Burgan's Phantom Draft

Diablo Deemon

Yes, and keeping in mind that Meesen was an elite ruckman in the 2004 draft

Exactly, I would prefer we look at him later in the draft and if he's gone then so be it. However one of the posters over at 'Ology feels extremely confident that we will take him at 18 and has gone so far as to say that he has been told by the club we will pick him if he's still available.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gawn does look impressive..

But I think he will go closer to 30ish...

As Burgan has it, Tapscott at 19? I don't believe it..I guy built like that, in the All Australian team, noted as the best kick in the draft...Sure if he is available at that pick we would be crazy not to pick him...I don't think anyone is going to pick a Ruckman at 18 in this draft..

Port will probably pick up either Vardy or Gawn..but I honestly don't think we will pick up Gawn at 18..

This would be a dream draft for us :

1 Scully

2 Trengove

11 Tallia - If he is available at # 11

18 Tapscott - If he is available at # 18..Doubt it

34 Gawn or Taylor - Either or would be a great pick up..

50 Patrick - If he lasts to 50...I think he will go earlier..

PSD McDonald

Screw Talia, his kicking action is woeful. Ben Griffiths has an amazing set shot and everything seems like second nature when he lines up in the goal square. Sounds like the full foward we are after, not another of these jack of all trades master of none <195cm players ALA Dunn

Screw Talia, his kicking action is woeful. Ben Griffiths has an amazing set shot and everything seems like second nature when he lines up in the goal square. Sounds like the full foward we are after, not another of these jack of all trades master of none <195cm players ALA Dunn

Except Griff is injury-riddled and not half as agile as Talia.

... but I'd also like to take a punt on him.

Both actually.

Diasgree with you there. People can get hung up on kicking actions but if the player still hits targets well what does it matter?

I've seen Talia play live and viewed his highlights packages and he's an excellent decision maker, a smart key position footballer.

I personally think he'll end up being more of a key backman who is also able to pinch hit in the forward line, but that's okay,

premierships are built on quality defences and Talia will end up being a top CHB in my opinion.

B: Frawley Warnock Grimes

HB: Davey Talia Morton

As Burgan has it, Tapscott at 19? I don't believe it..I guy built like that, in the All Australian team, noted as the best kick in the draft...Sure if he is available at that pick we would be crazy not to pick him...

Re Tapscott, I think it can be a mistake to get too hung up on a guy's size at U/18 level. Some boys fill out very quickly at that age whereas most of the others will fill out into their frames into their early 20's. Tapscott has relished being able to push aside blokes 10 kg's in size less than him but he'll just be another well built player among many brick outhouses on an AFL list.

His true worth will be determined by his pace, decision making, ball winning and foot skills (which from what I've seen are very good but perhaps not in the top 20 for mine).

Diasgree with you there. People can get hung up on kicking actions but if the player still hits targets well what does it matter?

I don't know, Jack Grimes has a "fundamental flaw" in his kicking and it will surelyruin his career.

Speaking of that, where is Demonland's fundamental flaw?

Love it!! Very exciting!!

maybe replace Gawn with Vardy.. but very happy with Talia, Taylor and Patrick !!

interesting to see Ah Chee not making the cut.. possible Rookie pick? i was impressed with what i saw of him! Same with Hooper.. probably because of his height?

Mitch Thorpe Melbourne Rookie?

Gawn looks a likely type.

Is he the big lump people want in our forward line?

Would he be able to match it with the Ryder-type ruckmen?

Does getting him at 18 mean we can get a mid at 11?

I would say - Probably, No, and yes.

I'd suggest Talia is coming to us at 11 unless Butcher is still available or we decide to go for an out-and-out forward in Black.

18 is up in the air, it'll probably depend on who else is available at the time. I would almost prefer Gawn to Vardy. Vardy is the best ruckman, but Gawn has more of an upside due to his size.

If we're going to take a risk on a tall, I'd rather take a risk on a mobile giant who can kick and take good contested grabs (this is what Gawn's footage suggests).

What we're missing from our forward line is a giant pack-breaker who'll take contested marks. From everything I've seen (limited mind you), Gawn seems the most suited to do this with his skills and frame. He'll also be the most ready-made of all the talls, given he is already over 100kgs.

I'd rather take a quality mid at 11, and a ruckman/forward like Gawn at 18, than risk blowing pick 11 on a tall who won't really fulfill our needs. Gawn is killing two birds at once.

We can always do with a tall like Talia - he's versatile in that he can play forward or back, so we shouldn't have to worry about him fulfilling our needs.

In addition, he's probably the best available at 11 anyway.

Vardy/Gawn at 18 is a decent pick. Gawn may still be available at 34, but it's a risk.

It depends if we want to take a risk on Gawn still being there at 34 or guarantee that we pick him if he's rated high enough by BP.

Guest hangon007

Before everyone gets tooooo carried away ... I heard Burgan on Melbourne radio basically admitting.

IHO ... this is the toughest draft he has ever done to get the exact picking order correct.

He said something along the lines ... "I'm confident I got the names right Im very unsure of the order. Due to many recruiters rating individual players massively different."

So I suppose it less than 24hrs to go.

With Talia and Gawn in our sights I can see us having a bigger injury list next year than this year.

based on ?

keep i mind they then would come under the fitness management of the club as opposed to the sfa they have had to date.( by comparison )

IMO if Max Gawn didn't get injured he would have been considered a definite first round pick, he was the easily the best ruckman I saw all year and was very dangerous when up forward. The other highly rated ruckman Vardy looks sensational for 10 minutes than does nothing for the rest of the game and is only adequete in the ruck. I just don't rate Vardy that highly but with so few quality Rucks in the draft clubs will have to jump early to get them.

I am going to sound like sound a like a smart arse for saying this now after Burgan but I have been thinking for the last couple of weeks that Gawn would be a good pick for 18, at pick 18 we have taken three very good footballers already and I would be thinking

that this should be our risky pick. I think that we should take Gawn if available, if he isn't available than Griffiths should be next in line. Both of these guys have an injury risk(In Griffiths case a HUGE injury risk), but these two players have probably the two biggest upsides to them in the whole draft. If Gawn comes good we have our number 1 Ruckman for ten years and with 4 picks inside the top 20 we are able to take the risk.

Edited by Melon22

Re Tapscott, I think it can be a mistake to get too hung up on a guy's size at U/18 level. Some boys fill out very quickly at that age whereas most of the others will fill out into their frames into their early 20's. Tapscott has relished being able to push aside blokes 10 kg's in size less than him but he'll just be another well built player among many brick outhouses on an AFL list.

His true worth will be determined by his pace, decision making, ball winning and foot skills (which from what I've seen are very good but perhaps not in the top 20 for mine).

Have you actually watched him play?

Not only does he have good acceleration, but he is a great overhead and contested mark...and has a thumping kick and is a multiple goal scorer...

Now go through our list...We now have a young list...Who are also skinny and need to fill out..Watts..Morton..Bleese...the list goes on..You need to have some players that have some size...

Daniel Rich had size when he was playing before he was drafted....how is he managing?

"will just be another well built player among many" very naive comment..