Miller maybe out??

rodent killer

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

I would hope we would keep him around for this year and next. The only problem with Miller is his lack of talent. I think he needs to be allowed to get angry again though. If he can't get the ball he could at least keep the opposition backs honest and wondering if the footsteps the hear are his.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm seeing a couple of glaring deficiencies in the proposed forward lines people are putting up. Why is it that nobody wants to see Jurrah and Hughes in the side? Jurrah is beginning to show us the brilliance we've all heard about and Hughes is putting in some pretty solid performances. I wouldn't be surprised if both of them are in the side by the end of the season.

is in his "does absolutely nothing" mode, either bite bullet and bring in Watts or Newton again or both

I reckon some of you would eat your young.

Already you are talking trades. These blokes are not cattle !

Two years ago we were telling Miller not to touch any of the opposition players . They still look over their shoulder when he is around. He presents as a leading forward, its just that no one kicks it to him.

I cannot see Watts being the big tough forward if he gets the same delivery as our Forwards get now. Two weeks after that some will be talking trade for him.

Why would we trade those people from our Defence ? We have just got them working together. Injuries do happen .

Note that the strength of Geelong is who they could bring in when required. (like Hawthorn in the 80's). If we trade everyone there will be no-one to bring up.

Jurrah's My man, Will be a superstar! Drop Miller he's Useless. Correct, he has very little footy brain, though he seemed as a decent "Plug" player, he has disappointed me and 30,000 demon fans. Bring Jurrah in and let the excitement start, he'd provide more of a contest then Miller.

Hughes is stiff not to be selected yet, but shouldn't be far from a call up. These two with Watts, Woona, could throw Newton (he's a mixed bag of lollies) and I'd like to seen Green up forward.

Miller = Trade Bait.

And Go Dees

I've been thinking, if Bailey does drop Miller, how do we structure up? Does Bate play as a lead up forward, in place of Millsy? I think we need another lead up target, ie Newton, next week. Our Geelong-esque style of play probably requires one lead up player (a Bate around half forward) and a tall to kick to in the goal square (Newton from the square). Around them, run and carry through the middle and goals from midfield. I know it's not quite as simple as this, but it seems the personell we'll have on offer won't include Jurrah or Watts and therefore we might have to structure up something like the above. Perhaps?

Miller is a nipple. Should never play a game for Melbourne again. He is a pathetic brain dead footballer that plays a couple good games a year not good enough. We should start looking at alternatives cause Miller is not and has never been the answer.

Harsh.

Since when has 'nipple' meant useless? I've always found them handy and useful. Sensitive but useful. ;):lol:

Hey Guys,

After watching Brad Miller over his last few insipid games, i am wondering if he may need a change via holding down the Centre Half Back position, if this then happens this may release Martin to go forward and learn the trade of been able to play forward, Miller as he has shown that he is very capable of playing centre half back, He has the aerobic capacity to be ae able to to run out games, and i think a change may do him a world of good as he is in struggle town at the moment, a change just like this one may rejuvenate his career as it is stalling at the moment.

the back 6 would then look like this

B. Whelen Warnock Frawley

HB. Rivers MILLER Garland

Just putting it out there... your thoughts,

Cheers....

Perhaps. Not totally against it, but I don't think Martin is suited to the forwardline. Of course, it's early days in that plan, but he looked completely lost the other night. I'd say it's worth a try, but my only question is what to do with Martin, because I believe our backline should read something like Whealen, Garland, Warnock, Frawley, Rivers, Martin. In addition, Grimes and Bennell are quickly becoming my favourites off half back. Does Miller fit down back?

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

I like Millers efforts but he just lacks some talent, football brain and confidence. He is still a useful member of the squad but he needs a spell in the twos to get some belief back. As a back man - NO!. He played one good game there against Hall and a bunch of absolute howlers including the Hall rematch. If he can't make it as a lead up forward then he won't make it.

Hey Guys,

After watching Brad Miller over his last few insipid games, i am wondering if he may need a change via holding down the Centre Half Back position, if this then happens this may release Martin to go forward and learn the trade of been able to play forward, Miller as he has shown that he is very capable of playing centre half back, He has the aerobic capacity to be ae able to to run out games, and i think a change may do him a world of good as he is in struggle town at the moment, a change just like this one may rejuvenate his career as it is stalling at the moment.

Cheers....

Back in the Daniher days, Miller was put down back because we had no one else to put there, and if you ask me the experiment failed apart from one opponent, Barry Hall. Right now our backline is our strongest area and the hardest area to get a game, just ask Kyle Cheney.

So its a big NO for me, he would just make the back line too big

Hmmm no that aint going to work. Forward is his least worst position ha. But its not his fault. The dees work back in big numbers when on the defend though dont work back hard enough to be in leading positions thus we see the ball just being booted into the forward line on their heads. Did you notice the only goals we got the other night were on the run from outside 50 as there were no forwards in the F50.

Big Fan of miller, but time i think to go and get a bit of confidence at casey this week. Newton/Jurrah/Robbo all good yesterday so some headaches this week at selection. I would actually like to see all 3 come in.

In: Newton/Jurrah/Robbo

Out: Miller/Bell/JMac (inj?)

I like Millers efforts but he just lacks some talent, football brain and confidence. He is still a useful member of the squad but he needs a spell in the twos to get some belief back. As a back man - NO!. He played one good game there against Hall and a bunch of absolute howlers including the Hall rematch. If he can't make it as a lead up forward then he won't make it.

Agreed. Btw, nice quote of yours in todays HUN :)

Hey Guys,

Cheers....

i like the idea of trying out somehting new with Miller. It would be a great injustance to the man to just drop him and forget him forever.

What have we got to loose, play him of the wing or CHB. try something out!

Miller might have played like absolute crap on the weekend, but he's still a better proposition than Newton. At least he runs and chases. You'd get a similar output from Newton on a good day.

Well. Miller had 0 tackles, 9 possessions, 1 behind.

In Millers nine games to Newtons two this year:

Tackles /PG M:1.1 --- N:4

Hitouts /PG M:0.4 --- N:2

Goal /PG: - M:1.2 --- N:1

SS* /PG --- M:2.55 -- N:4.5 (* scoring shots)

So Newton has quadrupled Millers tackling and hitouts, almost doubled his scoring shots, yet his (supposed 'best') output equates to Millers game on Saturady? Without blinkers please? Newton only needs to calm down and kick straight. Miller needs to do so much more.

So Newton has quadrupled Millers tackling and hitouts, almost doubled his scoring shots, yet his (supposed 'best') output equates to Millers game on Saturady? Without blinkers please? Newton only needs to calm down and kick straight. Miller needs to do so much more.

First of all, you can't seriously think that hitouts are a decent measure of a forward?

I'll accept that my previous comment was biased.

Newton's numbers may show equal or better output than Miller, but I think it would be fair to say that it's much of a muchness between the two. When Newton's had recalls, he's let us down. I really can't see the benefit of Newton for Miller.

First of all, you can't seriously think that hitouts are a decent measure of a forward?

I'll accept that my previous comment was biased.

Newton's numbers may show equal or better output than Miller, but I think it would be fair to say that it's much of a muchness between the two. When Newton's had recalls, he's let us down. I really can't see the benefit of Newton for Miller.

Not a decent measure no, but part of the picture. You mentioned effort, something alot of posters have a go at Newton for, I thought the stats showed effort. I'd like to get games into Newton/Hughes. Miller has had 119.

Not a decent measure no, but part of the picture. You mentioned effort, something alot of posters have a go at Newton for, I thought the stats showed effort. I'd like to get games into Newton/Hughes. Miller has had 119.

Fair enough.

We certainly need to do something about our forward line. I'm nowhere near convinced that Newton's the answer, but I guess we can only play who we have.

Problem with Newton when he does get recalled is that he puts so much pressure on himself to do what we expect him to do that it plays on his mind and stuffs him up. Should just put him in and leave him in for a few weeks, what is there too lose?

Over the full journey Newton, as mediocre as the majority have him, shades Miller, as valuable as most have him, in Ranking Points:

Final Siren Player Compare

One has a bag of tricks, footy nous and has recently added defensive pressure to his game and is the recipient of scathing criticism; the other is reactive and slow in his decision-making, frequently fumbles, has a limited skill-set and has played maybe a dozen good games for the club in what is now his seventh season, yet has the benefit of apologists. Sure Millsy looks the part but that's where it ends.