• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Mike Sheahans Top 50 Players

jnrmac

This is Sheahan we are talking about here, remember???

Jamar - for sure!

Frawley - possibly (SHOULD be in the Top 50 for sure but is underrated I feel).

Green - possibly (50+ goals in Season 2010).

Sylvia - no (inconsistency in Season 2010 plus injured a fair bit).

Davey - no (has fallen away from last year).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest David Brent

I would even argue Barry Hall should not be there based on his last season yet he's ahead of Aaron Davey.

Would you like to reconsider that comment?

You mentioned 100-150, read 45HG16's post WYL. You cannot edit your reply in his post (post#8); unlike your post No.7 which you have just edited to suit yourself !

Poor form champ.

Didn't read this thread at the time - but how about WYL editing his post a day later in an attempt to cover up his blatant self-contradiction? Classic.

If every side was represented evenly they'd have less than 4 players in the top 50, and one would think that the better sides will be better represented than the poorer sides. Based on all that, I'd say us naming four of our own would be totally unreasonable. We'd be entitled to two at the most.

I'd say Sylvia and Green would be our best shots at the top 50.

Jamar - Yes

Frawley - Borderline, should be yes, but wouldn't be surprised if he isn't

Green - see Frawley

Sylvia - No

But, it does prove what I was arguing about when this thread did the rounds earlier this year - back then we would have struggled to have a player in the top 100, but now, I htink we would have quite a lot of players in the 50-100 range, but still only 1 or 2 that might make the top 50.

It's been a great development year, 2010, the big test now is to see how many of those top 50-100 players can take the next step and crack the top 50. I would think that season 2012 would see us having 4 or 5 blokes, maybe a couple more, in the top 50.

Jamar - Yes

Frawley - Borderline, should be yes, but wouldn't be surprised if he isn't

Green - see Frawley

Sylvia - No

But, it does prove what I was arguing about when this thread did the rounds earlier this year - back then we would have struggled to have a player in the top 100, but now, I htink we would have quite a lot of players in the 50-100 range, but still only 1 or 2 that might make the top 50.

It's been a great development year, 2010, the big test now is to see how many of those top 50-100 players can take the next step and crack the top 50. I would think that season 2012 would see us having 4 or 5 blokes, maybe a couple more, in the top 50.

I would expect Frawley and Jamar to be in with Green a chance to sneak in. If Sylvia played all season like he has the last 3 weeks he would be in the top 10.

If Frawley isn't in a top 50 list, no matter who the author of it, then the author is a f-wit of the first order, or just a total pillock. That man obliterated the media's darling of the moment today, and has perhaps not been beaten this year. Beaten Brown twice, everyone else too. He is the new Glen Jakovich. The irony will be, of course, that J. Riewoldt will probably get a guernsey in the top 50 and it'll be James Who?

Green is a must in any top 50. The others mentioned are borderline; Jamar should be in the side that doesn't play anybody, the absurd all-Australian, but not sure if he's a top 50.

I'll put Bruce's name forward as a defender of extreme excellence. Got a bagging for disposal at various times but is another one who is peerless at shutting down a dangerous opponent.

Jamar would not be in the top 50 players in the competition for mine. Most teams will have at least three midfielders who are better overall players than Jamar, heck we've probably got three in just our side alone. 3 x 16 = 48... he might slot in at 49 or 50 but I don't think so.

He's definitely in the top handful of ruckmen, but that doesn't equate to top overall. I don't actually think that many ruckmen would feature in the top 50 at all.

Lists are meant to be fun.

Lol! Good to have you on board Mike!!

In two years Frawley, Grimes, Davey, Sylvia, Scully, Trengove, Petterd, Watts & McKenzie all have potential to be on your list! Perhaps it would be a good idea to put together a crystal ball list.

We're 10th and we are commanding 4 positions in a top 50 list. Dream on.

Frawley...yes , and possibly Green and Jamar. Sylvia too inconsistent at this point.

Agreed.

A few ppl saying Jamar would be top 50, but I disagree.

He only is close to AA by virtue of the position he plays - in the ruck - and the general lack of truly skilled big men that can ruck.

Green and Frawley belong in the top 50, no doubt in my mind.

Sylvia has been to inconsistent, but belongs in the 2011 preseason top 50.

Edit: just saw Nasher's post. I agree re: Jamar.

Edited by E25

rubbish

Not rubbish at all. Sylvia yesterday wasn't very good at all. Certainly didn't play like a top 50 player.

Jamar would not be in the top 50 players in the competition for mine. Most teams will have at least three midfielders who are better overall players than Jamar, heck we've probably got three in just our side alone. 3 x 16 = 48... he might slot in at 49 or 50 but I don't think so.

He's definitely in the top handful of ruckmen, but that doesn't equate to top overall. I don't actually think that many ruckmen would feature in the top 50 at all.

Correct. He's the second or third best ruckman in the league, but that puts him behind at least 50 other midfielders, defenders, and forwards.

Sandilands would be a top 50 player. That's it for ruckmen though.

Edited by titan_uranus

Jamar, Green and Frawley are absolutely in the top 50 players in the league imo. All probably between 20-50 though.

I think Davey would be borderline. Could possibly sneak in from 40-50.

I think Sylvia, on his day, is certainly in the top 50. However, he only plays like that 50% of the time. If he played like that 100% of the time, well... he'd be like Hayes, who plays like Sylvia does, but does it each and every week. Until then, Sylvia sits outside the top 50. Regardless, it is great to have a 'weapon' like Sylvia who is a match-winner and can turn it on big time.

We really need to keep developing the youngsters and try to get 2-3 players in the top 20 in the league. Only then will we be a true premiership contender. The premiers always have at least 3 guys in the top few in the league. Scully, Trengove, Morton and Watts are our best bets

Didn't read this thread at the time - but how about WYL editing his post a day later in an attempt to cover up his blatant self-contradiction? Classic.

Hall of Fame nomination.

I'd say Sylvia and Green would be our best shots at the top 50.

Whilst I'd dearly like to agree with you on Sylvia, Nasher. I don't see him as an absolute monty. That's coming from someone who would love to see him in there. He has missed a fair bit of footy too. His best is very good though.

What about 'Sir James ?'

I regard Frawley as an elite player of the competition. He has had a fantastic season to date.

Agree on Green and I think Jamar might get in the top 50.

IMHO Brad Green is currently one of the 50 best players in the AFL and deserves to be in any such list. As for Frawley, he may be nudging top 50 this year but he has the potential to be top 15 in a year or three's time.

And IMHO Jack Grimes is also as close as one can get to top 50. And I base that on not just his football playing (game day) ability but on his general levelheadedness. Grimes, from what I have read and observed appears to be that relatively rare beast - a real leader of men. And that from a young man who is effectively in his second year of AFL level football with 26 games played.

IMHO Brad Green is currently one of the 50 best players in the AFL and deserves to be in any such list. As for Frawley, he may be nudging top 50 this year but he has the potential to be top 15 in a year or three's time.

And IMHO Jack Grimes is also as close as one can get to top 50. And I base that on not just his football playing (game day) ability but on his general levelheadedness. Grimes, from what I have read and observed appears to be that relatively rare beast - a real leader of men. And that from a young man who is effectively in his second year of AFL level football with 26 games played.

Well said Dee Dee, gee I miss watching him at the moment even considering how well we are going :(

This is Sheahan we are talking about here, remember???

Jamar - for sure!

Frawley - possibly (SHOULD be in the Top 50 for sure but is underrated I feel).

Green - possibly (50+ goals in Season 2010).

Sylvia - no (inconsistency in Season 2010 plus injured a fair bit).

Davey - no (has fallen away from last year).

Davey would certainly be in Mike Sheahan's top 50. I've got Davey in the top 4 in B&F at the moment. His game on the weekend was superb and showed why he is all class. his delivery is as good as goddard's. best kick in the comp.

Sylvia would be close, but has been a bit injured this year.

Jamar would now get in as he is arguably the best ruckman in the comp.

And Green would certainly be in there.

Green & Frawley should be top 25.

Behind Lake, Frawley is the in form defender in the comp at the moment.

League wide Rucks are a bit thin which may result in Jamar getting a gig, if he doesn't however i would be surprised to see another ruckman in the list.

Sylvia close but not quite, needs another big season. Davey's influence may have dropped a bit but this may be more due to the output of his team mates lifting as opposed to a drop in form.

Moloney has had a great season to date but probably won't make it.

Don't forget a number of players have had poor to middling years and will likely drop out leaving openings.

See: Cox, Kerr, O'Keefe, Morris, Fisher, Power, Fevola, Bolton, Enright, Jolly, Tippet, Higgins, Ryder, Vince, Murphy, Sewell.