Match Preview and Team Selection

Demonland

Yes, if being the operative word. He hasn't done that so far, and he doesn't have unlimited time to do it.

He's unworthy of a spot on the senior list IMO so it's another year as a rookie or deslited for Newton.

Tell me about it.... Sydney game in the ACT last year... if i didnt already have a cold and felt sick as a dog, the miller and juice show would have got me there any way.

Still, Russians do happen.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some breath-taking comments on Newton in this thread.

Did anyone notice that the AFL is going to limit interchange next year? This means 2nd ruckman is D-E-A-D and forward/part-time ruckman stocks have just soared. As Rogue points out Newton has been playing this role well at Casey. PJ has shown over the journey he's poor in the forward line. Newton has skill, his problems are above the shoulders, he's still relatively young and could well come good with maturity if he begins to believe he belongs - look at Jamar. I'm all for playing him in the fwd-ruck role and I'm with E25 giving him an extended opportunity on the rookie list at least.

Foll: Mark Jamar, Jack Trengove, Tom Scully - Dont you just love that...

However the last two need a good game as both haven't fired for a while

Did anyone notice that the AFL is going to limit interchange next year? This means 2nd ruckman is D-E-A-D and forward/part-time ruckman stocks have just soared. As Rogue points out Newton has been playing this role well at Casey. PJ has shown over the journey he's poor in the forward line. Newton has skill, his problems are above the shoulders, he's still relatively young and could well come good with maturity if he begins to believe he belongs - look at Jamar. I'm all for playing him in the fwd-ruck role and I'm with E25 giving him an extended opportunity on the rookie list at least.

I also agree- I think this guy can make it or at least add value to the list.Should definately be retained in some capacity.

Hmmm . . . I wouldn't have agreed 3 months ago, but I'm starting to warm to the idea

There won't be much draft pickings next few years, so maybe another year wouldn't do too much harm, and a little depth of tall forwards would be prudent esp if Miller goes

Guest Thomo

I can't believe that people are still talking up Newton. Because Jamar has come good everyone seems to want to keep Newton around. Jamar is a ruckman, and showed promise for many years. Newton is not a bean pole ruckman, like Sandilands, Cox, etc that will take years to develop, he is a 193 forward that has not played one good game for Melbourne in six years. In my opinion he should be the first player gone. I cannot think of a player that has added less to an AFL list.

I can't believe that people are still talking up Newton. Because Jamar has come good everyone seems to want to keep Newton around. Jamar is a ruckman, and showed promise for many years. Newton is not a bean pole ruckman, like Sandilands, Cox, etc that will take years to develop, he is a 193 forward that has not played one good game for Melbourne in six years. In my opinion he should be the first player gone. I cannot think of a player that has added less to an AFL list.

There's a small chance he'll make it but there's a small cost in keeping him as a rookie and there's a massive gain if he does make it.

There's a small chance he'll make it but there's a small cost in keeping him as a rookie and there's a massive gain if he does make it.

Especially considering he'll be the only rookie retained if that was the case. Hard to imagine us wanting to take a sixth rookie at the end of a draft that will have been completely and utterly pillaged by that stage.

IIRC Meesen was the mature-age rookie this year, meaning Newton could take that spot this year.

I believe Hughes is a mature age rookie as well so there are 2 designations.

Does anyone know if mature age rookies can negotiate salary? In all honesty I would be shocked if Newton was elevated to the senior list but if he was retained as a MAR it wouldn't be so bad. People are probably getting sick of speculation of Bruce to GC but the reality is that the impact is significant if it happens. If we have a nominated rookie for all of 2011 that is a huge lifeline (especially to someone like Newton). I'll be looking at the rookies we pick up this year with a lot of interest because by mid year 2 of them will be available for senior games and that's excluding promotions for LTIs. I wouldn't mind picking up another MAR with a developed frame given that we'll no doubt have at least 5 or 6 new youngsters added to the RL anyway.

Edited by 1858

Hahaha I can't believe the love in for Juice. Is this the same Newton we have been discussing for the last four years? I'd have Danny Hughes over Juice, As a previous poster said the second/part time ruck will be D-E-A-D next year.

Agree. It may be a matter of whether Newton wanted to live the AFL dream on a rookie salary.

At the moment he is not on a "rookie salary"

His salary stayed the same as 2009 when he was on senior list (with a 2009/2010 contract)

I doubt he would be interested in staying on the rookie list on a real rookie salary which would be a huge comedown

I'd be surprised if there was a limit on a veterans rookie salary

I'm not even sure he is eligible for a 2nd year on the veterans rookie category

Looks like his only hope is to be offered a place on senior list which is probably slim

There again if he rips it up the next two weeks . . . .

Hahaha I can't believe the love in for Juice. Is this the same Newton we have been discussing for the last four years? I'd have Danny Hughes over Juice, As a previous poster said the second/part time ruck will be D-E-A-D next year.

actually I thought previous poster said the opposite

the genuine 2nd ruck position to go, and be replaced by a part-time ruck with good forward potential

its only a theory though and the AFL have not made a decision on limiting rotations yet

At the moment he is not on a "rookie salary"

His salary stayed the same as 2009 when he was on senior list (with a 2009/2010 contract)

I doubt he would be interested in staying on the rookie list on a real rookie salary which would be a huge comedown

I'd be surprised if there was a limit on a veterans rookie salary

I'm not even sure he is eligible for a 2nd year on the veterans rookie category

Looks like his only hope is to be offered a place on senior list which is probably slim

There again if he rips it up the next two weeks . . . .

I know his salary position. There are a number of posters that think its a fait accompli if we want to keep on the rookie list he will be there. As you point out thats not the case.

If he shows something in the next two weeks, I would not be surprise if they did retain him on a 1 year contract and cut PJ.

I think there is a message potentially there in the MFC and Casey selections this week. I guess we will know in the next 6 weeks if not sooner

FINAL TEAMS

Melbourne

B: Colin Garland, Matthew Warnock, Clint Bartram

HB: Cameron Bruce, James Frawley, Jared Rivers

C: Brad Green, James McDonald, Nathan Jones

HF: Jack Watts, Liam Jurrah, Colin Sylvia

F: Austin Wonaeamirri, Lynden Dunn, Jamie Bennell

Foll: Mark Jamar, Jack Trengove, Tom Scully

I/C: Cale Morton, Brent Moloney, Jordie McKenzie, Michael Newton

Emg: Rohan Bail, Paul Johnson, Matthew Bate

In: Brent Moloney, Michael Newton, Matthew Warnock, Cale Morton

Out: Aaron Davey (leg), Paul Johnson , Joel Macdonald (ankle), Rohan Bail

Port Adelaide

B: Paul Stewart, Alipate Carlile, Andrew Moore

HB: Nick Salter, Troy Chaplin, Danny Meyer

C: Kane Cornes, Domenic Cassisi, Travis Boak

HF: Cameron Hitchcock, Jay Schulz, David Rodan

F: Justin Westhoff, Daniel Stewart, Brett Ebert

Foll: Dean Brogan, Danyle Pearce, Robbie Gray

I/C: Matthew Broadbent, Matt Thomas, Jack Trengove, Jay Nash

Emg: Michael Pettigrew, Jason Davenport, Marlon Motlop

In: Jay Nash, Daniel Stewart

Out: Tom Logan (concussion), Jason Davenport

Edited by daisycutter

Bail, Johnson and Bate are the emergencies.

So Bail is the stiff one as he will have to go to Adelaide and will not play in either team!

Surprised they put Maloney straight in after 4 weeks out.

However perhaps they are foxing with Maloney!

Edited by old dee

Bail, Johnson and Bate are the emergencies.

So Bail is the stiff one as he will have to go to Adelaide and will not play in either team!

Surprised they put Maloney straight in after 4 weeks out.

However perhaps they are foxing with Maloney!

could be

Hughers does not fulfil the forward who can ruck position. The other poster said the 2nd ruckman is dead due to a change in the I/C rules. If so then PJ if not already is in some difficulty for the future.

Wow. Newton playing for his career. Jamar going it alone against Brogan. Bail out, maybe cos of his frees against.

Agree on Newton. As someone else indicated Moloney may be a late withdrawal for Bail???

I am really disappointed with melbourne this week. Firstly they make our captain retire stating we have younger players to come thorugh then at selection they drop Bail and think its a good idea to bring in Newton. Why would you do that. Newton isnt the future. He wont be there in 2 years. Bate will be playing for us for the next few years.Even bring in Miller. Bail was good last week, yeah he did some silly things but he has been really good the past few weeks.

I thought Paul Johnson was pretty good for us last week. He actually taps it to our midfield which Jamar sometimes do.

In the week Dean Bailey made a statement for the club he has made a horrible decision in selecting Newton. We know Newton will still be on the rookie list next year becasue some dimbat thought it would be great to put him and meesen back on there.

Sorry just frustrated with Newton being selected. He is not the future!!!!

FINAL TEAMS

Melbourne

B: Colin Garland, Matthew Warnock, Clint Bartram

HB: Cameron Bruce, James Frawley, Jared Rivers

C: Brad Green, James McDonald, Nathan Jones

HF: Jack Watts, Liam Jurrah, Colin Sylvia

F: Austin Wonaeamirri, Lynden Dunn, Jamie Bennell

Foll: Mark Jamar, Jack Trengove, Tom Scully

I/C: Cale Morton, Brent Moloney, Jordie McKenzie, Michael Newton

Emg: Rohan Bail, Paul Johnson, Matthew Bate

In: Brent Moloney, Michael Newton, Matthew Warnock, Cale Morton

Out: Aaron Davey (leg), Paul Johnson , Joel Macdonald (ankle), Rohan Bail

Don't understand this at all. Morton & Newton (FFS) are not worthy of a recall; Warnock makes us top heavy in defence.

Maybe Bail has signed with GC? no reason he should be out - we will miss his hardness, especially with Morton in.

I expect us to get beaten by plenty.

Disgusting changes.

Bail was one of the last people who should have been dropped. How Bail gets the axe before Bennell I don't know. Even if he's the designated emergency and so could come in for Moloney, it's still the wrong call. AFAIK Morton didn't exactly set the world on fire at Casey last week. This might be the first time this year I've actually been angry at the changes.

Can't believe Newton got a recall, but I guess PJ has been crap.

Warnock deserved his spot based on Casey form but we look top heavy now with him, Frawley, Rivers and Garland all down there. I suspect Garland might find himself further up the ground.

Come on guys.

Cheer up!

Expect us to be beaten? Look at the Port side B)

Garland & Chip can take some of the Port smalls. Warnock & Rivers some of the talls.

I agree Bail is very very unlucky but this team has a bit of strength that should be able to beat up on this insipid Port side.

Go Dees!

Edited by Demon Hill