Intraclub Match Day

pitmaster

I hope those ar'nt our new clash jumpers for the season!

Can anybody confirm if that is the case or shed some light on the topic please?

I think they are. Especially with the Herald Sun article this morning stating that "The Demon is back".

I like them and don't much not to like.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope those ar'nt our new clash jumpers for the season!

Can anybody confirm if that is the case or shed some light on the topic please?

I think the clash jumpers ( red and white) look great....maybe the demon could have been better. Now we won't clash with any other club...why that insipid revolting silver one last year was beyond thinking.

Some great pics of the intra club game on demonology.... worth a look.

He was tagging Brock in the middle in the first half and kept him very quiet, then followed bruce for a while, had time to go forward and kick a goal. Got a lot of the ball and was very clean.

That's very encouraging. I think his future is as a run with player.

Interested by this on the Scorpions Website:

"Looking to build the best alignment in the VFL."

How has there not yet been an official announcement?

I can't recall any great fanfare, but this is on the MFC website (so it's obviously official from MFC's perspective):

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/VFL/tabid/7549/default.aspx

Bate and sylvia were quite for their standards but bate kicked a couple in the end.

In that case one could be forgiven for thinking he had slept in and missed the game.

That's probably unfair, but I can't remember a Melbourne player that's received as much unwarranted hype as Sylvia.

IMHO he's very much a bit-part player who hasn't cemented a role in the side so far.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
Big Red, I wonder if Sylvia was not going as hard as he might to ensure his body is o.k. Moloney too for that matter. That might be just wildly optimistic.

Pah! Like Sylvia has done every year and in every game for the red and blue so far. About time he put his body on the line and actually did something to justify the money we pay him. Intra-club or not - it's a Demon ball and if you can't put your body on the line for it then we should just trade you to the Dockers for all their first 3 picks.

We need to remember it is an intraclub scratch match, the first real hit out of 2009, the young kids want to impress the players that have been around for a few years just want to use it to some touch under pressure. I'm happy Sylvia and co that played and had a run. Over the next 4 weeks you hope they all continue to improve and when the season proper starts we can make a better assessment of each player.

I'll give a few words for what I thought of some of the boys...

The ones I can remember anyway

Wonaeamirri - Was BOG, he had a very good day, the weight that he lost seems to have really added to his agility and he was very impressive... (even had a very lucky call from the umpire in a marking contest with Warnock, it was a total joke that they give him that mark)

Garland - Was good, he has defender written all over him, long arms and good pace. He beat Newton, and had a good contest when on Miller. It was a good game and looks like Garland isn't a one year wonder.

Newton - Dropped marks, often spoiled by Garland, and at one point out muscled by Morton..... Wasn't very happy at all, but I tried to think positive, and trick myself into believeing Garland was just way to good of a player.

Miller - Had a good day, was imposing up forward and kicked 3 goals. He did well on both Garland and Warnock.... Even in a scratch match he was talkative, always in Garlands ear having a joke (the shy Tassie boy didn't seem to dare say anything back.... Warnock on the other hand....)

Morton - Such skill.... He runs to the right spots, finds space and knows what he is doing, will be a star!!

Jetta - Really really really liked Jetta. I was very happy we drafted him as I thought he was the type of player who could make an early impact, and Saturday proved this to me. Strong overhead mark for his size and alot of fight, will be a player.

Valenti - Had a good game, he may be a limited player but of what he can do, he does pretty damn well.

Bennell - Has good skill and pace, while he was a bit of an unknown at draft time I can see why West Coast were trying to keep him quite, looks like he could be a good defender.

Warnock - Seems to get missed in alot of the future talk, being replaced by Martin as the big full back for alot of people future best 22's.... But the guy can play, he is an excellent stopper

Sylvia - Didn't have a massive day but did enough to keep my hopes alive. He was strong when it came to cutting off the ball.... overall he had a decent game

Mclean - Was obviously being eased in as he was not at full pace, still it was good to see him out there getting a touch

Meeson - I couldn't help but laugh whenever he had the ball, there were times he used his speed and size to get around a player, but would then completely botch the handpass.

Petterd - Had a decent hit out, got his hands on the footy a few times and took a nice mark up forward, I liked what I saw.

Grimes - Looked pretty good to me, isn't what you would call an athlete but seems pretty smart in the way he goes about it, I liked his skills

Overall it was a good day... the most noticeable player was Wonaeamirri, he was lean, he had a new number and he took the game on, I was a big fan of his output.

Morton was looking great, and really pleased me to see how he was playing.

I believe I was correct with my original thoughts on Jetta when we drafted him, he should be the player who really gets a go this year, I see him playing a fair bit of footy.

Other things of note were that Melbourne fans have no idea.... the amount of people who thought Stef Martin was Jeff White because of the new number was astonishing....

Casey Fields is an excellent set up and the ground looked superb!

However all my comments above are probably useless..... as I spent alot of my day watching the runner.... sure he didn't get a kick but he ran well!!

Peoples constant bagging of Sylvia is getting to the point of Yze_Magics bagging of Bruce....

Bottom line, he isn't a bad player, and if anyone is overhyping him it's you guys that bag him for not being our best player, he is easily in our best 22 and I think you people might need to lower your hopes on him a bit....

He is a good player who could be very good, but thats it, just because he isn't a star doesn't mean he isn't a good player.... Get over yourselves.

However all my comments above are probably useless..... as I spent alot of my day watching the runner.... sure he didn't get a kick but he ran well!!

I had a dear old lady sitting next to me for the 1st half. Every time a player came off she asked me if that's Jack. The 1st time she asked i said no thats valenti, I think jacks a little taller :lol: . Made me laugh! (Good hussel #4!)

but he will be worth 100's if not 1000's of new members! I can't remember the last time we had somebody like this that people come to watch 1 player. its exciting and looking forward to 10 weeks time when his ready to play!

Peoples constant bagging of Sylvia is getting to the point of Yze_Magics bagging of Bruce....

Bottom line, he isn't a bad player, and if anyone is overhyping him it's you guys that bag him for not being our best player, he is easily in our best 22 and I think you people might need to lower your hopes on him a bit....

He is a good player who could be very good, but thats it, just because he isn't a star doesn't mean he isn't a good player.... Get over yourselves.

Good post. Too many posters judging Sylvia on the player posters dreamt he could be rather than the player he actually is.

but he will be worth 100's if not 1000's of new members! I can't remember the last time we had somebody like this that people come to watch 1 player. its exciting and looking forward to 10 weeks time when his ready to play!

Whoa horsey. Jack Watts could be that iconic player in 3 years time and if he is the "star" will be a crowd and member magnet. But FCS, there is alot of water (think Ingham!) to flow under the bridge before he is at that stage. There is no surity that he will indeed be considered for selection at such an early stage.

Whoa horsey. Jack Watts could be that iconic player in 3 years time and if he is the "star" will be a crowd and member magnet. But FCS, there is alot of water (think Ingham!) to flow under the bridge before he is at that stage. There is no surity that he will indeed be considered for selection at such an early stage.

Rhino are you suggesting that JW is not responsible for new members signing up already? 2.5k for a practice match for last years wooden spooners isn't a bad figure at all considering the game was moved last minute. I think you could be selling him a little short, many there on Sat were there to see JW (not nesicarly only JW, but most would have been there to have a look at him).

Does anyone know how many were at the 08 intra club game?

I was wrapped that the club did not play him are are taking the "safe" approach to his and other's conditioning. Not withstanding this he is currently one of our most marketable players moving forward (apologies to Davey and Wonna).

Rhino are you suggesting that JW is not responsible for new members signing up already? 2.5k for a practice match for last years wooden spooners isn't a bad figure at all considering the game was moved last minute. I think you could be selling him a little short, many there on Sat were there to see JW (not nesicarly only JW, but most would have been there to have a look at him).

Does anyone know how many were at the 08 intra club game?

I was wrapped that the club did not play him are are taking the "safe" approach to his and other's conditioning. Not withstanding this he is currently one of our most marketable players moving forward (apologies to Davey and Wonna).

If anyone went out to Casey to watch JW act as a runner, then they really need to get a life.

But I agree, he's potentially one of our few marketable commodities.

Agreed, I dont think we will see JW much this year. This is a big year in his development as a person and footballer and he, his family and the club won't want to throw him too the wolves just yet.

Monty you have a bad case of the hoopla.

I trust the ground broke into rapturious applause every time he dashed out with a coach's message

You made the earlier comment.....

but he will be worth 100's if not 1000's of new members!

I have no doubt about his marketability in time but aside from the over excited few, most people need to realise his opportunities this year will be managed and his impact will be limited.

Wona could be something special. Davey might be popular with the kids but he getting a bit long in the tooth re on ground impact.

Monty you have a bad case of the hoopla.

Maybe i was in the sun for too long over the weekend!

I trust the ground broke into rapturious applause every time he dashed out with a coach's message

Did i miss the media release stating that watts would not play on sat? I think a lot turned up just to see him play, and talking to a few of the punters waiting for the tucker shop at 1/2 time the majority had turned up for that general reason. I think your selling his current impact to the club in general a little short be it playing or not.

for the record, I was close to the bench and yes there where times where there was some applause as he ran messages!. (Good hussel #4!)

............... Does anyone know how many were at the 08 intra club game?

Maybe 100 including players and staff. It was played in Canberra

I think you could be selling him a little short, many there on Sat were there to see JW (not nesicarly only JW, but most would have been there to have a look at him).

Actually, I was hoping to get a look at Jurrah. He looked ok playing kick to kick on the sidelines while the rest were warming up. ;p

Good post. Too many posters judging Sylvia on the player posters dreamt he could be rather than the player he actually is.

And exactly what player is he?

Too inconsistent and would have been great trade bait to Carltank or the Shockers for a decent return in the last two years. Or next.

Over-hyped and overrated. He's the next best thing to Johhno we've got atm.