colin sylvia bump footage

Green Machine

they showed the bump on colin sylvia on footy classified last night, but my brother changed the channel. Does anyone no where the footage is?

About 14 billion kilometers away and traveling at the speed of light.

they showed the bump on colin sylvia on footy classified last night, but my brother changed the channel. Does anyone no where the footage is?

Having now seen the vision, I can understand why the footy department is seething that Kennedy got off. I am sure I saw his elbow raised and he came from the side and broke a guy's jaw who was 10 metres from the ball. End of story. High contact, heavy impact, deliberate bump not an accidental bump = suspension.

Having now seen the vision, I can understand why the footy department is seething that Kennedy got off. I am sure I saw his elbow raised and he came from the side and broke a guy's jaw who was 10 metres from the ball. End of story. High contact, heavy impact, deliberate bump not an accidental bump = suspension.

Spot on.

This sport is fast becoming a joke.

Willy nilly rules and rule changes, appalling umpiring, the tribunal has always been inconsistent but the last 2 years it's 'avvin a laugh. The new teams and their draft concessions... It's just one questionable event after another.

a couple of weeks should have been the penalty...AFL you are a joke

As I saw it last night, Sylvia had just eased off 2-3metres behind the ball carrier before contact was made. Kennedy came in from the side, (slightly from the front - not behind) ~ half a shirt front IMO.

I agree that from what I could see it was heavy impact, definitely intentional and reckless/almost unnecessary as Sylvia had eased giving chase and high contact was made with Kennedy's shoulder from what I could see. Not sure about the raised elbow ? Still it resulted in a broken jaw.

3-4 weeks should have sufficed.

Not that I think it matters but I don't think Sylvia had given up the chase at all. Perhaps the MRP viewed that as necessitating the bump - which was high and in my view also a shirt front which I thought had been outlawed. All for bumping in the sheppard but you shouldn't just be an open target. There's another thread on this "our questions will be answered." Perhaps the two should be merged?

I saw it at the time (although I was more focused on watching the ball) and it wasn't malicious.

My issue is the total backflip the AFL have done with regards to head high contact. The Kosi hit on the weekend looked very similar to the Long hit in the 2000 Grand Final and Kosi only got three weeks! He should have got eight.

Edited by Clint Bizkit

I saw it at the time (although I was more focused on watching the ball) and it wasn't malicious.

My issue is the total backflip the AFL have done with regards to head high contact. The Kosi hit on the weekend looked very similar to the Long hit in the 200 Grand Final and Kosi only got three weeks! He should have got eight.

Agreed

If you injure a player, accidental or not you should be penalized or suspended

While I partially agree with this, it's a bit unfair to say penalize anyone who injurs someone. Are you saying that Gardiner should have been rubbed out for knocking out Harry Taylor last year when he took 'that' mark last year?

Edited by the_russian

As a few posters have mentioned Col was easing off the chase when Kennedy got him. It would have been perfect bump if Kennedy was not taller than Col. Kennedy's shoulder collected him flush on the jaw and as Col was easing off he had his head held high thus the shoulder collecting it. If it was consistant rulings then Kennedy would have got weeks.

Also I can not fathom how David Hille did not get weeks for his bump on Bartel. High, Late, Deliberate but no for some reasn he gets off, it is such a grey area.

Also I can not fathom how David Hille did not get weeks for his bump on Bartel. High, Late, Deliberate but no for some reasn he gets off, it is such a grey area.

Apparently they believed it was a genuine attempt to mark. I can't agree, I certainly never tried to take a chest mark by turning my body and dropping my shoulder. Clear-cut charge to me.

Not that I think it matters but I don't think Sylvia had given up the chase at all.

What I meant is that he took his foot off the accelerator (ie.gave up the pursuit), knowing the West Coast player was about to kick. Mind you this occurred just prior to the bump. Kennedy had already committed himself to making contact. It's just a small observation, but one that Kennedy might have noticed too.

Apparently they believed it was a genuine attempt to mark. I can't agree, I certainly never tried to take a chest mark by turning my body and dropping my shoulder. Clear-cut charge to me.

Ha that is very amusing. As you said he left his feet before the ball got there (if my recollection is correct) then turn his shoulder as hard as he could into Bartel's head....

Chairman of the MRP - Mark Fraser (ex Essendon player).

Ah old Fraser, one of the softest players I have seen. Didn't he try out as an umpire as well?

A Demonology poster just reminded me of the Moloney suspension a few years ago. Beamer got 3 weeks I think for not making contact with a bump. The fact that no contact was made was declared irrelevant as the player fell over in trying to avoid the bump, which he did. Here we have a broken jaw 10 metres off the ball. Work that out.

While I too was not impressed that this bloke got off this charge, I think it was more out of frustration at losing a better player through injury, rather than the actual incident.

After seeing the footage on On The Couch, I am not at all surprised he got off. I personally don't believe Sylvia was backing off. The Eagles guy hadn't got rid of the ball, was running in to goals, and people are saying Sylvia (when 2-3 metres behind him) stopped chasing? The bump happened well within an area where anyone would lay a bump to protect the ball carrier, and let' face it, when these guys are running as quick as they do, there is only a split-second to make a decision.

It was unlucky for Sylvia, but going by the footage that showed the incident, I will agree with the OTC panel and say that the available footage was inconclusive.

A Demonology poster just reminded me of the Moloney suspension a few years ago. Beamer got 3 weeks I think for not making contact with a bump. The fact that no contact was made was declared irrelevant as the player fell over in trying to avoid the bump, which he did. Here we have a broken jaw 10 metres off the ball. Work that out.

That's Right!! Night Game against Geelong??? I can see it..Worth a call into SEN that one.

Stir the Pot-The AFL got it wrong-same with David Hille absolute Hypocrisy.

That's Right!! Night Game against Geelong??? I can see it..Worth a call into SEN that one.

Stir the Pot-The AFL got it wrong-same with David Hille absolute Hypocrisy.

It was, and let's face it, Moloney has been sh!t scared to throw his weight around since. That had a very big impact on his career.

Just like the game against the saints when Bruce broke his collarbone thanks to Guerra. Been soft as hell since.

and people are saying Sylvia (when 2-3 metres behind him) stopped chasing?

He eased off just prior to contact, realising he wasn't going to reach the ball carrier as the ball carrier was about to dispose of the ball. He didn't stop literally chasing - as you've interpreted it.

i guess noone has the footage then ?

the AFL has lost its marbles in regards to bumps and suspensions

nobody knows where they stand...

(did anyone see the front on contact on joel macdonald last week when he had his head over the ball?)

this would have been atleast a reprimant last year! p.s we didnt even get a free kick for it

While I too was not impressed that this bloke got off this charge, I think it was more out of frustration at losing a better player through injury, rather than the actual incident.

After seeing the footage on On The Couch, I am not at all surprised he got off. I personally don't believe Sylvia was backing off. The Eagles guy hadn't got rid of the ball, was running in to goals, and people are saying Sylvia (when 2-3 metres behind him) stopped chasing? The bump happened well within an area where anyone would lay a bump to protect the ball carrier, and let' face it, when these guys are running as quick as they do, there is only a split-second to make a decision.

It was unlucky for Sylvia, but going by the footage that showed the incident, I will agree with the OTC panel and say that the available footage was inconclusive.

You are wrong. Sylvia had clearly gotten rid of the ball.