Jurrah V Newton

Deano74

Its only taken 4 Games for Jurrah to show what Newton hasn't in 3 years.

Marking, Kicking straight, defensive pressure and X factor.

Its only taken 4 Games for Jurrah to show what Newton hasn't in 3 years.

Marking, Kicking straight, defensive pressure and X factor.

True, but probably doesn't need it's own thread

Its more the realisation that good players stand out immediately.

Jurrahs the most recent, but Grimes, Morton, Bennell, Jetta, all have shown something with limited games.

Its more the realisation that good players stand out immediately.

Jurrahs the most recent, but Grimes, Morton, Bennell, Jetta, all have shown something with limited games.

This is true. But it's also important to remember that players develop at different rates, and some will be playing good footy at 19, while other won't start having an impact until 23 or 24. But as for Mick Newton... He's crap and he's never going to be any good at AFL-level!

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

I'm not going into bat for Newton because I don't think he has what it takes to be a forward in even a bottom team, but it is bloody unfair to compare him to Jurrah. It would be like comparing Valenti to Judd. We lucked out big time with LJ and he is a rare talent. I'm going to put what little credibility I have on the line and say that he could be the first MFC boy to break the goal kicking ton.

I'm not going into bat for Newton because I don't think he has what it takes to be a forward in even a bottom team, but it is bloody unfair to compare him to Jurrah. It would be like comparing Valenti to Judd. We lucked out big time with LJ and he is a rare talent. I'm going to put what little credibility I have on the line and say that he could be the first MFC boy to break the goal kicking ton.

Big call Rojik, but I like it. I also have my fingers crossed for him.

He is accurate, great kicking technique. Perhaps Newton should receive teaching from where the Warlpiri Wizard learnt. He might need some sunscreen though. ;)

Comparison (for the threads sake!):

Michael Newton v Liam Jurrah (Averages) - courtesy Footywire

Michael Newton----------------------------Name------------------------------------Liam Jurrah

Melbourne Demons------------------------Team------------------------------------Melbourne Demons

Forward------------------------------------Position----------------------------------Forward

18----------------------------------------Career Games-----------------------------4

Murray Bushrangers----------------------Origin------------------------------------Yuendumu Magpies

April 27,1987----------------------------Date of Birth------------------------------September 23, 1988

22yr2mth-----------------------------------Age-------------------------------------20yr 9 mth

193cm--------------------------------------Height-----------------------------------191cm (previously 188cm ;) )

90Kg----------------------------------------Weight----------------------------------78Kg

2004 National Draft--------------------Last drafted In----------------------------2008 Pre-Season Draft

Round 3, pick#43----------------------Last draft position------------------------Round 1, pick#1

Melbourne Demons----------------------Lsat Drafted By-------------------------Melbourne Demons

Career------------------------------------Stats for Season-------------------------Career

18---------------------------------------------Games-----------------------------------4

7.6----------------------------------------Kicks per Game-----------------------------6.5

1.9----------------------------------------Handballs per Game------------------------3.2

9.6----------------------------------------Disposals per Game------------------------9.8

4.2----------------------------------------Marks per Game----------------------------4.8

1.4----------------------------------------Goals per Game-----------------------------2.0

1.2----------------------------------------Behinds per Game---------------------------1.8

1.9----------------------------------------Tackles per Game---------------------------2.5

0.3----------------------------------------Hit Outs per Game---------------------------0.8

1.3----------------------------------------Frees per Game------------------------------0.5

1.0----------------------------------------Frees Against per Game---------------------0.2

Mark Of the Year(pft.)------------------Achievements to date-----------------------NAB RISING STAR NOMINATION - RD 15,2009

Edited by High Tower

The concern I have with LJ is, that as I understand it, he was given permission by his tribe to come to Melbourne and play footy. I also understand that he has been earmarked as the future tribe leader.

I don't profess to know anything about aboriginal culture or customs but does this mean he could be summoned at any time to go back home to resume his tribe duties and that the career of our champion player in the making could come to an abrupt end?

That would be amazing if he did and I wish he could, but he's probably too selfless, his eyes don't look for goal as quickly as a Fevola or Buddy

The concern I have with LJ is, that as I understand it, he was given permission by his tribe to come to Melbourne and play footy. I also understand that he has been earmarked as the future tribe leader.

I don't profess to know anything about aboriginal culture or customs but does this mean he could be summoned at any time to go back home to resume his tribe duties and that the career of our champion player in the making could come to an abrupt end?

We got him as PSD#1.

There a number of players picked from the PSD that never even cut a game in AFL.

He deserves his opportunity at AFL and whatever his life will take him.

I love what he brings to the side and the celebration this he is of himself and the wonderful people he represents.

LJ was on 3AW the other night and he advised that he already is a tribal leader in his community. He advised that his achievements to date have had a very strong impact back home including creating aspirations and pride in the younger people many of whom now walk around calling themselves "Liam Jurrah".

Like any player who is close to his family who are situated some distance from Melbourne there are often go home issues. Thats life.

Lets just enjoy a fantastic athlete on the main stage.

Pello. Don;t worry! From here in Yuendumu, and Yuendumu Footy Club, we can tell you that Liam is in Melbourne on Warlpiri business, with the full support of his community. And that is for as long as he wants it, which we know he wants to be 10-15 years of AFL footy for the Dees. He won;t be being pulled back to Yuendumu we are immensely proud of what he is doing and the leadership and inspiration he is showing to all Warlpiri youth by being in Melbourne. He is a fantastic role model for all remote Indigenous youth who can dare to dream, work hard and hold faith to make their dreams come true.....There is no better way for him to serve his community and tribe than what he is doing in Melbourne and the honourable and joyous way he is doing it.

And we also know that with the support he is receiving down there from RudeBoy, Rupert B, and Melbourne FC (especially Aaron, Aussie, Wheels and Ian Flack, Dean Bailey) that he is very happy. They are all part of our Warlpiri family.

GO JUKURTAYI! ALL YUENDUMU PROUD!

Pello. Don;t worry! From here in Yuendumu, and Yuendumu Footy Club, we can tell you that Liam is in Melbourne on Warlpiri business, with the full support of his community. And that is for as long as he wants it, which we know he wants to be 10-15 years of AFL footy for the Dees. He won;t be being pulled back to Yuendumu we are immensely proud of what he is doing and the leadership and inspiration he is showing to all Warlpiri youth by being in Melbourne. He is a fantastic role model for all remote Indigenous youth who can dare to dream, work hard and hold faith to make their dreams come true.....There is no better way for him to serve his community and tribe than what he is doing in Melbourne and the honourable and joyous way he is doing it.

And we also know that with the support he is receiving down there from RudeBoy, Rupert B, and Melbourne FC (especially Aaron, Aussie, Wheels and Ian Flack, Dean Bailey) that he is very happy. They are all part of our Warlpiri family.

Wow - what a great response - thank you!

That's so reassuring as I think LJ could become an AFL elite player if he continues to develop and work hard. From an outsider looking in it seems Aaron Davey in particular is to be congratulated for the support and mentoring he is giving Liam.

Fantastic!!

Dean Bailey is part of the Warlpiri family........awesome!

The confidence is the thing I love about LJ.

Whatever he does, he just turns and celebrates like he's not surprised at his own skill.

His handball to Moloney and his setups for two Petterd goals were just as impressive as the goals he kicked himself.

I, personally, think he will be too selfless to kick a hundred, but I know a bloke called Jack who would appreciate the gifts he shall receive for the next decade.

Its not arrogance is it.. its just simple self belief and expectation. He has that wonderful knack of knowing when to go ...and when to stop and let all others pass. Davey does it too. . I tell ya..there are some very good times ahead when all this clicks together :)

Pello, relax, they're Warlpiri...not the Waffen SS

geez.. I wonder how many country memberships will come out of the red centre next year :) :) :)

Thanks for the post. He's going to make all us walk taller.

That's great news... Such an exciting, talented player is LJ. Class, poise, speed. He's a real gem!

I, like all MFC fans, and the whole community in Yuendumu, hope that Liam can play 200+ games for this great club and help lead us back to the glory days of old.

Love him!!! Go Liam, the Walpiri Warrior :)

Forget 'Cougar'. Forget 'Warlpiri Wizard'.

GO JUKURTAYI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's all call out his real name!

Edited by btdemon

The club should be handing them out!

Yes and we should be playing not only PA up in Darwin, but GC17 and WS18 when they come in.

I would add Freo but 3 out of 12 home games is more than enough away from my MCC...

And anyone who says "you can't play that many away, the G is our home!" - we would get around 14k for those three fixtures and would be ridiculed (and lose money). And after Jurrah, Davey, and Wonna are retired we will play 3 games a season at the new Casey Stadium (30k capacity).

Off topic...

Great kick is Liam...