• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The other Liam… a goal kicking ruckman.

the fork

Patrick to play for Eagles

GREY MORRIS

November 12th, 2009

LIAM Patrick's two-game exile from the NTFL will end tomorrow night when he runs on to TIO Stadium to play for Wanderers in the grand final rematch against St Marys.

The "Lajamanu Lightning Bolt" has been told to keep a low profile by AFL clubs in the lead-up to the November 26 national draft and December 15 pre-season and rookie drafts.

Hawthorn and Melbourne have been the main pursuers of Patrick, who several pundits have likened to another Warlpiri AFL player with the same christian name, Liam Jurrah.

Wanderers president Steve Olsson said the ruckman-forward was keen to play after starring in Wanderers' early season wins.

"He's trying his best to get to Darwin to train (tonight) before playing against Saints," he said.

"Hawthorn is one club that don't want him to play but there are others who want to have a look at Liam. The new Gold Coast club will have someone here for the game and I know Brisbane and North Melbourne are interested as well."

Olsson said Patrick's inclusion, combined with the return of inspirational skipper Shannon Motlop, Ali Bond, John Bonson and Christian Schild was important.

"We need to start winning again with the Christmas break only six games away," he said. "Injuries and unavailabilities haven't helped us as the number of changes every week would indicate. But hopefully things are getting back to normal now."

------

From todays NT News:

ST MARYS and Wanderers have brought back some big guns for tonight's NTFL grand final rematch at TIO Stadium.

Saints skipper Peter MacFarlane is back for his first game since injuring his right shoulder in the Round 2 game against Waratahs.

Shannon Rioli on a back flank and goalkicker Anthony Gardiner also return.

Wanderers named AFL draft hopeful Liam Patrick in the ruck for his first game since Round 4.

(Has been home in Lajamanu for a couple of weeks as I understand)

Edited by the fork

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From an article in the NT News:

Jurrah has also noted the deeds of his cousin Liam Patrick and the interest he has attracted from the Demons, Hawthorn, Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

Asked if his cousin and 2005 premiership teammate was good enough to mix it with the best footballers in Australia, Jurrah broke into a broad grin.

"Liam's got everything an AFL club needs, my first cousin is quick, has a good lead and can take a mark on the run or in the air when he jumps as high as anyone.

"Don't worry about Liam on the footy field, he'll prove to everyone he can play football with the best players."

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2009/11/1...11_ntsport.html

As I said in an earlier post, Patrick in ruck at 185cms suggests a team of midgets.

What we all need to understand is that the game as it's played up in the Territory is a distant cousin of that which we see at elite AFL level. The games from the Alice Springs region that were shown recently on NITV and those which Jimmy and his group caught up with this week are of a mixed social and sporting nature. 

The ones in the NTFL are more professional but they still retain a wholesome down to earth flavour. The all round skills might not be there in every player going around but there are a lot of gems among them and, in many ways, they show up their more professional cousins with their capacity to play with enormous endeavour, application and sheer love of the game. 

I've already commented on the differing body shapes of the players, some coming from the desert and others from coastal rain forest areas. These people don't have Lexus Centres, gyms, the medical facilities, dieticians or lots of money and time to spend to make their bodies look like modern prototypes of AFL players. Still, the more gifted among them can do things at this level that are beyond our imagination. 

Someone who's 185cm with talent, ability and a big spring can play ruck in the NTFL but if you take him into an AFL environment, you might have a perfect high half forward if he can adapt as some clubs are obviously hoping with Liam Patrick. 

I'd like to think that Melbourne, having the experience of learning with and from Liam Jurrah (especially after last week's important visit to Yuendumu) would have an edge over the others in this area.

Finally, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the player whose football ability impressed me the most of those involved in the games in the Red Centre was Troy Taylor, who despite his well documented troubles, must be a very good chance to be drafted in the top 25. 

sounds like if melbourne want him they will have to take him at 34. Hawthorn's first pick is 39

Thats if he still there? North are intrested aswell. If they let him though, than MFC should take him at 34. Wouldn't take him with a higher pick than that.

I agree I really hope we get him with 34 I think that x factor can never be underestimated! I wonder if jims group had a chance to meet him? Interesting how clubs are going hard overseas recruiting when these guys with so much talent are under our noses!

Would love the draft to end up with Scully and Trengrove at 1 and 2, Carlise or best available KPP at 11, Troy Taylor at 18, Liam Patrick at 34, Dylan Grimes at 50

Would love that draft! maybe another mid at 11 seeing as last 3 are all talls

Patrick at 185cms is hardly a tall.

Just watched the highlights package on youtube. He is definitely exciting but a very rough diamond and not as clean in skill as our Liam. I would think way too big a punt at 34 but possible at 50 or definitely rookie if there.

Got to agree with that, but I think even pick 50 is a stretch.

Also note from the footage how many times he looks for, and finds the other aboriginal boy, number 18?! There's that uncanny connection between the "brothers" and I'd just love to see it with Liam and Liam!?

Edited by Demonator

Whoa. Just watched the footage. He is long way off AFL level.

Pick 50 please. nothing higher.

just get him. get him on the list and develop him in the afl environment. there is a lot to like about him and i think pick 34 will need to be used to grab him. him and jurrah working together. did you see that attempted mark!? the athleticism of the man.

Whoa. Just watched the footage. He is long way off AFL level.

Pick 50 please. nothing higher.

He stands out against some pretty poor opposition but makes some fundamental skill errors such as dropping simple marks but he is worth a look as a rookie or pick 50, certainly shows a bit. He is sooo thin.

To me he sounds like this year's massively overhyped average player. There's one every year. I guess we'll see. He's a late rookie selection at best though I think.

One thing is for sure though, at 185cms he's never going to be a ruckman or a KPP.

Here's an interesting interview featuring the Lightning Bolt and his containing a quote from the Warlpiri Warrior:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2009/11/20/2749391.htm

Just to bring everybody up to date, here's a paragraph from today's NT News from a report on yesterday's Wanderers v Darwin game won by Liam's team which lifted them back into the top 5:

Wanderers did wake from its slumber to boot six goals to one in the second term when Tim Karpany, Paul Grant and best on ground Liam Patrick created several scoring chances for resting ruckmen Christian Schild and Brad Stephensen.

If we end up drafting him, I'm tipping he'll get the number 48.

To me he sounds like this year's massively overhyped average player. There's one every year. I guess we'll see. He's a late rookie selection at best though I think.

One thing is for sure though, at 185cms he's never going to be a ruckman or a KPP.

Agree.

From limited footage seen he looks raw and wont be a ruck in the AFL.

Agree.

From limited footage seen he looks raw and wont be a ruck in the AFL.

Oh Rhino - please! Quality of posts not quantity! Of course he won't ruck in AFL but the fact he is chosen to ruck in his league indicates his athletic abilty. I wouldn't think we'd pick him in our first 4 picks but he will play AFL. Definite possibilty at 34 if available though.

• 3 weeks later...