• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

James McDonald

Steamin Demon

It's not for Junior to 'hand over' or the club to dictate.

The playing group votes on the captaincy (and leadership group). None of the coach, FD, Board, or anyone else has any say. It's not part of anybody's contract or something that is promised to any player by the club.

If that is the case I feel that Moloney will win a vote above Green.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest watts04

people shouldnt write junior off on one game or a few games

has made a brilliant career out of proving people wrong

will be cptain in 2011, we dont have great leadership at our club yet

I find it ridiculous that people are asking for a blokes head after his first game of football from an 8 week injury. Talk about short memories. Do some reading through some threads from earlier in the year and some were believing he was in close to career best form.

Give the bloke a few weeks to get back on the horse FFS.

The problem is we need to move on 4 players at the end of the season (3 draft picks + Jordie goes on the list).

Normally it would be great to have an experienced player like Junior around for another season, but I can only think of Miller and Bell as certain delistings. I'm sure it would be on Juniors mind that we have a dilemma coming up seasons end.

The problem is we need to move on 4 players at the end of the season (3 draft picks + Jordie goes on the list).

Normally it would be great to have an experienced player like Junior around for another season, but I can only think of Miller and Bell as certain delistings. I'm sure it would be on Juniors mind that we have a dilemma coming up seasons end.

Assuming we will delist four players, I would think that Miller, Bell, Newton and one other would go. I can't imagine that Paul Johnson would be shafted just yet, and if the rumours of Cameron Bruce going to the Suns is BS, then McDonald might be that last player. I doubt he'd go around again if he didn't think he'd make it. But we have seen Brett Kirk play for one year too many, so I guess it's possible that Junior may, too. Let's just see how he goes next week.

I find it ridiculous that people are asking for a blokes head after his first game of football from an 8 week injury. Talk about short memories. Do some reading through some threads from earlier in the year and some were believing he was in close to career best form.

Give the bloke a few weeks to get back on the horse FFS.

I think it's more the fact that he's starting to deteriorate half way through the season. Has happened a couple of years in a row now, you said it yourself, an 8 week injury, an one that would have been 3 weeks for a younger body.

Love the bloke as a Captain, you can never fault his endeavour or his willingness to put the club before himself, and sure he might have had good early season form, but the fact is his body is just not able to cope as well anymore and he would struggle badly next year.

In short, form is not the question, nor is heart, and I would love to be wrong, but Junior's body is struggling.

He and Bruce will both be given the option to play on depending on their bodies.

Junior was playing great footy prior to his injury which may see him go round once more (with a full pre-season under his belt).

Assuming we will delist four players, I would think that Miller, Bell, Newton and one other would go. I can't imagine that Paul Johnson would be shafted just yet, and if the rumours of Cameron Bruce going to the Suns is BS, then McDonald might be that last player. I doubt he'd go around again if he didn't think he'd make it. But we have seen Brett Kirk play for one year too many, so I guess it's possible that Junior may, too. Let's just see how he goes next week.

Newton doesn't count as a delisting.

We need to delist 4-5 from the senior list. Rookie listed players are irrelevant.

No, it is still only the mandatory three. Rookie upgrades now count as a pick. Having said that, I believe that we will move on at least four, not counting rookies.

I guess the option is to delist Bell and Miller and upgrade our 3 compulsory draft picks by trading Warnock and Bate.

I can't see any other options, guys like Stef Martin have more development potential than either the above.

I think Junior will go around again and why shouldn't he?

While McDonald and Bruce may both be capable of playing another season, and doing so at a high level, it's unlikely they'll be able to do so for another three seasons. So playing another year means keeping two developing players out of the team who will be there in three years when we're competing for the premiership.

In past years, the MFC has respectfully coordinated the early retirement of numerous Club greats e.g. Robertson, Whelan, White, Yze (granted perhaps none are the ilk of Junior and Bruce at their best), and the team has been better for it. With senior players like Green, Moloney, Sylvia and Jamar all stepping up this season the experience and leadership that McDonald and Bruce offer is now being covered by others. IMO time for another hard decision this year.

I guess the option is to delist Bell and Miller and upgrade our 3 compulsory draft picks by trading Warnock and Bate.

I can't see any other options, guys like Stef Martin have more development potential than either the above.

I think Junior will go around again and why shouldn't he?

Ravi I cannot believe you would trade Warnock!

one injury in the backline and then who do you go to?

He is cast in concrete for me

Before you jetison Bate and Warnock have you thought of delisting

Mcnamara, Martin, Cheney, Jetta or Maric.

none of the above can hold a candle to Warnock and Bate.

Edited by old dee

Ravi I cannot believe you would trade Warnock!

one injury in the backline and then who do you go to?

He is cast in concrete for me

Before you jetison Bate and Warnock have you thought of delisting

Mcnamara, Martin, Cheney, Jetta or Maric.

none of the above can hold a candle to Warnock and Bate.

I know, old dee it hurts, but from what I can gather all the names you listed except for Mcnamara are contracted for 2011.

The reasons I nominated Warnock and Bater are;

Warnock is not in our best 22 and we have Martin and T.Mac as a back up

Bater has only got a left side and therefore is very predictable....and he is not in our best 22 at present either.

I would rather keep them both but the numbers just don't stack up

Junior isnt holding back Trengove at all. Every game Junior has played so has JT. They also play different roles. On this years form Junior is good enough to claim a year. If he does there should no reason why he is not captain again.

He did last weekend. If it wasn't for McDonald being the captain Trengove would have (and should have) played.

I'd make this McDonald's last year. He's had a great year, but at 34 he shouldn't go on. Next year it's just going to get harder and harder to get games into Tapscott, Blease and Gysberts with McDonald demanding a game. The game can go past you pretty quickly and I don't want McDonald getting games at the expense of players that will be part of our next premiership. And I don't think that he'll be sorely missed.

He did last weekend. If it wasn't for McDonald being the captain Trengove would have (and should have) played.

I'd make this McDonald's last year. He's had a great year, but at 34 he shouldn't go on. Next year it's just going to get harder and harder to get games into Tapscott, Blease and Gysberts with McDonald demanding a game. The game can go past you pretty quickly and I don't want McDonald getting games at the expense of players that will be part of our next premiership. And I don't think that he'll be sorely missed.

Could not agree more.

There are now some of the sharpest hands I've ever seen at the club, kids that just instinctively clear the ball into the best position. Jordie, Scully, Trengove Watts and Gysberts (I hear Tapscott does well too) are superb, whether it's been a glimpse, like Jizz, or game after game, Jordie.

The old firm don't compare.

Junior should step aside. He's had a great career.

Inclined to agree somewhat. The more I watch the likes of McKenzie, Bail and their improvement, the more I think he will not be sorely missed. I am all for getting games into those players mentioned. With another pre-season under their wings they'll be demanding games.

Early to mid year I was open to Junior going around again in 2011 based on his form. Outstanding form at that for a 33-34yo. Arguably AA squad form. However the recent injury to Junior is a timely reminder, that things can deteriorate rapidly at this level that is demanding.

I have full confidence that JMac and the club will make the right decision for the club. Whilst I tend to think that keeping him on our list at 34 is probably not the way to go, I'll be happy with the club's decision either way and accept it as the right decision.

All I'll say about JMac personally is that leading up to his hammy he was definitely starting to slow up a bit. He had a 6 week break and his body had a chance to rejuvenate as did the mind and recently he has indicated that he'd like to go another year. Human nature is a funny thing, had he not had the hammy and continued to battle away I wonder if his mindset may have been a little different. They say a week is a long time in footy, so 6 weeks is an eon - defintiely needs to reasses at the end of the season IMO. Like I said, I'll accept what the club goes with though.

Why are people suggesting to trade Bate???? He's in a form slump, sure...but he is still in our best 22. Probably one of the more recognised "young guns" of Melbourne for the footy media - no way is he trade bait.

Why are people suggesting to trade Bate???? He's in a form slump, sure...but he is still in our best 22. Probably one of the more recognised "young guns" of Melbourne for the footy media - no way is he trade bait.

I think both Bate and Warnock have some trade value and I can't see either as key position premiership players.

If Bate wasn't so one-dimensional his name would never be raised.

Unless we have another rabbit up our sleeve, a la 2009 putting Meeson & Newton on the rookie list, 4 players min. have to go.

It was easier 6 weeks ago when Barts and PJ looked gone for all money, but with no ruck support for Jamar, and Bartram in great form, they both have to stay.

It's only my opinion but Stef Martin will be a better player than Warnock for our window, he is quick and agile. He also is contracted for 2011 and Warnock isn't.

Edited by ravi shanker

I know, old dee it hurts, but from what I can gather all the names you listed except for Mcnamara are contracted for 2011.

The reasons I nominated Warnock and Bater are;

Warnock is not in our best 22 and we have Martin and T.Mac as a back up

Bater has only got a left side and therefore is very predictable....and he is not in our best 22 at present either.

I would rather keep them both but the numbers just don't stack up

Well Ravi I am not going to let the truth / facts get in the way of a good story. Guess you have me there!

However simply because a player may not be in our best 22 does not mean you give them the flick,

There is rarely a time when you can put your best 22 on the park.

Your theory also assumes ever young guy on the list will be in the "best 22".

Doubt it! Some will prosper others won't.

It will be interesting to see the list come Jan 2011.

I think both Bate and Warnock have some trade value and I can't see either as key position premiership players.

If Bate wasn't so one-dimensional his name would never be raised.

Unless we have another rabbit up our sleeve, a la 2009 putting Meeson & Newton on the rookie list, 4 players min. have to go.

It was easier 6 weeks ago when Barts and PJ looked gone for all money, but with no ruck support for Jamar, and Bartram in great form, they both have to stay.

It's only my opinion but Stef Martin will be a better player than Warnock for our window, he is quick and agile. He also is contracted for 2011 and Warnock isn't.

What is this one dimension crap. Aaron Davey doesn't have a right foot either but you don't want to throw him out. If we trade Bate it must be because we got a very good offer (pick 20 or higher). He's not key position but he can turn games of footy. He has deficiencies in his game which is why he's currently at Casey.

And how is Martin better than Warnock. Warnock is an extremely honest full back who has shown he can compete and not be destroyed by the best forwards in the game. At AFL level he is a role player, at VFL level he is dominant. If we are trading him we better pick a young key defender as cover. Martin seems to be without a position, soft and struggling in the VFL 2's. If he's contracted for next year then I'd be rookie-ing him like Newton and Meesen were. He is behind 4 in line and slipping for a ruck spot and not viable in any other position on the ground.