Casey Scorpions v Frankston Dolphins 28/3/09

Whispering_Jack

I saw the entire game; shame I couldn't have delayed my arrival by about 40 minutes and missed the first quarter. Any side that plays a quarter like that does not deserve to win the game.

The umpiring was somewhat strange; we got some we lost some and overall I would say we came out just on the wrong side of the ledger.

Jurrah looks the goods; fitness still an issue as he struggled to run out the game. Class is evident. Speed to burn and can kick a goal.

Newton; where to start. At the Footscray game a couple of weeks age, I was speaking to another Melbourne supporter who was opining about Newton's prodigous talent. Well, talent is as talent does. If Peter German does not play Newton in Casey's reserve team next week, then he should grow a pair! In the last quarter Sylvia ran to the 50 and kicked the ball to Newton; I was right behind the flight of the ball. It was a good kick, not a perfect kick, Newton had his work cut out. Newton literally stood there and let the defender half a step behind him take an uncontested mark. I know the difference between literally and figuratively; I repeat, he literally stood there and let the defender half a step behind him take an uncontested mark. There is zero urgency; that negates any talent he may possess.

Bail, looks allright.

Maric, class. Lack of a pre-season showing as he was looking for petrol tickets in the third quarter.

Zomer, floated in and out, played forward, back and in the ruck.

Sylvia; if he played the first quarter, I didn't notice. Worked into the game and was a class above anybody on the field in the second half.

Valenti, same old, same old. Doesn't know how to play a bad game.

McKenzie; this looks his level.

Martin; Frankston didn't really provid a matchup for him and he struggled to exert any real influence on the game. Looked good in the ruck, kicking lets him down.

Meeson was channeling Newton in the first quarter. Casey only looked to have a chance of staunching the bleeding when Martin took over in the ruck. To be fair, Meeson worked his way back into the game and was probably the best ruckman on the field over the course of the day.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good move!

If we can develop Martin into a multi-dimensional tall (hopefully we'll have more success than we did with Miller <_< ), it will help us cover a multitude of deficiencies while still ensuring that Martin doesn't miss out on senior game time due to team balance issues.

His kicking seems to be the only skill that he lacks as a forward, however goal kicking is probably one of the most fixable qualities in a player. His size, strength and marking ability are natural attributes that will most likely serve him well.

Besides, he learnt to be a defender in what, 8 weeks? Give him another 4 and he'll win the Coleman ;)

Ever heard of a player named Matthew Richardson

Frankston 12.15.87 defeated Casey 12.12.84

Ball was going into Casey's forward line as the siren sounded.

The Scorpions left their run just a little late. They allowed Frankston to break away to a three goal lead early in the final term. Players like Sylvia, Newton and Valenti all lifted but the team probably didn't deserve to win because of their poor start.

Jurrah and Maric sat out the last quarter, the latter being an outside chance of playing AFL in the next couple of weeks.

Wall was the best Casey player. We also saw a very good debut from NT's Pierce Liddle who looks to have a promising future. The team missed skipper Matthews as well as Austin Wonaeamirri who pulled out with hamstring soreness.

Mate did Liddle play ressies last week for Casey? Looked a step above that class. Veryvery disappointing bout Aussie. Especially having two hammies so close together. I hope it is something he can get on top of and it not be a continual problem over his career.

Was Maric injured to sit out the last or just needing more match fitness after his delayed start from his hip problem? He is very exciting and will be a regular goal kicker and excitment machine for us this season.

Mate did Liddle play ressies last week for Casey? Looked a step above that class. Veryvery disappointing bout Aussie. Especially having two hammies so close together. I hope it is something he can get on top of and it not be a continual problem over his career.

Was Maric injured to sit out the last or just needing more match fitness after his delayed start from his hip problem? He is very exciting and will be a regular goal kicker and excitment machine for us this season.

I would say Maric deliberately sat the last qtr out as he only played a half last week.

They normally eaze players in this way bit by bit.

Expect a full game at Casey next week before any call up to the seniors.

Ever heard of a player named Matthew Richardson

Compare Richo to Robbo. If it's a technique problem it should be correctable, which I believe is the case for Martin. Richo's problem is 99% above the shoulders. He doesn't miss when his confidence is high.

Next week Casey Sorpions are again at Casey Fields vs Coburg Tigers, Sat 1pm. I'll be at the game, so I'll post a report. I assume most here will be at the G for Dees vs Filth FC. I'll try to give an update from my i-phone at the end of each quarter, but may be difficult. It will be the last practice match before the real stuff gets started in 2 weeks time.

Next week Casey Sorpions are again at Casey Fields vs Coburg Tigers, Sat 1pm. I'll be at the game, so I'll post a report. I assume most here will be at the G for Dees vs Filth FC. I'll try to give an update from my i-phone at the end of each quarter, but may be difficult. It will be the last practice match before the real stuff gets started in 2 weeks time.

I think the Casey game has been moved to the Sunday.

Moved to avoid clash with MFC, so that listed emergencies can get a match on the weekend.

Fantastic if that's the case because I doubt whether we ever got that sort of assistance at Sandy.

Also, I found the Casey staff at the ground to be more friendly and accommodating than at TBO.

Just got in saw last 2 1/2 quarters mainly watched the forwards

Jurrah worked into it nicely got better with time didnt see him for most of last q did clever things

Sylvia played up forward and moved to the middle in the last got into his own when there got better as game went

Meesen tried hard all day worthy project so far

Stef Martin payed up forward kept presenting all day nice move to try him there missed from 30 mts kin last q

Newton played chf well to me it looked that way always up the ground is working hard at his defensive side dii god things

Valenti didnt see much but like i said wasnt watching mids or backs kicked nice goal in last when wandered down

Maric works hard all day wont be long before he is in the seniors

overall the umpires didnt give much chance to the scorps but the scorps looked lucky to be that close at the end

No Aussie as previously stated nor Linden Dunn

As for the rest of Melbourns list sorry guys didnt really look far was concentrating more on Jurrah and the rest of the forwards, alsao liked the lok of number 24 Peirce Liddle (is he the one Aaron Davey recomended)

My younger brother was best mates with Pierce Liddle while they lived in perth before moving back up to the NT (the rest of his family is from there) glad to see he has gone some way to fullfilling the talent he showed from a young age. It would be appreciated if people could mention how he goes on here.

Fantastic if that's the case because I doubt whether we ever got that sort of assistance at Sandy.

Also, I found the Casey staff at the ground to be more friendly and accommodating than at TBO.

Do you really think that Sandy went out of their way to [censored] Melbourne off as to when practice matches were played???

For christ sake...we had the best alignment going...that didn't happen by Sandy trying to bugger Melbourne up...

I'll be interested to see which Casey player some Melbourne supporters blame for holding back Michael Newton...

I look back at the Melbourne/Sandy alliance with some great memories....but when I read crap like WJ has written...well...it deserves a response

I'm pretty sure its on Saturday. But I may find out different during the week. At the moment I'm getting set for a Saturday game. And I work with the Tigers and haven't heard anything different. I don't think there is any thought about changing the game for the Scorpions. Where did you get that information from? I may be wrong as my fixture from a month ago does not exactly confirm time and date - TBA.

I'm pretty sure its on Saturday. But I may find out different during the week. At the moment I'm getting set for a Saturday game. And I work with the Tigers and haven't heard anything different. I don't think there is any thought about changing the game for the Scorpions. Where did you get that information from? I may be wrong as my fixture from a month ago does not exactly confirm time and date - TBA.

Don't listen to what they tell you at Coburg. Just follow KC at Demonland - CASEY SCORPIONS PREPARE.

Do you really think that Sandy went out of their way to piss Melbourne off as to when practice matches were played???

For christ sake...we had the best alignment going...that didn't happen by Sandy trying to bugger Melbourne up...

I'll be interested to see which Casey player some Melbourne supporters blame for holding back Michael Newton...

I look back at the Melbourne/Sandy alliance with some great memories....but when I read crap like WJ has written...well...it deserves a response

I've never rubbished the alignment but I'm sure Redleg will vouch for the difficulties he had with one of the gatekeepers trying to get into the ground on an Melbourne supporter's AFL members pass two years ago. The bloke might have only been doing his job but I know that more than 1 Melbourne member wasn't happy at the treatment.

And while the alignment was a success, there are Sandy officials going around saying what a great deal they've done in dumping Melbourne and taking on the Saints.

In any event, my comment was directed more from my own personal viewpoint at the friendly way the Casey people are accommodating Melbourne fans down there at the moment. It's a very positive and refreshing thing to see and augurs well for another successful alignment from our pont of view.

Anyway Zebraman. Keep it up because it can only help stir things along and get more people down to TBO for round 1. :lol:

Do you really think that Sandy went out of their way to piss Melbourne off as to when practice matches were played???

I've never rubbished the alignment but I'm sure Redleg will vouch for the difficulties he had with one of the gatekeepers trying to get into the ground on a Melbourne supporter's AFL members pass two years ago. The bloke might have only been doing his job but I know that more than 1 Melbourne member wasn't happy at the treatment.

And while the alignment was a success, there are Sandy officials going around saying what a great deal they've done in dumping Melbourne and taking on the Saints.

In any event, my comment was directed more from my own personal viewpoint at the friendly way the Casey people are accommodating Melbourne fans down there at the moment. It's a very positive and refreshing thing to see and augurs well for another successful alignment from our pont of view.

Anyway Zebraman. Keep it up because it can only help stir things along and get more people down to TBO for round 1. :lol:

Do you really think that Sandy went out of their way to [censored] Melbourne off as to when practice matches were played???

Touchy aren't we?

WJ's point is right though and you proved it with your throwaway line about Newton. Throughout the alignment Melbourne gave way to Sandy on most issues. Here's an example of Casey doing something for its alignment partner and it rightly gets praised. No need to throw a hissy fit now - just worry about when the Saints start embracing Frankston.

Touchy aren't we?

WJ's point is right though and you proved it with your throwaway line about Newton. Throughout the alignment Melbourne gave way to Sandy on most issues. Here's an example of Casey doing something for its alignment partner and it rightly gets praised. No need to throw a hissy fit now - just worry about when the Saints start embracing Frankston.

Bump.

NO STING by KC from Casey

The Casey Scorpions paid dearly for a slow start in their second practice match of the season against Frankston at Casey Fields on Saturday going down by 3 points after conceding a 5 goal start to the visitors.

With no points at stake the result however, was not particularly significant. The club is still experimenting with several new faces and working on familiarising itself with the playing members of new its alignment partner. In turn, a few of the Demon players were also being tried out in new positions under practice match conditions.

There was no early sting in the Scorpions' tail as the Dolphins made all the running and kicked the only four goals scored in the opening term.

Casey went into the game without two of its on ball aces from the previous week in skipper Kyle Matthews and lively Melbourne youngster Austin Womaeamirri who pulled out with a hamstring problem. This left the Dolphins with a distinct early advantage in the clearances and they moved the ball well to deservedly earn their 24-point advantage at quarter time. Forward Addam Maric was lively without being able to convert up forward while big man James Wall was the best of the Scorpions in the early going.

Frankston kicked the first goal of the second term to extend its lead and this served to awaken the home side from its slumber. Liam Jurrah combined well with Maric for their first goal and Jurrah displayed his magical gifts to boot a couple of his own. Fellow Northern Territorian Pierce Liddle also produced patches of brilliance on debut and Nick Scanlon was dangerous up forward but just when it appeared that Casey might bridge the gap Frankston kicked a late goal to take a 14-point lead into the rooms at half time.

The Dolphins were first off the mark after the main break and it took another smart goal from Jurrah to get Casey back in the hunt. Meesen and Wall were on top in the big man department and Shane Valenti was accumulating possessions in the middle. He was ably assisted by rookie Jordie McKenzie, a hard running midfielder. Once again however, Frankston was able to kick goals late in the quarter to reassert its authority on the game.

The final quarter followed a familiar pattern with the visitors kicking the opening goal and the home side having to work hard to catch up. Demons Michael Newton and Colin Sylvia lifted their work rate and a couple of late goals got the Scorpions to within three points before time ran out with the ball going forward as the final siren sounded.

Recruit Michael Stockdale was impressive with his sure ball handling for the second week in a row while Trent Zomer looked more at home this week in defence.

Casey now meets Coburg at Casey Fields in both seniors and reserves in the final hit out before the serious business of the season starts. Games start at 2pm and 11.10 am respectively.

HOW THE DEMONS FARED

Rohan Bail – playing off halfback, played a reasonable game but didn't show anything that would stamp his as a special player. Will need more time at this level.

Liam Jurrah – showed, agility, pace, skill and that touch of magic but also demonstrated that he still needs to work on his conditioning before he can make the big time. Will play AFL later this year because he knows how to kick goals and the Demons lack players of that ilk.

Jordie McKenzie – impressed for the second week as the inside mid with plenty of grunt.

Addam Maric - clever and talented with great disposal skills and knows where the goals are. Played three quarters and probably needs another good run with Casey to earn a spot at the Demons.

Stefan Martin – was tried up forward with a run on the ball and failed to flatter. Missed an easy shot from 30 metres out when the game was there to be won in the final quarter. Better suited to defence.

John Meesen - Played well in the ruck and looked composed around the ground in what was definitely the best game I have seen him play since he crossed over from Adelaide.

Michael Newton – didn't do enough to thrust his name before the selectors but showed glimpses of form at half forward going far and wide to get kicks.

Colin Sylvia – sporting a new short haircut, Sylvia flashed in and out of the game for three quarters and finally decided to switch on fully in the second half when he almost sparked a come from behind victory. When he's hot, he can be very hot and that's Melbourne's challenge – to have him focussed on the game and working hard and not on being the rock star he's unlikely ever to be.

Shane Valenti – like many of his team mates, started slowly but improved as the game unfolded. Did a lot of good work in close but could get caught out on Casey's wider open spaces.

Trent Zomer – played mainly in defence and looked more comfortable there.

Casey Scorpions 0.3.3 5.5.35 8.7.55 12.12.84

Frankston 4.3.27 7.7.49 9.12.66 12.15.87

Goals Jurrah 3 Liddle Maric Scanlon Waite 2 Newton

Best Meesen Wall Stockdale McKenzie Scanlon Liddle

The only person holding back Michael Newton is Michael Newton.

I met a lot of very nice people down at TBO, and enjoyed my trips down there to watch Sandy play.

KC, any ocmments on where jorie mckenzie is at compared to valenti? both inide mids on the rookie list, and while valenti showed some promise last year to me he seemed depth at afl level. what is mckenzies pace like?

KC, any ocmments on where jorie mckenzie is at compared to valenti? both inide mids on the rookie list, and while valenti showed some promise last year to me he seemed depth at afl level. what is mckenzies pace like?

At Casey I wouldn't be surprised if Valenti isn't anywhere near as prominent because it's a nice big ground.

It'll be a good test as to how he adapts.

ps does anyone know if Casey has released their entire playing list?

They've got 24 players on the site who were there last year but none of the new guys.

From seeing them the previous week, I have only witnessed the one Casey game. I would say he is an upgraded version with more strings to his bow. he is taller, with a bit more pace (not really quick by any stretch), skills are a touch better and he does the give, go, recieve again really well. He will be in and under dishing out one minute then looking to recieve the handball off the next where as Valent's seems to be in and under only. Has a good engine at this stage and hopefully this will improve. Has decent skills. He can take a mark too.

Overall from one viewing I'd say he is a bigger, better version of Valenti, just does more outside of dishing out hard balls.