Melbourne eyes Tom Scully

cooko

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tab...15/default.aspx

MELBOURNE coach Dean Bailey has hinted strongly that the club would select outstanding young Dandenong Stingrays midfielder Tom Scully with one of its first two picks in November's NAB AFL Draft.

The Demons have now secured the No.1 and No.2 picks in the meeting, after finishing bottom on the ladder and claiming fewer than 16 points on the ladder in the past two seasons.

Speaking at his final post-match media conference for 2009, following St Kilda's 47-point win over Melbourne, Bailey said with a smile that one of the two picks would definitely be a midfielder.

"I think one of them will certainly be a small – a midfielder," he said.

As for whether both picks would be used on midfielders, Bailey said: "It's a long way, away and we'll have to grin and bear it."

"I would've thought a good midfielder will help us."

Other players likely to be in the mix for Melbourne, with pick two, include South Australian Jack Trengove, Western Australian Anthony Morabito and Victorian John Butcher.

Although the losing margin wasn't flattering, it wasn't a true indication of Melbourne's solid effort against the minor premiers. Melbourne trailed by just 16 points at the 20-minute mark of the final term, before St Kilda slammed on five in a row.

Bailey was pleased his charges took it right up to the Saints for much of the match.

"Some of our players showed in the first half … almost three [quarters] I reckon that we can match it with the best team in the competition," he said.

"I thought we moved the ball reasonably well with some crisp handball."

Bailey paid tribute to three departing Demons – Russell Robertson, Paul Wheatley and Matthew Whelan.

"Russell, Paul and Wheels have been great servants of the Melbourne footy club. They've been outstanding and they are great people once you get to know them – they're terrific blokes," he said.

"It was nice to see Paul Wheatley kick a goal and it was great to see Robbo kick a goal … luckily [brock] McLean handballed it too him, which was a good decision by Brock to handball it to him. He worked pretty hard Robbo.

"It would've been nice for Wheels to have a shot at goal – he was fairly keen to … but for all three to get through the game and contribute at different stages is important as well, in their last game for Melbourne."

Despite claiming successive wooden spoons, Bailey is excited about the developing youngsters and the off-field situation of the club.

"We ticked over 31,000 members and we've finished last the last two years – I think that is an exceptional opportunity," he said.

"If we get all 31,500 or 32,000 thousand at the MCG, I'd spend a week or two to thank every one of them – they've just been unbelievable for us.

"It's been an incredible show of faith in the football club – in everyone who is involved in it – and that's a great platform to build from as well, so there are exciting times ahead."

As for a possible contract extension post-2010, Bailey said with a smile: "The longer the better, that'd be fantastic."

Just give him the jumper now and tell him to report to pre season training in October. He is a lock in!

hahaha yeah, good feeling to be able to say that.

Also i was thinking the same thing about training, be good if we could.

hahaha yeah, good feeling to be able to say that.

Also i was thinking the same thing about training, be good if we could.

The AFL will raise questions, but Dean could just say that he was at the right places at the right time. Total coincidence, for 2 months.

Edited by Demon Disciple

Who was the woman in the crowd that Robbo hugged after his goal? Did he know her, or did he just pick her out?

And to receive Brock's handball, he actually had to outpace Montagna, too. Had no idea he was such a speedster.

And loved it that Wheats got mobbed after his goal - a great "give-and-shepherd" by young Jake too.

Who was the woman in the crowd that Robbo hugged after his goal? Did he know her, or did he just pick her out?

... Jaded, did you go the grope..?

And to receive Brock's handball, he actually had to outpace Montagna, too. Had no idea he was such a speedster.

Neither did he, I bet.

Edited by Enforcer25

LOL

This must just be part and parcel of being a female on D'land.

Well, that and the fact she's a well-documented Robbo lover.

Much like 45hotgod16 would've heard about it if Wheels hugged someone in the crowd.

It wasn't intended to be sexist in any way. B)

Maybe its just me...but i definitely got the idea that Bailey's quite keen to get two mids with those two picks...he's just being coy about saying it yet just in case some one else makes a move to emulate cream.

Well surely the MFC would already be talking to Scully...wording him up.. making a few this'n'that sugestions re diet and gym etc.

Maybe its just me...but i definitely got the idea that Bailey's quite keen to get two mids with those two picks...he's just being coy about saying it yet just in case some one else makes a move to emulate cream.

Well surely the MFC would already be talking to Scully...wording him up.. making a few this'n'that sugestions re diet and gym etc.

Weeks or even months ago I would've thought.

And I think you're right about Bailey's wants.

I think he's the type of bloke that would take sick pleasure in keeping the other teams guessing.

Well, that and the fact she's a well-documented Robbo lover.

Much like 45hotgod16 would've heard about it if Wheels hugged someone in the crowd.

It wasn't intended to be sexist in any way. B)

I had a good laugh when I saw it, dont worry I know it's all in good fun ;)

And loved it that Wheats got mobbed after his goal - a great "give-and-shepherd" by young Jake too.

Ummm....wrong thread?

Just give him the jumper now and tell him to report to pre season training in October. He is a lock in!

Yep, and give Bailey the extension - just for adhering to the "no more than 4 policy"... :D

34,000 members is on the cards for next season IMO.

Maybe its just me...but i definitely got the idea that Bailey's quite keen to get two mids with those two picks...

me too..

and the way he said at least a small mid, made me think the other one might be a tall mid

like Morabito.. heres hoping anyway ;)

Still, as someone posted, butcher - 4 gls on the weekend..

34,000 members is on the cards for next season IMO.

Whoa! a bit too optimistic for mine. I say we will get around the 31k - 32k members like we did this year. Which is still very good, given we had never had above 30,000 members before this year.

It's a shame that all don't show up on a regular basis.

Just had another look at Tom Scully's highlights for Vic Metro v's South Australia and the more I see him, the more I am convinced he will be a magnificent pick up for the MFC.Fantastic in traffic,great motor,sensation handball and I'm sure his kicking will improve.

Another player that flashed in and out of these highlights and looked pretty impressive to me was No. 6 for Vic Metro.Quick,hard working and looked an excellent kick.

Excuse my lack of knowledge of the U18's, but who is this player?

Hmm... regarding the membership numbers, and the comment that it would be nice if they all turn up - I think the progress next year will be in attendences more than in memberships. I guess I'm thinking ' it will be nice when they all turn up'.

But back to Scully. Given the kid is already established as a determined trainer, diligent and keen to learn, I reckon the club could quite easily just drop him a few basic tips on methods and how drills work at the club, maybe point him to a personal trainer/weights program of a friend of a friend of a current physical prep coach, that sort of thing. It'd be all he'd need to get him into the right structures.

And for the record, I've never been quite happy with people comparing him to Chris Judd, though I understand it's more a matter of 'level of impact expected' than style that people are referring to.

From the various pieces of footage that I've seen, and the descriptions of people who know better, he seems more of the Ben Cousins type of player, run all day, make smart extractions or be the second handball from a ruck contest that gets it open, run all day some more, navigate cleanly from congestion, spot teammates in better positions, all of that. Besides, Judd is overrated these days, anyway.

Whoa! a bit too optimistic for mine. I say we will get around the 31k - 32k members like we did this year. Which is still very good, given we had never had above 30,000 members before this year.

It's a shame that all don't show up on a regular basis.

You're right, I'm optimistic. :lol:

I just think with Draft picks 1 & 2, and with a bit of marketing and promotion, it will have a knock on effect (dare I say it.........a snow ball effect.. :lol: ), and translate to improved membership sales. We went from 29K+ up to 31,508 on the back of last draft, so I'm expecting an increase again. :D I don't think 34,000 is beyond our reach.

Go dees!

PS. Let's not forget the Liam Jurrah factor either!

Edited by High Tower

Just had another look at Tom Scully's highlights for Vic Metro v's South Australia and the more I see him, the more I am convinced he will be a magnificent pick up for the MFC.Fantastic in traffic,great motor,sensation handball and I'm sure his kicking will improve.

Another player that flashed in and out of these highlights and looked pretty impressive to me was No. 6 for Vic Metro.Quick,hard working and looked an excellent kick.

Excuse my lack of knowledge of the U18's, but who is this player?

If he had a thumping lick and a mop of blonde hair not too dissimilar to Daniel Rich, that's probably Ben Toy. Aka GC 17's marquee signing so far.

Edited by ChaserJ