• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

SUNFLOWERS

Demonland

SUNFLOWERS by Whispering Jack

Those final ten seconds seemed to last forever. Melbourne trailled by one point as Rohan Bail gained possession near the fifty metre line. His left foot kick appeared set to score but then it started to fall short towards the outstretched hands of Ricky Petterd. Time froze, the ball caressed his fingertips and then fell to the ground.

The siren sounded and Petterd slammed his hands into the ground, his near perfect game marred by the knowledge that his team would have almost certainly won the match had the ball stuck in his hands. It's such a cruel game this football caper!

We never considered the possibility of a close contest when we arrived for the game. You know all about young teams with their tendency towards providing inconsistent performances but this result was way beyond our expectations and yet the sorry realisation of what had taken place hit the senses like a sledghammer. After a whole season of indifference to defeat, the one-point loss at the hands of the old enemy Collingwood was gutwrenching.

That's how it should be when you lose and the hurt on the faces of the players as they trudged off the ground told the story. After 100 minutes or so of application and intense pressure they knew now exactly what had to be done to win a game - a poofteenth more than what they did today.

On the other hand, the fact that this group gave away so much in experience to one of the competition's leading teams, a regular finallist and a premiership contender, and was in the game until its dying seconds, is significant. It tells us that the team is regaining its self-belief.

After last week's soul destroying humiliation at the hands of Hawthorn, Melbourne coach Dean Bailey was staring down at a blank canvas. The critics were clamouring that there was nothing there; that he and his players were heading for a bleak future. The picture is now more than somewhat brighter and the coach's vision is no longer dark but rather alive with vibrant colour because he knows that they really can compete.

Despite Petterd's late missed mark, he was the game's best forward line player. He thrashed Collingwood defender Heath Shaw and his four goals was a great reward for a stunning performance on a Demon forward line badly weakened by injuries and loss of form. 

Elevated rookie Jordie McKenzie was outstanding again in only his fifth game for the club. His persistence, his creativity and his strong tackling were all exceptional.

Brad Green followed up last week's courageous display with three second-half goals in his 200th game. He marshalled the forward line and played a major role in ensuring that the team would not wilt under Collingwood's pressure. In the end, it was Green who passionately addressed the young team before they fittingly carried him from the ground.

However, the hero was ruckman Mark Jamar who single-handedly controlled the rucks and helped generate some much needed onball drive that has been missing for so long from the club's midfield. Years ago, in his early days at the club, Jamar was third fiddle to Jeff White and today's main opponent Darren Jolly who left the club and achieved premiership glory in Sydney. Today, he not only beat his old teammate but he also held sway against Josh Fraser who humbled the Demons on both occassions when they met last year. It's just a pity that his running shot for goal from ten metres out late in the second term missed everything.

Melbourne's defence continues to gain in stature. James Frawley has good pace and can take on the talls and the smalls. He disposed of the dangerous Medhurst and provided his team with great run out of defence. Matthew Warnock was also steady and rock solid. And it's hard to believe that Jack Grimes was only playing his 14th game. He kept Alan Didak in check for most of the game and was creative in turning defence into attack. Aaron Davey returned to game after a poor opening game and showed that his old zest and zip was back as he constantly ran through the lines. Skipper James McDonald led from the front.

Mention should be made of the fact that the Demons had four second game players in Rohan Bail, Tom Scully, James Strauss and Jack Trengove. They all contributed without being outstanding but what an experience it must have been for them to take part in a pressure cooker game in front of in excess of 50,000 people?

There was plenty to like about the way Melbourne played and credit must go to coach Dean Bailey who kept his cool during the week despite being tormented by some in the media and many disaffected Demon supporters. Most of what he did today worked although he will no doubt be looking at ways to ensure that his charges keep up the pressure for the full four quarters. Lapses in the latter part of the third and final quarters proved costly today with the Magpies kicking the last two of each term.

However, at least Bailey now has the opportunity to turn that blank canvas he faced last week in a blaze of colour.  The flowers are beginning to bloom.

Melbourne 4.5.29 6.6.42 9.11.65 12.13.85

Collingwood 2.2.14 7.5.47 10.10.70 12.14.86

Goals

Melbourne Petterd 4 Green 3 Dunn 2 Bail Bennell Newton

CollingwoodAnthony Davis Lockyer Pendlebury 2 Beams Cloke Fraser Medhurst

Best

Melbourne Jamar Petterd Grimes Davey McKenzie McDonald Frawley

Collingwood Pendlebury Beams Lockyer Thomas O'Brien Sidebottom

Injuries

Melbourne Nil

Collingwood Johnson (knee)

Reports

Melbourne Nil

Collingwood Nil

Changes

Melbourne Jake Spencer (hip flexor) replaced by Clint Bartram

Collingwood Shane O'Bree (virus) replaced by Dayne Beams

Umpires Hay Jeffery Wenn

Crowd 50,421 at the MCG

I am gutted that we did not defeat collingwood, however, i could not be more happy. The overall performance from the side today was AFL level, passing, intensity, tackling, this is the standard at which we now have to measure ourselves. We have come within a point of a top 4 side, and this performance today, repeated week in week out, is enough to beat most sides in the league. The only critcism is that we need to convert dominant patches into scoreboard numbers. But this will come with confidence

I hurt right now, hurt a freaking lot......

Been a long time since I have really hurt after a game.

Usually I am just angry.

Today I hurt...

Today I'm happy to be hurting instead of angry.

Well done boys, great effort, feel the hurt, use the hurt.

This feels worse than the 2000 Grand Final.

And Im not even kidding.

But my goodness, do we have some good times on the way.

Add Sylvia, Jurrah and Morton to todays team and we win by 14 goals.

Edited by Yze_Magic

Awful feeling when that final siren went. Just awful.

But on the whole just bloody stoked with Melbourne's effort today. A couple of errors here and there (not to mention the maggots) cost us, but we were the better team on the day.

Whilst Jamar and Petterd were our best 2, it was Aaron Davey who I was most delighted by today. Just unstoppable in that form, if he finds some more consistency then Mike will be putting him in his Top 20 before long.

And our young guys were fantastic. Really impressed with Jordie McKenzie... no wonder Neil Craig went after him so hard! Also I think Rohan Bail could turn out to be a keeper, his efforts were great today. Scullgove were OK, when you remember that their only 18 years old it just makes you smile. Not convinced with Strauss yet, but he will get there.

All can hold their heads up high except Bennell who just needs to get harder and Bate who was awful at times.

Crows, Tiges and Lions to come at the G. If we play like we did today then there's no reason why we can't be 3-2.

Jamar was fantastic today, he's my tip for the Bluey this year and as I said preseason will be in the top 5 rucks in the league by seasons end. He absolutely pantsed Jolly and Fraser today. His follow up work at ground level after the bounce is the best in the league right now.

Jordie Mckenzie is right up there with our best recruiting gets of the last 10 years. This kid will be a walk up start in our midfield for years to come. 23 tackles in 2 rounds is amazing for a bloke still on the rookie list and with 5 games beside his name. Keep up the great work Jordie

Was just reading through the game thread at bigfooty. We won back alot of respect from the football community today. Every non-Collingwood fan in agreement that the MFC was robbed of a win by the maggots.

Massive props to Rohan Bail.

His first AFL game, in front of 60,000 vs the Pies and he looked great.

WHich blew me away cos he was a turnover machine at Casey.

Same goes for McKenzie who looks like a real find.

great game if we play like that week in week out we will win more than we lose just remember the press were talking up collingwood as prem favs well up here they were i think the good times are comming a ol sooner that a lot of us think. on to the crows next week then the tigers and the lions could well be 3-2 afer five

Yeah I`m hurt, but I`m filled with immense pride. Can`t remember ever feeling so proud after a loss. They were near full strength bar Presty, we have at least 4 or 5 best 22 on the sidelines.

We earnt massive respect today!

Edited by Hell Bent

Massive props to Rohan Bail.

His first AFL game, in front of 60,000 vs the Pies and he looked great.

WHich blew me away cos he was a turnover machine at Casey.

Same goes for McKenzie who looks like a real find.

Technically it was Bail's second game, but the first lasted about 10 seconds.

But you're right on both counts (surprisingly). Both look like they might be finds. McKenzie especially.

Very proud of the boys today.

Petterd killed em today and made Shaw look 2nd rate... if he holds onto that 2nd grab in the goal square he wins the game and takes the 3 votes... he still may. Super impressed with Bail in technically his 1st game... hard at it and very nice kick... his last kick on the left carries another 5 yards and we at least draw possibly win. Its a cruel game coz we were the better side all day & Maxwell basically admitted that after the game.

PS. Jamar toweled Jolly and Fraser up today

That is the first time I have felt nervous at a game since the Jordan MacMahon kick last year. It was great.

So proud of the team. They (and Dean Bailey) have delivered exactly what I've (and others) been spouting off about for a week - a Q1 win, in touch at half time, and leading forwards presenting to the ball carrier. We had way less of the cyclical handballing this week and I believe it was a result of players presenting. Also, we seemed more confident to kick to one-on-ones this week when we had to. Still maintained possession where possible by kicking to players on their own, but just far less hesitation to kick to contests where the better option wasn't there.

While I feel like sitting here and listing how great each and every player was, I'll limit my rant to one player.

This player wasn't the best on ground, but he was one of them. Rohan Bail. It's hard to believe it was his first game today (bar ten seconds last year). Hard at the ball, read the play well and disposed of the ball well. Outstanding.

Edited by Barry Dawson

We still have Sylvia, Jurrah, Morton, Watts, Garland, Rivers, Wonna, Blease, Tapscott and Gysberts to come into the side!!

And Collingwood has just O'Bree.

That's where the optimism comes from.

Saw Tapscott and Watts walking out after the game. Watts look bigger (hard to tell in a suit though), Tapscott is massive. Both were walking without noticeable limps.

They showed today that the application, ball movement and skills are there. The important part is how they front up next week. It was just enjoyable to go to the footy today and care about winning. Its been a while and as much as it hurt I forgot what it is like to care about winning.

Edited by big_red_fire_engine

Today we:

Lead the Inside 50 count: 53 - 50,

won the 1st quarter 29 -12,

had a slightly higher disposal efficiency: 70.81% to 70%,

won the center clearances 35 -30,

matched em in the contested possies 119 120,

and where possibly the better team against a Collingwood outfit that despite playing well below their best today, are still a potential top 4 side.

What sucked so much about last weeks loss, was that there was no signs of improvement. Today showed the complete opposite.

Very quick turnaround, but I now have a lot more faith in DB. Melbourne got smashed in all the areas mentioned above last year...