Jack Watts

Steamin Demon

Over the last couple of weeks I have read a few posts mainly in the training topics. It was reported Jack Watts was copping sprays from coaches and seemed to chat back a bit, Some posters even started jumping to conclusions about a young kid partying it up and getting on the [censored], Thus letting down the Melbourne faithful. I thought I would just clear up a few things.

He hasn't touched any booze since Christmas, In fact when his young 18 mates go out drinking who do you think drives them, Thats right JACK. That's a pretty hard thing to do as a 18 year old. I was at a BBQ on saturday that Jack was at and he wouldn't even touch the sausages until he knew what was in them.

This kid is as committed as they come, He has bulked up considerably. He is itching to play, Jumping out of his skin to be honest. Having said all that he probably won't play NAB Cup but did tell me Scully was burning it up at training.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the last couple of weeks I have read a few posts mainly in the training topics. It was reported Jack Watts was copping sprays from coaches and seemed to chat back a bit, Some posters even started jumping to conclusions about a young kid partying it up and getting on the [censored], Thus letting down the Melbourne faithful. I thought I would just clear up a few things.

He hasn't touched any booze since Christmas, In fact when his young 18 mates go out drinking who do you think drives them, Thats right JACK. That's a pretty hard thing to do as a 18 year old. I was at a BBQ on saturday that Jack was at and he wouldn't even touch the sausages until he knew what was in them.

This kid is as committed as they come, He has bulked up considerably. He is itching to play, Jumping out of his skin to be honest. Having said all that he probably won't play NAB Cup but did tell me Scully was burning it up at training.

You get the feeling some supporters want him to fail.

Hope he does get a game during the pre-season - hope all our draftees get an opportunity to show some skills.

fantastic to hear.. however, for what reason is he not playing NAB?

I dont think that has been alleged here but thanks for your summary on Jack. Good to see he is focussed.

I agree with RR that basically no one wants him to fail-however I for one feel that he may not be quite ready for AFL standard right now. He has shown enough in his 3 games that he WILL make it. However, he needs to gain bulk, confidence and to be ready when his body says I am right. He will be a sensational footballer for us but we also have to remember he is ONLY 18 now.Furthermore, I have posted this statement many times- talls do not really reach there peak till mid to late 20's. Frawley has taken the best part of 3 years to develop so far but he is slightly more advanced for his age.Watts will reach his peak in say 4/ 6 years from now. However, we will play him this year after ,I think he plays well at Casey due to the late pre season due to studies and illness.He has really just stated training since Dec/Xmas.

Edited by jayceebee31

Nice to hear.

However if you look over at 'ology you'll find quite a lot of gossip and innuendo being written about the lad.

Thanks

I feel for the kid. He is what we have been screaming out for. He was regarded as the best talent in the strongest draft for nearly a decade and what are we doing putting a bus load of pressure on him. Good old Melbourne supporters. Hes 18 give him some slack

Edited by Clanger King

I need Watts to perform to improve my working life. The amount of crap get about Joke Watts and Hack Watts or that fairy and so on is killing me.

I have talked it up a little bit this year with Watts and Sylvia being my main argument....I hope they stand up, and the team.

If we lose to Freo in this Nab Cup game I will have to wear a Freo scarf all week, not to mention the the words, "I told you so" from the large amount of smug crow supporters. I have a slab of corona on the line for Freo v Melbourne ladder position as well......50/50 I think.

Edited by Mr Morton

I doubt any Melbourne supporter wants Watts to fail. However, everytime I hear a training report that is even slightly negative about Watts I admit I do get concerned. All I have to base my opinion on regarding Watts is the senior games he played last year and any VFL game I happened to catch on the ABC. What I saw did not overly enthuse me, not because he lacks the skill. He has truck loads of that. The thing I didn't observe was 100% desire. Oppisition supporters no doubt notice it too, otherwise they wouldn't come up with the nicknames Mr morton listed.

I hope he turns into the most dominant player in the AFL, I really do. I hope the things that I have observed are an abberation. I hope he one days wins the Brownlow, Coleman, Norm Smith and lifts the cup in September.

But right now, he has a long way to go. What I want to hear from track watchers is that he is one of the hardest trainers, listens intently to the coach, vocal with teamates and shows the signs of being a future leader. That will go along way to alleviating my concerns.

I doubt any Melbourne supporter wants Watts to fail. However, everytime I hear a training report that is even slightly negative about Watts I admit I do get concerned. All I have to base my opinion on regarding Watts is the senior games he played last year and any VFL game I happened to catch on the ABC. What I saw did not overly enthuse me, not because he lacks the skill. He has truck loads of that. The thing I didn't observe was 100% desire. Oppisition supporters no doubt notice it too, otherwise they wouldn't come up with the nicknames Mr morton listed.

I hope he turns into the most dominant player in the AFL, I really do. I hope the things that I have observed are an abberation. I hope he one days wins the Brownlow, Coleman, Norm Smith and lifts the cup in September.

But right now, he has a long way to go. What I want to hear from track watchers is that he is one of the hardest trainers, listens intently to the coach, vocal with teamates and shows the signs of being a future leader. That will go along way to alleviating my concerns.

Give him a break. Last year was a skinny kid with no pre season, limited training and overwhelming expectations.

And I would not read too much into the parrotting by posters of an off the cuff comment in the quiet season about Watts.

An 18yo footballer cops a spray at training....No kidding. And the knives are out for him.

Take a chill pill and stop making a mountain out of nothing.

When i'm takling to friends or work mates I don't come up with a structured arguement, they will get stuck into the players and I back them up thats how it works ;)

I can relate to that. Me and some mates meet up fortnightly (lucky us) for some darts. The banter soon starts, pretty much upon entrance. Sure enough I get called the title of this thread and get a ribbing, only because they know I'm passionate about Mfc. I give it back to them, especially to a Carlton supporter. It's all fun & games. Although I have stayed away from bets such as yours in recent years.....for now. :lol:

That will change soon enough.

Give him a break. Last year was a skinny kid with no pre season, limited training and overwhelming expectations.

And I would not read too much into the parrotting by posters of an off the cuff comment in the quiet season about Watts.

An 18yo footballer cops a spray at training....No kidding. And the knives are out for him.

Take a chill pill and stop making a mountain out of nothing.

Seriously, I remember when Reiwoldt first began out. Everyone was hanging on him in his first four years, now he one of the most dangerous forward in the comp.

We should just be more excited about his potential. Everyone at the club will tell you that he has class - just going to take a while for him to shine. I reckon with this young side, he'll come on nicely.

I can relate to that. Me and some mates meet up fortnightly (lucky us) for some darts. The banter soon starts, pretty much upon entrance. Sure enough I get called the title of this thread and get a ribbing, only because they know I'm passionate about Mfc. I give it back to them, especially to a Carlton supporter. It's all fun & games. Although I have stayed away from bets such as yours in recent years.....for now. :lol:

That will change soon enough.

Surely you stick to points that serve the purpose of defending the club, rather than bringing up MFC's perceived weaknesses.

Maybe that's just me...

Oppisition supporters no doubt notice it too, otherwise they wouldn't come up with the nicknames Mr morton listed.

did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe, they are winding you up for a laugh, and also out of envy at the fact we have monstered the draft three years in a row and our junior group puts most to shame?

Surely you stick to points that serve the purpose of defending the club,

Sure, of course. They get the picture. BTW did you miss my point, "I give it back to them"

Don't let it worry you Keyser. I defend and attack quite well. :lol:

rather than bringing up MFC's perceived weaknesses.

? Bring up what ?

don’t worry about watts, it seems that we have been let down with the player we have drafted, that have turn out to be duds, that we think everyone that is drafted by MFC is a dud, just think of Colin’s first three years, the same things where written about him, now look at him everyone says he is a gun now, so just waited and see.

Jack "Charlie" Watts will be ok, just give him a little space and some patience

For a while he might drive some of us mad, but when he gets his head and body right, at the same rate.

Look out...Liam Jurrah & Jack Watts might be as Great as Ron Baggott & Norm Smith.

those guys took 2-3 years to get sorted out back in the thirties, but they were a lethal duo if you read our history

part of the 39-41 3peat.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Kids gonna be fine. Got a great feeling about him.

He will be better than fine. In a couple of years our 3 Jacks and a couple of Aces will beat anything any other team can bring to the table.

It never ceases to amaze me how there's a complete lack of any kind of reason when it comes to sticking the boot in to rival clubs.

All anyone needs to do is look at history. Even just recent history, say, the last 10 or so years. Name us a half decent KP forward who did anything of note in their first 3 years?

Better yet, tell me how Franklin, Reiwoldt, Brown, Tredrea and Fevola were regarded in their first 3 years? Watts is MILES of getting it as badly as Buddy did in the years leading up to his breakout season. The only player I can think of that was regarded as a fantastic prospect inside his first couple of seasons was Pavlich. And even he only did enough to show he had talent. He wasn't threatening to kick 60 when he was in his teens!

And every rumour I've heard can easily be explained as typical 18 year old behaviour, and falls well within the realms of a day in the life of an AFL footballer. If it wasn't Jack Watts, no-one would pipe up. He wasn't chained to a boat and forced to drink was he? In fact, he's kept well out of the negative press.

Shouldn't we be celebrating this?

It never ceases to amaze me how there's a complete lack of any kind of reason when it comes to sticking the boot in to rival clubs.

All anyone needs to do is look at history. Even just recent history, say, the last 10 or so years. Name us a half decent KP forward who did anything of note in their first 3 years?

Better yet, tell me how Franklin, Reiwoldt, Brown, Tredrea and Fevola were regarded in their first 3 years? Watts is MILES of getting it as badly as Buddy did in the years leading up to his breakout season. The only player I can think of that was regarded as a fantastic prospect inside his first couple of seasons was Pavlich. And even he only did enough to show he had talent. He wasn't threatening to kick 60 when he was in his teens!

And every rumour I've heard can easily be explained as typical 18 year old behaviour, and falls well within the realms of a day in the life of an AFL footballer. If it wasn't Jack Watts, no-one would pipe up. He wasn't chained to a boat and forced to drink was he? In fact, he's kept well out of the negative press.

Shouldn't we be celebrating this?

it's just jealousy. We've dealt ourselves an awesome hand over the last few drafts and they all know and fear it