Jordie McKenzie

Jerry Lundergard

I was super impressed with Jordies work in the midfield yesterday, and would have him pushing for selection in the opening round of the season.

The Age referred to him as an upgraded rookie, does that mean he is ready to roll out? Or do we have to place someone on the long term IL? Or have i missed someone being on it already?

I was super impressed with Jordies work in the midfield yesterday, and would have him pushing for selection in the opening round of the season.

The Age referred to him as an upgraded rookie, does that mean he is ready to roll out? Or do we have to place someone on the long term IL? Or have i missed someone being on it already?

He would require someone to be put on the LTI. This has not happended yet to my knowledge. PJ, Meesen and Gawn would all be possible options. I would expect two of those will be moved on their before start of the season to allow both Jordie and jake to be upgraded for round 1.

http://www.melbourne...ie/default.aspx

He would require someone to be put on the LTI. This has not happended yet to my knowledge. PJ, Meesen and Gawn would all be possible options. I would expect two of those will be moved on their before start of the season to allow both Jordie and jake to be upgraded for round 1.

Putting Meesen on LTI list wont help us this year as he is a rookie now :)

But yes, for Jordie to play prior to round 11, we would need a LTI candidate.

Edited by Stylus

Not sure where I heard this (probably here somewhere) but I heard Gawn was going to be put on LTI so Spenccer can play.

Personally would prefer McKenzie, he could be a very good value pick, and one that I think would look better at AFL level.

Edited by JACKATTACK

Not sure where I heard this (probably here somewhere) but I heard Gawn was going to be put on LTI so Spenccer can play.

Personally would prefer McKenzie, he could be a very good value pick, and one that I think would look better at AFL level.

In an abstract sense, McKenzie is the one I would upgrade. However, with the fitness of Jamar, PJ and Meeson, Spencer must get the nod first.

In an abstract sense, McKenzie is the one I would upgrade. However, with the fitness of Jamar, PJ and Meeson, Spencer must get the nod first.

Exactly how I feel. I really want to see McKenzie get more time at AFL level, but we need Spencer on the senior list more than McKenzie at the moment. So if a spot opens up it should be Spencer who gets it.

Midway through the year there's the option of upgrading a rookie for the remainder of the year. You'd think one of Spencer or McKenzie would get that opportunity.

It's a pretty safe bet that both Spencer and Mckenzie will be playing seniors this year. Gawn can become a rookie and play with Casey. He needs at least a year, if not more to, get upto speed. Looking at Fitzpatrick I wouldn't be surprised if he was rookied as well. That's without any injuries. Hughes and Healey are half a chance as well. We have to see if they can play AFL and to do that we have to upgrade them. It would surprise me no end if Hughes remains on the list next year without a chance at AFL level. Mckenzie showed on Saturday that he has some talent and probably the desire to make it at AFL level. His efforts at winning the hard ball would not of gone unnoticed. I'm betting he's a fan of the coaches and I'd have him ahead of Bell, Bartram, Johnson and possibly Bail as playing for us next year.

I believe the rules changed last year to allow you to have a nominated rookie mid year that could play with out having someone go onto the LTI list. If the club wants to promote someone they will find a player to be placed on the LTI, there is always someone injured.

Gawn can become a rookie and play with Casey. He needs at least a year, if not more to, get upto speed. Looking at Fitzpatrick I wouldn't be surprised if he was rookied as well.

What are you talking about? You can't just arbitrarily rookie list players whenever you feel like it. Both Gawn and Fitzpatrick will remain on the senior list for the duration of the year, and the only thing that can change that is if one goes on the LTI.

It's a pretty safe bet that both Spencer and Mckenzie will be playing seniors this year. Gawn can become a rookie and play with Casey. He needs at least a year, if not more to, get upto speed. Looking at Fitzpatrick I wouldn't be surprised if he was rookied as well. That's without any injuries. Hughes and Healey are half a chance as well. We have to see if they can play AFL and to do that we have to upgrade them. It would surprise me no end if Hughes remains on the list next year without a chance at AFL level. Mckenzie showed on Saturday that he has some talent and probably the desire to make it at AFL level. His efforts at winning the hard ball would not of gone unnoticed. I'm betting he's a fan of the coaches and I'd have him ahead of Bell, Bartram, Johnson and possibly Bail as playing for us next year.

What you've said doesn't make any sense.

Players are not interchangeable between the 2 lists. You can't just drop a player from the senior list onto the rookie list.

A player must be put on the Long Term Injury list to be replaced on the senior list, which prevents them from playing. That player then remains on the senior list but are inactive; they do not drop onto the rookie list.

Edit: what Nasher said.

Edited by Keyser Söze

What are you talking about? You can't just arbitrarily rookie list players whenever you feel like it. Both Gawn and Fitzpatrick will remain on the senior list for the duration of the year, and the only thing that can change that is if one goes on the LTI.

Gawn's recovering from a knee reco so I presumed he was injured. Fritzpatrick and Mckenzie/Spencer can swap at round 11. So I ask you the question. What are you talking about?

Gawn's recovering from a knee reco so I presumed he was injured. Fritzpatrick and Mckenzie/Spencer can swap at round 11. So I ask you the question. What are you talking about?

They don't "swap". Gawn, even if he is LTI, remains on the senior list. He has a 2-year contract like all draftees.

McKenzie or Spencer can play if they are either: a. replacing an LTI player, or b. nominated to play after Round 11. They still remain as rookies until upgraded, which would happen at the end of 2010.

An upgraded rookie can now also be counted as one of your three compulsory list changes. So if we decided to upgrade both McKenzie and Spencer at the end of Season 2010, theoretically we only have to pick one player in the draft.

In Gawn's case, that isn't "becoming a rookie", which is what you said (quote), it's going on the long term injury list. Additionally, you said he could play at Casey, implying that he wasn't injured. In Fitzpatrick's case, they do not "swap" at round 11. He remains on the senior list, we're just allowed to promote one of the rookies. The latter transaction doesn't involve Fitzpatrick at all. In neither case does any player on the senior list "become a rookie", which is what you said in your post (twice).

You made it sound like you could add and remove people from the rookie list whenever you felt like it, which is clearly not the case.

What he's talking about is you arbitrarily assigning both Gawn and Fitpatrick to the rookie list. It can't be done. Yes Gawn can go on the LTI list, which would allow the promotion of a rookie, but that does not mean that he is then placed on the rookie list. Likewise, should a rookie be promoted at round 11 he remains on the rookie list, he is not swapped with a player on the senior list. The only time a player can be assigned to either senior or rookie lists is during trading and drafting.

As for either Fitzpatrick of Gawn being placed on the rookie list at some point, you need to remember that they are both on 2 year contracts. Should the club choose to delist them and try to pick them up again in the rookie draft (which due to the contracts could only happen with the permission of the players in question) they would almost certainly have one or both poached by another club. Remeber that GC have all of the early picks in the drafts this year, and WS the year after.

• 4 weeks later...