Which Departure Hurt You The Most?

SidVicious

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a discussion yesterday on SEN in the wake of Trent Croad's retirement from Hawthorn about which player's departure hurt the most. When Croad was traded to Fremantle, there were near riots at Glenferrie Oval as Hawk fans vented their spleens.

Various callers rang to talk about the players whose departure hurt them the most. Blues fans mentioned Fev and Hammill, a Cats fan talked about Leigh Colbert, a Bulldogs fan wasn't happy about Nathan Brown going to Richmond etc.

Mine was Ron Barassi leaving Melbourne to go to Carlton. It was the undoing of a great era at the club and we never really recovered.

The best call was the Tiger fan who rang to say the worst departure was Jordan McMahon when he left the Bulldogs to go to Richmond but I don't have any problems with that move :lol: !

So which departure hurt you the most?

Travis Johnstone - On reflection I know he was an inconsistent little bugger but wow when he was on song.

2002 Semi Final versus Adelaide when we where 40 points down at 1/4 time.

He was simply elite that night, have never seen disposal so crisp in heavy traffic.

Whenever we where up and about from 98 - 2008 he was amongst it.

Also really missed the Great Allen Jakovich,Earl Spalding, Brian Wilson & Big Strawb O'Dwyer once they where gone.

All 4 where very important when we where a force late 80's early 90's.

All is history now as we launch into what should be an exciting decade for The Dee's.

Whilst not a departure the re-ocurring injuries to Stinga and Schwarz in the 90s that kept them from becoming competition elite were pretty devastating.

Absolutely agree. For e these hurt far worse than any players leaving us.

The most annoying departure for me was Jeff Farmer. Not so much the loss of the player as the way he went about it. His conduct robbed us of a decent trade and we were left having to take what was offered, well below market value.

The Wiz for me, he was a freak an a player that would of continued to be a star at the feet of Neita.

Look at the last decade 3 Melbourne players left and won Premierships a big Full Back, a big tap ruckman and a small forward. The last one wasn't an issue but we could of done with Jolly and Bishop over the past 10 years.

Todd McHardy...

Clay Sampson..... Seriously, the Duke was far more valuable than he was given credit for at Melbourne. Even on a down day, he was breaking packs and blocking for other forwards. Also, if only we had Warren Dean in 1990, along with Duke, who knows things might have been difference.

Does anyone think that Melbourne has a problem keeping or attracting some of these players? I still dont quite understand why McClean left, after he seemed so passionate about the club. Perhaps our improved facilities might help us a fair bit?

Does anyone think that Melbourne has a problem keeping or attracting some of these players? I still dont quite understand why McClean left, after he seemed so passionate about the club. Perhaps our improved facilities might help us a fair bit?

I think its a lesson that appearances can be deceiving...

Perhaps did not hurt the most.... but deserves a mention.

Brian Wilson to St. Kilda.

I know he was past his best and at the end of his career, but it was still very painful. Especially on the day the following season he kicked the winning goal (plus several others) for the Saints and then turned to the MCC members and properly gave it to them.

He was not happy to be asked to retire (I think this was the case). What ever the case he felt he had something to prove...... and he did just that.

Edited by Grand New Flag

If we really wanted to keep McClean the football department would have tried harder. take that as gospel.

There was a discussion yesterday on SEN in the wake of Trent Croad's retirement from Hawthorn about which player's departure hurt the most. When Croad was traded to Fremantle, there were near riots at Glenferrie Oval as Hawk fans vented their spleens.

Various callers rang to talk about the players whose departure hurt them the most. Blues fans mentioned Fev and Hammill, a Cats fan talked about Leigh Colbert, a Bulldogs fan wasn't happy about Nathan Brown going to Richmond etc.

Mine was Ron Barassi leaving Melbourne to go to Carlton. It was the undoing of a great era at the club and we never really recovered.

The best call was the Tiger fan who rang to say the worst departure was Jordan McMahon when he left the Bulldogs to go to Richmond but I don't have any problems with that move :lol: !

So which departure hurt you the most?

Yeah, the Wizard for sure!

We do have a Problem, because other teams know how to win those big crucial games. Not just one hard game, but 2-3 in a row.

win finals regularly. Until the MFC can do that it will be hard to attract and or keep the truly elite players.

But with stynesy at the Helm i believe we truly have the chance to get to that high level.

Who knows why deep down Mclean left-his family was carlton.

Right now we are starting again, the whole club. Mclean through his own choice is in the past. But yes if the MFC had really wanted to keep Brock- i am sure the deal would not have been done on the monday morning first thing

Clay Sampson..... Seriously, the Duke was far more valuable than he was given credit for at Melbourne. Even on a down day, he was breaking packs and blocking for other forwards. Also, if only we had Warren Dean in 1990, along with Duke, who knows things might have been difference.

Agree completely. The Duke & Warren Dean had class.

If only Earl was a straighter kick-although it did mean when he kicked one it was a real celebration!! :lol:

Yeah I was gutted when we traded Earl to Carlton. And Warren Dean had something special.

But Ted Fidge cut me up the worst

Tingay for me...

I was just dying to see him finally get his body right again, and then to see Sydney give him a shot meant (to me) that his body must've still had something in it worth persevering...

I was crushed. In the end he didn't play, but at the time I wasn't to know that.

How is he not a fitness coach at the club??

Tingay for me...

I was just dying to see him finally get his body right again, and then to see Sydney give him a shot meant (to me) that his body must've still had something in it worth persevering...

I was crushed. In the end he didn't play, but at the time I wasn't to know that.

How is he not a fitness coach at the club??

he used to be