Re-invent Brad Miller as a defender ...

Range Rover

I don't remember Miller hitting out in the backline either, but I believe that it was Bring Back Powell that said: when Melbourne fires, Miller Fires. I have seen Frosty play some GREAT games up forward - strong on the lead, long kicks in the forward line, excellent decision making, but he needs to do this week-in, week out. With solid and consistent delivery, I think he can.

I ALSO think he has the potential to play down back - at the moment, however, we don't need him there. We need him firing as a lead up, strong marking CHF... where he's been playing through the tough times - when we start winning, I have confidence he can be the player the MFC require.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still not convinced our forward line will develop enough in 2010 for miller to be out of the job by 2011. Our forward line is the laughing stock of the AFL, and with no Robbo to chime in and kick goals, it will be Miller who will need to kick 3 a game if we are going to win 6-8 games next season.

If Watts and Jurrah take some big strides in 2010, I would still think there would be another hole in that forward six which Miller can slot into. I think Miller has another 1-2 left at the MFC, longer is these kids take more time to develop.

You never know, Brad could score himself a nice 3 years deal at the GC next season, so he might not be around in 2011 anyway.

Apart from one or two really good games on Barry Hall, Miller's previous forays into defence have been very ordinary. He has to lift his game this year but I can only see it happening on the forward line.

How can people not remember Brad Miller in defence? Ordinary is being very kind.

Backline - 2 decent games on Barry Hall in career.

Forward - probably about 15 decent games including a good final against Freo. He will help with the development of Watts and co to come in and take pressure off them when required. Let's not try to abuse him personally. Miller at least gives his all for the club, if all of our more talented players did that we wouldn't be coming off consecutive wooden spoons.

You could contribute something meaningful rather than just attacking a player who has given his all to the club.

I'd much rather a player that tries and works as hard as Brad does, but just isn't up to it, rather than a player who has all the talent in the world but squanders it through lack of application.

You could contribute something meaningful rather than just attacking a player who has given his all to the club.

I'd much rather a player that tries and works as hard as Brad does, but just isn't up to it, rather than a player who has all the talent in the world but squanders it through lack of application.

aka Travis Johnstone

Miller can play at CHF when Watts and Jurrah play inside 50. Miller is a good target at CHF but needs to handball to passing midfielders to hit up leading players in our 50. He can be that bash and crash type of player aswell!

He can rotate through this position as I expect plenty of rotations this year!

How could you ever suggest Miller as a backman when he scared to ever Kick the Ball

A good backman must be able to clear the ball from danger areas without a second thought.

Keep Miller at Half Forward Please.

And a good forward should want to kick goals! I've never seen a CHF want to handball and give it off more than Miller!?

I'd rather see him give his all at another club.

He has far too many faults to make a valuable contribution to the club. I don't see the difference in a player squandering their chances through a lack of application and a player squandering their chances due to lack of talent, in the end they are both squandering their opportunities. To have a player like Miller on the list for 8 years is far too long.

I'd rather see him give his all at another club.

He has far too many faults to make a valuable contribution to the club.

Funny. The players have voted Brad Miller back into the leadership group again.

Maybe they know more about what he actually does contribute than you do.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/juni...f-1225807911294

Miller is a player of limited talent but wonderful application. By all accounts a terrific person with alot of character and personal integrity who is highly regarded around the Club.

He deserves better than some of the treatment he receives on these forums.

Miller is a player of limited talent but wonderful application. By all accounts a terrific person with alot of character and personal integrity who is highly regarded around the Club.

I've said the same before, absolutely agree RR. Attacks on his skills and abilities is one thing but some of the personal attacks on here are completely uncalled for.

I haven't often talked about Miller before - apart from sticking up for him when some refer to him as a complete "dud" - but when we've done exercises on our team for 2010 in various threads (ie. Rpfc's & numerous others ), I can't for the life of me squeeze him into the starting 18. I don't see it as ignoring him at all, because sure enough I've had him as an emergency.

What I put it down to is, when putting down my starting 22 on paper/screen, I'm looking at what is best for the club down the track, with Miller we almost know what we're going to get. A workhorse who apply's himself to his game 100%. He's played over 125 games, so one would think there wouldn't be many - if any at all - strings to add to his bow.

And I list the side knowing that if I put Miller in the forward line, I feel I'm holding a young up and comer back- with alot of potential - hoping that player can have more dimensions to his game than Miller. The fact is apart from probably Jurrah and Bate at the moment (in terms of KPF), we're yet to see more dimensions from any one individual than Miller up forward. Is that a fair assumption ?

Now that reality has sunk in, I should perhaps acknowledge that Miller should be in the starting 22 - even 18. But, I must also acknowledge he is on the cusp seeing that new recruits need experience at senior level. (ie.Watts). There is a changing of the guard.

Edited by High Tower

Sounds like a mates club to me. How can a player who spent a considerable amount of time in the VFL be in the leadership group? What a joke I can't believe the club can reward mediocrity like that.

Is this the same Rhino that wanted to give Miller the ass you really make me laugh. BTW it's the Melbourne Football Club not the Melbourne Social Club, I want to see terrific footballers I don't care less about their character, he's the worst player on our list and nobody's character can make up for that.