Top 8 in 2010

rpfc

I was looking through the ages of our more consistent players and they are quickly getting to their 'prime' age and I reckon that, far from being a development year next year, we can make the finals next year.

With Moloney, Miller, Davey, Warnock, PJ, Rivers, McLean, and Martin all 23-26 at the start of the season, it gives a great base as they are all in important roles where leadership and consistency is required (Everyone can have their opinions of whether Sylvia, Jamar, Meesen, and Bell will add to this - as they also fit into this age group).

Adding Bruce and Green adds an elite runner (with not such an elite kick) and a consistent forward flanker in their twilight years (I just can't say wether Junior, Whelan, Wheatley, or Robbo will continue, again, everyone has their opinion).

Some kids you just know, and some kids take time, and some kids just don't make it. I will put my hard earned on Garland, Jones, Bate, Batram, Petterd, Frawley, Wonaeamirri, Grimes, Cheney, Spencer, Morton, Maric, Bennell, and Watts to have something to offer in the calendar year 2010.

I guess it is a question of whether this team, almost a year from now, would believe they are in the best 8 teams in the league:

FB Cheney Warnock Rivers

HB Frawley Garland Bruce

C Morton Jones Davey

HF Watts Miller Petterd

FF Bate Green Wonaeamirri

R Johnson, McLean, Moloney

I Martin Grimes Batram Jamar

E Spencer Maric Bennell

(Underlined are those that should be, or are, playing consistent football due to their age and amount of time in the system)

Very capable of winning 12 games next year...

I was looking through the ages of our more consistent players and they are quickly getting to their 'prime' age and I reckon that, far from being a development year next year, we can make the finals next year.

With Moloney, Miller, Davey, Warnock, PJ, Rivers, McLean, and Martin all 23-26 at the start of the season, it gives a great base as they are all in important roles where leadership and consistency is required (Everyone can have their opinions of whether Sylvia, Jamar, Meesen, and Bell will add to this - as they also fit into this age group).

Adding Bruce and Green adds an elite runner (with not such an elite kick) and a consistent forward flanker in their twilight years (I just can't say wether Junior, Whelan, Wheatley, or Robbo will continue, again, everyone has their opinion).

Some kids you just know, and some kids take time, and some kids just don't make it. I will put my hard earned on Garland, Jones, Bate, Batram, Petterd, Frawley, Wonaeamirri, Grimes, Cheney, Spencer, Morton, Maric, Bennell, and Watts to have something to offer in the calendar year 2010.

I guess it is a question of whether this team, almost a year from now, would believe they are in the best 8 teams in the league:

FB Cheney Warnock Rivers

HB Frawley Garland Bruce

C Morton Jones Davey

HF Watts Miller Petterd

FF Bate Green Wonaeamirri

R Johnson, McLean, Moloney

I Martin Grimes Batram Jamar

E Spencer Maric Bennell

(Underlined are those that should be, or are, playing consistent football due to their age and amount of time in the system)

Very capable of winning 12 games next year...

If The MFC manages to secure 2 Top Draft picks at seasons end, i expect The Premiership Campaign to begin. I expect nothing less. We must try & win 1 or 2 before the new clubs kick in to gear.

We will have a true Window....

Can they wait till 2011? That's when I'll be back in Oz ;)

On a serious note, I think the club will be aiming/planning for a 9th-12 finish in 2010, and then have a tilt at finals in 2011 or 2012.

We have too much development ahead to be looking at finals short term.

Perhaps BBP you mean the club anticipates/expects a 9-12th finish, I cannot fathom any club aiming/planning for such a finish...its no-mans land.

Perhaps BBP you mean the club anticipates/expects a 9-12th finish, I cannot fathom any club aiming/planning for such a finish...its no-mans land.

Yeah good point. I should've left out the word 'aiming'. But I believe their planning for a short incline next year, and then all guns a blazing in 2011

But where we've come from, a 9th-12th finish in 2011 would be satisfactory, particularly when draft picks won't be gifted next year.

Hmmm...I think 2010 might still be a bit premature. Remember, this will be a team that would have won 7-8 games over 2 years (pending they only win 4-5 this year). Jumping to 12 wins with a young, growing and maturing list and I suspect less veterans (Robbo and McDonald maybe gone after this year) would be a tough ask. I think 6-8 wins is a more realistic approach, with 12-15 in 2011 and 2012, with hopefully a power side by 2013.

That's at least what I expect/anticipate.

No we will not wait!

Instead we will go back to back for you :lol:

:lol:

Where's the optimism?

I don't think its blind...

In fact, I think it is 20/20 optimism.

Built from the backline, we could be in the top half of sides next year.

No I don't think it's blind either. It's possible.

Add to that list you've posted, the likes of Blease, Strauss, Bail & Jurrah whom we haven't even seen yet.

I recall Brereton - of all people - talking on radio (I think SEN), prior to the Hawthorn game Round 1 (last year; 2008). He stated how long it would take Melbourne under the guidance of a new coach, new game plan. In his opinion it would take at least a year and a half for the team of youngsters to become fine tuned to the game plan, which he even described at the time was a high possession, high risk game plan under Bailey.

He also referred to how long it had taken Clarkson and his players.

12 games next year; it's definitely possible rpfc.

Whilst we have been playing fairly good football I think it would be highly unlikely that we would make the top 8 next year. Whilst our ability to play Baileys game plan is increasing, and several of our youngesters and developing successfully, it would be unlikely that we would actually make the 8. Going on our current form though I would say we could be placed 10-9th. However a lot of this would depend upon injuries and the amount of 'senior' players that would be playing.

Whilst we have been playing fairly good football I think it would be highly unlikely that we would make the top 8 next year. Whilst our ability to play Baileys game plan is increasing, and several of our youngesters and developing successfully, it would be unlikely that we would actually make the 8. Going on our current form though I would say we could be placed 10-9th. However a lot of this would depend upon injuries and the amount of 'senior' players that would be playing.

I have to disagree with that Somewhat. Next year DB will be in his 3rd year. The players will know his methods. The list is mostly young Fit & getting stronger. Look at the AFL Ladder right now. 1 game separates about 8 teams. If you are in that position you are right in the mix. We must Aim to win while GC 17 & WS are still learning the game.

If we can have good luck with injuries next year, then yes, 12 wins could be possible. I personally hope they begin challenging for finals again from next year, but don't expect it. 2011 and beyond is our window IMO.

I've never been so confident that we're building a solid team from the ground on up, and developing them in a mature and purposeful fashion, as I am now...mind you I'm only young, but I think that's saying something

I've never been so confident that we're building a solid team from the ground on up, and developing them in a mature and purposeful fashion, as I am now...mind you I'm only young, but I think that's saying something

No you are dead right. 2009 is very similiar to 1953..I like the fact that Nobody out there in Footy land quite realizes how Big the MFC could become if managed in the right way.

Where's the optimism?

I don't think its blind...

In fact, I think it is 20/20 optimism.

Built from the backline, we could be in the top half of sides next year.

For me, its not a lack of optimism, but the fact that we will still have a very young side (particularly with this years picks of 1 & 2 or 3(god forbid))

I mean, we will still have the same forward set up that we have now, with a few additions. However, Watts will only be a 5-10 gamer, Blease wont have played a game by next year, Strauss may have a couple, Jurrah may have a couple of games under his belt, and our draft picks will also be gameless.

Next year, we will continue to develop, but should at least have double the amount of wins we have this year.

Im so excited about our team. Im confident we can make finals next year. Im considering transferring my studies to melbourne so I can watch every home game for the next years 10 years :rolleyes: GF not happy though <_<
Does she support the demons? You could recruit her?

I think one thing people often underestimate is how even the competition really is. We've seen it with Hawthorn this year, a bad run with injuries and you're back with the pack.

Given our pretty bad run with injuries the last 18 months, and the games we are getting into our younger players, there's no reason we can't make the 8 next year. There are a lot of teams, winning matches this season who aren't very good. We start to get it right, and there's no reason we can't be a lot better than a number of the teams in the comp...

For me, its not a lack of optimism, but the fact that we will still have a very young side (particularly with this years picks of 1 & 2 or 3(god forbid))

I mean, we will still have the same forward set up that we have now, with a few additions. However, Watts will only be a 5-10 gamer, Blease wont have played a game by next year, Strauss may have a couple, Jurrah may have a couple of games under his belt, and our draft picks will also be gameless.

Next year, we will continue to develop, but should at least have double the amount of wins we have this year.

I didn't count Blease, Jurrah, Strauss, or any of the 'yet to be' additions.

Miller, Bate, Green, Wonna, Petterd, Maric, Davey and Watts can provide a score that can be defended.

Add to that (possibly or possibly not for various reasons) Sylvia, Robertson, Newton, and PJ, and you have a team capable of kicking 15 goals a game.

9-12 in '10 I think is a reasonable aim I would feel. We'll be knocking though and we'll be on our way for real :)

I think we can beat these teams next year: NM, Coll, Rich, Freo (G), Adel (G), WCE (G), PA (G), Carl (G), BL (G), Ess (G), Dogs (G), and Syd (MO).

Depending on fixturing, and injuries, I think the finals are very possible.