Juice Newton- Criticisms, Comments and Kudos

Biffinator

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all too harsh on him. Fact is he should've kicked those goals. He didn't, but at least he was having shots on goal... He slots those, 2 goals from a forward in a low scoring game, with shocking conditions for forwards, and he's done well...

I thought his work ethic was reasonable, he kept chasing all day, laid 4 tackles...

Get him to work on his kicking, but surely this is something we can back our coaches to help him fix?

all too harsh on him. Fact is he should've kicked those goals. He didn't, but at least he was having shots on goal... He slots those, 2 goals from a forward in a low scoring game, with shocking conditions for forwards, and he's done well...

Two weeks running his inability to convert rare shots on goal is a fatal flaw for a forward.

He is going to end up disappointing alot of apologists

Seriously, what the hell was he attempting to prove? Second week in a row he's gone for the unsuccessful banana kick strategy. Just kick it straight or [censored] off. It reeks of arrogance, laziness and a lack of caring.

I think you'll find it was none of those three. He clearly wasn't confident after missing his first shot... If he gets some confidence in his goal kicking he'll be right...

I thought his work ethic was reasonable, he kept chasing all day, laid 4 tackles...

Get him to work on his kicking, but surely this is something we can back our coaches to help him fix?

You are terribly easily pleased.

Or stupid.

Seriously, what the hell was he attempting to prove? Second week in a row he's gone for the unsuccessful banana kick strategy. Just kick it straight or [censored] off. It reeks of arrogance, laziness and a lack of caring.

Yes. He doesn't put any value on his goal kicking at all. Not one current full forward - except Buddy - would of even contemplated a checkside kick then. He was no where near the boundary. I would of rather have seen a left foot kick than a checkside/banana.

Look at Dunn. He took his time, gave himself plenty of space between him and the mark and really wanted to kick that goal. And he snagged it from on 50m.

I thought his work ethic was reasonable

Really?? The best thing he did all night was the 'skewiff mongrel kick' that landed in Dunn's hands. He even stuffed that kick up!

Two weeks running his inability to convert rare shots on goal is a fatal flaw for a forward.

Rare Indeed.

Newton simply has too many obvious flaws for me to believe he can ever be a consistent and valuable member of the team.

Very disappointing today, and wasted way too many opportunites the week before.

Back to Casey to work harder on the fundamentals!

I think you'll find it was none of those three. He clearly wasn't confident after missing his first shot... If he gets some confidence in his goal kicking he'll be right...

The last thing a player lacking in confidence would do, is attempt a silly banana kick.

He has all the arrogance of Buddy, but none of the talent.

As someone else said, 'bye bye'.

Newton was terrible! It was one of the worst individual performances that a player can have. He dropped about 10 marks and took one.

Why on earth did he do a bannana? The thing was that he didn't ever look like kicking that goal. But Newton still is a character, even though he will get dropped next week. It will be hillarious if he does'nt though.

I was for keeping him in, purely because of structure. Him being there allows Bate and Dunn to play more natural positions. That said, with Robbo likely to return v Cats i see no reason to persist with him. It shocks me that someone who is classified a forward at AFL level can have such a disgraceful kick on him, this whole week he should be parked in front of the goals and he needs to kick 100 in a row from the same positions as today or he should never be allowed to wear a Melbourne top again.

Unbelievable.

The last thing a player lacking in confidence would do, is attempt a silly banana kick.

Wrong. This is the first thing a player lacking in confidence would do. He was 10 metres out on a limited angle and did not have the confidence to kick it straight as that is what he tried with the first on. If he was showing arrogance he would have attempted to kick the first one which was the harder of the two with a banana.

They were even talking about Newton's attitude on SEN today - lack of passion, lack of commitment - they can see it, we can see it why can't bails. DROP HIM

Watching Newton the last couple of years (especially today), I'm not convinced he has such a attitude problem, in fact he chased as hard he could at times. When he did tackle they didn't stick. Tackling is an art too. So is kicking and he can't do that very elleither (he's not on his own in that regard). Its just that he is too slow and doesn't really possess the skills to play a key forward role at AFL level. He could work his butt off but I don't think he's going to make it. Its tempting to bag him for being soft or unmotivated but just don' think he's got it. Its not his fault. Its a shame he took mark of the year because it fooled many into thinking he had afl potential.

I find it hilarious this kid os copping a pasting for his kicking, when you all sit in silence as the highest paid player on our list loses us games week after week with his pathetic disposal.

The people of Demonland have no idea at all.

I assume it is Bruce you are alluding to. I thought Bruce was great today and has been pretty good all year. His kicking wasn't even that bad. He is certainly one of the smartest players we have and while I too get very frustrated by his disposal, he stil gives excellent value.

i see kids kick better than Newton. What sort of money would he be on? 100K plus, and can not kick TWO goals from less than 10mtrs. He did it last week too. Come on Juice earn your spot. But Bailey kept you there, he must really love you.

so shoot the kid because he cant kick straight.

we kicked 4.10, he wasnt the only culprit. miller kicks more points than goals most weeks, if he has any shots at goal. our general skills around the ground are shocking, so its not a surprise that we suck in front of goal also.

not saying there are any excuses for missing two shots at goal, but not worth dropping him for, he was obviously angry at himself also.

jaded, the attempted checkside was a clear lack of confidence shot. he didnt have the confidence to kick it straight. has not been kicking the drop punt well for the last couple of weeks so thought he had a better chance with another shot.

im not saying he is a superstar. im not saying he will make it. but lets not crucify young players every time they make mistakes.

im not saying he is a superstar. im not saying he will make it. but lets not crucify young players every time they make mistakes.

Thank god for that.

Missing not 1 but 2 shots at goal from 5 - 10 meters out (when you contribute hardly anything else) relegates a player to having no purpose what so ever - he kills us more often than not. Miller and Bate provided contests at least and I'm pretty sure that neither of them would have missed from where Newton was shooting from.

Don't shoot the messenger...for all you Bailey lovers out there, surely the coach has some method in his madness to play this bloke. It is not Newton's decision for him to get a game. If the coach thinks he is up to it (thus playing him for the majority of the game), then let it go.

The more people use this guy as the scapegoat the more MFC supporters lose credibility.

Im the same as everyone when it comes to Newton.

The question is hes a similar type to Robbo, as in big leap and Mark.

So what happened to his kicking, didnt he kick bags of goals in the last few years in the VFL.

If he had kicked straight we wouldnt be critising him so much.

so shoot the kid because he cant kick straight.

we kicked 4.10, he wasnt the only culprit. miller kicks more points than goals most weeks, if he has any shots at goal. our general skills around the ground are shocking, so its not a surprise that we suck in front of goal also.

not saying there are any excuses for missing two shots at goal, but not worth dropping him for, he was obviously angry at himself also.

jaded, the attempted checkside was a clear lack of confidence shot. he didnt have the confidence to kick it straight. has not been kicking the drop punt well for the last couple of weeks so thought he had a better chance with another shot.

AGREE well said

I'm with vanlo and big_red_fire_engine.

Maybe it's because I've never played football at any sort of semi-decent level, but how the hell is going for a banana kick, a very low percentage kick, going to help improve someone's goal kicking confidence?

If his confidence was low, he should have taken his time, gone through his routine (didn't we have a whole goal-kicking training session this week??! :wacko: ) and tried to kick through the ball. Most forwards, when they have a stinking day in front of goal, don't attempt low percentage kicks.

Given that the banana thing failed last week, you'd think he would have learnt. Of course football intelligence doesn't seem to be his strong point... then again, neither is kicking, attacking a contest or reading the play :rolleyes:

I remember when Robbo kicked all those behinds in that 2002 final against the crows. I remember Robbo been very hard on himself and going away and working really hard on his kicking. I think he made a clear improvement after that game. That is what Miller and Newton need to do. They are both not naturallly talented kicks but god we need them to work hard on this area. Would love to have seen the last 15 minutes of today's game with our score increased by 10points due to Newton kicking those goals.

Maric is meant to be a good kick for goal why is he not in the team..

I think Jack Watts kicked 5 straight....behinds today in the VFL reserves.

Robbo kicked 5.3

So lets hope that it was just the windy weather today and our forwards can improve in this are.

Not worth getting the ball if you can't hit the scoreboard.

If his confidence was low, he should have taken his time, gone through his routine (didn't we have a whole goal-kicking training session this week??! :wacko: ) and tried to kick through the ball. Most forwards, when they have a stinking day in front of goal, don't attempt low percentage kicks.

It may have been the hypothermia clouding my judgement, but today (as in previous weeks) his approach just exudes nerves. You can just tell as he's walking in he's praying not to [censored] it up. I think the banana was a product of he's thought process being so clouded that he doesn't even have the confidence to back his normal routine (not a great sign).

He just doesn't look up to the standard unfortunately. Obviously can take a hanger, but even that impact is negated by the fact that when he flies and doesn't take it he puts himself out of the contest (and out of position to apply defensive pressure). That being said, given the number of games we will lose this year and how few of our guys are assured of their spot (about half of our first 22 in pen, half in pencil?) I hope the club gives guys an assured 3-5 block of games to prove their wares, providing them with a little confidence while doing so. By that logic he should be given another crack, but it's just so hard to find the positives that he brings to the side. He was always a stop-gap solution, but I think it's time to find a stop-gap solution to that stop-gap solution. ;)