Pick 11

Ryan Dee

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happens if someone like cunnington or stevens etc slips to 11?

Do we take what wouLD be best available or take a KPF

Best available, no doubt.

Geez, imagine if we could get Scully, Trengove AND Martin/Cunnington/Rohan/Lucas/Morabito/Talia...

Good result.

We could pick up our KPF with this pick. Butcher/Panos/Carlisle/Grittiths.

Others i think we may be interested in at 11 or 18 - Jetta, Ah Chee, Vardy

I know about Butcher.

But could we have some information about these other players?

Having picks 1, 2, 11 and 18 (all in the top 20!) is a fantastic coup for the Melbourne Demons.

Hawthorn had a similar scenario back in the 2004 Draft didn't they?

I know about Butcher.

But could we have some information about these other players?

Got some info on some of them thanks to BigFooty/Demonland/YouTube

Ben Griffiths (Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro) – 198cm, 99kg

He looks to have excellent pack and contested marking skills aided by his strong pair of hands overhead combined with his above average height and weight for a KF, attack on the contest, long arms and big vertical leap, as well as an absolutely thumping 60m right foot kick (including a very efficient set shot technique), above average pace for his height, good mobility and clean hands at ground level, very quick feeding ability coupled with good vision and timing. He also graduated from the AIS-AFL academy last year.

Has got questions marks because he has been injured a fair bit recently.

Demonland Thread Griffiths

Matthew Panos (S.A)- 193cm, 80kg

Leading goal kicker in championships.

He's a smart player, he's good below his knees, and he's a good field kick as well as a good set shot.

Reminds me of D.Bradshaw.

Daniel Talia - 195cm, 80kg - 2 Oct 91 - Calder Cannons

One of the best KPP's and the best defender in the draft IMO. Was named as the CHB in the Under 18's AA Team but the thing is he isn't just pinned down in that one position, he is very versatile and can be thrown around depending on situations. At 195cm he is very nice height but will probably need a little time to fill out. His athleticism is good for someone his height, ran under 3 seconds for 20m and 10.30 for 3km at the age of 17. Hard worker who doesn't give up once the ball hits the ground, is very composed with the ball and quick off the mark. Doesn't panic, more often than not makes the right decisions and disposal is very neat. Hands seem solid and attacks contests, not afraid to put his body on the line which is something important for a KPP.

He hasn't really translated the talent into consistent performances. His Calder form has been up and down, that could be due to the chopping and changing of positions though. Finished off last year pretty well and showed some of that form in the champs this year.

Demonland Thread - Talia

Jake Carlisle (Calder Cannons) - 196cm (I think)

Only started playing AFL recently.

He has beautiful hands and is a very neat kick at goal and has a lot of development still in his body. He moves well and he is improving his skils at ground level and I see a huge upside in him. I just thought at this stage of the draft that the Demons should stockpile another key position player rather than continue to go for mids.

Lewis Jetta - 178cm 72kg - Swan Districts (WA)

Firstly, the drawbacks :

(1) He is a mature age player turning 19 - 20 this year.

(2) Slight build and only 180cm so projects as a wingman at AFL level

(3) The interview with Lewis and his brother Graham suggested that he is a quiet kind of guy.

The positives:

(1) Pace and agility to burn and knows how to use it

(2) Generally skillful and knows how to kick goals running at full tilt

(3) Has been playing on the wing at WAFL level and doesn't seem to lack the endurance to play midfield full time.

Demonland Thread - Jetta

BigFooty Thread - Jetta

Nathan Vardy (Gippsland Power) - 198cm 86kg Ruckman/KPP

His leap and tap work at the stoppages was outstanding. He gave his little blokes an armchair ride got good hands and used the ball very effectively. One to watch come draft day.

Grown to 201cm and must of put on 2 or 3 kg of pure muscle

BigFooty Thread - Vardy

I just realised that the getting of national draft selection # 11 is going to make 26 November an even more exciting night for Demon fans especially given these comments as reported by Greg Denham in today's Australian newspaper:-

"Melbourne chief executive Cameron Schwab said yesterday his club was "probably" going to retain selections one, two, 11 and 18, for the last uncompromised draft for several years due to the generous concessions awarded to the Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney for their AFL start-ups."

Just imagine the Foxtel telecast that night. The top 10 picks will be done before the programme starts and then they're supposed to be showing a countdown of selections 10 to 1. And all the time while this is taking place, Melbourne supporters will be well aware that when the drafting resumes, we have the next pick at 11 with another to come not long after at 18. Barry Prendergast and his team will have plenty of time to discuss and decide upon selection 11 as well.

This all makes for exciting viewing for Melbourne fans. I wasn't sold on the countback idea when I first heard about it but the concept has certainly grown on me now.

Things can change quickly but the MFC have publicly stated many times that it intends to rebuild through the draft.

I completely agree with this.

Carlton are consigned to that 5 - 8 spot. Judd will win enough games for them to ensure crap draft picks for a while and then there is GC and WS to make picks rare as hens teeth anyway.

If we get talia ill be really happy, in his highlights he was really versatile, tbh i saw a bit of jack watts in him from what i saw of the Under 18s.

Maybe that was just me.

That was my first thought. You weren't the only one.

That was my first thought. You weren't the only one.

I'm starting to seriously doubt he'll still be available at this stage though.

It was always a long-shot that he'd be left on the board at pick 18, but even at 11 there's a fair chance he'll be gone.

Got some info on some of them thanks to BigFooty/Demonland/YouTube

Ben Griffiths (Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro) – 198cm, 99kg

He looks to have excellent pack and contested marking skills aided by his strong pair of hands overhead combined with his above average height and weight for a KF, attack on the contest, long arms and big vertical leap, as well as an absolutely thumping 60m right foot kick (including a very efficient set shot technique), above average pace for his height, good mobility and clean hands at ground level, very quick feeding ability coupled with good vision and timing. He also graduated from the AIS-AFL academy last year.

Has got questions marks because he has been injured a fair bit recently.

Demonland Thread Griffiths

Matthew Panos (S.A)- 193cm, 80kg

Leading goal kicker in championships.

He's a smart player, he's good below his knees, and he's a good field kick as well as a good set shot.

Reminds me of D.Bradshaw.

Daniel Talia - 195cm, 80kg - 2 Oct 91 - Calder Cannons

One of the best KPP's and the best defender in the draft IMO. Was named as the CHB in the Under 18's AA Team but the thing is he isn't just pinned down in that one position, he is very versatile and can be thrown around depending on situations. At 195cm he is very nice height but will probably need a little time to fill out. His athleticism is good for someone his height, ran under 3 seconds for 20m and 10.30 for 3km at the age of 17. Hard worker who doesn't give up once the ball hits the ground, is very composed with the ball and quick off the mark. Doesn't panic, more often than not makes the right decisions and disposal is very neat. Hands seem solid and attacks contests, not afraid to put his body on the line which is something important for a KPP.

He hasn't really translated the talent into consistent performances. His Calder form has been up and down, that could be due to the chopping and changing of positions though. Finished off last year pretty well and showed some of that form in the champs this year.

Demonland Thread - Talia

Jake Carlisle (Calder Cannons) - 196cm (I think)

Only started playing AFL recently.

He has beautiful hands and is a very neat kick at goal and has a lot of development still in his body. He moves well and he is improving his skils at ground level and I see a huge upside in him. I just thought at this stage of the draft that the Demons should stockpile another key position player rather than continue to go for mids.

Lewis Jetta - 178cm 72kg - Swan Districts (WA)

Firstly, the drawbacks :

(1) He is a mature age player turning 19 - 20 this year.

(2) Slight build and only 180cm so projects as a wingman at AFL level

(3) The interview with Lewis and his brother Graham suggested that he is a quiet kind of guy.

The positives:

(1) Pace and agility to burn and knows how to use it

(2) Generally skillful and knows how to kick goals running at full tilt

(3) Has been playing on the wing at WAFL level and doesn't seem to lack the endurance to play midfield full time.

Demonland Thread - Jetta

BigFooty Thread - Jetta

Nathan Vardy (Gippsland Power) - 198cm 86kg Ruckman/KPP

His leap and tap work at the stoppages was outstanding. He gave his little blokes an armchair ride got good hands and used the ball very effectively. One to watch come draft day.

Grown to 201cm and must of put on 2 or 3 kg of pure muscle

BigFooty Thread - Vardy

Thank you for all the information Davis333. :)

Who would you personally prefer out of those guys?

I think we need to take a Key Position Forward or a Key Position Defender.

Nevertheless, it should be "best player available" for the MFC.

Edited by Supreme_Demon

I just realised that the getting of national draft selection # 11 is going to make 26 November an even more exciting night for Demon fans

I wonder if anyone here felt the same, but after getting three picks inside the top twenty in 2008 I really thought; great we're off now, stacked up with some talent, some deadwood cut from the list, we are away. I was happy, whilst still knowing we had plenty of holes in our list, a season or two of pain and plenty of hard work ahead of us.

Then heading into the trade/draft period now, we have four picks inside the top 20! I'm just thinking wow! Imagine the talent we are going to acquire in this draft alone! It's really exciting, I'm so happy with the direction of the club at the moment. I have suspended my desire to rule the competition just for the moment, although I will be expecting a few wins especially in the second half of the season. I know we have a long hard road ahead, but it feels good even in the throws of an emotional period for the club, to be supporting the club.

7 top 20 picks inside 2 years. I don't know what this equates to exactly, but I bet it is going to be an exciting and certainly fascinating time for the club and the tragics like myself that love it.

Go Dees!

Thank you for all the information Davis333. :)

Who would you personally prefer out of those guys?

I wouldn't really value my opinion much, I've been living in london for the past year and have never seen the players in the flesh.

All the info I have gotten has been from other people on website forums and youtube vids.

Saying that however -

Out of the players I listed. Panos and Talia are the ones who warrant being picked up with pick 11. Everyone else could slide to 18.

I would be tempted to take Talia first. He can play either end, and he is Victorian.

Then again, I think Panos would be a better forward.