Shaun Burgoyne walks out on Port Adelaide

Jarka

Hawthorn have one player over 28 on their list.

I'm not sure their salary cap would be any more restricted than Carlton's, Hawthorn's or Geelong's - and would probably be far less restricted.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hawthorn can't afford to trade for every player they've been linked to (Sandilands, Gibson, Burgoyne, Lake, Seaby etc.). If I was Hawthorn I'd be more worried about getting a key defender than another midfielder. With Mitchell, Sewell, Rioli, Bateman, Lewis, Hodge in that team, mids aren't really what's needed.

Having said that, Hawthorn have said they're prepared to trade pick 9. If they want him, they have the power to get him.

Croad could be gone before next season if injury doesnt heal

To be honest I can't see the club being prepared to give up enough for Burgoyne to get him to Melbourne in a trade... The only way he's getting to Melbourne is in the PSD... If he doesn't get traded in trade week, then he has to consider either re-signing with Port, or trying his luck in the draft where he'd likely end up at Melbourne...

1 thing that people are forgetting is that this year if a player & the clubs dont agree on a trade he can then nominate for the national draft which is before the PSD.That would count us out then id say cos we wouldnt be picking him instead of Scully.If he dosnt get picked in the national draft then he can go in the PSD.But Ports football manager has said if hes still there at theyre number 8 pick they would re draft him.Hawthorn is Burgoynes 1st choice but they have pick 9 after Port & Port said they would want more than Hawks pick 9 for a fair deal.This could all get messy but id say we have no chance now

It was mentioned this morning on SEN's 'Hungry For Sport' that Bailey is interested in trading for Shaun Burgoyne.

Apparently he isn't well liked at Port and has found himself on the outer of the playing group. No doubt he's a gun player but do we want someone who is disruptive around our young group?

Having said that though, if he managed to slip through to the preseason draft as Nick Stevens did after Port wouldn't trade him to Collingwood I would gladly take him.

What are your thoughts?

Michaelangelo Rucci was also on with KB and he says the word coming out of Alberton is his knees are stuffed, So no thanks. How old is he anyway? Must be late 20's

1 thing that people are forgetting is that this year if a player & the clubs dont agree on a trade he can then nominate for the national draft which is before the PSD....

When did this all happen?? I only went away for a year! So instead of going to PSD they go into national draft, if not picked up then into the PSD?

If he's nominated Hawthorn, I'd imagine the only way he's even remotely a chance to fall to the PSD is if the Hawks absolutely refuse to trade pick nine, which I can't see them doing. I wouldn't pay much attention to any rumblings that Port won't do a trade unless it's for something better than pick 9; theres no way in hell Port are stupid enough to knock back a top ten pick out of sheer principle.

To be honest, Port would probably be relieved he picked Hawthorn; pick 9 is absolutely as early a draft pick as you're going to get this year, even for Shaun Burgoyne. Throw in a half-decent player, and suddenly Port haven't come out of this too badly.

I hope Port Adelaide plays hard-ball and he slips into the draft, picking him up with pick #1 in the PSD would be a massive bargain.

and if he doesnt we should not offer pick 1 or 2. so if comes down to pick 18 and a player that means first 3 picks on mids , what about another forward or ruckman. PSD or nothing.

1 thing that people are forgetting is that this year if a player & the clubs dont agree on a trade he can then nominate for the national draft which is before the PSD.That would count us out then id say cos we wouldnt be picking him instead of Scully.If he dosnt get picked in the national draft then he can go in the PSD.But Ports football manager has said if hes still there at theyre number 8 pick they would re draft him.Hawthorn is Burgoynes 1st choice but they have pick 9 after Port & Port said they would want more than Hawks pick 9 for a fair deal.This could all get messy but id say we have no chance now

I know nothing of this - reference?

That's why he won't nominate for the National draft. It will get messy cause he is their best player. If I was Port I would want a top 5 pick for our best player especially considering a lot of people think the quality is quite thin after pick 6. I think we are in the box seat with our PSD pick the only problems are (and they are pretty big problems) can we pay for his asking price and can we convince him that we can have a crack at the flag in a few years time when he is still in his prime. We won't be the basket case that we were at the end of last year so hopefully he can see that.

'98 RECRUITS

JOHNSTONE, WHITE AND SHANAHAN

COMING BACK FROM INJURY

LYON, SCHWARZ AND TINGAY

'10 RECRUITS

SCULLY, TRENGROVE, BURGOYNE?

COMING BACK FROM INJURY

WONAEAMIRRI AND GARLAND

SHOULD BE ABLE TO HAVE A PRE SEASON

JURRAH, WATTS, MCLEAN

If we can get Burgoyne I can see us improving '98 like.

You can only go into the November National Draft if you are delisted before then.

Contracts that are not deleted last until December when the PSD is.

Burgoyne will be traded to Hawthorn, resigned at PA, or go into the PSD.

Someone should be chatting up Pearce's manager.

Burgoyne shortlists three clubs

Never mind. Here it is. Amazing, he's short listed three clubs and we haven't yet reached the Prelim's. Judd's got nothing on him.

Lucky for him we're on the bottom of the heap. By being happy to play for us and nominating us as one option, he's basically ensured he'll be traded to whichever club it is he truly prefers.

I'm sure he does want Port to be "adequately compensated", but the situation now places the pressure on Port to accept whatever is offered to them.

I'm all for acquiring Burgoyne - preferably through the PSD (though pick 18 would be excellent for us) and something tells me that's the only way we'll land him.

Have a feeling he has already decided where he wants his career to continue and it isn't us, but by being "happy" to land at Melbourne it removes the incentive for Port to be "tough" ala the Stevens trade.

Edited by Ho Chi Dee

Not just that but it says up to 600K for 4 years!!!!!

I've gone pretty cold on this one unless something changes.

Yeah, but the key words is "up to." It could be $500Kp/year for 3 years.

Edited by High Tower

Hawks, Essendon, Melbourne.

The 3 Victorian clubs that have a lot of indigenous players.

I reakon we would be the third choice out of the three.

Realisticly we would have to give up 18 + a player. Im not sure if im prepared to do that this year.

Would be awesome to get him in the PSD.

Hawks, Essendon, Melbourne.

The 3 Victorian clubs that have a lot of indigenous players.

I reakon we would be the third choice out of the three.

Realisticly we would have to give up 18 + a player. Im not sure if im prepared to do that this year.

Would be awesome to get him in the PSD.

Gee, that article makes us really sound like the front runners for this guy!

remembered the Bailey connection, but didnt even know about Davey..

Yeah, $1.5 over 3 yrs sounds good.. re-assess after that.. ;)

Edited by DemonDan...

Burgoyne shortlists three clubs

Never mind. Here it is. Amazing, he's short listed three clubs and we haven't yet reached the Prelim's. Judd's got nothing on him.

Has all the hallmarks of a feed from his manager to the journalist.

I think MFC is in the mix to prevent the Port hardball game.

I doubt whether he is interested in MFC and given the concerns over his knee given the bandied contract $$$$, I doubt whether I am interested.