I'm worried

Guest DeesPower

Guest DeesPower

however much we are all buoyed by the prospects for next year, and we all expect to reach the finals quite understandably, there are worrying signs. We have an extraordinarily talented list, but with Junior's retirement, and the likely move of Bruce up north, we will be worryingly short of onfield leadership next year. Let's face it, in our outstandi g wins this year, mostly it was the e perienced playerswho got us across the line admittedly in an extremely talented team. Next year we will be very short ofexperience.

I hope we will not regret today.....

however much we are all buoyed by the prospects for next year, and we all expect to reach the finals quite understandably, there are worrying signs. We have an extraordinarily talented list, but with Junior's retirement, and the likely move of Bruce up north, we will be worryingly short of onfield leadership next year. Let's face it, in our outstandi g wins this year, mostly it was the e perienced playerswho got us across the line admittedly in an extremely talented team. Next year we will be very short ofexperience.

1) I wouldn't say Bruce is 'likely' to go to the GC.

2) We got as much out of our young players in our wins as we did from our older players

3) Whether Junior left this year or next, we were still going to have to find someone else to step up and become more of a leader. Can't keep them forever.

i do not think jnr's exit from the club will as you put it 'cost us big time'. Bruce I doubt will head up north (but anything is possible). The MFC still have plenty of players that have the experience (not in the same field as Jnr or Bruce).

I think they will handle themselves quite well next year,

Hard to imagine him having that huge an impact on our list next year anyway, even if he was around. Clearly if the club had similar concerns he'd have been offered another contract.

Nothing to see here - just another MFCSS case.

Essendon didn't think it needed experienced players either after making the finals last year.

I think people really don't appreciate the importance of having some old hands around to set the example and step up as needed. Our senior brigade have been outstanding this year. I was certain Junior would play another 12 months, after which time the younger guys would have another 20-odd games in them and his age would require him to retire.

On the other hand, I am gaining confidence in Dean Bailey's judgement. Hopefully it will have turned out to be the right time.

Junior is a champ, either way.

Essendon didn't think it needed experienced players either after making the finals last year.

They kept the only one that was up to AFL football in Fletcher. Lucas was finished. Lloyd was too. They would have been worse off this year had they played. Lucas would have been at Bendigo. Lloyd would have missed the first six weeks on suspension from the prior year and he was iffy at this level.

Of course we should be worried. We should be expecting some sort of downturn ANY time a good player retires. But they can't play forever, and EVERY team goes through this.

With all due respect to Junior, I think given the gifted youngsters coming through, the downturn in on-field performance won't be as bad as it could be.

I would also like to think that with another pre-season of development for the team that collectively they will get themselves 'over the line' and will put themselves in a winning position earlier and maintain it, rather than having to rely on a few older heads to get them there - and by no means is this a swipe at our veterans this year who have done a very commendable job :)

I'm with the keep a few old hands. Tagger? So what, thats a key responsible role, he was never soft and never reported and he was the captain first and foremost, not much thought in these posts about what leadership is and how good leadership is rare. Also I thought the announcement was poorly managed to say he's retiring, when he was told to go, if i read the media report correctly. I also think as much as we are pleased with ourselves with debt reduction and some new found heart in the team and a better club culture, that has only been around for about five minutes. With respect that was reintroduced by a few key individuals, including jnr. and I'd prefer they were around to reinforce and ingrain this better culture. Jnr was quiet, but his leadership was real and impressive.

That said, I am going to let the coach have this one he has earned the right to make that call but this decision will count against him should things go wrong.

You don't do that to the captain (as the Ox said of Junior today, too).

You are right, you don't, only strong successful clubs do that. Look at the Pies and Josh Fraser. As Junior said he got his start because someone else retired.

Saying JMac was "just a tagger" is like saying Dunn was "just a defensive forward" against the Tiges.

Doesn't come close to representing what he brought to the table.

And hey. If one of our kids only plays AS WELL as JMac has over his career, I'd be thrilled.

That's the idea.

Even if there is a brief adjustment period, the players will step up.

Look at Richmond this past year.

Jack Riewoldt wouldve never had the breakout season he has had if Richo had've played on.

I have a sneaking suspicion part of the reason Warnock has been left out at times has been to make Frawley and Garland stand up a bit more.

Only a half-baked theory though.

Challenging people and throwing them in the deep end often produces amazing results.

Challenging people and throwing them in the deep end often produces amazing results.

Hoping this gets given to Kyle Cheney...

Dominant dominant dominant at VFL Seniors level... needs to be held onto and given opportunities at AFL level. Trouble is, I guess it's a hard backline to break into.

kids will fill the junior void (jordie, Gysberts), but we have more worrying signs with who we have to keep that is out of contract.

Moloney, Bail, Blease, Warnock, Watts, Jones Strauss, Bruce, etc, etc

Imagine loosing a couple of them!

There is no better place club for underlying talent or leadership in the medium to long term. In the short team Green, Bruce, Davey, Moloney, Rivers and Jamar are experienced players with plenty of character who can provide the core leadership at the club. We're alright.

Remember that the 'leadership vacuum' was something we faced during the bulk retirements in 07-08 in particular, and the retirement of the leadership Colossus Neitz. In many eyes, McDonald was a leap of faith that paid back big time and gave us just the right captain.

I know it is hard to adjust to, but we're alright! :o