James McDonald

Steamin Demon

The issue with Junior playing in 2011 is less about whose spot he might take in the team and more about whose spot he might take on the list.

I'd agree that Bell, Miller, & McNamara shape as potential delistings but Cheney is contracted through 2011 (Link) and I'd say PJ is going a long way towards earning his spot over the last few weeks as a #2 ruck.

To pre-empt the rebuttal that Junior is on the Vet's List, his retirement would still open up a senior list spot as Brad Green will be eligible to join the vet's list in his place.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the rumors of Bruce going to GC17 are true then McDonald should get one more year. If Bruce stays a demon and we don't loose any players then I hate to say it but I think it would be time for Junior to pull up stumps.

I agree with your thoughts TD.

This is why I'm hoping Bruce will look to GC-Suns to get a further 2 years.

And we can hopefully keep Junior playing next season.

We all love Trengove.... but if im picking my current best 22 Mcdonald gets in before him regardless.

Trenners is a great young player. Mcdonald is our captain who up to round 11 would be top 3 in the b & f. Get serious guys, it's amazing that he played a game at Casey to start with regardless.

Trengove is in the best 22, and if we weren't coming off a 73 point win it would have been more than Maric out so Trengove could return.

If the club and the captain of the Melbourne Football Club decide that another year is on the cards then that is what will happen.

Bell

Martin

Miller

Mcnamara

PJ

Cheney

All these players would be in the mix to be cut, to think that Mcdonald couldn't go on is foolish.

How about this for an example, here are 10 players who I consider midfielders for Melbourne....

Davey

Moloney

Trengove

Mcdonald

Scully

Jones

Gysberts

Tapscott

Jetta

Sylvia

Does anybody here actually think Mcdonald isn't in the top 5 of that list, and more importantly wouldn't be next season (after the form he showed in the first 11 rounds)

If you don't have him in your top 5 you are blinded by youth. Teams need true leaders.... not players with leadership ability or potential, actual leaders. We only really have 1 player who jumps out at you as captain and that is Mcdonald.

Sure there are other options such as Green, Moloney, Jamar, Rivers etc etc etc. But we would all argue our choice, no one player on that list would get a universal selection. Mcdonald has, does and will.

I was hoping he would retire at the end of last season, but after witnessing how he has played this season, and seeing the improvements we are making on the field, im excited about the prospect of finals next season. To not get pumped by 50 points in the first elimination we will need a true leader like Mcdonald. His job is not done at the MFC in my opinion. But again.... that is for the club and him to decide.

We all love Trengove.... but if im picking my current best 22 Mcdonald gets in before him regardless.

Trenners is a great young player. Mcdonald is our captain who up to round 11 would be top 3 in the b & f. Get serious guys, it's amazing that he played a game at Casey to start with regardless.

Trengove is in the best 22, and if we weren't coming off a 73 point win it would have been more than Maric out so Trengove could return.

If the club and the captain of the Melbourne Football Club decide that another year is on the cards then that is what will happen.

Bell

Martin

Miller

Mcnamara

PJ

Cheney

All these players would be in the mix to be cut, to think that Mcdonald couldn't go on is foolish.

How about this for an example, here are 10 players who I consider midfielders for Melbourne....

Davey

Moloney

Trengove

Mcdonald

Scully

Jones

Gysberts

Tapscott

Jetta

Sylvia

Does anybody here actually think Mcdonald isn't in the top 5 of that list, and more importantly wouldn't be next season (after the form he showed in the first 11 rounds)

If you don't have him in your top 5 you are blinded by youth. Teams need true leaders.... not players with leadership ability or potential, actual leaders. We only really have 1 player who jumps out at you as captain and that is Mcdonald.

Sure there are other options such as Green, Moloney, Jamar, Rivers etc etc etc. But we would all argue our choice, no one player on that list would get a universal selection. Mcdonald has, does and will.

I was hoping he would retire at the end of last season, but after witnessing how he has played this season, and seeing the improvements we are making on the field, im excited about the prospect of finals next season. To not get pumped by 50 points in the first elimination we will need a true leader like Mcdonald. His job is not done at the MFC in my opinion. But again.... that is for the club and him to decide.

I'd rate Trengove in our top 12.

His best asset is he can play mid, forward and back

I'd have him back in the side in a flash. Probably for Bail. Not that Bail "deserves" it but that Trengove is more valuable

I don't envy the match commitee with Moloney, Trengove, Warnock, Tapscott to be fitted in in the next few weeks (maybe Gysberts, McNamara too)

Who'd have thought we would have these problems so soon (and thats not counting longer term injured in Grimes, Petterd)

Bell

Miller

Cheney

McNamara

and possibly PJ. However I am leaning to him getting a 1 yr gig given the yawning gap between Jamar and other talls.

Agree with Miller and Bell. I think Cheney and McNamara are touch and go. Also I share your sentiment on PJ's situation.

No Martin?

Similar.

Bell

Miller

Martin

McNamara

Agree on PJ; Cheney is contracted. Junior (may go around again).

The name Brad Johnson keeps ringing in my ears.

Was Brad Johnson matching his career best form in 2009?

Because from rounds 1 - 11 Mcdonald was playing as well as ever.

You could see at round 18 last year that Brad Johnson might be just about past it.

Mcdonald is the opposite in my opinion.

Guest DeesPower

I see where your coming from RR, I'm just saying that IMO the club will most likely be looking to stagger McDonald's, Bruce's and Green's eventual departure from the club. I believe they wont want to loose anymore then 1 at most at a time, so if Bruce does head North then the club would be more then happy for McDonald to go on next year I believe.

As far as Bruce and McDonald both being on the vets list, Green will also be eligable to go on the list next season, so if one of Junior or Bruce leave, Green can take their spot and Green's spot on the normal list will become 1 of 5 spots that becomes available.

I don't think we should lose sight of the fact that with our recent good form in the main it has been the veterans who have stepped up. Sure they all have been buoyed by the silky skills of the sublimely talented youngsters at the club, and that has caused them to rise to the occasion on the basis of great players playing better in better teams, but many of our wins this year have come from the dominance of Green, Jamar, Maloney, Bruce and Jmac . Without them, we would have been lucky to win a couple of games. We should not underestimate this contribution as we seek to climb up the ladder into the eight. We will need them next year if we are to increase our competitiveness.

Edited by DeesPower

The name Brad Johnson keeps ringing in my ears.

I think we need to keep our good leaders & true clubmen at the club at this point & retire them one year at a time. McDonald should stay.

We don't have to look far at all to see what can happen when you lose too much experience & club loyalty all in one foul swoop. Just look over at the Windy Hill Hangar.

Losing Loyd & Lucas together was too much at once, both out of there forwards & experienced leaders. They should have done it one at a time.

Edit: typo's & spelling.

Edited by dee-luded

I have no problem with the notion of Junior playing for another year provided he is ready for the possible downside. He needs to look at the other guys who have stayed on that one extra year and decide if he wants to find himself playing a part-time role as a leader and captain who isn't really in the best 22 anymore. That's the worst-case scenario for him and he needs to think about it.

The possible upside is of course that he could have another year like this one and be one of our best inside mids with his clearance and tackling work and proudly lead us to a semi-final.

There's a lot of middle ground between those two extremes, and probably the reality would be somewhere in the middle. I really hope that if he does stay around it's closer to the good than the bad. I also really hope that he's taking both scenarios into consideration when thinking about his options.

Honestly, it will depend on how Junior pulls up come the end of the season.

They say that a week is a long time in footy, and there's still 5 home and away rounds left in the season. When the time comes, I, for one, have full confidence that Junior will make the right decision for both himself and the club.

Edit: proofreading

Edited by Dr. Mubutu

Macca was like playing a man down last night. I hope they play him untill his 250th then the tough calls must be made.

i think he has done enough for the club to be able to receive his 250 in a few weeks. Chances are he will play out the season and get a hero's send off. (thats if he decided to call it a day)

Junior deserves to play another year if that is what he wants. He should be told however that the captaincy should be handed over and that he will not be guaranteed a game and may play at Casey to help develop the kids. If he is ok with this I see no issue.

Green - 2011 captain?

If he wants another year, he gets another year.

Seriously, dropping James McDonald from our list for the privilege of getting, say, pick 50?

I think not.

We'll see how he reasserts himself in the last four rounds, coming back from the multiple weeks off.

Also, I choose not to imagine him farewelled in round 22 for other reasons, not yet... :)

We can only hope so, Should have been captain a while ago.

I think the club is trying to get JMc to 250 games. Doubt he'll go on next year.

He's done an incredible job being an honest and hard working role model for the youngsters coming through.

Brad Green captain next season imo. Is super consistent. Can go forward and kick inspirational goals, and if he isn't getting involved in the play, can move himself to the midfield or defence

Junior deserves to play another year if that is what he wants. He should be told however that the captaincy should be handed over and that he will not be guaranteed a game and may play at Casey to help develop the kids. If he is ok with this I see no issue.

It's not for Junior to 'hand over' or the club to dictate.

The playing group votes on the captaincy (and leadership group). None of the coach, FD, Board, or anyone else has any say. It's not part of anybody's contract or something that is promised to any player by the club.