• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Big guns return for Dees

H_T

Yeah.. reckon Valents needs to add another 'trick' to his game..? Don't know what exactly.. its a hard one to describe, but he needs to sort it out at Casey. Maybe if he could add goal-kicking to his game. Like a chapman, kick his couple goals a game starting across half-forward and relieve in the midfield when necessary. Our backline/half-backline certainly doesn't need anyone. Will come in when the 'draft-pick operations' begin later on in the year. But, we kinda don't need him right now.. :unsure: Good problem to have tho.. a bit of depth

I/CHANGE: Maric, Jones, Cheney, Bartram

How good is this, even though we may not win, but look at the competition to get a senior spot. And still no Watts, Blease, Strauss, Buckley, Bell, Bail, Garland, Jetta, Jurrah, Wheatly, Meesen and co, all when fit could be viaing for a spot

Great ins. Valenti is very unlucky to get cut after just one match. But you have to ask, why did they play him at all if they weren't prepared to give him an extended opportunity?

3 of the bench will be Jones, Bennell and Jamar. The last spot is a raffle between the remaining four, but I feel that we absolutely need a second ruckman, Jones is a given and Bennell deserves his spot. For mine, I'd prefer to see Cheney or Maric. Petterd I think comes last of the four in terms of performances this year. I just have a liking to Cheney. I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if Cheney played over Petterd or Maric.

I won't be surprised if there's a late change or two (Rivers and/or Frawley).

Too many big guns coming back for Valenti to stay. Them's the breaks.

Can't say I agree.

It's not like we didn't realise these guys were coming back when we promoted him, and it's not like we promoted him to desperately plug a hole last week as he pretty much did the opposite (a slow player coming in against the speedy Dogs)

I/C From: R.Petterd, A.Maric, N.Jones, J.Bennell, M.Jamar, K.Cheney, C.Bartram

Personally I think the bench should read Jamar, Jones, Bennell & Cheney.

Petterd could do with a short spell and Maric & Bartram are a little stiff but they'll get chances again throughout the year no doubt. Think Bailey will rotate a few players in & out as the year goes on especially as we get closer to those 4 wins! Doesn't want the side to get to settled.

Wink wink, nudge nudge.

Great ins. Valenti is very unlucky to get cut after just one match. But you have to ask, why did they play him at all if they weren't prepared to give him an extended opportunity?

3 of the bench will be Jones, Bennell and Jamar. The last spot is a raffle between the remaining four, but I feel that we absolutely need a second ruckman, Jones is a given and Bennell deserves his spot. For mine, I'd prefer to see Cheney or Maric. Petterd I think comes last of the four in terms of performances this year. I just have a liking to Cheney. I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if Cheney played over Petterd or Maric.

I won't be surprised if there's a late change or two (Rivers and/or Frawley).

Bailey said somewhere today that Jamar needed another week or 2 at casey b4 being seriously considered..

Can't say I agree.

It's not like we didn't realise these guys were coming back when we promoted him, and it's not like we promoted him to desperately plug a hole last week as he pretty much did the opposite (a slow player coming in against the speedy Dogs)

I would've thought it was more about a clearance player coming in cos its a deficiency of our side, but we still got smashed in that department, so he was dropped.

Didn't have the desired effect.

Hmm. For the first time in a while, I find that bench incredibly hard to pick from. My final four would be Maric, Jones, Bennell, Cheney. So that makes my final changes:

In: Frawley, Green, Rivers, Bennell

Out: Dunn, Valenti, Petterd, Bartram.

Jamar is surely not ready after no preseason, present ruck situation notwithstanding. He isn't fit. I'd rather the extra runner than an unfit ruckman who is 'outhouse' around the ground at the best of times.

I don't want to drop Petterd as I believe he's part of the future and I find it unlikely they'll drop Bartram, though it's still my uneducated preference. He seems to hold great attraction to our selectors, presumably for the intangibles he delivers. I think Cheney's future is still in doubt and I think he, more than any of our younger players named on this bench need game time to prove his worth. Bennell's form and improvement for me has him automatically in our best 22, so he should play. I also want Maric in, simply because I reckon the guy is a gun. Jones is in undroppable form and is only on the extended bench because someone has to be.

I agree that it's disappointing that Bailey has reneged on his comments about Valenti getting more weeks; I think he deserves it, and needs this opportunity to prove his worth as a player. That said, I also agree that it's just tough luck. I can't find a space for him in that side. There are players whom I rate higher than him that I have had to drop from my 'preferred' 22. I wonder if this is the same thing going through Dean Bailey's mind.

I don't care if Dean Bailey appears to have gone back on his word or not. Can anyone actually argue that the named team would be better for Valenti's presence? I sure can't.

Bailey shouldn't have said Valenti would get another run if he wasn't going to stick to it.

But having said that, I agree, the best team available has been named. Unfortunate for Valenti, but too many guns coming back. Somebody had to go.

Hmm. For the first time in a while, I find that bench incredibly hard to pick from. My final four would be Maric, Jones, Bennell, Cheney. So that makes my final changes:

Jamar is surely not ready after no preseason, present ruck situation notwithstanding. He isn't fit. I'd rather the extra runner than an unfit ruckman who is 'outhouse' around the ground at the best of times.

I don't want to drop Petterd as I believe he's part of the future and I find it unlikely they'll drop Bartram, though it's still my uneducated preference. He seems to hold great attraction to our selectors, presumably for the intangibles he delivers. I think Cheney's future is still in doubt and I think he, more than any of our younger players named on this bench need game time to prove his worth. Bennell's form and improvement for me has him automatically in our best 22, so he should play. I also want Maric in, simply because I reckon the guy is a gun. Jones is in undroppable form and is only on the extended bench because someone has to be.

I agree that it's disappointing that Bailey has reneged on his comments about Valenti getting more weeks; I think he deserves it, and needs this opportunity to prove his worth as a player. That said, I also agree that it's just tough luck. I can't find a space for him in that side. There are players whom I rate higher than him that I have had to drop from my 'preferred' 22. I wonder if this is the same thing going through Dean Bailey's mind.

A lot of guys are up and about at the moment and can only be a good thing for the sides performance. The final bench will be fascinating. Last spot between Petterd and Cheyney. I reckon Petterd would be fine down back in Cheyney's role last week. He'd get a lot more involved down there than wasting away in the forward pocket, although his forward pressure is very necessary.

That's what I'd like to see, but there is no way Bartram is getting dropped (nor does he deserve to be).

Maric will get the chop and Bartram will stay. He is well suited to play on Sam Mitchell IMO, so he has a role.

We're a massive chance to beat Hawthorn this week, which at the start of the year would be a completely laughable notion.

That's what I'd like to see, but there is no way Bartram is getting dropped (nor does he deserve to be).

Maric will get the chop and Bartram will stay. He is well suited to play on Sam Mitchell IMO, so he has a role.

We're a massive chance to beat Hawthorn this week, which at the start of the year would be a completely laughable notion.

Batram is named in Casey's 18.

I reckon he is out. I want the acid on our mids - no negative players - just get to a contest and beat the Hawks to the ball.

The Dogs smashed us in the clearances and it cost us the W.

Personally I think the bench should read Jamar, Jones, Bennell & Cheney.

Petterd could do with a short spell and Maric & Bartram are a little stiff but they'll get chances again throughout the year no doubt. Think Bailey will rotate a few players in & out as the year goes on especially as we get closer to those 4 wins! Doesn't want the side to get to settled.

Wink wink, nudge nudge.

yes, I wonder if he'll come in off limited time from the bench.

Bailey shouldn't have said Valenti would get another run if he wasn't going to stick to it.

But having said that, I agree, the best team available has been named. Unfortunate for Valenti, but too many guns coming back. Somebody had to go.

At the time he was asked (in the rooms after the Dogs game), Bailey's intention may well have been to play Valenti again. Clearly, that changed during the week.

However, it is completely irrelevant whether Valenti's feelings have been hurt by Bailey contradicting his earlier public statement with his actions at match committee.

Let's be clear - that's the only issue that posters here are getting worked up about. No one has argued that the side would be better with Valenti in it, because it wouldn't be.

If Bailey starts selecting teams on the basis that he said he'd give so-and-so a game, that's just a return to the Daniher era that so many people complained about.

Bailey is charged with developing a squad of players that will win premierships. As part of that, selection MUST be based on form.

Given that no one can argue that Valenti deserves to be in the side, I cannot for the life of me work out why so many posters are calling for Valenti's inclusion just because Bailey said he'd pick him six days ago.

Harden up, people.

Is it just me or is this a "going all out for a win" kind of squad?

No, it's just not you. I thought the same. It's certainly the strongest I've seen this year. Squeezing Valenti out with the inclusion of some "guns", against last years Premiers is a clear sign to me. TBH I thought Valenti was first 'cab off the rank.'

Looking at the greater picture, why not give everything against Hawthorn....the footy department & coaches will certainly learn a few things with match-ups, etc... because we will no doubt be crossing paths with the Hawks at the business end of the season, maybe not this season, but in the next few years.

Bailey said somewhere today that Jamar needed another week or 2 at casey b4 being seriously considered..

Well then why would he be selected in an extended bench?

If he doesn't play then Martin will have to do some rucking which means Rivers will probably have to stand Roughead.

I don't want to drop Petterd as I believe he's part of the future and I find it unlikely they'll drop Bartram, though it's still my uneducated preference.

Petterd may well be part of the future, but his form over the last few weeks (really, over the entire season so far) hasn't been brilliant.

Thank god Dunne has been dropped! He was crap on the weekend, he doesn't deliver the ball well.

I have a lot of time for Pettard but he has to go, he has is in a massive form slump and he needs to get it back.

Jamar won't play, too underdone.

Int: Jones, Bartram, Maric, Cheney.

I have not seen match of Bennell but i like the look of Cheney. Maric deserves another go (if he doesn't have a good game he should be dropped next week). Bartram will be in to tag, probably Mitchell (please don't let him take the kickouts though!!!). Jones is automatic starter.

I have not seen match of Bennell but i like the look of Cheney. Maric deserves another go (if he doesn't have a good game he should be dropped next week). Bartram will be in to tag, probably Mitchell (please don't let him take the kickouts though!!!). Jones is automatic starter.

You've gotta give these kids a go. Maric's doing alright, you just need to give him 5 or 6 games to show something, even if it's minor. He's already shown his finishing capabilities, we should play him for at least the next few matches. As for Bennell, he's played all but one game.

HAWTHORN

Backs Brendan Whitecross Thomas Murphy Brent Guerra

Half backs Beau Dowler Campbell Brown Grant Birchall

Centreline Jordan Lewis Sam Mitchell Beau Muston

Half forwards Mark Williams Lance Franklin Michael Osborne

Forwards Cyril Rioli Jarryd Roughead Garry Moss

Followers Simon Taylor Brad Sewell Chance Bateman

Interchange (from) Robert Campbell Stuart Dew Ben McGlynn Jarryd Morton Brent Renouf Cameron Stokes Travis Tuck

In Beau Muston Brent Renouf Cameron Stokes

Out Nil

New Beau Muston (Murray U18)

MELBOURNE

Backs Matthew Whelan Matthew Warnock Jared Rivers

Half backs James Frawley Stephan Martin Aaron Davey

Centreline Jack Grimes Colin Sylvia Brock McLean

Half forwards Cale Morton Brad Miller Russell Robertson

Forwards Brad Green Matthew Bate Cameron Bruce

Followers Paul Johnson Brent Moloney James McDonald

Interchange (from) Clint Bartram Jamie Bennell Kyle Cheney Mark Jamar Nathan Jones Addam Maric Ricky Petterd

In Jamie Bennell James Frawley Brad Green Mark Jamar Jared Rivers

Out Lynden Dunn Shane Valenti

The Hawks will have their work cut out beating this lot.

Hawks by 17 points.

I like it we got a good backline in Whelan,Warnock,Rivers,Martin,Frawley and Davey and not a bad midfield in Sylvia,Mclean,Grimes,Moloney and Mcdonald and we should kick a respectable score again with a forward line with Miller,Robertson,Bate and Green all in it. We will also have Morton and Jones in the midfield as well as Davey at some point and the run off half back from Bennell,Frawley abd Aaron Davey. Our best team so far this year.