What is Petterd worth?

Freak

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The odds of Petterd staying are the same as Ablett staying. Ablett is definitely going and Guy McKenna along with the Gold Coast CEO recently bought a multi-million $$$ property at auction. i wonder who that is for? I have the exact address

Wow, Mckenna buys a property on the Gold Coast......and you know the EXACT address.

I have heard that Rick has been offered 3 times the amount of money by GC than what we have offered him.

Source (because I know you are not allowed to post such things without a source) Someone I know has a daughter who is good friends with RP.

I have no idea if he is staying or going, but if I was offered that sort of money, I`d be giving some serious thought.

The odds of Petterd staying are the same as Ablett staying. Ablett is definitely going and Guy McKenna along with the Gold Coast CEO recently bought a multi-million $$$ property at auction. i wonder who that is for? I have the exact address

WOW. The man with the plan.

Well then that settles it.

Proof positive that Ablett and Petterd are going.

Geez I wonder if that no flaws forward Newton will get us a big deal with GC. Definite Category 1 or 2.

Seriously though Category 3 for Petterd if he goes.

I have heard that Rick has been offered 3 times the amount of money by GC than what we have offered him.

Source (because I know you are not allowed to post such things without a source) Someone I know has a daughter who is good friends with RP.

I have no idea if he is staying or going, but if I was offered that sort of money, I`d be giving some serious thought.

If I was Ricky or his manager these are exactly the type of rumours I would perpetuate.

Let's assume for the sake of this thread Petterd is going.

The AFL have stated in the release that the primary criteria will be age and new contract Offer.

Age- 21

Puts him in the upper end of this category.

New contract offer- without knowing much about his current contract i think he could be offered something in the vicinity of 400,000 quite easily (as no doubt GC17 will factor in the potential he's shown, his young age and the need to provide sufficient $ to 'lure' him up there).

I would say that this will put him in Cat 3 at the worst. If the contract is big enough he may even squeak into Cat 2.

I believe he is going and i think if he has been non-committal so far to MFC then it is only due diligence for them to explore all options and relevant compensation in order to plan for the future. If he stays then all is good but better to be prepared for the worst case scenario.

It is also my understanding that for this years draft and the one following, any compensatory first round pick cannot be used until the end of Round 1 meaning that the earliest it could be used is about pick 27. However if the club holds onto it until the 2012 draft then it can be used immediately after their first pick in the first round of that draft(for Cat 2 players) or at end of first round (for Cat 3 players). ie if they have pick 12 then the compensation pick is used at pick 13 or at end of first round depending on the category.

Unless you believe the 2010 or 2011 drafts will run very deep then it makes no sense to use the pick until at least 2012.

Considering Melbourne and where we believe they will be by 2012 (playing finals) that would mean (based on a top 8) that their earliest first round pick in that draft would be pick 9 (for an 8th place finish with no prioirty picks that year). If they use the compensatory pick then they would then get pick 10 or at the worst pick 17 or so also. Given that Melbourne will hopefully be at the pointy end of the ladder for a period of 5 or more years around this time then the value of an additional first round pick in 2012-2013 heightens. It could be used as trade bait to obtain a player to fill any hole we may have in our team or we can use two picks to ensure we keep bringing in top young talent in our window of success.

Essentially what i am trying to say is that it would appear that the best thing for the MFC if Petterd goes and we get a first round pick is to hold onto it until our window of success is open and use that pick strategically to strengthen the club or keep fresh top talent coming through- rather than chancing it on a mid 30's selection in 2010 or 2011.

That all makes sense doesn't it..........(my head hurts!)

GC will clearly be interested in Petterd. Equally clear is that they will be able to offer him more than we can. It will simply come down to whether Ricky goes for the money or stays with the club he 'loves'. The fact that no contract progress has been reported despite being sidelined for 6 or 7 weeks is not a good sign. There is no doubt that the odds are firming that Ricky will leave. As Richard Bolt says in a 'Man for all Seasons', "Every man has his price".

The question is, what category does Petterd fall into? The thing is, Petterd hasn't been able to show his full worth due to injury. But I would love it if he managed to slip into the 2nd Category although I think that to be honest, he is probably more a category 3 player given he has been injured all year.

Thoughts?

Whilst I have my suspicions, in no way do I wish to perpetuate the ideology that Petterd will leave the club because we simply don't know. I will answer the question in a general sense by saying it is a chook raffle.

When the concept was first floated of club compensation based on the "level" or "category" of player who was to be (we'll go with) poached, I think most of us had raised eyebrows. The AFL are the last entity I would have faith in to value a player based both on what they bring in a commercial and professional sense as well as what impact their absence leaves on their former club. The AFL is about to exercise a policy of subjectivity never before seen and it has great propensity to be a debacle. Time and time again we see controversial nominations and entrants into the annual AA team and that is based on the opinions of a panel of "experts". I would give my left nut (I wouldn't really, just a little inebriated from some birthday beverages) to know the process of player evaluation the AFL will adopt for club compensation of poached players. Will they have "expert" insight from Mike Sheean, James Hird and Gerard Healey or will Andrew Demetriou pull out bingo balls from Adrian Anderson's backside?

GC will clearly be interested in Petterd. Equally clear is that they will be able to offer him more than we can. It will simply come down to whether Ricky goes for the money or stays with the club he 'loves'. The fact that no contract progress has been reported despite being sidelined for 6 or 7 weeks is not a good sign. There is no doubt that the odds are firming that Ricky will leave. As Richard Bolt says in a 'Man for all Seasons', "Every man has his price".

I was one who was told that he loved it here & wanted to stay. I now think that as a Queenslander he will go home. It just seems to neat a fit all round.

The disappointing thing if Petterd leaves the MFC is that this club has put a lot of effort into him, and some other make-believe club is going to get the benefit of the MFC's work.

Petterd has shown a lot, but the fact remains that the MFC has a lot more in Petterd credits on its ledger than vice versa.

Right, so the Gold Coast coach and CEO have bought a house. Somehow, the only logical conclusion to this is that they bought it specifically for Garry Ablett as part of an under-the-table incentive to lure him to the Gold Coast FC- a scheme so well executed that it is happening right under the nose of the AFL and the GFC, and, paradoxically, so poorly executed that you've caught wind of it already. I guess it's not that much sillier than saying Petterd is a certainty to go the the Gold Coast on the grounds that he grew up there and (GASP EXCLAMATION!) he recently went and watched a Gold Coast game.

If he goes, I think unfortunately we're looking at a category 3 at best, category 4 at worst. Looking solely at his age and his output when on the park, he'd be a category 3, but if they factor in his draft number and history of injuries, he might fall into category 4. While I'd rather keep him, we'll be getting off relatively lightly at the end of the year if all we lose is Petterd for a 1st or early 2nd round draft pick. Clubs will lose very good players at the end of the year, some will lose current and future champions. Petterd is a good honest footballer and a very handy player right now given his skillset and our current deficiencies, but is no superstar and is not imperative to our premiership plans.

i heard from my cousin who lives on gold coast and played footy with him...he has signed a two year deal....i have seen tagged facebook photos of them out on the weekend....

signed with melbourne sorry..

Edited by disco_demon

melb

Fan-[censored]-tastic, if that's true I won't be getting the 15 taken off my footy jumper :D

(Or at least the 5, my backup option is Cale Morton)

Couldn't disagree more. At worst he would be 3rd category. He has youth on his side. and had kicked 12 goals in 6 games which is not too bad for a 21yr old.

I think we are looking definitely borderline 2 and 3

I think 2 is ambitious. VERY ambitious.

I'm confused. How does the CEO and McKenna buying some property have anything to do with Ablett, much less Ricky?

You've given us nothing here Freak, not willing to name your source, you're just stirring up crap. Poor form.

I think 2 is ambitious. VERY ambitious.

I'm confused. How does the CEO and McKenna buying some property have anything to do with Ablett, much less Ricky?

You've given us nothing here Freak, not willing to name your source, you're just stirring up crap. Poor form.

I think Freak is trying to build his credibility on the Petterd rumour by claiming he already knows of the house CG purchased for Ablett, thus making him a fountain of inside knowledge that should strike the fear of god into all of us.

Apparently Ricky has already booked his kids into a local GC school....

I hear the GC council is having a leadership vote tomorrow in a push to get him to take over the party. Meanwhile, to throw Melbourne off, our government has got in on the action and have deployed a distraction tactic by holding their own leadership vote. This will surely send us into such a tailspin that we won't only lose Ricky Petterd to the GC, we'll somehow end up with Nathan Ablett as compensation.

But to sell his soul for Wales?

Freak, give us a source please. I can't accept your "I have it on good authority". I have had many things on "good authority". I would never post any of them unless I was willing to substantiate my post. If you have something reliable then let us know. Otherwise you are just sh%# stirring and that is very annoying. Do that somewhere else.

Huh, 2 banana benders living under the one roof? LOL... :rolleyes: I think we can trust them, well, at least I think so.

As much as GAblett Jnr can be trusted, anyway.

You know what,,, I trust the footy dept more than any other person around our club Now. I couldn't say that over the last 20 or so years. it's a good feeling, but kind of empty, like I have less to be concerned about. I haven't even been to any U-18 games this year, but I might change that this W/End, week.

Ricky Petterd told you and I at Junction Oval several weeks ago that he would be here next year.Don't you believe him ?