Some Ruck may come around by Monday, otherwise Next year is a better fit,,, IMO, anyways.

Things are looking up. ^_^

hawks paid alot ofr him...interesting to see how they will fit him in with franklin, roughead in the forward like they promised in addition to the ruck with the new interchange rules.

I think he'll be a good ordinary footballer for them, helping with their structures & versatility.

This could help THEM, in their Window to demolish the Wobblers.

If so, we've done our bit for the AFL's greater good. We won't be ready to strike deep @ Collingwood,,, till maybe 2012, more likely 2013...

IMO, this will only make our base deeper & less fragile, come that Time. 2013.

I would have preferred that we'd have picked him up. But the Footy Department will have put a lot of work into ascertaining his value to our side and decided that our second round was what he was worth. I would not have wanted to spend more on him that the FD thought he was worth to us.

Given that we were pretty firm on what we were willing to offer for Hale, one would have to assume that there is a plan B or sorts. If there was no alternative and the FD found his inclusion to be so valuable then we would have just given them 32 and swapped 12 and 17. Given the final deal then this deal would have covered Hawthorn's very easily.

I'd actually prefer North to warehouse their compo pick for a future year, even though it could be 10 spots better in the draft. Given where our talent lies, it will mean that their talent would not be as mature as ours when we're going for a premiership. I'd also be happy to start bringing in mature(ish) players through the draft to fill perceived premiership holes in advance.

A bad miss. Personally I would have paid up (swapped first round picks), but saying that I trust the FD, they have done a great job over the last 3 seasons, this is their job and they know best.

I agree. I think Hale - as a big marking forward and relief ruckman - would have really added something to the balance of our list ..... and I can't get too excited about the difference between picks #12 and #17.

Just have to trust the FD to get it right ( and hope that doesn't mean another year alternating PJ, "Frank" Spencer and Juice Newton!)