• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Perspective on Watts' debut

LeBron James

There were numerous times today that if our players had taken the first and best option, Jack would have had a bit more of it.

Instead, we hesitate, stop, dodge, bounce, hesitate again and then handball to someones feet

As someone else has already mentioned, the joint endeavour of all bar 2 or 3 players meant we were always going to get belted. Tough initiation, I can't wait til he puts on his other 10 KG of muscle so he can provide some of the leadership we craved today.

Beat me to it.

J.Watts should very well have at least 4 more possessions to his name, and having he kicked straight, at least 2 goals.

Robbo and Colin both didnt take the first option, and Watts made 2 very good leads.

However, personally, I though he looked a little lost. But its absolutely expected.

There were numerous times today that if our players had taken the first and best option, Jack would have had a bit more of it.

Instead, we hesitate, stop, dodge, bounce, hesitate again and then handball to someones feet

As someone else has already mentioned, the joint endeavour of all bar 2 or 3 players meant we were always going to get belted. Tough initiation, I can't wait til he puts on his other 10 KG of muscle so he can provide some of the leadership we craved today.

Beat me to it.

J.Watts should very well have at least 4 more possessions to his name, and having he kicked straight, at least 2 goals.

Robbo and Colin both didnt take the first option, and Watts made 2 very good leads.

However, personally, I though he looked a little lost. But its absolutely expected.

It just shows the vast gulf between the VFL and AFL. All Watts needs is games and experience under his belt, and over time to bulk up.

Remembering Maric in his first few games, how lost he seemed, yet today comparing him with Watts he seemed mature and confident. And that's after 11 games! Wait until Watts has played 10, it's a steep learning curve right now.

I was disappointed with his game, Maybe i expected more.

Didnt have any impact, looked abit lost in traffic.

Was a bloke in his first game meant to step right in and have an impact? I think the expectations are ridiculously high. As it turns out, QB might not have been the best day to debut Whopper, as being a first gamer, you're already nervous enough, let alone having to worry about the wet conditions.

Still, I'm happy that Jack got through it unscathed. He'll be harder at it next round.

It just shows the vast gulf between the VFL and AFL. All Watts needs is games and experience under his belt, and over time to bulk up.

Remembering Maric in his first few games, how lost he seemed, yet today comparing him with Watts he seemed mature and confident. And that's after 11 games! Wait until Watts has played 10, it's a steep learning curve right now.

Very good post. I agree, wholeheartedly.

Watts was the least of our problems today.

If we continue moving the ball through ridiculous handballs to stationary targets, as a forward, Watts will be pulling out his ample blond hair.

And speaking of our young messiahs, why isn't Morton given a run in the middle?

I know this is a little off topic, but at least Jack kicked in long, when he got it. What the feck were we doing playing our dry weather footy? Football in the wet is a very simple game. Win the ball, kick it long, quickly and something will invaribly happen. Instead, we played a ridiculous game of dry weather football, without altering our gameplan at all. The handball game just isn't going to work on a day like today. Kick it long to the forwards, if it doesn't get marked by a forward (who's playing in front), it'll skim off the pack and go to the back. If you have quick crumbers by their feet, easy goals are to be made. This was no more evident than goals from Dick, Didak and Davis. It was bewildering that the players seemingly weren't instructed this at any stage (it's at least the second time this season, that we've attempted to play our dry weather football in the rain). If anything, we reverted to this game style for the last ten minutes of the game and it proved a lot more effective. It's games like today, when a side gets a run on and an obvious move needs to be made (and is not fourthcoming), that from a coaching point of view, we're tanking.

I'm happy he's had a taste and can know what he needs to do to get up to speed with the game. Love how he moves and as 'grant' said, a good shaped body to grow and fill into over the next few years. Skinny yes, but no beanpole. He's got some shoulders, but obviously will take time to really develop that upper body. A few more games this year won't hurt and will help him set his goals for next season.

Jack has to go harder than that. I didn't expect more than 10 disposals, but he was overly concerned about the physical attention, which didn't eventuate. I know he will develop, but I wanted to see a little bit more desperation. If he gets a name for being soft it will haunt him for the rest of his career. Morton was criticised for putting in a few short ones in game 1, but his ability to handle the traffic soon became evident. I'll go on record now... all the junior accolades that Jack has amassed will = Jack sh*te if he isn't prepared to put his frame to the test within 2 more games.

Top call.

watts showed a bit on the big stage. he did some nice things without the ball - the shepherd for jamar to mark uncontested, then butcher the goal....

if robbo passes the ball, well.... he will learn nothing off him except how to celebrate goals and be selfish!!

he also led up the middle a few times and got overlooked - we of course kicked to the bloody pockets and ridiculous leads...

also, how would you like to be a forward in a team that has delivery where we take a mark, then turn around, then look for a lead with 15 oppoisition players in the way!!

he will be better for the run!!!

Top call.

Oh god. You buffoons. What a horribly old school, moronic comment lacking perspective and obviously experience to agree with. Couldn't believe the comment itself by now B2 shuffles in to agree.

Here's an interesting stat from after match function - via Jimmy Stynes.

For gate attendance's today: we earned as much for the game, as we will for the rest of the season from ALL our other home games at the MCG. The 1 home game at Carrara, nets us the same amount as today (I think it was about 350K? Can anyone confirm?) and the crowd at Carrara is about 20K.... crazy sh!t deal we got at the MCG.

As far as JW goes, I think he performed as I expected. Did some good things. To me, showed he has the hands/skills to play at this level. The fitness will come, and so will the body shape. I'm excited.

The crowd in the StK v Melb game at Carrara was 9K.

Watts will be better for the run. It was his first game, in front of 60,000 + there is no better introduction to AFL. At 18 years of age and a light frame (86Kg) for his 196cm height. Against a strong outfit in Collingwood.

On occassions when leading straight he was ignored for other much wider options. His presence in the future will allow us to become more direct instead of skirting around the arc.

Patience sports fans, patience.

thought he led well, and if played at full forward might have done a better job than robbo.

what i noticed was that he was often in between the play. not quite a short kick, and not quite a long kick away. is this position the difference between playing at school and vfl and playing in the afl? longer kicks etc? it meant he was often not there at the marking contest.

thought he led well, and if played at full forward might have done a better job than robbo.

what i noticed was that he was often in between the play. not quite a short kick, and not quite a long kick away. is this position the difference between playing at school and vfl and playing in the afl? longer kicks etc? it meant he was often not there at the marking contest.

i Agree mate, he seemed a bit lost or out of possition. I often was watching him and hed be standing about 8 meters from the contest. IMO if you with in 10 meters of the contest your in the contest or should be involved in the play.

I dont think it make much of a diference between VFL and AFL when kicks are same lengths as are handballs.

Maybe he was just caught out due to the speed and higher level of afl?

perhaps carn dees. maybe in situations like that the player just needs to throw themselves fully into a contest or two, even if they are a bit late. he seemed to hesitate about whether to go in, or stay outside, which often meant he sat between contests.

although with his frame he doesn't have to win his own ball.

maybe it is just typical of an 18 year old, in his first game, worrying that he'll get in the way of the senior players, and not wanting to do the wrong thing? i know he is a gun, but perhaps he was simply a little overwhelmed and nervous? had a big week for a young lad.

I was disappointed with his game, Maybe i expected more.

Didnt have any impact, looked abit lost in traffic.

Im not worried however, will assess him more next year, after a big summer on the track and in the Gym.

The positives are that the hype is now over and he found out what AFL is all about.

i thought he was badly coached, should of been played deep in the square :)

looked lost and looked a bit soft.. should of gone harder...

looked like he was just out there getting a feel for it, which is the wrong attitude for afl footy..

but he skills looked good and did a few nice things :P

i know he is a gun, but perhaps he was simply a little overwhelmed and nervous? had a big week for a young lad.

The hype and media focus surrounding him was borderline insane, and he would have been [censored] himself. Well and truly.

Imagine being in his shoes, and the enormity of the situation. That he actually didn't fumble his first touch, and got up straight away after being nailed to the ground by three big players, is a miracle in itself.

No doubt he was out there thinking to himself "gees so many people are looking at me to do something, but it's pissing down, I'm surrounded by a bunch of incompetent tools and nobody would kick the bloody ball to me... what the feck did I get myself into?".

To be honest, I walked away from yesterday hoping that what Jack remembers most about it is the loud cheers he received when running onto the ground for the first time, and not his ultimate performance on the day, which means absolutely nothing in the context of his career.

I hope he keeps playing for the rest of the year, because only experience is standing in his way right now (and lets hope he nailed his accounting exam today as well!)

I'm glad he didn't dominate and kicked multiple goals, it's important that he realises how difficult this sport is.

Even if he had, I think he's level-headed enough to realise it's not an easy game.

Even if he had, I think he's level-headed enough to realise it's not an easy game.

I think you assume too much, take Sylvia as an example. It's only been very recently that he's realised how hard he has to work to be successful at AFL level, and his results demonstrate this. Watts is a very talented kid, but it's pretty well known that his work rate hasn't been the same as someone like Naitanui or Rich, to some extent he's relied on his talent to get him through.

Not every talented kid who has played AFL/VFL has worked hard enough to play at the highest level.

perhaps carn dees. maybe in situations like that the player just needs to throw themselves fully into a contest or two, even if they are a bit late. he seemed to hesitate about whether to go in, or stay outside, which often meant he sat between contests.

although with his frame he doesn't have to win his own ball.

maybe it is just typical of an 18 year old, in his first game, worrying that he'll get in the way of the senior players, and not wanting to do the wrong thing? i know he is a gun, but perhaps he was simply a little overwhelmed and nervous? had a big week for a young lad.

Yer, a couple times i noticed he hesitated to go hard out at the ball at times because he was worried about getting in the way of couple of our players.

As for getting lost i wouldnt mind seeing Jack play out of the sqaure, in his highlights he seems to be very comfortable there and really can hurt the scoreboard.

FFS, it was his first game in the big time where all his teammates bar Sylvia and Jamar shirked it today. He is 18, no pre season, 196cm and a light frame. He came onto the ground when we were already 4 goals down and had to contest against the tide of play.

And you worried about him being soft? Unbelievable.

Well said Rhino, Totally agree. Sylvia's Mark against Maxwell was the only time Melbourne got physical all day.

Jack Watts will be fine as he puts on more weight & plays more games.

Jack Watts will be fine, no question everytime he got the ball he had time and didn't waste it. He would be a good player now if we had decent senior players around him. Mick Maltshake brought up his young players and how they are where younger than us, but there 23-30yo are good footballers. Some people want this kid to be a superstar now because we haven't had one for many years. We have two choices keep playing him so he gets better at this level or play him at VFL which IMO is so far below AFL level and it will slow track his development.

Unless he gets injured play him at AFL level, he will improve every week and when we have the stretch of weaker teams you will see what he can do.