• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

One of the better losses.

Dappa Dan

Malthouse is on the radio now saying that perhaps it wasn't that his side played badly in round 2, but that the kids at MFC are now being relied on by the older players to win the game. And they're doing it.

I started this thread to counter what will be the usual sook and whinge.

We were very, very good today, with basically 1, maybe 2 forwards in Bate and Hughes. Sylvia was smashed, and we missed Petterd, and obviously Jurrah.

We're coming off a 6 day break after playing at Etihad.

Scully 39 touches with 18 in the last quarter. Trengove 26. McKenzie 24. And that's just the first three that popped into my head.

All in all, yes the Dogs weren't too flash, and they made some VERY poor decisions. But by far the biggest story was how the demons played, in particular with only 2/3rds of the ground turning up today.

We're never going to win a flag this year, so the fact we lost will be forgotten VERY quickly. What's more important is, basically, everything else.

Well done dees.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Malthouse is on the radio now saying that perhaps it wasn't that his side played badly in round 2, but that the kids at MFC are now being relied on by the older players to win the game. And they're doing it.

We were very, very good today, with basically 1, maybe 2 forwards in Bate and Hughes. Sylvia was smashed, and we missed Petterd, and obviously Jurrah.

Scully 39 touches with 18 in the last quarter. Trengove 26. McKenzie 24. And that's just the first three that popped into my head.

All in all, yes the Dogs weren't too flash, and they made some VERY poor decisions. But by far the biggest story was how the demons played, in particular with only 2/3rds of the ground turning up today.

We're never going to win a flag this year, so the fact we lost will be forgotten VERY quickly. What's more important is, basically, everything else.

Well done dees.

Well done Dappa! Gutted tho!

Well done dees.

Thanks for the thread Dappa Dan.

100% agree. Missed the first half of the game as it started at 3:30am my time, but watched the live stream online from late in the 3rd.

For the most part of what I saw, we looked good. We ran well, and for each other, numbers at the contest. Didn't look like they were trying to play wet footy, which may have hurt them in the end.

I think not having a forward target was really what hurt us tonight, and what will hurt us in weeks to come. Even in teams that have multiple goal kickers, they seem to have a key forward that they can aim at.

Danny Hughes kicked A goal tonight, and the little I saw, he looks promising(?). I don't know if they'll use him in a KP, but he's a leading target from all accounts I've heard.

Can someone please answer me: what happened in the first quarter? Was it purely inaccuracy that left us goalless? Or was it pressure from the WB backline? 6 behinds isnt good enough. The boys seemed to be in it, except for the scoreboard.

Besides the aberration that was round one, which we'll put down to stage fright(?!) our losses have been 1pt, 26 and now 4. Yes they are losses, but as you said, we were never going to win a flag this year. And while "one of the better losses" is fine for us supporters to say, I think the boys really hurt after losses, and especially like tonight, and near enough is not good enough for them. I hope that they build on these, because IMO how they come back from losses is if not more important that how they come off the back of a win.

While disappointing (going to 4-3 and setting the bullies up for a 3-4 record would have been so sweet), there are promising signs, dee fans have a lot to look forward to in the future--the dark years are behind us!

PS. Malthouse is just NOW saying "maybe it wasn't his team that played badly?!" I find that arrogant and disrespectful. The Dees are coming...bring on Queens Birthday!

Edited by LayDEE

Well done dees.

good sides find a way to win...cats are a prime example

Guest hangon007

Can someone please answer me: what happened in the first quarter? Was it purely inaccuracy that left us goalless? Or was it pressure from the WB backline? 6 behinds isnt good enough. The boys seemed to be in it, except for the scoreboard.

IMHO ... over use of handball, experience which cant be under estimated in the conditions & one side took their chances the other just weren't allowed the extra time to settle hence appear to rush it. Well thats what I thought from the stand.

Fairly defamitory! A big shot at our older players. Whether true or not, stuff Malthouse.

This was not an honourable loss. That, I think, is the major point.

Over the past 10 or 12 years, even when MFC has been up the ladder, I have always kind of had a bad feeling, waiting for us to fall over.

I'm beginning to get the opposite; an expectation that we will not lie down.

IMHO ... over use of handball, experience which cant be under estimated in the conditions & one side took their chances the other just weren't allowed the extra time to settle hence appear to rush it. Well thats what I thought from the stand.

i thought we attacked hard but it took us to long to adjust to the conditions.

plus we seemed to pass it to people standing still all night....last week it was kicking into the man on the mark..this week we turned the ball over by passing to targets standing still...dogs read this all night

If we are on we can beat any team, I truly believe that, but we will have off days and make mistakes and concede a couple of quick goals and lose in the dying minutes of a game, and as Bailey said, we will learn from that and be better for it.

I have never been more confident of success, and it is a pleasure to go to the footy and watch us play. Our young players need to hold their head up high because they have brought something back to the MFC that has been lost for many years, fight. We FIGHT for the ball, and we fight out games and we have the talent to back it up.

We lost and I'm gutted, but we were phenomenal tonight in terrible conditions and with some terrible decisions being made against us. We are rising at a much quicker rate than I expected, so everything right now is a bonus.

Oh and errr... Scullgove :wub:

Guest Balls_Grinter_14

geez i am [censored] off. But hell proud of our boys.i hate umpires. Lets go out next week and smash the weagles. Go dees.

Bulldogs played very poorly. Were very flat as were Collingwood in Round 2.

It will be a new achievement when we beat a club that actually comes to play.

We did as well as we could have with 21 players (PJ is a witches hat) and no-forward line though.

i thought we attacked hard but it took us to long to adjust to the conditions.

plus we seemed to pass it to people standing still all night....last week it was kicking into the man on the mark..this week we turned the ball over by passing to targets standing still...dogs read this all night

Although it is dissappointing to lose, this was a good performance and shows incredible promise for the future. Don't forget we are virtually playing our second string forward line atthe moment.

For me, i'd like to make a couple of observations. Scully is another Judd, and Trengove another cousins (withouta

all the rest of the crap)

Jamie Bannel put to rest once and for all any doubt about his courage: he crashed the pack a number of times and that goal will rank as one of the goals of the year, not so much for the incredible kick but the crashing through the pack beforehand. I know the FD rank him very highly and I think we are beginning to see why. Much more promise IMO than either Jetta or Maric.

Our older brigade have got a new lease of life from the young guns: Green, Junior, Bruce (yes Bruce) were excellent tonight

we have a lot to look forward to

the decision to drop Joel Mac was the correct one.

Danny Hughes will be a serviceable replacement for Rickie Petterd for the rest of the year.

The demons will win 10 gamesfor theyear and finish 10th, and be regarded as the biggest improvers and the with the most potential.

If we are on we can beat any team, I truly believe that, but we will have off days and make mistakes and concede a couple of quick goals and lose in the dying minutes of a game, and as Bailey said, we will learn from that and be better for it.

I have never been more confident of success, and it is a pleasure to go to the footy and watch us play. Our young players need to hold their head up high because they have brought something back to the MFC that has been lost for many years, fight. We FIGHT for the ball, and we fight out games and we have the talent to back it up.

We lost and I'm gutted, but we were phenomenal tonight in terrible conditions and with some terrible decisions being made against us. We are rising at a much quicker rate than I expected, so everything right now is a bonus.

Oh and errr... Scullgove :wub:

agree 100%

3 votes for Scully come brownlow night. :wub:

Edited by Sturmmann

It will be a new achievement when we beat a club that actually comes to play.

We did as well as we could have with 21 players (PJ is a witches hat) and no-forward line though.

Why don't we deserve the credit?

Dogs and Pies weren't flat, they were pressured into making mistakes because we hunted them. Just like last week North hunted us and won.

We are actually not a bad team. I know it's hard to comprehend and I forget that sometimes, but we are in a much better position than a large majority of clubs because we have a lot of uncapped potential and talent.

When we can play on our terms, we are right up with in terms of ball movement. Imagine what a forwardline could do for us...:o

Of course I understand that we are a young, developing team etc. etc., as far as I am concerned no loss is acceptable. I don't care whether it is a 4 point or 400 point loss, but we need to get out of this idea of accepting mediocrity. We now have the correct mix of ingredients to become a great, powerhouse club again, but near enough can't be good enough.

Edited by Brettmcg

They should not have been flat after squibbing it against St Kilda. Dogs should have had the sting in the tail tonight. They were up by 14 points in soapy conditions.

Some credit should go to the opposition. We came back at them twice during the game.

Hated the result but there is alot to excited about with this squad.

Well done dees.

A very good post and a very important thing for all of us to remember. Our boys played like Demons tonight ( :) ) and very nearly got over the line despite the deck once again being stacked by the AFL and the umpiring department. I am truly angry over the crap that went on around this game, and a large part of this is that we played so well, pushed so hard, and truly deserved the win. Without a doubt the team deserve every bit of praise we can throw their way.

At the end of the day it will say we were beaten.

But isn't this what we were all craving at the beginning of the year - just to be competitive. I think that at the moment we are even ahead of where we all thought they would be. Just look at the supporters after the game. We may have not won the game on the records but we all know that we really did win the game - it was stolen from us but who cares. If we play like that every week we are winners compared to last year.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

But isn't this what we were all craving at the beginning of the year - just to be competitive. I think that at the moment we are even ahead of where we all thought they would be. Just look at the supporters after the game. We may have not won the game on the records but we all know that we really did win the game - it was stolen from us but who cares. If we play like that every week we are winners compared to last year.

Yes but it still isn't enough. Competitive is all good and well but having your guts ripped out by a plethora of bad umpiring is... well... I don't really have words. I am that angry that I think I should wait until tomorrow to post again.

Why don't we deserve the credit?

I couldn't agree more!

We've got such a talented group of players and they are playing a very exciting brand of footy.

They don't always get it right and we can't expect them to - they are still developing.

But, when they put in the hard yards, why can't we just give them credit where credit is due???

Melbourne supporters can sometimes be the team's own worst enemy...

A very good effort with no cigar.

A few players who have been given a fearful flogging on this forum from time to time were very good last night.

Bruce, Bate and Bennell.