McLean unhappy with Casey Fields location

Between a Brock McLean and a hard place

"I will say that driving distance from my home in Maribyrnong to Casey was a consideration. It took me an hour to get there and on a bad day two hours along the Monash to get back.

"It isn't ideal being in a car for an hour before you are going to run around for a couple of hours. Your back seizes up, your hammies get tight.

"I now live 10 minutes from Carlton. The 2-3 hours extra I was spending in a car can now be re-invested into recovery sessions, extra weights, fitness.

It's a shame, because I see the move to Casey as one of the most significant for the club in decades.

I understand the issue for McLean (and other players), but after Melbourne were previously training on grounds that didn't have goal posts I would have thought that none of them would be complaining too much.

EDIT: Thread title was too harsh

Edited by Clint Bizkit

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be an interesting thread CB. Last year it was discussed by posters, that being, the travelling to and from Casey Fields might be a drag for some of the players. In some way perhaps a deterrent for attracting players to the club. I don't buy it one bit, for the moment.

That's fine and I get that. However playing AFL football is something that so many people would kill for the chance to have. If McLean loved the club so much I don't see how it would have been so hard to relocate closer so he's not having this 1 or 2 hour drive that seizes up the back and hammy's. Sorry if this is a bit harsh but I just find that a bit of a feeble excuse

Between a Brock McLean and a hard place

"I will say that driving distance from my home in Maribyrnong to Casey was a consideration. It took me an hour to get there and on a bad day two hours along the Monash to get back.

"It isn't ideal being in a car for an hour before you are going to run around for a couple of hours. Your back seizes up, your hammies get tight.

"I now live 10 minutes from Carlton. The 2-3 hours extra I was spending in a car can now be re-invested into recovery sessions, extra weights, fitness.

It aint hard to buy a house closer to the training facilities while you have your AFL carreer Brock. Crap excuse, i don't buy it.

Have Fun Playing for the Carlton Mafia won't you.

It aint hard to buy a house closer to the training facilities while you have your AFL carreer Brock. Crap excuse, i don't buy it.

Have Fun Playing for the Carlton Mafia won't you.

How stupid of Brock not to be prepared to incur the cost of selling his current house and buying a new house in a suburb/area he does not want to live.

Now he swaps an up to 2hour drive to training for a 10 minute drive..,..Hmmmm!

You white ant Brock!

Let's not also forget that during the season we would only be training at Casey once a week, every other session would be held at Gosch's Paddock and the ground currently being dug out (as pointed out by Cameron Schwab with his photos).

In Brock's defence though, it can take up to an hour to travel along the Monash alone in bad traffic (which is almost every rush hour - it is a really [censored] road, considering that it is the major corridor out to the SE suburbs and the greater population of Melbourne.).

I see where he is coming from and always thought for the location of Casey to be a problem for the players, not necessarily the club in moving forward. Hopefully not many other players feel his pain, although I guess some would.

People can't seriously believe that that's the main reason he left!

No player gives up friendships and loyalty to a club because they can't be stuffed driving, especially when they know that soon we'll be training in the CBD.

Nobody at St Kilda seems to have a cry about traveling to Frankston, funny that!

Oh I don't think that was a reason. But it seems to be the "in" thing for departing players to bag the club that gave them their one and only opportunity, so I guess he's just going with the trend.

Who said it was?

He said that it was many reasons and I doubt this one was in the top 5 of his reasons to leave.

Agree. But its a consideration nevertheless but not necessarily a major one. It shouldn't be.

Oh I don't think that was a reason. But it seems to be the "in" thing for departing players to bag the club that gave them their one and only opportunity, so I guess he's just going with the trend.

Give us a break.

He is talking about the distance to travel. Its a fact. Its not an opinionated slag at the Club.

If anything he is seeking to mitigate any ill feeling. Fair enough.

Who said it was?

That's what the article inferred, but it's obviously [censored].

As I said, put a player in a successful team and they'll drive to Mars for training.

If a player is happy at a club, sees a bright future and has the full backing of his coaches, then driving two hours a day won't even enter his mind.

It is however a convenient cover-up and well done to Brock for not trashing the club or saying anything untoward, as some ex-players seem to do. It's always important to part on good terms, especially when Brock was a leader at the club and a fan favourite.

While I'm sad to see him go (to f'ing Carlton!!! :angry: ), it seems that all parties are happy, so we'll roll with it and see what we can get with pick 11.

No player gives up friendships and loyalty to a club because they can't be stuffed driving, especially when they know that soon we'll be training in the CBD.

Nobody at St Kilda seems to have a cry about traveling to Frankston, funny that!

I think travelling distances, say in this case- Marybynong to Cranbourne is an ordeal - especially for a major part of the year for training. Especially, if a player like Mclean is getting over a major ankle injury. I do think that the player welfare area need to look at what Brock had to say and to see if it had merit- Do not dismiss it straight away.Also, with trade week and the National draft selections- it may be best to secure players and make sure they are placed close or closer to our trining venues. Wonaeamirri when he came to Melbourne was placed to a family at Newport- long long way from Casy- especially when he did hs knee.Therefore there is strong merit to anylse ehat McLean had to say and take positives from it. However, agree it will only be during our pre match period Oct/ Feb reguarly.

Travelling can be daunting

Give us a break.

He is talking about the distance to travel. Its a fact. Its not an opinionated slag at the Club.

If anything he is seeking to mitigate any ill feeling. Fair enough.

totally agree- and Jaded have you travelled 2 hours a day virtually every day in the heat and in peak traffic- I have and hated it. Left my job because of it. Try it- go down to taining every day from Marybnong and see for yourself. I live in Kensington and I would hate to do it. Also this is another reason why German left. Bailley is doing it from Essendon and hates it.

All things being equal, most people want a shorter commute.

If an AFL player wants a shorter commute it's a disgrace.

Double standard?

Maybe we should have got him to run there.

Crawford used to run from St Kilda to Waverley

That's what the article inferred, but it's obviously [censored].

I dont think so...

That's what the article said

"Was there one big issue? "No, just a lot of little things that contributed to my decision and my gut feeling was I needed a change, to start afresh. "

It is however a convenient cover-up and well done to Brock for not trashing the club or saying anything untoward, as some ex-players seem to do. It's always important to part on good terms, especially when Brock was a leader at the club and a fan favourite.

While I'm sad to see him go (to f'ing Carlton!!! :angry: ), it seems that all parties are happy, so we'll roll with it and see what we can get with pick 11.

Agree.

But i was concerned about the travel stiffness brock complained about. He is only 24. Could be a short career in AFL after an injury blighted one so far.