Bennell pulled out of another contest

Guest Thomo

Guest Thomo

Not sure why this has not received any mentions.

In the last quarter on Friday night Bennell failed to put his body on the line. The ball was loose in front of Bennell, a bulldog player came sliding in and Bennell jumped over him instead of attacking the ball. Clearly chose not to contest the footy. I watched the replay again last night to make sure.

I think he has great skill and speed, and hopefully can be come an important player at Melbourne, but after this one I'd send him back to the VFL this week to work on his attitude.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did see it Thomo. I also saw Sylvia do the same thing. With the opponent sliding in, they've both avoided contact (perhaps injury). I was a little furious at the game, even surprised by Sylvia's motion to avoid contact.

That said, I'm big on our player's keeping their feet in contested situations. I'm also big on putting their bodies on the line and I don't want them to go in recklessly and risk injury. They're smart enough to know when to put their body in when required.

On a positive note, I thought Bennell's goal was excellent and should get goal of the week. His mark was equally as impressive.

I can't recall the exact incident but I'm not that concerned about players indulging in a little self-preservation in those circumstances (wet night, late in the game, opponent sliding in at speed).

If for whatever reason a player is not in a position to match an opponent's attack on the footy - weight on the wrong foot, opponent comes sliding in from an unexpected direction - I would rather see them not break their leg or ankle, and keep their feet to make the next contest.

There's brave and courageous and then there's reckless regard for one's own safety. You're no good to your team if you've got a broken leg or you get a concussion that knocks you around for a month like Jordan Lewis or Scott Stevens.

In the last quarter on Friday night Bennell failed to put his body on the line. The ball was loose in front of Bennell, a bulldog player came sliding in and Bennell jumped over him instead of attacking the ball. Clearly chose not to contest the footy. I watched the replay again last night to make sure.

I think he has great skill and speed, and hopefully can be come an important player at Melbourne, but after this one I'd send him back to the VFL this week to work on his attitude.

You guys are missing several things:

Firstly Bennell is a small guy and a player sliding in can give/receive enormous damage to themselves or a player they collide with. Its simply not worth it in the long run. A Bennell out for 10 weeks does no good to the team for 1 brave/foolhardy act to appease you.

Secondly, the tackling on Friday was very intelligent. They did not give away silly free kicks which you would often do by barging in. What they did on a lot of occasions was waited a fraction of a second before tackling the player legally.

Thirdly, my observation is that you have never played the game at any senior level have you? There are smart ways to engage the opposition on a wet and slippery night and there are dumb ways. The smart way is what Bennell did when he scored that fantastic goal.

I'm sorry Thomo but this is pathetic.

In Davey's first couple of seasons, he wouldn't get within 5 meters of a contested situation. He would always be dabbing one hand or one foot in.

Exactly the same can be said about Green. He used to be labelled soft in his early days because he would avoid putting his body on the line when it was needed.

Now look at both of these players. While they are not Campbell Browns, they have certainly shown that they can put their body on the line when needed.

Some players have a natural "no fear" style to their play and for others it comes after experience and confidence. Confidence in the body is a big thing too.

Bennell is still very slight.

There are far too many good thing's about Bennells game and dropping him would do nothing but lower his confidence. Point it out to him at the match review and tell

him he needs to work on it.

Bennell will be fine. He is in his second year of footy. Jesus !

Guest Thomo

Maybe I was looking for Bennell to pull out of contests, so I didn't notice others do it. I guess I was comparing it to Scully last week when he was in a similar position against a Ruckman and attacked the ball, younger, lighter then Jamie, but eyes only for the ball. I

In the last quater when scores are close I think Bennell should have contested the footy. He did some good things, and shows class, but he needs to work on this part of his game.

I didn't have a problem with it as such. In wet conditions he was merely avoiding injury to himself or avoiding giving a freekick away, as there is no way he would have been able to tackle the bulldog without plunging into his back.

Edited by AdamFarr

Maybe I was looking for Bennell to pull out of contests, so I didn't notice others do it. I guess I was comparing it to Scully last week when he was in a similar position against a Ruckman and attacked the ball, younger, lighter then Jamie, but eyes only for the ball. I

In the last quater when scores are close I think Bennell should have contested the footy. He did some good things, and shows class, but he needs to work on this part of his game.

Scully wasn't confronted with a player sliding towards him at speed on a wet surface. Both players in the Scully-McIntosh collision were on their feet.

If what you said earlier about the Bennell incident is correct - the opponent was sliding in - it's a completely different set of circumstances.

Bennell did not pull out of the contest but was late to a contest where the Dogs player with ball was on the ground.

Bennell was moving at pace and in the slippery conditions avoided unnecessary and dangerous contact with the Dogs player.

It was a reasonable action to take given the situation. Bennell may have pulled out of a tackle against Collingwood but we should be spared the Spanish Inquisition allegations on matters where that was not the case.

These are the kind of things players will learn. Consider Sylvia broke his jaw not long ago. I don't think he is the kind of player to back out of a contest. We're still growing as a team, and players are still learning. Pretty harsh to criticise, especially considering the performance of the team and specific players (namely Bennell).

Guest DeesPower

oh I think Scully is totally different from Bennell. Different body type, even different sort of player. Scully relies on hardnessat the ball, relentless running and terrific foot and hand skills. Bennell at this stage is an outside player, sublime skills, quick and a terrific mark for his size. Much better mark than scully and a more accurate kick for goal from a set shot.

Scully is and will be a lot better player but there is a place for a player like Bennell. You are right though he does have towork at his hardness at the ball just as Green, Davey, and even Junior in their early days had to. And look at them now....

Edited by DeesPower

Bennell did not pull out of the contest but was late to a contest where the Dogs player with ball was on the ground.

Bennell was moving at pace and in the slippery conditions avoided unnecessary and dangerous contact with the Dogs player.

It was a reasonable action to take given the situation. Bennell may have pulled out of a tackle against Collingwood but we should be spared the Spanish Inquisition allegations on matters where that was not the case.

Agreed on all accounts. If he'd been a second earlier then perhaps he might have had a chance in the contest.

I'm embarrassed by this thread & several others bagging players. Different players, different talents. Not everyone is Balls Grinter. Do some of you examine every replay for players to bellyache about? This is so out of kilter with the mood & spirit of our club right now.

At the time in the split second it happened, I thought it was the right decision by Bennell so I'll stick with that. The Bulldog's player was on the ground, Bennell kept his feet. In the past, we've put ourselves at a disadvantage by not keeping our feet so I am pleased Bennell was up and about while for a few seconds one of their players was down & out of it.

There was no way by going to ground, Bennell was going to do anything to our advantage.

At the time in the split second it happened, I thought it was the right decision by Bennell so I'll stick with that. The Bulldog's player was on the ground, Bennell kept his feet. In the past, we've put ourselves at a disadvantage by not keeping our feet so I am pleased Bennell was up and about while for a few seconds one of their players was down & out of it.

There was no way by going to ground, Bennell was going to do anything to our advantage.

It may well be the correct thing to do. The maggots have been paying freee kicks to players who slide in and get contact to the shoulder or head; even though they have caused it. Daniel Cross on Friday is a good example.

I'm embarrassed by this thread & several others bagging players. Different players, different talents. Not everyone is Balls Grinter. Do some of you examine every replay for players to bellyache about? This is so out of kilter with the mood & spirit of our club right now.

Agree 100% Dreamin' Man! Bennell played very well on Friday night, and is continuing to prove his worth to this ever-improving team. In fact, some of the things he did in the wet were quite exceptional! The coach praised his efforts, and so should we. This nit-picking is downright unfair on the player!

There was one incident on Friday where it looked like Bennell went to kick the ball off the ground instead of trying to take possession. I didn't like the look of it, but he played well enough outside of that for it to not matter.

He's getting better. I think some players just don't have that natural courage or aggression, and for them it takes time. Instead of getting worried about that, let's analyse the rest of his game, which is improving with each week as he adjusts to playing forward. I'm still looking for a 4 quarter effort, but I'm quite happy with Bennell at the moment.

Agree.

It was a super quick and correct decision. I applaud him for that, others bag him, horses for courses I guess.

If he had dropped into that contest it would have most likely have been his knees riding into the back. Probable result, 1 injured Bulldog, 1 Suspended and probably injured Bennell. There's actually no need to play football like Hawthorn to win Premierships.

I can't recall the exact incident but I'm not that concerned about players indulging in a little self-preservation in those circumstances (wet night, late in the game, opponent sliding in at speed).

If for whatever reason a player is not in a position to match an opponent's attack on the footy - weight on the wrong foot, opponent comes sliding in from an unexpected direction - I would rather see them not break their leg or ankle, and keep their feet to make the next contest.

There's brave and courageous and then there's reckless regard for one's own safety. You're no good to your team if you've got a broken leg or you get a concussion that knocks you around for a month like Jordan Lewis or Scott Stevens.

How much did we lose by again?

Watching the replay I thought if Bennell went in we could have witnessed another "Brown v Whelan" incident. Bennell was at pace when the doggie was sliding, I think Bennell avoided injury at that moment... But what do I know :wacko:

If MFC were to demote him to Casey for that effort, you will need to omit a further 21 players for slight mistakes!

Edited by Sturmmann

Have a look at the Tredrea incident and many like it over the last few years. Tredrea may be finished as a result of his tackle on a player sliding in. These types of incidents have seen long term injuries caused to the player standing up doing the tackle. I go along with most here and want my players on the field not injured in dangerous tackles. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valour.

All our youngsters need to work on some part or other of their game, but sending them back to Casey when their overall form is good is not the answer...... indeed it could very easily be counter-productive from a confidence perspective. Please give the guy a break!

The only possible outcome would have been to hurt himself or the other bloke if he hadn't have jumped as he did. There is absolutely no way he could've had a significant impact on the contest in the split second he reacted.

He hasn't been allowed to forget about what happened in the Collingwood game (which is probably fair enough), but now it seems we are just looking for instances of doing the wrong thing that just aren't there. Ridiculous thread.