Young Demon duo sign for three years

dee-luded

MELBOURNE recruits Jack Trengove and Luke Tapscott have pledged their allegiance to their new club by signing three-year deals.

The pair and their families had become close well before they were drafted by the Demons.

“On draft night the Trengoves had a pretty clear understanding of where Jack would go in the pecking order but they were very interested in where Luke would go,” Harrington said.

“They were in contact with Luke’s parents the morning of the draft just to speak to them and say good luck. As it turned out he joined Jack at Melbourne.”

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsart...92/default.aspx

MELBOURNE recruits Jack Trengove and Luke Tapscott have pledged their allegiance to their new club by signing three-year deals.

The pair and their families had become close well before they were drafted by the Demons.

“On draft night the Trengoves had a pretty clear understanding of where Jack would go in the pecking order but they were very interested in where Luke would go,” Harrington said.

“They were in contact with Luke’s parents the morning of the draft just to speak to them and say good luck. As it turned out he joined Jack at Melbourne.”

Great News!!!

The good news just keeps on coming. Off subject a little, Does anyone know when and where Melbourne are playing their intraclub praccy match ?

The pleasant news for Dees fans in the club signing Jack Trengove and Luke Tapscott for 3 years is another small step in the right direction. It's confirmation that these guys are committing to the club for the long haul after pledging their allegiance to their club.

I could not be more impressed with the appointment of Tim Harrington as List Manager at the club. It was a most prudent move in effectively moving Newton & Meesen to the rookie list to gain picks 34 and 50 in last year's National Draft, which enabled both Max Gawn & Jack Fitzpatrick to arrive to Melbournefc. That was all thanks to the rule change. TH and the Mfc took full advantage in what I believe was a clear indication (and fast-tracking) of strengthening the list.

I have the full confidence in what the club is building for the future, and their desire to plan well ahead is most evident and definitely needed in order to achieve what they set out to do.

B)

Just as important as recruiting and list management is the development side to the club. The appointment of Scott West to a full-time gig is critical to the younger player's development. I'm sure his experience and wealth of knowledge will be beneficial for the likes of Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, Grimes, Tapscott, Morton, Maric & company. Part of the development is obviously the resources and facilities offered to the players. Casey and Bubbledome shall provide what is required.

These boys recruited over the last 3 years have it all in front of them : -

demonrecruits2009.jpg

newrecruitsp.png

theboys.jpg

Exciting stuff. Go Dees!

Edited by High Tower

While the headlines give a warm and fuzzy, why are we seeking to have Trengove and Tapscott on a 3 year contract and not other first year players like Scully? I thought all first year players get a 2 year contract first up. Was it a special deal for out of towners?

While I am sure the recruiting dept have done their sums in getting Trengove and Tapscott and both boys have come with big raps from junior football neither have got any AFL pedigree yet? While its unlikely with JT that he does not make the grade, what if Tapscott turns out to a recruit that does not perform and we have given him three years?

How long are draftees usually contracted for?

It makes sense to sign up the SA boys to longer contracts so they can fully commit to a new life in Melbourne and are happy to stay when their next contract comes around. You would think that if Scully or Gysberts show even glimpses of their talent in the seniors this year they will also be signed for 3 years.

Usually a two-year contract.

Perhaps the FD wanted to secure them over 3 years to shield them from GC suitors / recruiters and GWS. There would be many sceptics out there wondering why Scully, Gysberts, etc weren't offered the same. I think TH gave good reasoning behind the move by the club as to why they signed them to 3 year contracts.

List management strategy long-term could well be another. I think the recruiting department would also be more than confident enough in the draftees football ability to make the transition to AFL level without question. Hence this strategic and most thoughtful move.

Edited by High Tower

Perhaps the FD wanted to secure them over 3 years to shield them from GC suitors / recruiters and GWS. There would be many sceptics out there wondering why Scully, Gysberts, etc weren't offered the same. I think TH gave good reasoning behind the move by the club as to why they signed them to 3 year contracts.

List management strategy long-term could well be another. I think the recruiting department would also be more than confident enough in the draftees football ability to make the transition to AFL level without question. Hence this move.

It may well be that the club doesn't want Scully and Trengove coming out of contract at the same time. Whatever the reason I'm pleased that they're signing on for three it shows that they are keen to be there and have faith in the club, also the club has faith in them.

Maybe the FD felt that giving the SA boys 3 years provides them more security and allows them to settle in and be happy with their new life before the next contract negotiations. Not too many top 20 draft picks are discarded after only 2 years & you would think that given the poor draft choices we will get in the coming seasons these 2 recruits will only have to show glimpses of their talent in the seniors to justify persevering with. I think the Bell and Newton experiment has tainted peoples thinking about longer deals for the unproven... probably fair enough.

List management strategy long-term could well be another. I think the recruiting department would also be more than confident enough in the draftees football ability to make the transition to AFL level without question. Hence this move.

Timing. You wouldn't want all of them coming out of contract at the same time.

Maybe it works in with the expected timeframe of others who may retire around that time, etc.

Very Prudent Move by the MFC this one. Heard tim Harrington on KB this morning.

Good idea to lock the S.A Boys into that extra year, stagger the contracts of our recriuts over a period of years.

Don't want every body up for renewal while the Gold Coast & Western Sydney Vultures circle.

If all our recriuts fired & then came up for contract renewal together we would blow the salary cap for sure.

So i am pleased at all this.

2010 Foot Down LET's Gooooo.... :mad:

The pleasant news for Dees fans in the club signing Jack Trengove and Luke Tapscott for 3 years is another small step in the right direction. It's confirmation that these guys are committing to the club for the long haul after pledging their allegiance to their club.

I could not be more impressed with the appointment of Tim Harrington as List Manager at the club. It was a most prudent move in effectively moving Newton & Meesen to the rookie list to gain picks 34 and 50 in last year's National Draft, which enabled both Max Gawn & Jack Fitzpatrick to arrive to Melbournefc. That was all thanks to the rule change. TH and the Mfc took full advantage in what I believe was a clear indication (and fast-tracking) of strengthening the list.

I have the full confidence in what the club is building for the future, and their desire to plan well ahead is most evident and definitely needed in order to achieve what they set out to do.

B)

Just as important as recruiting and list management is the development side to the club. The appointment of Scott West to a full-time gig is critical to the younger player's development. I'm sure his experience and wealth of knowledge will be beneficial for the likes of Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, Grimes, Tapscott, Morton, Maric & company. Part of the development is obviously the resources and facilities offered to the players. Casey and Bubbledome shall provide what is required.

demonrecruits2009.jpg

newrecruitsp.png

theboys.jpg

Exciting stuff. Go Dees!

And thanks to Jordie McKenzie, for agreeing to stay a rookie for another year.

As for Scully and co from listening to Tim Harrington today it appeared that their managers are happy for the two years, so lets not over react on this matter or read something else into it that is not there.

Guest fatty
While the headlines give a warm and fuzzy, why are we seeking to have Trengove and Tapscott on a 3 year contract and not other first year players like Scully? I thought all first year players get a 2 year contract first up. Was it a special deal for out of towners?

While I am sure the recruiting dept have done their sums in getting Trengove and Tapscott and both boys have come with big raps from junior football neither have got any AFL pedigree yet? While its unlikely with JT that he does not make the grade, what if Tapscott turns out to a recruit that does not perform and we have given him three years?

I have it on good authority that we offered them 6 month contracts but their managers wouldn't budge.

Oh well.

Guest Scattsgove

B)

demonrecruits2009.jpg

newrecruitsp.png

theboys.jpg

Exciting stuff. Go Dees!

Maric looks like a zombie.

Great to hear the boys have signed for 3, I think both will be ripper players.

Go the dees :lol:

Thats about what I'd expect RR...no warm and fuzzy for you!

Are you suggesting that players who we have recruited inside top 20 wouldnt be given over 2 or 3 years to grow and prove themselves anyway?

Oh no RR if they havent proven 'AFL pedigree' in two years lets cut them loose to GWS....

You have a wicked sense of humour...

As with the others I think it more shows the boys are willing to commit to us from the start unlike most other players in the AFL with so called pedigree have given us over the last few years....

Are you suggesting that players who we have recruited inside top 20 wouldnt be given over 2 or 3 years to grow and prove themselves anyway?

Re read my post (s-l-o-w-l-y) and where have I said that?

A dismal fail on both the wit and the wisdom there Nut.

Re read my post (s-l-o-w-l-y) and where have I said that?

A dismal fail on both the wit and the wisdom there Nut.

that would be fail judged by who RR? You judging is a conflict of interest lol. Far be for me to question the boards greatest journalist...

Given one reply to a thread you can judge ones wit and wisdom??

As for slowly I simply asked you a question to which you didn't reply. I thought you were being funny with what you inferred and was checking if you were serious...

Were you?

that would be fail judged by who RR? You judging is a conflict of interest lol. Far be for me to question the boards greatest journalist...

Given one reply to a thread you can judge ones wit and wisdom??

As for slowly I simply asked you a question to which you didn't reply. I thought you were being funny with what you inferred and was checking if you were serious...

Were you?

In this case Yes.

And I was not inferring what you thought I had by your question.

My original post was clear and straightforward asking why were they offered three years contracts to those players (and not others) who at this point are unproven at AFL level. And beyond the symbolism of the action, what advantages does a three year contract provide MFC over offering them a two year contract.