Shane Valenti wins Liston Trophy

KC from Casey

Congratulations to former Demon Shane Valenti who was named joint 2010 J J Liston Trophy (VFL best & fairest) winner with North Ballarat's Stephen Clifford last night. Both players polled 20 votes.

Casey's Michael Stockdale was an early leader with 11 votes before a knee injury prematurely ended his season. Despite the setback he still managed to finish in equal fifth place.

The Casey Scorpions were named the VFL's best conducted club.

Congratulations to former Demon Shane Valenti who was named joint 2010 J J Liston Trophy (VFL best & fairest) winner with North Ballarat's Stephen Clifford last night. Both players polled 20 votes.

Casey's Michael Stockdale was an early leader with 11 votes before a knee injury prematurely ended his season. Despite the setback he still managed to finish in equal fifth place.

The Casey Scorpions were named the VFL's best conducted club.

Thanks KC.

What is it that enables a club to win such an award? Do aligned clubs run better or worse?

No surprises Swallow polled high. That kid is going to be a gun. Paul Johnson won this award a few years back.

Does the fact that PJ won it a couple years ago benefit the reputation of the award or discredit it??? Not sure.

Pm24, your being a bit of a Keyboard hero here. Paul had some very good games that year in Sandy.

Well done Shane on the award.Add your name to others like Sam Mitchell, Aaron Edwards, JPod.

Hopefully another team has a look at you and you can have your shot at an AFL career.

Edited by Rocknroll

Am I just imagining things or did Jamar win it years ago?

Pretty certain The Big Rush didn't win it.

Would be about 20 years nearly to the day that Billy Swan won one of his two, yesterday his son picks up the MVP!

Does the fact that PJ won it a couple years ago benefit the reputation of the award or discredit it??? Not sure.

Sammy Mitchell won it.

Well done to Clifton & Valenti.

Edited by High Tower
thanks Carn Dees

Clifton.

Good on ya Valenti, big fan. Should find an afl home next year i think.

Doubt it! But well done. IMO he is a very good VFL player but was given chances at AFL and didn't excell.

Am I just imagining things or did Jamar win it years ago?

suffering imaginitis....or confused with PJ..

CONGRATS Shane- well done

Edited by jayceebee31

Im thinking someone like Hawthorn would be slightly interested in a player like Shane Valenti.

It's a shame Melbourne couldn't find room for him inside our engine room. It seems its just another testament to our current midfield crop and the high hopes we all have for them

:)

well done shane.

Im thinking someone like Hawthorn would be slightly interested in a player like Shane Valenti.

It's a shame Melbourne couldn't find room for him inside our engine room. It seems its just another testament to our current midfield crop and the high hopes we all have for them

:)

well done shane.

I'd be very surprised if a Victorian club picked him up-GWS may.

Doubt it! But well done. IMO he is a very good VFL player but was given chances at AFL and didn't excell.

His chances where definitely limited, and although he was outstanding he definitely wasn't a disappointment at all.

O hope the kid finds a club, i think he might find himself on some teams rookie list.

I'm think Hawthorn's midfield is slow enough already.

Agree. Valenti is not AFL standard.

His chances where definitely limited, and although he was outstanding he definitely wasn't a disappointment at all.

O hope the kid finds a club, i think he might find himself on some teams rookie list.

His ability is limited. I am not sure why MFC supporters want to play up the performance of a mediocre footballer.

Highlights the gulf in standard between AFL and VFL.

Would be about 20 years nearly to the day that Billy Swan won one of his two, yesterday his son picks up the MVP!

One of the last VFA greats was Billy Swan.

His ability is limited. I am not sure why MFC supporters want to play up the performance of a mediocre footballer.

How so? Speed and i guess height, but if a club was looking for an in and under player who can really win plenty of the ball he would be well worth the opportunity.

Have a look at Sam Mitchell, Luke Ball to name a few.

Edited by Carn dees

Pm24, your being a bit of a Keyboard hero here. Paul had some very good games that year in Sandy.

Well done Shane on the award.Add your name to others like Sam Mitchell, Aaron Edwards, JPod.

Hopefully another team has a look at you and you can have your shot at an AFL career.

Agreed

I'm thinking Hawthorn's midfield is slow enough already.

Pace isn't everything - ask Swan

Shane played well in his most recent games with MFC... was unlucky to be dropped. Clearly wasn't in Bailey's plans, but didn't do himself any harm and may be worth another look.

Agreed

Agree. Valenti is not AFL standard.

Highlights the gulf in standard between AFL and VFL.

Give it a rest Rhino - you didn't rate Valenti; plenty did. Get over yourself.

He can add his Liston to the 3 Brownlow votes he got (in 1 game) from a limited number of opportunities/games.

Better than many(most?).

He can add his Liston to the 3 Brownlow votes he got (in 1 game) from a limited number of opportunities/games.

Better than many(most?).

Thanks for proving my point. :lol:

Who would you rather have, Valenti or Swan?

Hmmm. Hard one B)

Have a look at Sam Mitchell, Luke Ball to name a few.

Last year he was being compared with Greg Williams. So he has definitely slipped.

Valenti is good at VFL level. No higher.