• PODCAST LIVE @ 8:30pm      

Call: 03 9016 3666 or Skype: Demonland31
    Click Here for LIVE Chat
    If you still want to browse Demonland
    while listening to the Podcast
    choose pop up player below

TuneIn    Opens in New Tab
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Colin Sylvia- Complaints, Congratulations and Comments

Don24

37 possessions, majority effective. 4 goals. Contested marks...Yeh his game wasn't bad. Among one of his better games.

Like I've said before, I've never seen him this fit. I hope he can continue in this vein.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 possessions, majority effective. 4 goals. Contested marks...Yeh his game wasn't bad. Among one of his better games.

Like I've said before, I've never seen him this fit. I hope he can continue in this vein.

Absolutely agree.............I've never seen him run so hard and freely and unhindered........it's great to see!

He MUST now back it up again next week, not to the high of todays game, but a minimum of 20 touches and a goal is needed for him to have taken the "next step"

Green's being pretty public about wanting Sylvia to pull out his finger. Praised Sylvia today but still trying to keep Col's big head in check.

[Green is hopeful Sylvia will taken his game to another level.

"Hopefully it does, but sometimes (a performance like) that can get them into a comfort zone," he said.

"They can then think: 'Phew, I played alright and now I can relax for the next couple of weeks'.]

Saints nxt week. Defensively vry strong. Interesting few weeks for Col.

Only thing is, I couldn't work out ALL game who was playing on Jordan Lewis... Hoping it wasn't Colin because Lewis brought his own football today

Apparently Moloney had Lewis. Col's off the hook...

He's making a few people around here look mighty stupid ... :rolleyes:

Amazing what happens when you stick by players, support them and offer help when needed.

Go Col! Some of us here are with you thru thick or thin.

It's things like this I find borderline offensive.

In a perfect world I would prefer a 15-22 round player who can play games like that more often than not, or at least often enough to be considered elite. If we can't have that I'd prefer an honest trier. If we can't have that I'd prefer a complete spud that we can drop and forget, replacing with a young name that might earn his place...

The WORST possible scenario is a guy who takes 5+ years to play a handful of good games, only to drop off in form and frustrate just when he shows signs. A player like this is WORSE than a Molan, as he becomes list clogging material.

A couple of years ago we took on the premiers, and best team in footy, over in Subi and Col played a superb game kicking a small bag. He then went on to indifferent form for another two years.

It's been less than a day since he played what is out-and-out his best game of footy ever, and easily the kind of game that can be considered elite. But Colin has a LONG way to go before he earns the respect of MFC fans... at least the ones who know what they're talking about.

If he DOESN'T back it up in the next few weeks then we're back where we started. One good game does not a great player make.

In a perfect world I would prefer a 15-22 round player who can play games like that more often than not, or at least often enough to be considered elite. If we can't have that I'd prefer an honest trier. If we can't have that I'd prefer a complete spud that we can drop and forget, replacing with a young name that might earn his place...

The WORST possible scenario is a guy who takes 5+ years to play a handful of good games, only to drop off in form and frustrate just when he shows signs. A player like this is WORSE than a Molan, as he becomes list clogging material.

A couple of years ago we took on the premiers, and best team in footy, over in Subi and Col played a superb game kicking a small bag. He then went on to indifferent form for another two years.

It's been less than a day since he played what is out-and-out his best game of footy ever, and easily the kind of game that can be considered elite. But Colin has a LONG way to go before he earns the respect of MFC fans... at least the ones who know what they're talking about.

If he DOESN'T back it up in the next few weeks then we're back where we started. One good game does not a great player make.

"The ones who know what they are talking about?" or the ones who spend all their time on a message board trying to prove that they know what they are talking about..

Instead of doing what the rest of us do, supporting our players because we love our club.

Get over yourself.

Awesome game today Col. Last year and this you've really improved since you've got your body right. Keep it up.

Colin's best game for MFC no doubt. Almost single handedly pulled us out of the fire. A 10 goal + thumping was on the cards until he lifted us both in front of goals and some of his midfield work. His double side step just left of centre during the last showed that he is starting to believe in himself a little more.

He has done enough for me to stop bagging him. Here is hoping it continues.

A good analysis Dappa. As many posters have pointed out he needs to back it up.

Instead of doing what the rest of us do, supporting our players because we love our club.

Get over yourself.

I think you find that Dappa does support the players (sometimes too much IMO B) ).

And analysing a players strengths and weaknesses has nothing to do with a posters level of support. Maybe they can see things that you clearly cant or dont want to see.

Probably best if you got over yourself. I am sure others will.

Guest hangon007

With all due respect my comments where not intended to offend and if they did I apologise to you.

IMHO I just feel too many people put way tooooooo high expectations on some of our players.

Can I suggest it may be partially media driven expectations that directly correlates to where you are picked in a draft. However, I dont share that view. All drafts are not equal ... all clubs "needs" when drafting a player are not equal. Can also suggest that some players taken top 10 in one draft might not make top 40 in the next and visa versa. However, the media & some supporters "expectations" dont seem to differ from draft to draft.

AFL football is a tough game and its impossible to play blinders week in week out over the course of a season. You just have too many other factors you have to consider. Calling for players to be "traded" for this and that reason is naive and not what we need when you are 16th on the ladder. Lets leave that up to our "friends" at Tigerland ... we don't eat our own.

Players mature at different rates. Currently we are in a building phase where players shall be "asked" to play modified learning roles from week to week. Now some of these roles will be "unsuited". So to judge a player playing in an unsuited role is grossly unfair ... IMHO.

Lets just get behind the boys support them week in week out, go to the games, treat them with respect. Ok ... I also not naive enough to think they will "all" be there next year, I know that, but lets not bag them while they are in the red and the blue.

And Stan Alves on 774 gave him 3 votes - best on ground (Dermy gave him 1 vote over at SEN).

But of course Stan's a mature head :lol:

And Dermy's a Hawk...(granted Alves is probably a Demon:P but far more objective than Derm)

Amazing what happens when you stick by players, support them and offer help when needed.

Go Col! Some of us here are with you thru thick or thin.

No, he's not making people around here look stupid. As much as I am a fan of his ability, previous to this season he has frustrated me too with the ever inconsistent good games/bad games, so too the many posters who think he should be 'elite' having been selected at No.3 in the 2003 draft.

The bottom line he is what I call a footballer's footballer. One whom commands respect on the field when on song. He's finally fit right now, and Colin now, whilst fit is proving to be a very handy utility for Dean Bailey.

I think you know who the current spuds are....Col is not a spud.

How many years has Dunn, Newton played now? Some guys haven't even played a handful of good games yet.

Before this season started, Davey was one of those in the frustrating category. Hasn't Bailey done wonders for some of the players belief and improvement. Don't you think?

I think you mean "one good game doesn't make a great player."

How true. Lucky for Col he's not a great player. Just because he was selected at pick 3, didn't guarantee he was going to be a great player either!

Dappa, I suggest you look at the greater picture and see what Sylvia offers, then look at what each individual of the team offers at present and then weigh up who takes on more importance. Forget about how they arrived to the club and what pick they came at, or how long ago for that matter.

Just out of interest, where do you see Ricky Petterd?

With all due respect my comments where not intended to offend and if they did I apologise to you.

IMHO I just feel too many people put way tooooooo high expectations on some of our players.

Can I suggest it may be partially media driven expectations that directly correlates to where you are picked in a draft.

Bingo!

Not at all. This is what we should have seen already. Great Game on sunday night. Colin Imposed Himself. He Can Do it. Good he has been well paid for a few years now.

I shall keep the microscope on him for the rest of the year, Well Done Col, maybe now you will believe in your abilities.

Would love to see a few 60 metre Bombs through the sticks in september Col. Just Do it, you know you can....

"The ones who know what they are talking about?" or the ones who spend all their time on a message board trying to prove that they know what they are talking about..

My line of work affords me a lot of time for this sort of thing. Believe me when I say I pore over the games a lot more than I spend time on this board.

I do. But not unconditionally. Blind support of mediocrity saw us fall well short for the last ten years. If you're happy to throw complete support behind a guy who has not nearly repaid the faith shown in him (yet), then god luck to you. Each to their own,

Get over yourself.

I wasn't aware I was under myself. Thanks for the advice though Mum... I'm pleased I have you here to help keep me in line.

Awesome game today Col. Last year and this you've really improved since you've got your body right. Keep it up.

All silliness aside, I admire your love of your club, and players. Honestly. However I have seen blind faith, and repeated selection of incumbents (Yze, Godfrey, Ward) lead to a squandering of what I believe the best period I've seen for the club in my life... 2004-2006. It's not enough to say you love 6 players out of 22. We need to have 22, and even 40 that will contribute something regularly. The facts are that Colin isn't there yet. Notice I never said he wasn't capable of fulfilling his potential, just that he hasn't yet.

Consider your namesake. Scarcely a more talented player at the dees in the last 20 years. Only Farmer, Yze, and maybe Stinger could knock him off, and honestly none of those guys had the gifts of Jacka. And what did our faith net us? Nothing. An intensely burning star that flickered out before he could win his club the tupperware. Then consider Neitz... the other Jakovich... I'd take their careers over Alan's, and though great players, even skilled players, they're not even in the vicinity of what Alan was capable of. Yet they are ten times the presence in the history of the game. Now consider PJ, my own current lovechild. He has nowhere near the talent... has had a slew of injuries and a lot of time and faith. He has nothing but determination on his side... the result? 3 solid games in a row. I'd take 3 25-30 possession games from Colin over 1 UNBELIEVABLE game, followed by 2 where he did nothing...

Again, to each their own. I think I'm just getting sick of seeing a guy frustrate, then play 1 good game, and then he's a saint.

I think you find that Dappa does support the players (sometimes too much IMO B) ).

And analysing a players strengths and weaknesses has nothing to do with a posters level of support. Maybe they can see things that you clearly cant or dont want to see.

Nothing wrong with support. I just prefer the kind that's unrefutable.

Actually, I thought this might happen. It's me who should apologise. VERY poor choice of words. I think I meant that I find these posts "frustrating" not offensive. Pay me no mind, that was mostly hot air.

You're preaching to the converted with your points about draft position and media attention. As we always repeat, once recruited, every player is equal. You'll find I'm basing my grading of Colin on what I've seen him do (what he's proven he has the capability to do) versus what he ACTUALLY does. To prove my point, that game he just played was something VERY special. That many touches, of that quality, PLUS marking, PLUS distance on kicks, PLUS hardness, PLUS tackling, PLUS goals... Davey, Moloney, these guys all play great games, but rarely do all of that. In other words, the skillset he brings to the game is the kind that, when utilised enough, has an "Ablett" like effect. When he plays well, he could win games on his own. Now given that he's just about the only guy on the list that CAN do that, I still find myself asking "why hasn't he?" So again we're back at the start. When he DOES play a good month, or two, then he'll have EARNED respect. Not just received it by default from a small group of fans starved of any kind of genuine excitement.

Lets just get behind the boys support them week in week out, go to the games, treat them with respect. Ok ... I also not naive enough to think they will "all" be there next year, I know that, but lets not bag them while they are in the red and the blue.

Agreed. I never meant to "bag" Col. Just wanted to temper the enthusiasm with some realism. The benefit is twofold... - If he plays a few good games, it'll be all the sweeter, since, under a more powerful microscope, he will have unequivocally will have earned support. - If he goes missing again, there will be less shock, and less angst from us...

I think you know who the current spuds are....Col is not a spud.

Agreed. Though that was my point originally. He's not played enough good footy yet for us to select him without blinking. He's not bad enough to cut, but not good enough to have complete faith in.

I think you mean "one good game doesn't make a great player."

Nope. I meant "one good game does not a great player make." It's a turn of phrase. Surprised you've not come across it here more often.

How true. Lucky for Col he's not a great player. Just because he was selected at pick 3, didn't guarantee he was going to be a great player either!

Dappa, I suggest you look at the greater picture and see what Sylvia offers, then look at what each individual of the team offers at present and then weigh up who takes on more importance. Forget about how they arrived to the club and what pick they came at, or how long ago for that matter.

Yup. I have actually never really marked Col as a "pick 3." As I suggested above, having watched him closely, I mark him on what he CAN do versus what he ACTUALLY does. There's still a gulf... and my point was proven last weekend. How many MFC players on the list currently even have the CAPABILITY of doing what he did? Bruce gets numbers but doesn't hurt. Davey gets (or used to get) goals, kicks, damaging set-ups, but not the amount of marks and not the distance on his kicks. Nor does he kick goals from the midfield. Moloney, McLean, Jones get a lot of it (though only Brock gets 35+ touches) but none of them kick that straight, or kick bags. Morton got that many touches but didn't cause as much damage...

In a nutshell, it's like we all keep saying, it was pretty much everything you could ask from one soul on the ground. Even 70% of that would be a game to be proud of. So why did we have to wait 6 years? Heck, not even the waiting bothers me. Not if he can do it again... and again... and again...

Just out of interest, where do you see Ricky Petterd?

That a rhetorical question?

I love him. Massive faith. I think he has all the tools and then some. But as the fans who watch him closely will say, there's a bi of work to be done. I think they need to decide WHERE to play him. I think he may need a better approach to his training, as he drifts in and out of games, perhaps due to a lack of engine. To be honest, it's a tough question that one, and I have no answer except to say that I don't mind him forward. Don't mind him in defence either. Even a wing would suit. It's only been twenty games, and I don;t think we've seen what he can do yet. If he monsters a game as a forward when he puts weight on, perhaps we could see an O'Keefe type. Tallish, runs, and is courageous. I dunno though. What did you think?

Sylvia has finally raised the bar to the level we recruited him in the first place

Some players go on from here and develop into champions

Lots dont (aka Cuthbertson)

Its all up to Colin now

Whilst we all want to see some consistency, I have to say that I didn't think Sylvia had that game in him. Let's hope it's the break-out game we crave.

He reinforced in my mind that he can be a great finisher in a quality team.

That a rhetorical question?

I love him. Massive faith. I think he has all the tools and then some. But as the fans who watch him closely will say, there's a bi of work to be done. I think they need to decide WHERE to play him. I think he may need a better approach to his training, as he drifts in and out of games, perhaps due to a lack of engine. To be honest, it's a tough question that one, and I have no answer except to say that I don't mind him forward. Don't mind him in defence either. Even a wing would suit. It's only been twenty games, and I don;t think we've seen what he can do yet. If he monsters a game as a forward when he puts weight on, perhaps we could see an O'Keefe type. Tallish, runs, and is courageous. I dunno though. What did you think?

No. I just wanted to know your thoughts on him. Because its relevant in that both Ricky Petterd and Colin Sylvia are listed each week in the 'Record' as the 'Utility's' for Melbourne. They both can play back and forward or even utilised within the midfield. They both provide Bailey with options for match-ups and strategies on match day. It has been only 20 games and yet much like Sylvia, Petterd shows glimpses and teases Melbourne supporters.

I'd be absolutely wrapped if he became an O'Keefe type. But that's a huge call. What I would like to see from him is much like Sylvia's game on Sunday. But I don't think he can produce that. His kicking is scratchy and no where near Sylvia's kicking. So far he hasn't shown a hell of a lot in the contested marking. However, I'm prepared to give him a little latitude and let him mature a bit more and get this season under his belt, having come back from a unique situation/injury.

Great to hear Brock on the channel 10 footy program saying Colin gets ahead of himself after a good game. "They" told him good game but move on to next week and do it 3-4 games in a row. Also Colin needed to find something to do outside of footy and has started to do that doing a "couple of programs" outside of the game and club...

Great to hear Brock on the channel 10 footy program saying Colin gets ahead of himself after a good game. "They" told him good game but move on to next week and do it 3-4 games in a row. Also Colin needed to find something to do outside of footy and has started to do that doing a "couple of programs" outside of the game and club...

Good to hear about him doing something out of the club.

Hopefully he does move onto next week and play consistant footy.

Looking forward to seeing how Col goes about it this week. Wouldn't expect him to have another blinder like he did on Sunday. It was an exceptional game.

But hopefully he can continue to build on the form he has shown for most of the season and continue to make a genuine contribution.

I had pretty much given up on Col becoming what we all hoped he would when we drafted him at number 3. By now, I was simply hoping he could become a good honest player.

But his game on Sunday night was exactly the sort of game I think we have all been hoping he could play.

This was his make or break season. Hopefully the penny has dropped.

Keep up the good work Col.

Still waiting to see how he's made anyone look stupid...?

Absolutely, the guy has enough tools to be anything and all is forgiven because of one fantastic game as a HFF?

His value will rise when we become a better team and have cleaner users of the ball to put it on a platter for him.

Bailey mentioned in his after match press conference that Colin relies on his teammates to play well -i.e. he doesn't get his own footy, he is beholden to those up field and should be humbled by that fact.

That is why I am far more interested in the job of those upfield...