The Miller discussion

DeezMan

The Miller Debacle  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So Brad Miller kicked 10 goals against Gold Coast Suns in the VFL. Solid effort, no doubt about that.

But... we all know how Miller plays once he pulls on the red and blue jumper and heads to the F50, don't we? Usually he becomes a wasted player. However, he will kick the odd 3+ goal every now and then.

Question time emerges though!!! Based on todays performance against Richmond, do any of Melbourne's forwards deserve omission?

- Jurrah would have been on notice but 17 possessions and 4 goals (5 behinds??) against the Tigers says he's in the 22.

- Dunn is realising his potential FINALLY and is very exciting at present.

- Green is in the 22 for sure.

- Sylvia is in our 22 sure.

- Wonaeamirri... could be struggling.

- Watts is all over the ground and needs games pumped into him. Getting better each week.

- P. Johnson could be the omission if Miller comes in.

For mine, Miller is NOT the future.

Edited by Rhino Richards

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Brad Miller kicked 10 goals against Gold Coast Suns in the VFL. Solid effort, no doubt about that.

But... we all know how Miller plays once he pulls on the red and blue jumper and heads to the F50, don't we? Usually he becomes a wasted player. However, he will kick the odd 3+ goal every now and then.

Question time emerges though!!! Based on todays performance against Richmond, do any of Melbourne's forwards deserve omission?

- Jurrah would have been on notice but 17 possessions and 4 goals (5 behinds??) against the Tigers says he's in the 22.

- Dunn is realising his potential FINALLY and is very exciting at present.

- Green is in the 22 for sure.

- Sylvia is in our 22 sure.

- Wonaeamirri... could be struggling.

- Watts is all over the ground and needs games pumped into him. Getting better each week.

- P. Johnson could be the omission if Miller comes in.

For mine, Miller is NOT the future.

as they say in the British Parliament "here here"

completely agree!

Surely Bailey and his selection panel would not entertain the thought of including Miller in next weeks side.

The team structure at present is working nicely with everyone contributing.

Brads heart and efforts are in the right place but his ability at this level no longer cuts the mustard and im afraid

our currently efficient forward line would be forced to take on a passenger should brad become a part of it.

as they say in the British Parliament "here here"

Why? Johnson was pretty good today. We also desperately need to develop a competent second ruckman, and the football department will be watching PJ closely right now to see if it's worth giving him an extension.

When you look at the upside of picking either player, I can't possibly understand your position. PJ (on current form) is more likely to make a positive impact on the game than Miller, and playing PJ gives the club some insight on whether to extend his contract or not. Whereas with Miller, the only upside to playing him is that we're "doing the right thing" and rewarding his 10 goal performance, when he won't be on the list next year in any case.

Edited by two sheds jackson

I love Miller, but I voted no.

I don't want to mess with our forwardline, given it is FINALLY working.

The only way I can see Miller playing next week is if, as you said, we choose to play Jamar alone with Miller/Dunn as back-up (which is unlikely given Jamar looks less than 100% fit), or if Dunn's foot injury gets the better of him (he was hobbling horribly as he walked to the bench).

None of our talls deserve to be dropped, especially for someone who is unlikely to be part of our future.

Why break up a winning formula at the moment? Miller was great yesterday, but he was essentially playing against school kids. Look what Rocca did to Dawson all those years ago, it was not going to happen every week though was it? Miller kicked 5 or 6 against Port when he got back in our side, and then what? Not much, same as always.

Why? Johnson was pretty good today. We also desperately need to develop a competent second ruckman, and the football department will be watching PJ closely right now to see if it's worth giving him an extension.

I do entertain the thought of playing out PJ for the remainder of the season for his development. Apologies.

But someone would be the unlucky omission IF (and it's a big if) Miller were to play next week.

My old man told me that he read that Melbourne's forward line is currently rated as one of the most efficient in the AFL in terms of scoring once inside 50! Why potentially destroy that by including someone who may hamper our structure?? We are playing fine up there without Miller.

Edit: Regarding Dunn... he was on the ground when the final siren blew and smiling. He's ok.

Edited by DeezMan

I think we missed an option in the poll: "Never"

I like Miller and wish him all the best, but his time has come and gone.

Adjusted the poll.

Edit your votes if you all wish to.

I like Miller, I do, but regardless of slotting 10 in a reserves game still doesn't convince me he has all of a sudden turned the corner as a player!

If he comes in, it has to be for a tall, so who do we leave out?

Johnson - no, two rucks is working well

Watts - no, though not scoring a lot of goals, has footy smarts and delivery by foot well above Miller's capability

Jurrah - no, an x factor who is hard to match up on

Dunn - no, in great touch

We are better off sticking with the setup in the forwardline we have had over the last few weeks......it is mobile, skilful and tough to match up on.

Sorry Brad, barring injury, the current set up should stay for this week!

With Dunn in form there is no room for Miller. We don't need the two of them in the same side. The mix is pretty good at present, don't mess with it too much. Watts needs games, he is coming along well. PJ had a good game yesterday, I reckon leave him in.

Edited by wolfy

Miller has taken to long to show a glimpse of what is required at this level. We all had hopes for so long with him but he never delivered. He has been over taken so easily by first and second year players and even Dunn has proven he will be red and blue for some time to come.

I really was in Millers corner for years there, but its too little to late and too much risk for a current winning formula.

Sorry Brad but with Green, Dunn and the current crop of young kids I wish you all the best.

P.S. I am so hanging on the day a mister Pettard walks back into this team and completes the puzzle.

GO DEE'S

Miller has taken to long to show a glimpse of what is required at this level. We all had hopes for so long with him but he never delivered. He has been over taken so easily by first and second year players and even Dunn has proven he will be red and blue for some time to come.

I really was in Millers corner for years there, but its too little to late and too much risk for a current winning formula.

Sorry Brad but with Green, Dunn and the current crop of young kids I wish you all the best.

P.S. I am so hanging on the day a mister Pettard walks back into this team and completes the puzzle.

GO DEE'S

I agree with you I have been a big promoter over the years and I like the guy!

While he has never quite made it I have never seen him give less than 100%.

He has tried his guts out over the last couple of years when he had very little

Back up in our forward line.

He is plainly very good at VFL level but just not good enough at AFL level.

I get sick of all the "Haters" the guy gives his best get off his back.

Carn the Dees!

I think he's just shown how loyal he is to the red and blue. Just like Brock. Brock realised he wouldn't get a game going forward, so he set up a sensational win for us and got us pick 11. Now Brad has stepped up and kicked 10 goals against the team that gets to pick an out of contract player from each team and the team gets compensated. Why wouldn't GC be hungry for him after that performance and we get a nice draft pick when otherwise we would have delisted him for nothing. It's a win/win for everyone. He gets to extend his career which otherwise would almost certainly have been over, GC get a mature bodied forward to help the kids, we get a draft pick we wouldn't have otherwise got. Thanks Brad is what I say.

Edited by It's Time

Why wouldn't GC be hungry for him after that performance and we get a nice draft pick when otherwise we would have delisted him for nothing. It's a win/win for everyone. He gets to extend his career which otherwise would almost certainly have been over, GC get a mature bodied forward to help the kids, we get a draft pick we wouldn't have otherwise got.

They arent wet behind the ears!!

They will put the performance in the same context as MFC will. If Miller goes to the GC next year, I cant see them paying much for the pleasure.

And your analogy with Brock is just wrong. Carlton would appear to have done a bad deal. There is nothing to suggest that GC will shoot itself as well over Miller.

No, not interersted in bringing Miller in. Our forward line is functional for the first time in ages, so I don't agree with the idea of dicking around with it now. Especially for a player who is just as likely not to touch it for the whole game as he is to kick a bag.

Why break up a winning formula at the moment? Miller was great yesterday, but he was essentially playing against school kids. Look what Rocca did to Dawson all those years ago, it was not going to happen every week though was it? Miller kicked 5 or 6 against Port when he got back in our side, and then what? Not much, same as always.

So why did Bate struggle against school kids then?

Why wouldn't GC be hungry for him after that performance and we get a nice draft pick when otherwise we would have delisted him for nothing.

Because the GC scouts will have watched Miller play more than once. You make it sound as if this was the only time they'd ever have been exposed to Miller. They probably know his performances better than we do.

And why would they bother offering draft picks when it's clear he's going to be delisted anyway? That would be insane. If they have any sense they'd just wait until we delisted him, then they could pick him up with their last pick in the draft. They're not obliged to trade for him.

I think he's just shown how loyal he is to the red and blue. Just like Brock. Brock realised he wouldn't get a game going forward, so he set up a sensational win for us and got us pick 11. Now Brad has stepped up and kicked 10 goals against the team that gets to pick an out of contract player from each team and the team gets compensated. Why wouldn't GC be hungry for him after that performance and we get a nice draft pick when otherwise we would have delisted him for nothing. It's a win/win for everyone. He gets to extend his career which otherwise would almost certainly have been over, GC get a mature bodied forward to help the kids, we get a draft pick we wouldn't have otherwise got. Thanks Brad is what I say.

I hope we can snag a good player in the 3rd or 4th round with that nice draft pick we'll get for Miller.