Ball for Melbourne in the PSD?

mikeod

For those that query or are hestiant about picking Luke up in the draft due to his desire, let him make up his mind about where he wants to play. Once it's made up, I'd expect that if he wants to come to the MFC it will be in the PSD and NOT the ND as he's the sort of bloke who would try to assist whatever club he decides to go to.

Strategically it looks a bad move cause he might or might not call our bluff for 18.

But the odds on were that we would take a youngster at 18 so that might be the play. We want you Luke but not at the cost of the future. We aren't going to play funny buggers and play cat and mouse. You in or out.

You can be certain where your future is now and start training early November or you can have 8 weeks in limbo.

Saints were a rabble end of 99 - finals and genuine contenders 04, Hawks rabble end 03 winners 08. Visy Rabble end of 04, finals 09.

Things turn around fast. Be part of it.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's 25, not 30. Did anyone see how good he was in the GF ?

Ross Lyon obviously wants the game played a certain way and for what ever reason Ball ended up on the outer, but that doesn't mean he won't be suited to a prime contested ball role at Melbourne. He's a terrific midfielder that would add polish, hardness and contested ball winning ability to our midfield.

We've had the worst midfield in the competition, so why would you even think about a HBF over a proven mid ? Someone like Ball would be the perfect foil for Scully while he finds his feet.

If he's not available I don't mind the McDonald option.

I heard Luke Ball was ranked 6th for contested footy by round 13 this year so he can only help as we seem to get smashed every week in this area. What do you mean by polish? Its not a word i would have associated with ball

Ball can hit targets but not anything over 40 metres. He is slow as well.

If Tony Shaw had polish and a few might think so, Luke Ball has a tonne of it.

His career was shortened similarly to Woewodin's when he was fashioned into more of an inside mid-fielder as opposed to a running mid.

Thats just my opinion but Im more cheesed off about what is on offer, than about Luke Ball.

Im hoping there will be more chalk than cheese as we get closer to the PSD.

Or should I be hoping for Cheese? Must write to Can We help about that one.

umm...hi

Do you really think that Liam Jurrah was a better player than Luke Ball currently is at the time of last years psd?

Now that you put it that way. No I don't, not at that particular time. However, I'd revisit this down the track. Fingers crossed, hey.

I heard Luke Ball was ranked 6th for contested footy by round 13 this year so he can only help as we seem to get smashed every week in this area. What do you mean by polish? Its not a word i would have associated with ball

Polish in this sense, I believe, would refer to handballing out to a teammate, hitting him in the hands and in perfect stride.

This, as opposed to a hospital handpass at a teammates feet where he has to stop, prop and make himself an easy target for a gang tackle.

Now that you put it that way. No I don't, not at that particular time. However, I'd revisit this down the track. Fingers crossed, hey.

I guess I was being a bit pedantic, Jurrah has the potential to be elite, and if given the choice between the two I'd take him everyday of the week.

Polish in this sense, I believe, would refer to handballing out to a teammate, hitting him in the hands and in perfect stride.

This, as opposed to a hospital handpass at a teammates feet where he has to stop, prop and make himself an easy target for a gang tackle.

In that sense Luke Ball is far from polished. His disposal is one of his downfalls. In the sense that he prepairs well, is a great leader, sets examples for others and is mentally and physical as tough as anyone he is very polished. I think thats what H ment but i could be way off.

Ball's manager Paul Connors looks after Watts, Blease, Miller and a few others. Connors is well aware of how good we're going to be in a few years. He's well equipped to talk to Ball about our on-field prospects. It gets back to how quickly we expect to be playing Finals and start becoming a genuine contender. I suspect that this will have a bearing on his decision.

agreed, with the talent we've got it would be extremely unlikely (and a monumental fudge-up) that we won't at some stage be knocking about the top 4, IMO. It's just a matter of will we get there fast enough to be of any relevance to Ball? Geez I bloody hope we get him though how many times do we have to be disappointed when it comes to gun players switching over to us?

In that sense Luke Ball is far from polished. His disposal is one of his downfalls. In the sense that he prepairs well, is a great leader, sets examples for others and is mentally and physical as tough as anyone he is very polished. I think thats what H ment but i could be way off.

Professionalism as well, but I think you're guilty of a bit of groupthink.

His kicking over 40m may be hit & miss, but at close range his disposal is pretty good imo.

He is good at feeding the ball out to teammates.

He's 25, not 30. Did anyone see how good he was in the GF ?

Ross Lyon obviously wants the game played a certain way and for what ever reason Ball ended up on the outer, but that doesn't mean he won't be suited to a prime contested ball role at Melbourne. He's a terrific midfielder that would add polish, hardness and contested ball winning ability to our midfield.

We've had the worst midfield in the competition, so why would you even think about a HBF over a proven mid ? Someone like Ball would be the perfect foil for Scully while he finds his feet.

If he's not available I don't mind the McDonald option.

Agree on every point

What's going on here: http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/de...5195743356.html

This article flies in the face of everything that has come out of the club in regards to Ball so far, and I cannot see us using one of the first four picks in the National draft to get him.

As stated elsewhere, it makes no sense to anyway.........if he wants to come to us, he can nominate the preseason draft knowing he comes to us with pick 1.

Can't help thinking these journos have buthchered this story!

agree on every point you make, but especially this one. this for me is the key.

What's going on here: http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/de...5195743356.html

This article flies in the face of everything that has come out of the club in regards to Ball so far, and I cannot see us using one of the first four picks in the National draft to get him.

i dunno where the journo's got that from, but i am impressed by how hard we are going about this. sounds like they are going to leave no stone unturned in their pursuit with the proviso that it is on our terms (which are probably his best terms too, from a gametime and financial point of view). this approach should be commended

Brad Hardie stated on 6pr that luke ball does not what so ever want to play at melbourne next year, i farken hate that ranger dog and he doesnt know [censored] cos ball is on holiday.

made us sound like a basket case, god he is full of it, he is just upset cos the bulldogs are wannabes and we are doing better than them off the field when we have been at the bottom for the last 3 years and they have been top 4, hardy you are a billy goat, a ranger one

Brad Hardie stated on 6pr that luke ball does not what so ever want to play at melbourne next year, i farken hate that ranger dog and he doesnt know [censored] cos ball is on holiday.

made us sound like a basket case, god he is full of it, he is just upset cos the bulldogs are wannabes and we are doing better than them off the field when we have been at the bottom for the last 3 years and they have been top 4, hardy you are a billy goat, a ranger one

Cop that Brad Hardie

Hardie is the Kylie Sandilands of football. [Edited for unnecessary abuse]

Don't believe any article which makes reference to offers of the vice captaincy. The leadership group will be voted on again and if Ball's in, then he's in. It can't be offered. Schwabby refuted this suggestion on Twitter yesterday and I think Bailey did at a press conference too. So, if an article got this bit wrong, what else are they getting wrong?

Personally, my favourite bit of all this is where Bailey rules out using 1, 2, 11 or 18 on Ball, saying that these picks will be used on youngsters. Then I pick up the paper today and see that a journalist saying that Melbourne is prepared to use pick 18, or even pick 11 on Ball!! Pick 11?!?!? HA!! :D

I'd love to know how he got 'maybe pick 11' from 'we won't use pick 11 or 18'?

Personally, my favourite bit of all this is where Bailey rules out using 1, 2, 11 or 18 on Ball, saying that these picks will be used on youngsters. Then I pick up the paper today and see that a journalist saying that Melbourne is prepared to use pick 18, or even pick 11 on Ball!! Pick 11?!?!? HA!! :D

I'd love to know how he got 'maybe pick 11' from 'we won't use pick 11 or 18'?

That's exactly what I did AoB.

omgs.jpg

Agree absolutely

If he nominates for the draft it will be in the hope that someone other than Melbourne will pick him up. I want him - but only if he wants us - and if he wants us he'll wait for the PSD

Spot on - that's the bottom line !