Casey Scorpions v Northern Bullants

dee-luded

Just got home from casey.

From the Melbourne boys

Bate looked ok. Bigger and better than the defenders but not match fit yet.

Watts as said he kicked a goal but that was probably his only kick. Only played 1 and a half quarters. Not sure if injured.

Newton was newton. Prob kick 3 or so missed some easy ones. PLayed on a lesser opponent so bit disappointed.

Tmac was ok.

Hughes played on waite in the first and beat him. Quiet second qtr but was great in the second half.

Garland was good kicked a goal from a 50m penalty (one of ours but they got at least 6 or 7 50m penalties)

Healey not much.

Fitzpatrick looked pretty good, made a few errors but was around and will develop well.

Gysberts was hard to stand out as he looks similar to a lot of casey players so not sure.

Spencer didn't dominate and should b used as a last resort as he played on Neaves (former rookie for us)

THink thats most of them, as i Said Waite played a bit for them as Did marc Murphy.

Casey ended up winning by roughly 12-13 goals. Could have been many more if kicking was straight although the wind was horrible!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watts as said he kicked a goal but that was probably his only kick. Only played 1 and a half quarters. Not sure if injured.

Gysberts was hard to stand out as he looks similar to a lot of casey players so not sure.

Spencer didn't dominate and should b used as a last resort as he played on Neaves (former rookie for us)

I counted Watts with 3 kicks and 5 handballs. He did a couple of nice things, but not much. I was disappointed he didn't take a couple of marks he got his hands on, but his achilles heel is marking in one on one contests. He's fine on a lead, or coming over a pack, but poor one on one. He's definitely bulked up noticeably though. And it's his first hitout, so can't glean terribly much. A bit rusty. IMO, he needs a solid couple of months at Casey. I'd really make him earn a call up.

Gysberts got a fair bit of it. He got caught holding the ball a couple of times, but in the main was pretty good. Once he fills out he'll be a terric size for an inside mid.

Fitzpatrick and Spencer don't have vice like grips in marking contests unfortunately.

Wish I hadn't bothered turning up.

Edited by Oliver Hill

Watts- could you identify any kind of negative body language alluding to any kind of injury or was it more a case of being a little rusty and cautious? Did he at least seem up for it?

Garland- How much game time did he get and how did he look out there general? Itching to get back into the main team round 1? Does it look like he may be the bargain of the year for my supercoach team?

Spencer- Didn't dominate as in didn't tear the game apart, or didn't dominate as in nice way of saying was outplayed and doesn't look the goods? More info on Napolean Dynamite needed.

Garland played most of the game apart from a few rest on the bench. I was down the melbourne goals so didn't get a great look. But not far away from senior selection.

Not a Spencer fan, he doesn't do much around the ground. One time tonight when the other ruckman didn't go for the contest in the middle he jumped up and missed the ball entirely and fell to the ground. Looked very bad!!!

Garland played most of the game apart from a few rest on the bench. I was down the melbourne goals so didn't get a great look. But not far away from senior selection.

Not a Spencer fan, he doesn't do much around the ground. One time tonight when the other ruckman didn't go for the contest in the middle he jumped up and missed the ball entirely and fell to the ground. Looked very bad!!!

..and then while on the ground grabbed the ball and stopped it going anywhere. He is unco, but when he rucked for the whole 3rd and half the final quarter, Casey scored 10 goals straight!. He left the ground and they scored for the first time in 50 minutes of play.

I went and had a look. Watts didn't get near It In the first qtr but his second qtr was better. Did a few nice things but still needs to attack the footy harder.

Garland was solid without being great.

Bate got better as the game went on, not match fit yet but still may get a game next week considering we have no forward line.

Newton same old story, does ok at vfl level but that's about as far as he'll go.

Gysbets I like a lot, I think we could be onto something here.

Spencer I thought did well.

Rhys Healey, not sure why we kept him on the list, not sure how he made It on a list...

For whoever asked Watts wasn't injured, was always going to play a half.

I too ventured to the game. As per usual, it is always interesting to read what other people think, and how they viewed the game. I dont want to say anything negative about other peoples opinions, but I am surprised by some of them.

So here are my thoughts on the players.

Bate: Played a very impressive second half. Outmarked his opponent on a few times, and showed the difference between VFL players and AFL players. He kicked at least 3, should have kicked more as he missed a couple he would normally put through. He is lacking in atch fitness, but I think he i guaranteed a spot in Round 1. Put simply, we need him, as he is better than all the other forwards. He is a very solid build, and at times looks ungainly and slow, but he is extremely important to us, and he will be a dominant player for us when everyone is up and firing in a couple of years.

Newton: I was impressed with him tonight. Kicked a few, handed off a few with good pick ups and good hands. He battled hard and showed some good tackling and desperation. He also showed some good body language when he dropped a speccie, tackled an opponent, but was called for too high. He punched the ground in anger and was pretty annoyed. Just thought he showed a bit, that being said though, he should, as he is a very good VFL player.

Garland: He played down back, and showed he still has the ability to close down opponents and get his fist to the ball when most players would not. I was more impressed with his run and carry, as he got 2/3 possessions in one run of play on a few occassions. He set up wellfrom defense, and I would not be surprised if he got a game in the first round or two.

Spencer: Others did not think much, but I think he was very good. He dominated the ruck. He may have slipped up once, as stated by another poster, but other than that he and our midfielders dominated. He needs to improve his skills, but he has one hell of a dip. He is faster to dive on the ground than most midfielders and he got more touches today than usual.

Hughes: Thought he was great. Played up forward and on a wing, where he provided plenty of leads, marks and runs. If he can stay fit, I think he may well get a go some time this year, especially if we have more injuries.

Gysberts: He has great hands. He gave out 5/6 grat quick handpasses to get other players free. He also took them on a few times, got caught once or twice, but showed dash. He looks like he will be very good with more experience.

Watts: Only played half, and probably spent more time on the bench than the ground. He kicked a lovely goal (courtsey of my hand pass! when i returned the ball to him from on the full) He had a couple of really quick handballs to get out of trouble. Could not show much, but I am not worried. Give him time and he will be all we expect. (and he was not injured, had a chat to him, and he said it was all planned)

Fitzpatrick: Played forward, back and ruck. He took one nice pack mark. He got quite a few touches, but his kicking still needs plenty of work. He is an athlete, and should be given time to develop, but he does show promise.

McNamara: Did not notice him much. He took a few good marks, and then dropped some he should have marked. He too only played a half and is working his way back.

Healy: Did not see much of him. Played in defense most of the game but he did one nice piece of play. Ran hard with the flight, got smashed but got up to lay a tackle and then pick the ball up and dodge a player. Not sure of him, need to see more.

Casey look like they will be around the mark again. They have some good players on their list.

2 players I have not seen with them before were #6 (nicholls I think) and #19(not sure of his name) were very impressive. Both smaller players, but they dominated.

I think it should be another good year for Casey, as long as Melbourne players stay fit and we can provide them with some players.

I think that shows in your report.

I thought Spencer gave us first use at the center bounce after our goals, very important as we scrambled to win the ball out of the center.

He was instrumental for us during that 3rd Qtr onslaught.

But as you say, he needs to improve his around the ground GENERAL field play.

I too ventured to the game. As per usual, it is always interesting to read what other people think, and how they viewed the game. I dont want to say anything negative about other peoples opinions, but I am surprised by some of them.

So here are my thoughts on the players.

Bate: Played a very impressive second half. Outmarked his opponent on a few times, and showed the difference between VFL players and AFL players. He kicked at least 3, should have kicked more as he missed a couple he would normally put through. He is lacking in atch fitness, but I think he i guaranteed a spot in Round 1. Put simply, we need him, as he is better than all the other forwards. He is a very solid build, and at times looks ungainly and slow, but he is extremely important to us, and he will be a dominant player for us when everyone is up and firing in a couple of years.

Newton: I was impressed with him tonight. Kicked a few, handed off a few with good pick ups and good hands. He battled hard and showed some good tackling and desperation. He also showed some good body language when he dropped a speccie, tackled an opponent, but was called for too high. He punched the ground in anger and was pretty annoyed. Just thought he showed a bit, that being said though, he should, as he is a very good VFL player.

Garland: He played down back, and showed he still has the ability to close down opponents and get his fist to the ball when most players would not. I was more impressed with his run and carry, as he got 2/3 possessions in one run of play on a few occassions. He set up wellfrom defense, and I would not be surprised if he got a game in the first round or two.

Spencer: Others did not think much, but I think he was very good. He dominated the ruck. He may have slipped up once, as stated by another poster, but other than that he and our midfielders dominated. He needs to improve his skills, but he has one hell of a dip. He is faster to dive on the ground than most midfielders and he got more touches today than usual.

Hughes: Thought he was great. Played up forward and on a wing, where he provided plenty of leads, marks and runs. If he can stay fit, I think he may well get a go some time this year, especially if we have more injuries.

Gysberts: He has great hands. He gave out 5/6 grat quick handpasses to get other players free. He also took them on a few times, got caught once or twice, but showed dash. He looks like he will be very good with more experience.

Watts: Only played half, and probably spent more time on the bench than the ground. He kicked a lovely goal (courtsey of my hand pass! when i returned the ball to him from on the full) He had a couple of really quick handballs to get out of trouble. Could not show much, but I am not worried. Give him time and he will be all we expect. (and he was not injured, had a chat to him, and he said it was all planned)

Fitzpatrick: Played forward, back and ruck. He took one nice pack mark. He got quite a few touches, but his kicking still needs plenty of work. He is an athlete, and should be given time to develop, but he does show promise.

McNamara: Did not notice him much. He took a few good marks, and then dropped some he should have marked. He too only played a half and is working his way back.

Healy: Did not see much of him. Played in defense most of the game but he did one nice piece of play. Ran hard with the flight, got smashed but got up to lay a tackle and then pick the ball up and dodge a player. Not sure of him, need to see more.

Casey look like they will be around the mark again. They have some good players on their list.

2 players I have not seen with them before were #6 (nicholls I think) and #19(not sure of his name) were very impressive. Both smaller players, but they dominated.

I think it should be another good year for Casey, as long as Melbourne players stay fit and we can provide them with some players.

Newton was very good, especially in the 3rd we he won the ball in traffic forward a few times & gave little dish offs to Bater who finished the goals.

Bater was very good body on body & reading the flight running back to take a couple of nice marks in swirly conditions. Difficult kicking conditions friday night.

Hughes was good, needs to do more & consistantly.

Garland did a few nice little things, but I think he's a fair bit underdone.

For Casey McReadie I thought was very good, Matthews, Stockdale & quite a few others.

Unfortunately, yours truly is working tomorrow night. Anyone going down there ... a report would be most welcome.

Happy to oblige but apologies for the lateness of the hour.

A third quarter goal burst by the Casey Scorpions was enough to shrug off a determined Northern Bullants at Casey Fields yesterday evening. The Carlton affiliated Bullants had the advantage of the strong wind in the first term to hold a narrow lead at quarter time but the Scorpions took over in the second quarter and then blitzed in the third to run out easy winners in the end by 12 goals.

The AFL gave special permission to listed players on both sides to participate in what is officially a rest week leading into the AFL's opening round starting on Thursday night. Rookie listed players are also permitted to play.

The Bullants played Dennis Armfield, Marcus Davies, Sam Jacobs, Kane Lucas, Marc Murphy and Jarrad Waite. Although on the list, former Demon Chris Johnson was a no show. Most of the Carlton contingent appeared only in the first two quarters so it was hardly surprising that the Scorpions ran away from their opponents in the last half.

Casey got a bit more value from its Demon listed players with Matthew Bate and Colin Garland the standouts. Jack Watts looked a bit bigger than last year and put in a satisfactory performance in his first half of football playing mainly on a wing and kicking a nice goal from the boundary. However, he is still several weeks away from an AFL appearance and will need more time at this level. Tall midfield recruit Jordan Gysberts got a lot of the ball and did enough to suggest that a long AFL careeer awaits him.

With Melbourne light on for key position strength the selectors might well decide to go with the impressive Bate and defender Garland. Bate booted three goals in the third term while Garland was back to his very best in defence. Jake Spencer had his moments in the ruck and was assisted by the lightly built Jack Fitzpatrick.

Michael Newton worked hard at full forward and got his three goals but didn't impose himself on the game nearly enough. Danny Hughes had his moments but I'm not sure whether he can step up beyond VFL level while Tom McNamara and rookie Rhys Healey were quiet.

Scorpion skipper Kyle Matthews was in strong early season form along with Ben Macreadie and second year player Michael Stockdale. Among the recruits Danny Nicholls (ex-Collingwood) and Mitch Dowse (Gippsland Power) were busy on the night and will be great acquisitions for the team and key forward Luke McDonald from the Eastern Ranges was again impressive.

I counted Watts with 3 kicks and 5 handballs. He did a couple of nice things, but not much. I was disappointed he didn't take a couple of marks he got his hands on, but his achilles heel is marking in one on one contests. He's fine on a lead, or coming over a pack, but poor one on one. He's definitely bulked up noticeably though. And it's his first hitout, so can't glean terribly much. A bit rusty. IMO, he needs a solid couple of months at Casey. I'd really make him earn a call up.

Really? Why so? Was it THAT bad?

As for Watts, marking always seemed to be his strength. Is it his technique? Is he easy to spoil? Does he hear footsteps?

Gysberts got a fair bit of it. He got caught holding the ball a couple of times, but in the main was pretty good. Once he fills out he'll be a terric size for an inside mid.

Fitzpatrick and Spencer don't have vice like grips in marking contests unfortunately.

Thanks for the information guys, interesting to note that Watts got 3 kicks and 5 handballs on debut as well I remember

I don't suppose anyone noticed whether Brock McLean turned up to watch some of his new teammates in action?

What's that?

Oh ... strike that question. I should have realised the game was played at Casey Fields.

WJ?? Bitterness from you over McLean... I'm shocked.

I don't suppose anyone noticed whether Brock McLean turned up to watch some of his new teammates in action?

What's that?

Oh ... strike that question. I should have realised the game was played at Casey Fields.

He was there, but missed the majority of the game as he was doing burnouts in the carpark.

What's that?

I noticed someone in a ute stiring up the dirt road outside the ground.

What's that?

Wow.

That's, like, the nastiest thing WJ has ever posted I'm pretty sure.

Coming down to our level?

:D

Re Chris Johnson, I saw him play for the Bullants last week against Coburg. In a Bullants side that dominated the Tigers, he was very inconspicuous on the field. I'd say his absence from Friday night's game was because he is not in line for senior selection in round 1. Can't say I feel for him at all.

Re Chris Johnson, I saw him play for the Bullants last week against Coburg. In a Bullants side that dominated the Tigers, he was very inconspicuous on the field. I'd say his absence from Friday night's game was because he is not in line for senior selection in round 1. Can't say I feel for him at all.

Good old CJ. Did the right thing by Melbourne and saved us from having to contract and pay him for two or three years. The difference between us making a profit or a loss.

Good old CJ. Did the right thing by Melbourne and saved us from having to contract and pay him for two or three years. The difference between us making a profit or a loss.

To be fair, MFC offered him one year to prove himself. Blues offered him 2.

Maybe CJ did the right thing for himself and got an extra year in the AFL.

To be fair, MFC offered him one year to prove himself. Blues offered him 2.

Maybe CJ did the right thing for himself and got an extra year in the AFL.

Spot on Jacey, you can't blame a kid for trying to get the best contract for himself, especially when the writing was on the wall regarding the realities of a long career are coming to an end.