Match Preview and Team Selection

Demonland

The Demonlanders did so well the last time we did the Demonlander's supporters preview that we thought we'd bring it back again in a last ditch stand to enable us to somehow miraculously finish in front of the Hawks by the end of the season.

So, let's have your previews, please! 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Demonlanders did so well the last time we did the Demonlander's supporters preview that we thought we'd bring it back again in a last ditch stand to enable us to somehow miraculously finish in front of the Hawks by the end of the season.

So, let's have your previews, please! 

The Demons travel to Adelaide at the weekend with the mission of keeping alive their meagre finals prospects. The team will need every ounce of luck to remain in the race because they rely on the results of other games as well as their own ability to achieve a rare victory in a match played outside of their own state.

I fully expect it to happen this week. Melbourne had no luck last week against Hawthorn. The weather didn't suit. The injury to Aaron Davey didn't help and the green maggots were disgraceful. This week, the worm will turn. We will win our first game in Adelaide for nine years, the Dockers will recover their form and beat the Hawks in Tassie and the Eagles will prevail in the West. I might even wake up from my dream.

All hail the mighty skipper, Junior McDonald ! Game number 250 and what a journey it has been for him. Having endured a painful time which all AFL players would prefer not to go through. A reconstruction of the knee followed by hours, days, months and arguably years of rehabilitation and recovery to get back; playing at a maximum level of consistently good football.

A heart felt congratulations is in order for Junior. It is indeed remarkable, just think, that having endured what he has gone through early in his career, missing out on the 2000 Grand Final and being able to play at the level for so long, twice All Australian and able to reach the 250th game milestone. He leads by example, and helps set the tone for his teammates by putting his head over the ball when in dispute, to win the contested hard ball and clearance, endlessly. His tackling is right up there with the best of them and certainly arguably the most consistent at the club; even at 34 years of age. Who would dare mention he finish this year (GULP !).

If ever the Melbournefc had good reason to break a hoodoo in Adelaide which seems to have gone on for an eternity against both tennants in Port Adelaide and Adelaide in Adelaide at AAMI. This is the one against Port Adelaide. But Junior would be the type of bloke who would insist his troops do it for themselves and importantly the club, not just for him. Because that's the type of bloke he is. He puts the interests of the team first and foremost.

Melbourne by 25 points.

No Davey and possibly no Moloney. The strain is on the Demon midfield and there's more pressure on those young players to produce.

They need to neutralise the crowd and kick a score capable of winning the match.

Against the Swans, Lions and Tigers they did just that and there's no reason why they can't do it again this week.

Dees by 16 points.

PORT ADELAIDE

Backs Paul Stewart Alipate Carlile Andrew Moore

Half backs Nick Salter Troy Chaplin Danny Meyer

Centreline Kane Cornes Domenic Cassisi Travis Boak

Half forwards Cameron Hitchcock Jay Schulz David Rodan

Forwards Justin Westhoff Daniel Stewart Brett Ebert

Followers Dean Brogan Danyle Pearce Robbie Gray

Interchange (from) Matthew Broadbent Jason Davenport Marlon Motlop Jay Nash Michael Pettigrew Matt Thomas Jack Trengove

In Marlon Motlop Jay Nash Michael Pettigrew Daniel Stewart

Out Tom Logan (concussion)

MELBOURNE

Backs Colin Garland Matthew Warnock Clint Bartram

Half backs Cameron Bruce James Frawley Jared Rivers

Centreline Brad Green James McDonald Nathan Jones

Half forwards Jack Watts Liam Jurrah Colin Sylvia

Forwards Austin Wonaeamirri Lynden Dunn Jamie Bennell

Followers Mark Jamar Jack Trengove Tom Scully

Interchange (from) Rohan Bail Matthew Bate Paul Johnson Jordie McKenzie Brent Moloney Cale Morton Michael Newton

In Matthew Bate Brent Moloney Cale Morton Michael Newton

Matthew Warnock

Out Aaron Davey (leg) Joel Macdonald (ankle)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA NEWTON :):lol::blink:

Sorry if I'm being insensitive :huh: Shame Joel's out but good to see Warnock back in. I'd like to see a bench of:

McKenzie, Moloney, Bail, Bate

Big vote of confidence to keep Bennell in the 18.

Edited by The Fire Has Started

Great to see Warnock break back into the side after some good performances in Casey. Backline seems a little top heavy now though so interesting to see how it goes.

Surely one of Morton or Moloney will replace Davey. Are they really considering Newton ahead of Miller?! Perhaps they want to give hhim one last crack at a forward/ruck role (i.e. replacing Johnson) before making a final decision on his future.

Edited by Ascobar

The hoodoo.

So many great gains made by the club this year, both on and off field and although a flicker of hope remains that we could possibly play finals, this is remote.

There is still plenty to play for starting this week with Junior's 250th which takes on a bit more meaning due to his 'enforced' retirement today. Further and more pressing for the club as a whole is the need to break the AAMI stadium hoodoo by getting a long overdue win.

2011 will bring so many expectations from the gains made this year. It would be nice to go into 2011 without the AAMI noose around our necks.

It would be nice to go into 2011 without the AAMI noose around our necks.

Couldn't agree more. I think a win at AAMI this weekend is almost of more significance than us making the finals, and would be great for the younger guys to not inherit the baggage of past MFC teams by getting a win on the board at AAMI early in their careers

Guest Thomo

I'd like to see Watts played at half back for the next two weeks. Might help with his overall education, and can help fill a playmaker spot that Davey or Grimes would normally play.

Couldn't agree more. I think a win at AAMI this weekend is almost of more significance than us making the finals, and would be great for the younger guys

Yes, but we have quite a few out with injuries ... Davey, Grimes, Joel Mac are important players for us, then add the likes of a possible Moloney, not to mention Petterd, Gysberts, perhaps Tapscott (would have been great first game, home crowd etc.) etc. Big ask IMHO.

Interesting comments here re Miller, but same could surely be said re Maric. 5 inclusions, and he's not one of them?

I do not think Maloney will play after being out for 4 weeks, back via Casey!

That means two must come out of the remaining six.

Either Johnson or Newton plays as second ruckman, my guess Newton why name him otherwise! this may be his last hurrah!

and he has been playing this role very well at Casey.

That leaves 1 more from

Bail

Mckenzie

Morton

Bate

No forward was dropped so I think Bate misses.

Interchange is then

Bail

Mckenzie

Morton

Newton.

i think this weeks selections say alot about where Brad Miller is at right now. There appears to be no future for him at MFC.

Newton.....WTF :wacko:

This weeks selctions? Not having a spot for Junior on the list next year is just about the clearest possible indicator of Miller's future at the club.

Guest Thomo

Interesting comments here re Miller, but same could surely be said re Maric. 5 inclusions, and he's not one of them?

Good point, could have come straight in for Davey.

Yes, but we have quite a few out with injuries ... Davey, Grimes, Joel Mac are important players for us, then add the likes of a possible Moloney, not to mention Petterd, Gysberts, perhaps Tapscott (would have been great first game, home crowd etc.) etc. Big ask IMHO.

He has a contract for next year so where that leaves him I am not sure.

If I were him I would be looking for trade at year end as it would appear we have stamped Maric's papers as not good enough!

I'd like to see Watts played at half back for the next two weeks. Might help with his overall education, and can help fill a playmaker spot that Davey or Grimes would normally play.

Interesting idea, maybe swap with Garland who has been mooted as a potential future forward by some within the club? Can't see it happening this year thought :)

Maybe the Club already knows where he is headed and maybe its Newtons farwell game (hopefully)

You could be onto something here...

Valid point and all the more reason I would see it as a significant win :)

Interesting to note that - according to MFC.com.au - Newton was in line for promotion when he injured his quad. Those making sarcastic remarks might not have been watching his VFL form, where he's pretty consistently been named in the best over the second half of the season. He's also been getting time playing in the ruck, which adds an important string to his bow.

I think our ruck stocks are pretty thin, and keeping Newton would be prudent. A couple of injuries next year and our ruck stocks could be in dire trouble unless we intend to bring in a mature tall or two. Not only that, but I think he might give us more than the other second ruck options like Martin and PJ. IMO you need a second string to your bow as relief ruck and PJ doesn't have it. I like Martin but he's no certainty to make the grade. Meesen looks done, Gawn and Fitzpatrick* are only in their first year, and I'm not sure Spencer can earn a gig if he doesn't play as number one ruck.

Sure, we've got 3-4 of our best 22 out, but that's hardly unusual for this time of year as a non-finals contender. Guys like Joel Mac are borderline best 22, while Gys and Tapscott aren't there yet.

Melbourne round 21 team

B: Colin Garland, Matthew Warnock, Clint Bartram

HB: Cameron Bruce, James Frawley, Jared Rivers

C: Brad Green, James McDonald, Nathan Jones

HF: Jack Watts, Liam Jurrah, Colin Sylvia

F: Austin Wonaeamirri, Lynden Dunn, Jamie Bennell

FOLL: Mark Jamar, Jack Trengove, Tom Scully

I/C (from): Cale Morton, Brent Moloney, Paul Johnson, Jordie McKenzie, Michael Newton, Rohan Bail, Matthew Bate

although if Moloney can not pull up for the game I would have Newton come in to help out in the ruck, and PJ out, while Bate also comes in... if that makes any sense what so ever!

Edited by Sturmmann

Mckenzie or Watts to get the rising star nod this week, They both have fairly good records interstate.

And if watts can repeat the same cleanness he possessed last time we played Port then he could be a real chance.

McKenzie has been the best of the two by far this season, he deserves it more than Watts.