The Jack Trengove thread

H_T

I wouldn't let go of Jones. His kicking really improved the last 5-6 games of the season.

I agree. Jones can also kick a long goal and isn't weak above his head. McLean is the one I see as the weak link. He has the least versitility of a player on our list. He can only play through the middle, although Bails tried him in the back pocket towards the end of the season. I'd be getting rid of McLean before Newton TBH.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Video highlights of the game:

http://sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/955/

Cheers for that. They play Woodville-West Torrens in the 1st semi this week coming. I want more..more.. ;)

Reminds me of Cotchin, so composed and silky.

I keep thinking Michael Voss. Just that strength overhead and in the contest, and the ability to lift his game when the contest is red hot. That's just an invaluable ablility, especially come finals time.

Yeah, I see a bit of Voss when he kicked that goal. Nice left footer too. Some good comparisons from you guys....ie Cotchin, Voss.

Anyone else noticed that two of our potential picks for 1 & 2 are currently being coached by MFC oldboys? Scully by Yeats and Trengove by Luke Norman. An omen perhaps?

Perhaps. Fingers crossed.

When I see this footage I don't want the club to deal with pick 2 in trade week. Other clubs will be keen to throw the bait out for a nibble at a top draft pick. But it has to be good bait IMO. With regard to Burgoyne, I'd be fine with him, but only via the PSD. The Mfc needs to be cool & calculated. A guy like Trengove or Morabito would have 12-13+ years at the club.

I agree. Jones can also kick a long goal and isn't weak above his head. McLean is the one I see as the weak link. He has the least versitility of a player on our list. He can only play through the middle, although Bails tried him in the back pocket towards the end of the season. I'd be getting rid of McLean before Newton TBH.

What?!

Yeah, I see a bit of Voss when he kicked that goal. Nice left footer too. Some good comparisons from you guys....ie Cotchin, Voss.

Its not like people are going to come out and compare him to bloody Aaron Fiora... :P

What?!

As strange as it may sound, Newton has more upside than McLean, as far as I'm concerned. Newton needs to work on his kicking, as he could still play a role within our forwardline, if he gets some confidence up. McLean's lack of both pace and decision making does not stand up in modern football. If Sydney were interested in trading their firstround pick (which I highly doubt they are), I'd certainly think about it.

As strange as it may sound, Newton has more upside than McLean, as far as I'm concerned. Newton needs to work on his kicking, as he could still play a role within our forwardline, if he gets some confidence up. McLean's lack of both pace and decision making does not stand up in modern football. If Sydney were interested in trading their firstround pick (which I highly doubt they are), I'd certainly think about it.

:blink::lol:

He does have more up side.... farr farr more upside, but then again it is hard not to have more upside than the majority of players currently on AFL lists when you're coming from so far back. He is a player I have plumped for getting as many games into him this season as possible, even though he is still relatively young for a tall fellow the lack of improvement is still there.

His efforts off the ball, his tackles and chases, the 1%ers have increased no doubt but his skills have gone backwards.

Yeah ok. Let's ignore the fact Mclean won a final off his own boot when we needed it back in 2006, at the ripe old age of 20. Let's ignore the fact he is a leader and possible future captain of the club. Let's ignore the fact that he has been our best midfielder and tagged since an insanely young age. Let's ignore the fact he played injured this year, and was average by the high standards he's set thus far.

...He still played though :P Mclean half fit was still worth more to the side than a fully fit Newton. All these issues with speed I'm hearing are stupid. Brock has never been the quickest player, but he had a limited preseason coming off a serious ankle injury. Ofcourse he wasn't going to come out running people off their feet! I know for a fact that early on in the year he was getting jabs to get through games, which meant his foot was numb and his kicking and running suffered, exactly like Brad Green in 2007. If Brock gets a preseason under his belt, he will tear it up next year. I cant believe the amount of sh*t I'm reading about him on here. He was the poster boy here for years until recently where he has suffered from loss of form due to injury and fitness.

Newton on the other hand will likely be delisted end of next season. He couldnt even cement a spot in the bottom placed, double wooden spoon winning team, that has a clear lack of key forwards. That is how well he is traveling, and how much upside the club sees in him. Unless he miraculously transforms overnight, he will be gone. There is no way a team could win a premiership with Newton up forward.

NOW AS FOR TRENGOVE

He looks great. I've been on his bandwagon for a while, as I don't think Morabito has the skills to warrant pick 2. I wouldn't compare Trengove to Voss though. Voss was tough as nails, and laid big hits. Trengove is not like that. He himself says the hard stuff doesn't come naturally to him, and he's having to force/learn how to cope with it. He is very well rounded as a player, but for his earlier years will be more outside, likely playing on a HFF. He is a goal kicker, which we lack, so having him play as a HFF while he gets experience and lets his body mature before a fulltime shift into midfield will be the path the club will take with him (if selected).

Wish the draft was tomorrow. I hate waiting and reading all the tripe people come up with!

Yeah ok. Let's ignore the fact Mclean won a final off his own boot when we needed it back in 2006, at the ripe old age of 20. Let's ignore the fact he is a leader and possible future captain of the club. Let's ignore the fact that he has been our best midfielder and tagged since an insanely young age. Let's ignore the fact he played injured this year, and was average by the high standards he's set thus far.

It's a crime that you don't post here more often.

High five to you my good sir :lol:

So you don't rate McLean (understatement of the effing century... millenium even, and it's early!) but you would like Pick 6 for him...

Right...

What do we have?

Sea Bass?

They are mutated Sea Bass.

Are they ill-tempered?

Absolutely.

Oh well, that's a start.

Good to see you back Magic. I don't know what is more stupid. People thinking that Newton actually has ability or every in and under player will be going to the Swans. Newton has no role in our forward line, he only has a role in tanking and the tanking is over and so should Newton's career.

Good to see you back Magic. I don't know what is more stupid. People thinking that Newton actually has ability or every in and under player will be going to the Swans. Newton has no role in our forward line, he only has a role in tanking and the tanking is over and so should Newton's career.

I guess Newton does have more upside than McLean for Mfc now. ;)

So you don't rate McLean (understatement of the effing century... millenium even, and it's early!) but you would like Pick 6 for him...

Right...

What do we have?

Sea Bass?

They are mutated Sea Bass.

Are they ill-tempered?

Absolutely.

Oh well, that's a start.

Pick 11 will do me. ;)

Hope this puts a few supporters minds at rest about Trengove possibly wanting to come back to SA.Spoke to a lad today whos also going to the SA based draft screening & they both grew up in country SA & played all junior & rep footy together.They both moved to Adelaide for schooling & to pursue theyre footy careers further.While this may seem small & everyone will say its still the same state,theyre towns are actualy 4 hours away from Adelaide so its actualy quicker & easier to fly to Melb & to actualy drive from Melb is nearly the same time as driving from Adel to home.So it wont be a big step to move away & both said they will jump at it,already moved away from family so dont think it would be to big a deal

A mate of mine who played for Glenelg juniors with the likes of Gibbs and Sellar, he moved down from a station in central SA to go to boarding school and try and take himself to a serious football career.... He was actually invited to the draft camp that year, but his shoulder [censored] itself (for want of a better term) and he ended up having to have surgery.... A lot of problems with his shoulders after that pretty much ruined his career, only plays country footy now... But my point is that boys who move from the country to concentrate on their football careers in the city are desperate to succeed..... They couldn't give a toss where they play and in all honesty, He said that he would prefer to head to the heart of the footballing nation in Victoria....

Kids from the country just love their footy.... as do city kids, but country kids just have that something extra IMO...

A mate of mine who played for Glenelg juniors with the likes of Gibbs and Sellar, he moved down from a station in central SA to go to boarding school and try and take himself to a serious football career.... He was actually invited to the draft camp that year, but his shoulder [censored] itself (for want of a better term) and he ended up having to have surgery.... A lot of problems with his shoulders after that pretty much ruined his career, only plays country footy now... But my point is that boys who move from the country to concentrate on their football careers in the city are desperate to succeed..... They couldn't give a toss where they play and in all honesty, He said that he would prefer to head to the heart of the footballing nation in Victoria....

Kids from the country just love their footy.... as do city kids, but country kids just have that something extra IMO...

Exactly thats my point,hes dedicated & obviously knows what he wants.Hes already taken a big step to move from family & friends to pursue what he wants so thats why i have no doubt he wont care where he goes to or who to,the kid just wants to play at the highest level

I ended up sitting next to a person at a lunch who was close family friends with the Trengoves and comes from the same SA country town. When we started talking football and I said I was a die hard Melbourne supporter his ears pricked up. He said Jacks first choice was to play for Melbourne and was hoping to get drafted to the Dees as he saw young tallent in our list. He also said that their would be no "go home" factor as Jack came from a country town hours away from Adelaide.

Can't wait to see him in the red and blue.

Guest Watts=Saviour
I ended up sitting next to a person at a lunch who was close family friends with the Trengoves and comes from the same SA country town. When we started talking football and I said I was a die hard Melbourne supporter his ears pricked up. He said Jacks first choice was to play for Melbourne and was hoping to get drafted to the Dees as he saw young tallent in our list. He also said that their would be no "go home" factor as Jack came from a country town hours away from Adelaide.

I really, really hope that's true.

Rivers is from Country SA, I think Port Augusta, and he said he had no affinity with Adelaide and there was nothing to draw him back there.

I reckon that we have had one player do the dirty on us and have been running scared ever since, this kid will play for us, win a flag and be eternally grateful we gave him the opportunity of joining the greatest sporting club in the World.

Bit of a coincidence this one.....

Was working at a servo this morning (fixing their coolroom) and as I was getting some paperwork signed, a woman was waiting at the counter with 4 Adelaide Advertisers in her arms..... As I am a fairly "chatty" sort of bloke, I said to her "Geez.... You must really love reading!" Her reply was "My grandson wants a couple and I want one to keep as well.... They have the Sturt team photo in them.... My son is actually the coach" I said "Really, Give Luke my best wishes for Sundays GF and btw can I just say that I will be very excited if young Trengove gets picked up by Melbourne"

Her reply, "Well I think you should get prepared to be excited!"

This is all just too good to be true isn't it?!?!?! HaHa.....

Jack Trengove..... You little beauty!!!

Go Dees!