Jack Watts

2014-Flag

If last week means against Coburg. He kicked 4 goals.

I think Dee-luded prefers us to refer to the MFC reserves as Casey... and yes Jack Watts kicked 4. Danny Hughes kicked 1 for Casey against Gold Coast the previous week to get his call up...

Edited by predman

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Dee-luded prefers us to refer to the MFC reserves as Casey... and yes Jack Watts kicked 4. Danny Hughes kicked 1 for Casey against Gold Coast the previous week to get his call up...

My apologies Dee-luded. I miss the VFL aswell!

100% behind the FD - happy to see either result (In or out), but I'll be pumped if we play him this week because the Casey game clashes with the Dees and I wouldnt be able to see it anyway.

I camped behind our fwd goals down at casey on the weekend and i love this blokes kicking action, every set shot looked exactly the same and was a perfect kick, two were just a little off target with a cross breeze.

When the FD is ready I am ready.

Go Dees - Go Jesus Jack.

I have been all for letting Wattsy get some form and find touch, i think its time, i heard bailey say his last couple weeks have been good, he needed to kick goals to compliment his game. well he has done that.

to be honest, i am not sure i can stand more watts speculation, if he does not play, then has a quiet match for Casey, we are back to square one.

Get him in, and end all the chat. The Kid deserves his shot!

Hughes had several games in Casey's best to get in - the same should apply to Watts. Its better that he is fully adjusted to playing at CHF full of confidence when he plays for the ones. Lets ignore the NN JW issue (one is playing for the firsts - not that well actually and one is developing) The long term development of our list is the thing.

Hey guys, first time poster here, but been reading the forum for a while.

I think Bailey's interview on SEN gives almost a guarantee that Danny Hughes will get another game given he actually said something along the lines of "it'll be great to see how he goes next week".

I'm not sure i'd like to see Dunn dropped. The guy has the most marks on our team for the season to date and is providing a consistent target across the half forward line. His disposal has been patchy, but he should have had at least 2 goals on the weekend (if that touched call in the 4th Q went our way), and he also did well in forcing the ball to the goal square in difficult conditions with a couple of other snaps towards goal.

Dunn also has a bit of mongrel in him, which this team needs. His mobility and height (he's 6'4")along with Bate's on the forward line is an asset to our team. He may not have kicked a bag of goals, but our forward line isn't set up like that anyway. We need multiple contributors each game to be competitive and he can at least be one of those.

I don't know who'd be dropped but i think Dunn has done enough to warrant another game. I wouldn't be surprised if a guy is dropped for Watts on the pure basis that he needs to be rested, just like we did with Jordie McKenzie.

I think Bailey's interview on SEN gives almost a guarantee that Danny Hughes will get another game given he actually said something along the lines of "it'll be great to see how he goes next week".

I'm not sure i'd like to see Dunn dropped. The guy has the most marks on our team for the season to date and is providing a consistent target across the half forward line. His disposal has been patchy, but he should have had at least 2 goals on the weekend (if that touched call in the 4th Q went our way), and he also did well in forcing the ball to the goal square in difficult conditions with a couple of other snaps towards goal.

Dunn also has a bit of mongrel in him, which this team needs. His mobility and height (he's 6'4")along with Bate's on the forward line is an asset to our team. He may not have kicked a bag of goals, but our forward line isn't set up like that anyway. We need multiple contributors each game to be competitive and he can at least be one of those.

I don't know who'd be dropped but i think Dunn has done enough to warrant another game. I wouldn't be surprised if a guy is dropped for Watts on the pure basis that he needs to be rested, just like we did with Jordie McKenzie.

Agreed pm24. Dunn should not be dropped, nor should Hughes. Simply the team would not be as good without Dunn in the team (some posters will disagree). This makes for a very interesting time come selection. Although I hear from inside the club Watts will play, my information has proven to be wrong before and can't be taken as 100%. Strong cases can be made for and against his selection...... but someone has to go.

Fair call. Good first post pm24.

Is that what we did? For certain?

I've not heard it confirmed anywhere, but I've also not heard anyone mention an injury.

I would be HUGELY surprised if they bring Watts in this week. They have tried to hose down all the media expectations and questions, so surely you cant expect them to bring him in for his first game when Nic Nat will be on the same park and there will be media there only to cover comparison between the two.

Who knows? They may surprise and bring him in just to make the point that you cant compare them but I doubt it.

I want to see him in ASAP....if he can get involved in some small way initially as well as become part of the start of a new winning culture, surely this has more benefit than having him kick 4-5 down at Casey?

As someone else has advised, initially the strong defenders will gravitate to him just because of him being No 1 pick, this will free up others, if he is less threatening in his first 10 or so games, the 2nd or 3rd best defender may start to take him which in turn could free him up a bit.

We are looking good in many areas...549 points against...the 2nd best in the league currently shows what any decent demon supporter should have been seeing for the last 12 mths which is our backline is first rate and will only get better, this is where the best teams start from and we are looking great in this area. The midfield has gone to another level with the inclusion of Skull and JT, the trade of Brock has worked a treat even without the inclusion yet of Gysberts because Jones and Moloney have improved (Brock has NOT!!) and we were never going to be able to have Joney, Beamer & Brock in the same side. Add to that Jordie Mac who has been awesome (and was missed against Nth)and even Junior Mac who looks like he could go onto 2011, Russian who is killing em, then look out for Morton to return, Gysberts, Blease etc etc and we are well equipped in this area.

The only ingredient to add to is the forward line, thats why I say put Watts in and give him some continuity in getting used to his teammates, he will be a lot better for it development wise and then from later in this year we see Wonna and Jurrah return to the forward line, hopefully Ricky P and Tapscott next year and together with Green, Bate and Sylvia the makings of a very strong forward line with many elements and X factors.

Play Jack....Play him now!!

I would be HUGELY surprised if they bring Watts in this week. They have tried to hose down all the media expectations and questions, so surely you cant expect them to bring him in for his first game when Nic Nat will be on the same park and there will be media there only to cover comparison between the two.

Who knows? They may surprise and bring him in just to make the point that you cant compare them but I doubt it.

I want to see him in ASAP....if he can get involved in some small way initially as well as become part of the start of a new winning culture, surely this has more benefit than having him kick 4-5 down at Casey?

As someone else has advised, initially the strong defenders will gravitate to him just because of him being No 1 pick, this will free up others, if he is less threatening in his first 10 or so games, the 2nd or 3rd best defender may start to take him which in turn could free him up a bit.

We are looking good in many areas...549 points against...the 2nd best in the league currently shows what any decent demon supporter should have been seeing for the last 12 mths which is our backline is first rate and will only get better, this is where the best teams start from and we are looking great in this area. The midfield has gone to another level with the inclusion of Skull and JT, the trade of Brock has worked a treat even without the inclusion yet of Gysberts because Jones and Moloney have improved (Brock has NOT!!) and we were never going to be able to have Joney, Beamer & Brock in the same side. Add to that Jordie Mac who has been awesome (and was missed against Nth)and even Junior Mac who looks like he could go onto 2011, Russian who is killing em, then look out for Morton to return, Gysberts, Blease etc etc and we are well equipped in this area.

The only ingredient to add to is the forward line, thats why I say put Watts in and give him some continuity in getting used to his teammates, he will be a lot better for it development wise and then from later in this year we see Wonna and Jurrah return to the forward line, hopefully Ricky P and Tapscott next year and together with Green, Bate and Sylvia the makings of a very strong forward line with many elements and X factors.

And I declined to mention Danny Hughes into that forward line mix who had a good debut in trying conditions....certainly looks good and another element!!

I think it irrelevant that NicNat is playing in (possibly) Jack's first game for the year, and I hope Bails and other selectors don't use this as a reason for or against his inclusion.

If he plays, no matter what his performance, expect a lot of questions to any Melbourne people on whole JW saga, followed by the same answer from all of them. Even Scully's rising star interview (MFC website) became somehow about Jack and the pressure he is aparently under. I'll be glad when Jack is performing so the media can move on and [censored] another "story" to death.

I'd be surprised if media expectations or pressure are a deciding factor for bringing Watts in.

It doesn't matter when he plays - the expectation and the focus will be there.

I'd rather give Jack an opportunity to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and prove his doubters wrong.

What better game to do that than against the Eagles?

I don't necessarily expect him to do that, but I'd be backing our players rather than worrying about how bad it could all go.

I reckon the last thing the Dees want is to fuel the Watts v NikNat debate.

I have noticed a few people taking this line. To me that is the "glass half empty" take on things. I would argue that the game against the Wet Toast is the perfect vehicle for his come back because:

1) we would probably be expected to outplay them and so he would be given plenty of service from the midfield, and

2) if JW can bag a few, it puts the whole NN v JW debate to bed.

Give him his chance at redemption I say!

I have noticed a few people taking this line. To me that is the "glass half empty" take on things. I would argue that the game against the Wet Toast is the perfect vehicle for his come back because:

1) we would probably be expected to outplay them and so he would be given plenty of service from the midfield, and

That's actually well put and a good argument for the positive!!

Is that what we did? For certain?

I've not heard it confirmed anywhere, but I've also not heard anyone mention an injury.

My understanding was that he was rested from the North Melb game due to general soreness.

This is also the reason that he didn't play for Casey that weekend. It was stated in the match report in the Herald Sun.

I've copied what it said below:

Scoreboard:

NORTH MELBOURNE 3.3 8.7 10.12 15.14 (104)

MELBOURNE 2.1 3.3 9.4 12.6 (78)

Goals: North Melbourne: D Hale 3 S Wright 3 D Wells 2 L Anthony 2 A Swallow B Harvey B Warren H McIntosh T Goldstein. Melbourne: B Green 4 R Petterd 2 C Bartram C Sylvia J Trengove L Dunn M Bate M Jamar.

Best: North Melbourne: A Swallow S Thompson M Firrito D Wells L Anthony L Adams B Rawlings. Melbourne: C Bruce B Green J Grimes L Dunn N Jones A Davey.

Injuries: North Melbourne: L Hansen (nose). Melbourne: R Petterd (shoulder) J McKenzie general soreness) replaced in selected side by J Rivers.

Guest DeesPower

I'd be surprised if media expectations or pressure are a deciding factor for bringing Watts in.

It doesn't matter when he plays - the expectation and the focus will be there.

I'd rather give Jack an opportunity to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and prove his doubters wrong.

What better game to do that than against the Eagles?

I don't necessarily expect him to do that, but I'd be backing our players rather than worrying about how bad it could all go.

In many ways this is a re-run of the Hodge-Judd speculation, after the Hawks chose Hodge before Judd seven or eight years ago. Does anyone now question that decision? They won't question Jack Watts in future either

Well this will be interesting.

If Jack plays, you'd imagine Glass would go to him?

Worsfold says he will play with groin soreness

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/94115/default.aspx

Roughead just burnt him on the lead every single time in the last quarter on Saturday.

Good opportunity for Jack here.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

I don't buy into the whole debate. JW will be what JW will be and if he is ready to play then we should play him.

You guys should check out Dean Bailey's podcast on SEN from the Saturday 8/05/2010. He was asked if Jack Watts will ever be a power forward, and bailey basically went on to say the same thing that Mighty Demon just said. Jack will be what Jack is...highlighting his speed, mobility, agility etc etc.