• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Vlad and Co. are a disgrace

CarnTheDees

Will be interesting to hear Andy's response to tanking this week. Completely undeniable that Bailey did everything in his power to ensure we lost today, which is a disgusting situation for any professional sport (especially where gambling is involved).

This administration has put in place a system that rewards teams for losing games, and has created a situation where the vast majority of supporters would prefer it if their team lose.

The AFL's priority is money. They have managed this competition into a position where there are strong teams and weak teams, and where the short term gains from fixture manipulation might create a few extra thousand supporters through the turnstiles but where the small teams suffer through shithouse broadcast arrangements. How is it sustainable for the smaller teams to be financially disadvantaged every year by the fixture and the TV scheduling, only for them to be propped up by the CBF?

They are inventing two new teams that will have no supporters and that will be financed by the rest of the competition for the rest of their existence. This in turn will further dilute the talent pool across the competition.

Instead of focusing on short term financial targets (gate revenue, TV) the league should be focusing on improving the 'product'. The quality of the games. The finances, attendances and ratings will follow.

Sorry for the rambled thoughts, I guess my brain is currently functioning like that of a Richmond supporter.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take away priority picks and the financially weaker clubs will be out of business in no time. They cannot put bucket loads of money into uncovering smokeys etc.

Football is more of a business than a sport.

Mind you, we did ok last draft without an endless pot of gold.

Bail is the only one with a question mark for me, and I reckon a few of our rookies are decent too

Take away priority picks and the financially weaker clubs will be out of business in no time. They cannot put bucket loads of money into uncovering smokeys etc.

I spent a great deal of my life mid 60's to mid 80's watching the Dee's get flogged week after week. I do not want another 20 years of that. I would prefer to take my chances on the draft system cycle. So i will stick my hand up in support of priorities regardless of whether the coach plays the usual full back/CHB in the forward line.

Will be interesting to hear Andy's response to tanking this week. Completely undeniable that Bailey did everything in his power to ensure we lost today, which is a disgusting situation for any professional sport (especially where gambling is involved).

This administration has put in place a system that rewards teams for losing games, and has created a situation where the vast majority of supporters would prefer it if their team lose.

The AFL's priority is money. They have managed this competition into a position where there are strong teams and weak teams, and where the short term gains from fixture manipulation might create a few extra thousand supporters through the turnstiles but where the small teams suffer through shithouse broadcast arrangements. How is it sustainable for the smaller teams to be financially disadvantaged every year by the fixture and the TV scheduling, only for them to be propped up by the CBF?

They are inventing two new teams that will have no supporters and that will be financed by the rest of the competition for the rest of their existence. This in turn will further dilute the talent pool across the competition.

Instead of focusing on short term financial targets (gate revenue, TV) the league should be focusing on improving the 'product'. The quality of the games. The finances, attendances and ratings will follow.

Sorry for the rambled thoughts, I guess my brain is currently functioning like that of a Richmond supporter.

Are you for real, who cares about the what other people think I only care what is in our best interest.

I totally agree.

I go every week and bring my 8 yr old son with me. We were cheering hard until Bailey decided to lose the game. I understand the reasons why Bailey did this (early draft picks are important) BUT what are the other costs:

(1) Financial - when supporters do not turn up because it is too hard to cheer against your team as I ended up doing today

(2) Culture - do the players now believe winning is not everything

(3) Reputation - who would want to sponsor a club that tried to lose and perhaps more importantly, will players want to come to such a club

(4) Respect - will the players lose faith in the coach

I don't know if I can go again to a game this year - too depressing. It was obvious from today the players wanted to win (reaction from a few in the last line of defence when the goal was kicked) but they were coached out of it.

I expect that Bailey needs a talking too. If we want to lose, don't play the senior players and just put out the young players and let us see the future. I expect Melbourne and Bailey will try and win next week and future weeks but will the players now?

I feel ashamed today. WCE won today and that is why they have a winning culture.

The moves to increase competitive balance (including the draft and salary cap) are vital to the strength of the competition, otherwise the AFL would be like the EPL where only a small handful of teams can win and even the biggest clubs are riddles with debt and rely on their Sugar Daddies.

The issue however, is that if the AFL want to truly have a competitive competition they must create an even draw and broadcast times as CTD mentioned.

The PP itself needs to be removed, or dramatically changed in terms of how teams are awarded them.

Did you see his pressie? Didn't do a bad job of denying it.

"Miller in the ruck?... Oh... Ummm... (eyes glaze over for a second) Oh yeah! It was a mistake... miscommunication.. Yeah. That's it. Miscommunication"...

(under his breath)

"Got outta that one."

Maybe ive got this all wrong with Vlad...maybe he HAS the answer,,, Tanking doesnt exist ( officially ) and therefore teams can play to their priorities and allow the competition to balance ..just a thought .. :unsure::unsure:

I spent a great deal of my life mid 60's to mid 80's watching the Dee's get flogged week after week. I do not want another 20 years of that. I would prefer to take my chances on the draft system cycle. So i will stick my hand up in support of priorities regardless of whether the coach plays the usual full back/CHB in the forward line.

Back when there was no salary cap and no draft(?)

Hats off to you for such a crappy comparison . . .

The AFL is stuck, it can't change the rules because so many clubs have benefitted from a PP. Would Hawthorn won the flag last year, would 3 of the top four teams this year be where they are now with out their PP, I would so no and no. The AFL can only change the rule if one year no club is eligible for a pick, it could be this year if Melb win 2 more and Freo one. The AFL doesn't want the focus on this and they would love to get rid of it but they can't because there are clubs that may win a flag this year and the next few that wouldn't be in that position with out the PP hey have received.

it could probably change when it is arbited with agreement from all clubs.. i.e change to afterround 15.etc.

Back when there was no salary cap and no draft(?)

Hats off to you for such a crappy comparison . . .

Still grumpy after the Bombers great performance hey?

I don't know why people are worried. The PP is doing exactly what it is designed to do. I don't doubt that the notion of clubs not wanting to win was discussed when it was first tabled. The reality is that if clubs do decide on that route (and we know they do) it's really not that big a deal. They will get their top picks for a year or two, then move up the table into premiership contention, clearing the way for the next team to bottom out. We are already talking about our premiership tilt in 3-4 years. Carlton (the tank team before us) are planning on being there in the next few as well. The system is working perfectly in allowing teams to rebuild and in preventing any one team from dominating for too long.

I totally agree.

I go every week and bring my 8 yr old son with me. We were cheering hard until Bailey decided to lose the game. I understand the reasons why Bailey did this (early draft picks are important) BUT what are the other costs:

(1) Financial - when supporters do not turn up because it is too hard to cheer against your team as I ended up doing today

(2) Culture - do the players now believe winning is not everything

(3) Reputation - who would want to sponsor a club that tried to lose and perhaps more importantly, will players want to come to such a club

(4) Respect - will the players lose faith in the coach

I don't know if I can go again to a game this year - too depressing. It was obvious from today the players wanted to win (reaction from a few in the last line of defence when the goal was kicked) but they were coached out of it.

I expect that Bailey needs a talking too. If we want to lose, don't play the senior players and just put out the young players and let us see the future. I expect Melbourne and Bailey will try and win next week and future weeks but will the players now?

I feel ashamed today. WCE won today and that is why they have a winning culture.

If we win the First two games next year you will be back shouting your lungs out with us all. Don't lose heart. No Pain No Gain.

I don't know why people are worried. The PP is doing exactly what it is designed to do. I don't doubt that the notion of clubs not wanting to win was discussed when it was first tabled. The reality is that if clubs do decide on that route (and we know they do) it's really not that big a deal. They will get their top picks for a year or two, then move up the table into premiership contention, clearing the way for the next team to bottom out. We are already talking about our premiership tilt in 3-4 years. Carlton (the tank team before us) are planning on being there in the next few as well. The system is working perfectly in allowing teams to rebuild and in preventing any one team from dominating for too long.

the only problem is that naturally people HATE supporting the opposition - which is what the PP makes us do. it was such a surreal game to be at.

Who would want to sponsor a club that demonstrates it does not have the business acumen to understand the system and take advantage of the benefits it has to offer.

Miller in the ruck?... Oh... Ummm... (eyes glaze over for a second) Oh yeah! It was a mistake... miscommunication.. Yeah. That's it. Miscommunication"...

This was not the first time Miller has pinch-hit in the ruck; he does it a couple of times each year.

WCE won today and that is why they have a winning culture.

On the reputation point, Chris Judd was happy to head to Carlton immediately following their 2007 nosedive.

As for West Coast's winning culture, I'd say yesterday's result was more indicative of Essendon's injury list than West Coast's ability. The Eagles had put in more suspect performances than Melbourne of late before Sunday's win. Their effort against Freo was laughable.

WCE won today and that is why they have a winning culture.

I wondered about this. To me it looked a different West Coast against Essendon than we've been accustomed to this season. It's as if they were all let off the chain, if you know what I mean.

Maybe they thought it was all too hard obtaining the PP. Afterall they still had Nth and Rich at Subi to come.

Maybe they received a call from Vlad last week.

Or maybe they all just simply pulled their finger out.

Whatever the case it was certainly a more determined Eagle outfit with good efficiency and intent this time around. 100% better than their performance against Fremantle.

Edited by High Tower

You should.

WCE have won 9 games out of 40 with 16 p'ship players on there list and you think they have a winning culture. Brilliant.

Seen better cultures in year old milk.

All of this tanking talk i purely the media twisting the perception of any actions taken by bottom teams in an attempt to sell papers.

And they are exceeding.

Nothing has happened this season that hasn't happened for the last 20-30 years, even more.

If you are a bottom team you tweak, develop and experiment until you find a combination that works and wins games.

If the result of doing that is losing a game today but winning 3 tomorrow, then thats what you do.