Dees to get shafted again?

Satan

No, there comes a time when you have to stop being pushed around, why not now.

The AFL "need" us to move, if we say no then they can't, make them beg us, take a collingwood stand and tell them to [censored] off unless they over compensate us, not compensate, over compensate.

We need to make them have to throw more money at us, not break even, not a little over break even, a lot.

Ask for a lot and we might receive a little, let them tell us what to do and get bent over.

I'm in my right mind to still go to the G and sit in my seat I have reserved for that day.

Right with you "condemned 84".

We aint going to be the whipping boy no more!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This deal seems more certain to be going ahead now: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl...4-19742,00.html

Both clubs have said they'll be happy for it to happen, provided St Kilda fans who have a reserved Etihad Stadium seat get compensation. I get the feeling this is going to happen, unfortunately.

I'm surprised Melbourne hasn't said anything about this yet.

PS: There's a poll on the Heraldsun website that is currently sitting at 82% in favour of moving the match. If you want to be heard on this maybe you can vote on that.

I can't believe that there are those who are only concerned about not having their precious reserved seat for an MCG game.

NEWS FLASH - if poor attendances continue we won't be watching these games live at all. refer Hawks + launceston.

As a reserved seat member i am more then happy for the game to be moved provided no loss is sustained by the club. It is hardly a game that we will be struggling to find a seat so effectively we will be able to sit just about anywhere for free as MFC members. There is always a members reserve for these games that will be on the wing lvl 1 so i can't see what the issue is.

I do feel sorry for MCC members as they are always the forgotten ones, however any that have MFC afiliated memberships should be given same entry and seating as all reserved seat members. Those that have not paid the small MFC-MCC members price SHOULD MISS OUT!

St Kilda and Collingwood back MCG blockbuster

Damian Barrett needs to work on his headlines. Not often a journo makes a mistake on the fourth word of the article.

St Kilda and Collingwood back MCG blockbuster

Damian Barrett needs to work on his headlines. Not often a journo makes a mistake on the fourth word of the article.

Whoa, I completely missed that one!

It's not Damian Barrett's fault, though. It would have been a sub-editor who wrote the headline.

I can't believe that there are those who are only concerned about not having their precious reserved seat for an MCG game.

NEWS FLASH - if poor attendances continue we won't be watching these games live at all. refer Hawks + launceston.

As a reserved seat member i am more then happy for the game to be moved provided no loss is sustained by the club. It is hardly a game that we will be struggling to find a seat so effectively we will be able to sit just about anywhere for free as MFC members. There is always a members reserve for these games that will be on the wing lvl 1 so i can't see what the issue is.

I do feel sorry for MCC members as they are always the forgotten ones, however any that have MFC afiliated memberships should be given same entry and seating as all reserved seat members. Those that have not paid the small MFC-MCC members price SHOULD MISS OUT!

It is a bit of a hard one because you know there will be members who go absolutely troppo over any switch.

As long as the club is financially rewarded and reserved seat members are compensated with Level 1 & 2 seating at Etihad I personally don't have an issue.I emphasise rewarded because there is no doubt we will loose money if we play Port at the MCG.

The club (board) is obliged to act in the best interests of the club in terms of its viability as priority 1 and anything which improves our finiacials is central to thereto. Other concerns (members reserved seats, emotional attachment to the MCG) must take a back seat at this point in our history.

I suggest we strongly make the point that this should be seen as a one off in the context of our present situation and poor AFL scheduling (Sunday games, Port. stadium deals, etc.) take the moral high ground in it is the MFC who are facilitating the greater needs of the game, take the money and run.

its a bloody disgrace, the AFL are out to KILL US OFF.. make no mistake!!!.

This year we were not given a SINGLE home night game.. and yes the AFL knew when they did the draw that we were desperate for sponsers and those games give the kind of exposure that sponsers sign up for.. and we did not get 1... NOT 1. Last year i beleive we got 1 home game on a Friday night.. and then the AFL had the balls to turn around and say it was a PRESENT.. a PRESENT for turning 150, this cant go on.. its time we made some public noise about it and highlighted the fixture for what it is, a tool to keep the rich clubs getting richer and the poor clubs to keel over and die.. i am so [censored] sick of Melbourne being the AFL's whipping boy, and for those that say lets be good boys and maybe we'll get looked after in future.. well im telling you if you take that approach we will continue to be shafted, NM stood up to the AFL and look at their draw this year... first 4 home games against Essendon, Hawks, Collingwood and Richmond.. 2 of those night games, one a saturday afternoon game.. the AFL came to the party for North Melbourne.. because the squeaky wheel gets the grease, whereas.. our wheel is just broken :angry:

This deal seems more certain to be going ahead now: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl...4-19742,00.html

Both clubs have said they'll be happy for it to happen, provided St Kilda fans who have a reserved Etihad Stadium seat get compensation. I get the feeling this is going to happen, unfortunately.

Considering it is Melbourne who has to move a game from their home ground, what about Dees fans who'll end up with worse seats and/or pay more for seating (which will be pretty much everyone)?

This year we were not given a SINGLE home night game.. and yes the AFL knew when they did the draw that we were desperate for sponsers and those games give the kind of exposure that sponsers sign up for.. and we did not get 1... NOT 1. Last year i beleive we got 1 home game on a Friday night.. and then the AFL had the balls to turn around and say it was a PRESENT.. a PRESENT for turning 150, this cant go on.. its time we made some public noise about it and highlighted the fixture for what it is, a tool to keep the rich clubs getting richer and the poor clubs to keel over and die.. i am so [censored] sick of Melbourne being the AFL's whipping boy, and for those that say lets be good boys and maybe we'll get looked after in future.. well im telling you if you take that approach we will continue to be shafted, NM stood up to the AFL and look at their draw this year... first 4 home games against Essendon, Hawks, Collingwood and Richmond.. 2 of those night games, one a saturday afternoon game.. the AFL came to the party for North Melbourne.. because the squeaky wheel gets the grease, whereas.. our wheel is just broken :angry:

Email this to Jim Stynes. I'm with you. Line in the sand.

Love the passion. :wub:

Well. Does anyone know when the first drafts of the 2010 fixture takes place?

Maybe you could head the campaign for better fixturing!!! Get out the placards, banners & signs and march to AFL House.

Of course, the AFL will need to see evidence of improvement in the side. Which we've shown some despite being 1-6. Perhaps a few wins will tip us over the edge for more Friday night/Saturday fixtures.

I have just read the Article on the Herald Sun Site and then came to Demonland to see what folks are thinking.

First of all, I agree with a few other points in that moving the Saint's V Cats match to the G is really more in favour of the Cats as the Saint's don't play well there. The AFL must not be thinking big picture enough about this and are clearly set on the $$, not the fans. Sure they would get more fans to the game, but any extra cash taken at the Gate would surely go in to compensating Members of St Kilda who are having to watch the game not from their reserved seat at Etihad.

"If" the AFL look to move our Round 15 Match against Port, we would also have to get a cut of those extra takings as a Club, plus all Members, be it reserved or MCC need to be catered for in similar seats to what they have at the G. Another issue with that plan is that Melbourne is also put out in regards to the fact we aren't playing at the G, so it does give Port more chance in winning the game. In the current climit, that isn't an issue as we want to be competitive, but get beaten more than Richmond this year and clearly, that is going to be a tough ask. If we let the AFL push us out of our Home this time, would they then think that in future, they can do it again. Just think of the impact it could have if they look to do something like this again in 2011, when we should be right in the Finals mix again, if we get shoved into the Shed, we would possibly loose a game we might be almost guaranteed to win if it was at the G and maybe miss out on Finals?

I am another Reserved Seat Member and have always boycotted any games that we have played at Etihad over the years, even if they are home games and if this goes ahead, I will again boycott. It pains me to say that as the Footy is a great catchup with Mates that are also Reserved Seat Members, but I just hate that place and will have to watch on TV, unless of course Channel 7 cover it, in which case, I will also boycott. What kind of network pays millions of Dollars, just to delay telecasts, but in real time?!? You would swear they are run by the AFL they are so cash driven and don't care how much they butcher the game.

We move 1 game and the club stands to make (or not lose) between $100,00 and $150,000. Not only this it gives Port more chance (albeit slighty) to win the game thus helping us to secure you know who. This is one of those occasions where the club should make a little noise about shifting from home and then take the money and the draft picks and roll on to 2010!

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.theage.com.au/national/afl-bloc...90529-bpgx.html

common sense prevails...(not)

There will be some unhappy cats and saints fans

but we are :D

I'm not. As an AFL member this would be much easier for me to go to if it's at the MCG. Along with about 20.000 extra people. Plus the money Melbourne would have received for the swap would have helped because the game against Port will surely be a loss making venture. Why have a "best fit" policy if it's "too hard to move a game"? These guys are the most incompetent bunch of idiots imaginable.

Although there are rumblings that Eat - A - Turd stadium would sue, which might have put the AFL off a tad.

I'm not. As an AFL member this would be much easier for me to go to if it's at the MCG. Along with about 20.000 extra people. Plus the money Melbourne would have received for the swap would have helped because the game against Port will surely be a loss making venture.

It's not about you mate, or a couple of bucks. It's about our club playing a home game where we rightfully belong.

It's not about you mate, or a couple of bucks. It's about our club playing a home game where we rightfully belong.

I know it's not about me. But it is about 20,000 people that can't go. It's also about the $100,000 that we WILL lose on that game. Do we want to be North Melbourne?

STUFF the 20k who can't go, get a membership and a reserved seat and if you still can't get in petition your club to have a deal at a decent stadium.

I could not give 2 tosses what either fans think, if the cats fans whinge well when they can fit 70k at there dump then they can complain, they can't even give us 5k tickets to go to their dump, so they can get f$%ked!

The saints can get stuffed too cos they signed a deal to play their home games at Etihad stadium, they knew before they signed the capacity of that dump, once again, your bed, you chose it now lie in it, and for all the others like journos who think it should be changed....... go F$%k yourself your opinion means nothing to me, Melbourne playing 11 games at our home ground, the MCG is all I ever want to see.

They would not care about us, not the saints, not the cats, not the journos. So they can all shove their opinions as far as I care.

Thank goodness for that. A common sense victory. Transferring a Melbourne game away from our home during the season would be an absolute insult and a joke.

I don't think this is common sense at all.

Let's separate the two issues of a possible move of a Demons game and a possible move of cats/saints. Cats/saints should be moved to allow more people to attend. That IS common sense. Are you telling me the IPL can move it's whole tournament to South Africa but the AFL can't move one game across town?

Now, to the second issue. If a Demons home game was moved to allow the AFL to meet its contractual obligations we would be financially compensated. Given that we will lose money on the Port game then it's fine by me. If having to travel 2 extra train stops will prevent you going to a Demons game i'd consider that very disappointing. You can't use the same excuses you use to NOT attend optus because there is parking and there is public transport. I know people want to sit in THEIR seat at our home ground but surely a once-off move doesn't hurt? Further, Port have not lost a game on the MCG in two years so I don't understand where these arguments about how moving the game to Etihad will make it easier for Port to win.

The fact our nominated home ground is the MCG means nothing if we continue to draw crowds that are smaller than those in Canberra and Launceston. If Demons fans don't turn up to the Port game then I hope you enjoy watching us play Port on Foxtel, in Darwin, for the next 5 years. How can we claim we "rightfully belong" at the MCG when the only time we fill the ground is when the Pies fans fill it for us, and we sell our games to Brisbane, Gold Coast, Canberra, and now maybe even Darwin? If you insist that you will only watch the Demons when they play at the MCG, then I ask you one question.

Who will you follow when the Demons fold?

Yours in common sense

Sideshow Bob

Valid points bob but.......

If we get changed once, then suddenly it's ok to change our matches, we will let them etc.

We as a club need to make a stand, and now is the time, before it happens once, and yes we need our supporters to come to the port game and get 25k there

we have nearly 31k members, we really should get 30k even to a port game.

So often we are looked down upon by the other clubs and the AFL, we need to take a stand on everything even things that seem petty so that one day in the near future we have the same stubborn streak as a collingwood and a essendon.

It needs to start somewhere, HERE! is where is should start.

Norm Smith would be turning in his grave if he knew that supporters of the club were advocating the merits of the club giving up a home game on the back of revenue and crowd numbers. What a defeatist attitude.

I have no problem with the club embracing Darwin, etc to grow our future, but outside of those parameters, which the club controls, I don't want to see any 'shifting of ground' when it comes to my football club and where it plays.

Isn't this precisely why we are looking at Darwin?

That's a long-term growth strategy, not a one-off shift for AFL convenience.

Can't you see the difference ?

I think it's a good idea to make some money for a game we will probably lose money on. If the AFL guarantees us to make $100k rather than lose $100k, then I don't see what the issue is.

It seems like the benefits of the interstate home game without the problem of having to move it interstate.

The only benefits I can see are in the fields of chest beating and cliches. God knows we need more of that.