Grimes execution by foot

Guest Graham Gaunt

Purely speculating here, but I get the feeling he is trying to imitate Davey's chip style delivery and clearly it is not as easy to pull off as everyone thinks..

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Grimes can kick fine it's his decision making that let's him down on occasions.

Against North Melbourne it looked as though 80% of his kicks were sideways kicks, often when a switch of play was not the best option. Sometimes he needs to just go the safe option and not try and get too fancy.

I think it's the opposite. I think he's a great decision maker but his kicks can go wonky. Lack of concentration maybe fatigue which can mess up the technique.

I don't think Grimes was the only person at the MFC to learn about footy in the wet from their mistakes.

The decision to play Paul Johnson was very questionable. Sure we need a bitta height down forward; but for the big man to come and play his first game of the year in the rain...

Doesn't matter who you are, when it's wet the ball is like a cake of soap. Tall forwards will generally struggle in the conditions.

One of Frawley's kick-ins was smothered after he kicked it to himself and played on. It came back immediately as a goal and was worse than any of Grimes' errors.

It was wet and everybody on the ground made errors. Get over it.

I reckon Grimes' kicking has been OK for most of this year and can't see why there's the sudden push to specifically pick him out for errors.

Correct on both fronts.

so true- where were you last week when I was saying the same things-also lac of discipline on ocassions

Give it a break JCB. Even after you grilled the coach about it, its not a lack of discipline.

Obviously because he's played 19 games and should be flawless by now.

It would seem so. :rolleyes:

Strauss or Cheney

Not Cheney, he's a spud, just a poor version of Grimes. Cheney doesn't have the size for talls or the speed for smalls. I want Grimes in the team, but I want Strauss as well because long term he is the dangerous kick that good teams have.

Just watched the replay after having been at game on Friday night.

Watched carefully for Grimes. He was very good during the game. He used the ball well by hand and by foot. He did have two kicks chopped by the opposition but neither interception were costly to MFC.His decision making was also good in traffic. Some of the garbage written about Grimes is just unbelievable.

Watched carefully for Grimes. He was very good during the game. He used the ball well by hand and by foot. He did have two kicks chopped by the opposition but neither interception were costly to MFC.His decision making was also good in traffic. Some of the garbage written about Grimes is just unbelievable.

Now you might know how I feel when unbelievable comments are made about a certain player

If anything, Grimes is too good a decision maker and kick. He will look, as Davey does and TJ did, at delivering passes

that are needle threading and opposition breaking and not what the mere mortal kicks in the AFL attempt.

Grimes was steady and balanced and played a great game on Friday night, if he makes a mistake he more the

makes up for it when his other forward thrusts charge through the opposition.

i find funny whenever bate bruce or batram make mistakes everyone jumps on their backs, grimes turned it over at least 4 or 5 times

just saying, even though grimes is one of my favourite players & is a star. an observation

I thought his issue on Friday night was too often he tried to thread the needle in terms of his kicking when really you shouldn't do that on a wet night (Unless you have 36 on your back).

Generally a very good kick and I don't see a major issue with his disposal.

absolutely spot on

needs to adjust to wet weather footy and because he has a good brain he will

A little bit off topic but how was Davey's pass off hbf to Green in the corridor in between about 3 Dogs?

It was almost as if he was taking the [censored] on a night like that. Extraordinary skills.

Just in case I haven't made it clear: this thread is completely & utterly ridiculous.

I don't- however I just wish these posters were around last week as they are so so correct in their analysis..Grimes will be an elite player but his decision making is sometimes poor.Also his kicking at times has let him down.RR ,I also watched the game and then watched the replay- Grimes cost us 2 goals.Simple as that-anyhow thought we are allowed our opinions.

Edited by jayceebee31

I don't- however I just wish these posters were around last week as they are so so correct in their analysis..Grimes will be an elite player but his decision making is sometimes poor.Also his kicking at times has let him down.

Grimes is top 5 at the club for kicks, marks and disposals. He has played 19 games.

If people can't program those facts into their brain before coming on here and talking about his sometimes poor disposal and decision making, then it is a poor reflection on their football analysis and not on Grimes.

A guy who can't kick and doesn't make the right decisions and isn't disciplined, is never going to be trusted with taking the kick-ins for his team 9 times out of 10. Think about that, let it immerse your brain and then move on.

Grimes is playing a FOREIGN position because the coach thinks he is so good at it, and so disciplined at defending and then attacking, that he won't play him in his natural position which is the midfield. Talk to anyone at Melbourne, anyone at all, and they'll tell you just how much they love Grimes. I sat with our head of marketing last year and he told me that Grimes missed out on a leadership position by a mere few votes, and that was after playing 12 senior games.

Sometimes when I come to Demonland I wish I hadn't.

Grimes is playing a FOREIGN position because the coach thinks he is so good at it, and so disciplined at defending and then attacking, that he won't play him in his natural position which is the midfield.

First, most kids that get drafted will have either played midfield (or forward if tall) as a kid simply because they're talented, and those are the roles talented kids are given. The other kids play the roles that require less creativity etc.

Second, I'm pretty sure Grimes spent at least some of his rep time off a HBF. I'm also not convinced that he'll end up as a midfielder, but won't be surprised either way.

Talk to anyone at Melbourne, anyone at all, and they'll tell you just how much they love Grimes.

I bet most of the people on Demonland like Grimes as a player too, but It doesn't mean that perceived weaknesses shouldn't be discussed.

In an earlier post in the thread you sarcastically suggested that perhaps Grimes should be dropped, despite the fact that no one's even hinted at that...and it's not like anyone's attacking the guy either.

I'm a fan, but it hasn't stopped me posting previously about the tendency to make some glaring kicking mistakes that stand out because he looks like a good user most of the time.

Grimes is top 5 at the club for kicks, marks and disposals. He has played 19 games.

If people can't program those facts into their brain before coming on here and talking about his sometimes poor disposal and decision making, then it is a poor reflection on their football analysis and not on Grimes.

I'm pretty sure you approached a discussion of a perceived weakness in another young player you liked with a similar response, so when do you think it is okay to talk about a perceived weakness?

(As an aside, I might be wrong, but I don't seem to recall you having a problem with pointing out weaknesses in players you're not so keen on, even if young.)

Isn't it a bit boring if posters can only be 'Monday experts', experts after the fact?

2) His decision making is fine, it is just that he likes to take a risk, and not just do the percentage play all the time

I don't think that's correct at all - certainly not in general, anyway.

The only trend I've noticed is that many of his kicking errors are made under relatively little pressure, which I find interesting.

I don't think it's a decision-making issue - he normally makes okay decisions but just fails to execute.

Is it a concentration thing? That would tie in with the idea someone floated that he isn't a naturally brilliant kick.

If that was the case it might explain why he tended to make errors more often than you'd expect when under relatively little pressure.

Jacks disposal on Friday night was pretty woeful. Low stab passes and ridiculous chips being either intercepted or resulting in an impossible contest where turnover is ineveitable.

I hope its only a shocker and not a habit forming here, I was face palming when he got hold of it the other night.

Is this part of the gameplan and poor execution or just brain explosions from Jack?

GG

I dont know what objective basis you have for this conclusion.

I was at the game too and I saw lots of players make fundamental mistakes in very difficult conditions.

I would wait to look at the stats for critical errors, clangers etc before passing judgement.

(As an aside, I might be wrong, but I don't seem to recall you having a problem with pointing out weaknesses in players you're not so keen on, even if young.)

Isn't it a bit boring if posters can only be 'Monday experts', experts after the fact?

It is OK to raise these issues, and there is no denying Jack does make mistakes by foot sometimes, but I think it is far too early to be worried about these things.

Oh and please show me an example of where I criticised anyone who has played 19 games, please.

All young players have areas for improvement. That's why experience is so vital, but for 3 weeks in a row now we've had a few posters jumping on his back to suggest that he should improve. Of course he should improve, and he will.

Ugh, why are you even bothering wasting your time picking an argument with me when you know full well that some of the stuff that gets mentioned here about young players is completely stupid?!

Haven't you got anything better to discuss?

And btw, there was nothing "woeful" about Grimes' disposal on Friday night. Given the conditions, I thought he handled the ball well. And this is my issue with this thread, little mistakes being blown out of all proportion with kids who should be struggling to get a kick, but instead are racking up 30 disposals a game!

Edited by Jaded

Pros stats says Grimes had 4 critical errors c/f with Skully 7, Sylvia 4, Bate 4, Warnock 3. http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/game_stats?mid=2010049

In the case of Grimes, Bate and Skully I suggest that the more you get the ball the more likely you are to have a proportion result in a critical errors. Conversely if you arent near the ball much its hard to make a mistake. He who never tried never failed. I thought Grimes with 28 possession (top 4) was one of our best. I dont argue for a moment that he cant improve his kicking.

I thought misses from Dunne, dropped marks from Rivers, a slow night from Sylvia (by his Olympian standards) and 0.6 in the first quarter together with poise from the dogs at the end were the more significant contributors to our loss.

This is a ridiculous thread.

For goodness sake, he hasn't played 20 games yet ... so he miscued a couple of kicks with the wet ball!

It is very naive to question Jack's decision-making ability. Yes he does take risks with his kicking trying to switch or set up attacks - that is his job! The fact that he doesn't always take the safest option doesn't make him a poor decision-maker. No risk: no reward!!

Generally he is brilliant kick under pressure with both feet - and he will get better

Give him some credit - for the major role he is playing in driving us off the bottom of the ladder ( and ensuring that we play an attractive brand of attacking football!)

Armchair Experts - JG is a kid in essentially his first full year.

Get a hold of the video from Friday and watch his one handed pick up and sprint away, watch how he always finds space to aid in defence, his ability to win contested ball and his execution by hand, then get a hold of yourselves.

i think the weather was terrible and everyones disposal was terrible, i reckon its a bit rough to single jack out, scully had 8 clangers 5 more then jack and i reckon he had a fair game...

This is why stats can be rubbish.

Scully did not have 8 clangers.

Several times Scully kicked it to the best option but his target didn't have the game sense to run into the space Scully was kicking it to, ie Scully's football brain was moving to quick for his own teammates. What looked like obvious turnovers was often Scully being made to look bad by his teammates not running to the right space or in some cases simply standing flat footed waiting for the ball to come to them. This will change in time when our players have had more experience playing together & a couple of our softer players get weeded out.

And I forgot to mention that yes Grimsey's game was excellent on Friday night, his disposal was below average but so was everyones.

Edited by torpedo

Something is terribly wrong with the universe. I did exactly the same thing. And saw i exactly the same way. I actually have no problem with JCB, unlike some others, so I was kind of giving Grimes' game a look without the rose coloured glasses. And I STILL couldn't find anything to complain about. Aussie Rules is a game of mistakes and unpredictability. You can't hang a player, ANY player, young or old, for a couple of mistakes. And that's what's happening here. That and the fact Jack is actually trying to play an error free game every time he goes out there. He deserves a pat on the back.

I don't- however I just wish these posters were around last week as they are so so correct in their analysis..Grimes will be an elite player but his decision making is sometimes poor.Also his kicking at times has let him down.RR ,I also watched the game and then watched the replay- Grimes cost us 2 goals.Simple as that-anyhow thought we are allowed our opinions.

Let it go JCB. You're flogging a dead horse here. Quit while you're miles behind.

If anything, Grimes is too good a decision maker and kick. He will look, as Davey does and TJ did, at delivering passes

that are needle threading and opposition breaking and not what the mere mortal kicks in the AFL attempt.

Grimes was steady and balanced and played a great game on Friday night, if he makes a mistake he more the

makes up for it when his other forward thrusts charge through the opposition.

Indeed. As well as his efforts to lend support to his teammates a la Frawley & Warnock on Hall.

Unbelievable thread. Again.

I said we should drop him :rolleyes:

He has played 19 games FFS. What is wrong with Melbourne supporters?

They love being critical. It's a red & blue thing. ;)

A little bit off topic but how was Davey's pass off hbf to Green in the corridor in between about 3 Dogs?

It was almost as if he was taking the [censored] on a night like that. Extraordinary skills.

Genius.

This is a ridiculous thread.

For goodness sake, he hasn't played 20 games yet ... so he miscued a couple of kicks with the wet ball!

It is very naive to question Jack's decision-making ability. Yes he does take risks with his kicking trying to switch or set up attacks - that is his job! The fact that he doesn't always take the safest option doesn't make him a poor decision-maker. No risk: no reward!!

Generally he is brilliant kick under pressure with both feet - and he will get better

Give him some credit - for the major role he is playing in driving us off the bottom of the ladder ( and ensuring that we play an attractive brand of attacking football!)

Agreed hoopla.

Get a hold of the video from Friday and watch his one handed pick up and sprint away, watch how he always finds space to aid in defence, his ability to win contested ball and his execution by hand, then get a hold of yourselves.

Robbie would have been proud.

Let it go JCB. You're flogging a dead horse here. Quit while you're miles behind.

Indeed miles.

Hasn't been much talk of the pill resembling a bar of soap on Friday night. Plenty of mistakes. The elements were certainly trying and greasy.