The Miller discussion

DeezMan

The Miller Debacle  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Firstly, if it was Miller vs Maric there is no question, it's Miller. How anyone could justify the opposite I'll never know.

But it's not Miller vs Maric, it's Miller vs the 22 who played yesterday. There's no spot for him. If we drop PJ for Miller not only are we going nowhere in terms of AFL ability but we're losing a ruck for a forward we don't need.

Dunn, Green and Watts all played well enough to keep their spots over Miller. Wonaeamirri doesn't play the same role and we'd be far too top heavy if we switched him for Miller. Besides which, Wonna's forward pressure is great.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one here who is 100% certain Miller won't play this week.

Our forward line is functioning well. We get less inside 50s than probably any other team in the afl. Our forward line has to kick winning scores, despite losing the inside 50 count every week, this week by 11! It's a fantastic effort.

Plus our forward line atm has great balance.

- Green and Jurrah play the deeper marking/ leading options

- Dunn plays defensive forward (this week limiting Delideo's influence), but has good goal sense to bag a few

- Watts plays a roaming role, shifting from forward to wing. His afl development relies on him keep playing in the seniors

- Bennel and Wona play an absolutely essential role in creating forward pressure and kicking the odd opportunist goal

- Jamar and Sylvia float down there on occassion to create a dangerous marking option

Miller plays as a deeper marking/leading option. The ONLY players he is competing against for a position in the team is Green and Jurrah. Both players are playing very well and are core starting 18 players. .: Miller does NOT play.

The only forward playing at reserve level who should be considered this week is Matty Bate, because he plays a role as a hard running CHF. If Bate could take 10 marks from hard leads around 80m form goal, that could really add to our team.

PS- Henderson kicked 10 a few weeks ago in reserves and he's a spud and he didn't get put straight into the seniors

If Miller goes to the GC next year, I cant see them paying much for the pleasure.

They won't pay a fortune for him - but I reckon he's definitely worth a bit to GC. They need strong bodies, leadership and experience to help out the youngsters. He has all those qualities

Frosty would be a good 1-2 year proposition for GC. A solid man to help the kids. A bit of a minder out there for them. Brad will struggle now ( really struggle) to break back into our seniors. He just bagged 10 ..... 10 !!! And that will probably still not reward him with a bump up. So he himself may pre-empt it all with a request for trade ( whilst he can ). It will beintersting to see where the club sees itself and Brad .

I wish him well ... He certainly tries and tries , just for us it doesn't always happen

Am I the only one here who is 100% certain Miller won't play this week.

Been asleep for a while?

PS- Henderson kicked 10 a few weeks ago in reserves and he's a spud and he didn't get put straight into the seniors

Henderson is 21/22. Its a promise of things to come as he develops. But he's a spud. :rolleyes:

No, not interersted in bringing Miller in. Our forward line is functional for the first time in ages, so I don't agree with the idea of dicking around with it now.

How good was it seeing Jurrah, Watts, Green, Wonaeamirri, Davey & Bennell getting into position near the goal square before the start of the game ?

Guest hangon007

This thread is starting to remind me of "Slyvia" and "Jamar" threads of days gone by.

Where some prefer to focus on the negatives instead of the positives - suppose thats just "old habits" that die hard for some.

Where many have our players neatly packaged and shipped off to another club - glad we didn't listen to those "voices" in the past & nor should we listen to them now.

Bard Miller is a required player. (Unless of course the offer is too good to refuse & all parties agree its a win-win scenario)

We are not running a charity here - we are running a business.

Edited by hangon007

They won't pay a fortune for him - but I reckon he's definitely worth a bit to GC. They need strong bodies, leadership and experience to help out the youngsters. He has all those qualities

I reckon if The Suns thought Daniel Harris from North is worth go, then why wouldn't they be interested in Miller. But at what price, when they can pick him up 4 free if we delist him, which is on the cards.

I reckon Brad Miller should get a spot in the 22 next week. If he doesnt, then all of the guys at casey may as well be told to hang up their boots for the rest of the year. The club want competition for spots, but if they dont reward outstanding performances in the 2's then there isn't a copetition at all!

I think we could easily find a spot in the 22 for a player who has just turned in a 10 goal performance. PJ, Wona & Watts could all posibly make way IMO.

PJ - would be unlucky as he is filling a role in the side at the moment, but Jamar could probably handle the Hawks big men on his own?

Watts - no way they'll drop him, but i think he needs to score more than he does if he's going to play as a forward. Otherwise we may as well play him on a wing

Wona - would be unlucky to miss but i think if we're serious about the whole competition for places then a 1 goal / tackling pressure game doesnt hold up compared to 10 goals

Guest watts04

great week with a win and miller boosting his trade value

not part of our club going forward

the club wants competition for spots but they also want a future flag

harsh but miller is not part of our future and to be honest had had 7+ years to make it work

bye bye

Guest hangon007

great week with a win and miller boosting his trade value

How did he do that? I would have thought if he "wasn't" already on the Suns radar he sure as hell is now!!!

The Suns can pick him up for NOTHING ... so How does that boost his trade value?

If he goes there with comments like yours I dont blame him. Loyalty & respect is a two way street.

Edited by hangon007

I like Miller, I do, but regardless of slotting 10 in a reserves game still doesn't convince me he has all of a sudden turned the corner as a player!

If he comes in, it has to be for a tall, so who do we leave out?

Johnson - no, two rucks is working well

Watts - no, though not scoring a lot of goals, has footy smarts and delivery by foot well above Miller's capability

Jurrah - no, an x factor who is hard to match up on

Dunn - no, in great touch

We are better off sticking with the setup in the forwardline we have had over the last few weeks......it is mobile, skilful and tough to match up on.

Sorry Brad, barring injury, the current set up should stay for this week!

Well he'll have to wait for an Injury or bad form to make a place for him.

Why? Johnson was pretty good today. We also desperately need to develop a competent second ruckman, and the football department will be watching PJ closely right now to see if it's worth giving him an extension.

When you look at the upside of picking either player, I can't possibly understand your position. PJ (on current form) is more likely to make a positive impact on the game than Miller, and playing PJ gives the club some insight on whether to extend his contract or not. Whereas with Miller, the only upside to playing him is that we're "doing the right thing" and rewarding his 10 goal performance, when he won't be on the list next year in any case.

agreeing with your posts saves me writing my own. miller to stay where he is. no time to look back

Why? Johnson was pretty good today. We also desperately need to develop a competent second ruckman, and the football department will be watching PJ closely right now to see if it's worth giving him an extension.

When you look at the upside of picking either player, I can't possibly understand your position. PJ (on current form) is more likely to make a positive impact on the game than Miller, and playing PJ gives the club some insight on whether to extend his contract or not. Whereas with Miller, the only upside to playing him is that we're "doing the right thing" and rewarding his 10 goal performance, when he won't be on the list next year in any case.

sorry, my mistake, agreed with everything except the line about Johnson. Been talking him up for years actually, nice kick and fast for his size, just needs to hold onto more marks. Needs to be played to increase his confidence as with Watts.

Lots of different views on Brad Miller

I cannot see why it is so difficult for posters to acknowledge that Miller is not part of our future

At VFL level Brad can be good value and i would expect he still could be for 2 - 3 more years

AFL is a whole new ball game and his consistency becomes his weakest link at this level

The Brad Miller of today can be handy at best and the gap between his best and worst is getting wider

This ISNT what Bailey would be building a successful team on

We are just starting to see the emergence of a team that require you to earn your spot and the competition to gain

selection IMO is an excellent sign that Bailey is on the right track

It will get even harder next year and players like Miller will be moved on as harsh as that sounds its just reality

If it wasnt we would still have White , Roberston , Johnson , McLean , Buckley and Yze playing West Coast and Brisbane for another wooden spoon

IMO Brad Miller,s AFL career is over

I'm a Brad Miller fan, but he can't come into the side at the moment. If Brad Miller stays at the club, his role is to play when we have injuries to our KPP's or they are in a form slump/ discipline reasons (god forbid). My heart goes out to the guy but he IS NOT in our best 22. If he is prepared to accept that and continue playing for us, all well and good, but I'd say he'd prefer to play more of a role back home at the GC. (unless Pia has her modeling stuff keeping her in Melbourne, then it's a tough call!)

70% of people say 'no' (including the Pia option demon_laugh.gif ) so far..

Good to see most people on this site recognise were now beyond a point where we should even think about experimenting with the forward-line were building atm.

Were building an attack in the same manner weve built up our backline - its just a season or so behind..

-an old saying comes to mind-

If its not broken - dont fix it!

Guest hangon007

I cannot see why it is so difficult for posters to acknowledge that Miller is not part of our future

I cannot see why it is so difficult for posters to acknowledge while any player is playing in a Melbourne jumper they deserve 100% of our support, loyalty & our respect. IMHO many comments on this thread are disrespectful to a players of ours ... this is not "bigfooty" its a MFC forum.

Until Brad is no longer playing in a Melbourne jumper I personally will never, never give up on him.

Now dont get me wrong. In not claiming our players are flawless. However, there is a massive difference from constructive criticism and saying they are "duds" or "no longer part of our future".

I should also add ....

I cannot see why it is so difficult for posters to acknowledge ... this is not the year to be giving up players for NOTHING. This is not a "normal" draft & trading year. We may all have to just face "reality" and accept that as well.

I cannot see why it is so difficult for posters to acknowledge while any player is playing in a Melbourne jumper they deserve 100% of our support, loyalty & our respect. IMHO many comments on this thread are disrespectful to a players of ours ... this is not "bigfooty" its a MFC forum.

Until Brad is no longer playing in a Melbourne jumper I personally will never, never give up on him.

Thing is... we only have 22 positions to be filled on the ground, mate. You can respect every single one of the 42 or so players on our list all you want (and we all do!!), but at the end of the day some players have more value than others at this stage of development - and only 22 can be selected for game day.

It's not about respect; it's about who's in and who's out (of touch).

A quote from Julia Gillard: "Moving forward".

Now dont get me wrong. In not claiming our players are flawless. However, there is a massive difference from constructive criticism and saying they are "duds" or "no longer part of our future".

I should also add ....

I cannot see why it is so difficult for posters to acknowledge ... this is not the year to be giving up players for NOTHING. This is not a "normal" draft & trading year. We may all have to just face "reality" and accept that as well.

Interesting interpretation on my post

You sure you actually read it ?

Now tell me how many years do the MFC extend Brad Millers contract for ?

Edited by Swampfox

Guest hangon007

Thing is... we only have 22 positions to be filled on the ground, mate. You can respect every single one of the 42 or so players on our list all you want (and we all do!!), but at the end of the day some players have more value than others at this stage of development - and only 22 can be selected for game day.

"Thing is... we only have 22 positions to be filled on the ground" ... yeah but the very reason why you need as much pressure from Casey to push those players to maintain their spots. Thats why we will be a top team. No more armchair rides.

An 18 year old first year player will not exert that pressure because he is not a viable option. Not at pick 88 in this draft!!!

Short term thinking ... "it's about who's in and who's out (of touch)."

Short term thinking ... "it's about who's in and who's out (of touch)."

Well players are selected based on present form, are they not?

HOWEVER, we are a club moving into another era and it is the young kids (i.e. our FUTURE) that need the game time moreso than a 26 year old that has not fulfilled his potential and was Melbourne's past era.

Forward thinking is to release Miller and move on.

Don't tell me your gonna vote for Labour