Major Sponsor

iv'a worn smith

Wouldn't it be fantastic 'IF' our beloved Demons came out this week against Hawthorn and showed all the grit, determination and might and Dee-molished the Hawks (Premiers '08) to the tune of 50+ points. Do you think we'd have prospective sponsors lining up at our offices at the "G" next week?

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't it be fantastic 'IF' our beloved Demons came out this week against Hawthorn and showed all the grit, determination and might and Dee-molished the Hawks (Premiers '08) to the tune of 50+ points. Do you think we'd have prospective sponsors lining up at our offices at the "G" next week?

Probably not, considering Hawthorn have come out and said they will have a grossly undermanned squad, and the fact our preseason started about 2 weeks after their season ended, one win against an undermanned and less prepared opponent isn't going to light up the eyes of a company with a $million to throw around

But I'll take the 50+ point win though

I totally agree. I don't like going into a new season without sponsorship, it is kinda suicidal.

West Brom in the English Premier League are going through this year without a major sponsor because no-one would meet their valuation.

It is a very brave move but one they thought was worthwhile rather than to potentially devalue future deals. It may pay off if they stay up this year (which at the moment is >50%).

Not advocating this for MFC, but it's an interesting parallel.

x2.

How many times have we heard that a sponsor was very close? Rumours that it was going to be named on draft day, on the PSD, at the AGM....

x3.

Geez, I was just providing some news.

Don't get put off. Most people on here love hearing the bits and pieces that other people hear. It is all part of the fun.

I share your concerns about sponsorship but I don't think your concerns about being kept in the dark are legitimate. It fact the matters that you are reffering to are matters for the club and should and will only be released at the right time. This actually reflects positively on the club.

Ie: It would be irresponsible and unprofessional to release details of a potential sponsorship deal until the deal was done.

I agree entirely.

I'm not particularly interested in the Club coming out with a 'hey, we haven't forgotten about getting a sponsor' message every so often - I'm confident that they're aware we should be getting a sponsor, and it's been addressed enough already (ie. AGM, press comments).

Anyone who compared a Premier League team with an AFL team in any light is kidding themselves. Firstly, Premier League teams don't even really need sponsorship - they get substantial funds from television rights (which are international) as well as ticket prices, which are substantially higher than ours. Also, I believe they get a guaranteed figure? Something in the $4-5 Million range. History also shows that once you make it to the Premier League, money rolls in. Then you can add on a sponsor, which, depending on the team, can be substantially higher than any deal any AFL club could ever get.

Melbourne need a sponsor. Under no circumstances can we survive without one. People seem to be underestimating the damage playing even one game without a sponsor will do. If we begin the season without one, we are in strife...if we aren't already. Sponsors pretty much pay weekly, or every time the players walk our with apparel that has the sponsor logo on it, as well as sponsorship placement around the ground at our home games. What's going to make up for those lost funds? We're already running at a loss...

We're going to be playing at the MCG with no sponsorship around the stands. We're going to be a laughing stock. Don't worry about only the financial circumstances. Imagine how we're going to look on a public front and to possible future members in "our" new home at Casey.

If we don't have a sponsor by the start of the season, questions need to be answered. I understand that times are tough with the financial crisis and the bushfires atm, but really, we should have had one shortly after primus jumped ship. And I mean, how can there not be ONE damn company in the entire WORLD with even small stakes in Australia that want to sign up? What about the supposed "recession proof" entertainment industry? JB Hi-Fi has announced record profits and expect a big Q1 for 2009. This is amid a possible recession and package from the government.

It's really annoying me. I'm working in an industry that is flourishing and I know for a fact that not all industries are struggling. It's really getting on my nerves now.

Anyone who compared a Premier League team with an AFL team in any light is kidding themselves. Firstly, Premier League teams don't even really need sponsorship - they get substantial funds from television rights (which are international) as well as ticket prices, which are substantially higher than ours. Also, I believe they get a guaranteed figure? Something in the $4-5 Million range. History also shows that once you make it to the Premier League, money rolls in. Then you can add on a sponsor, which, depending on the team, can be substantially higher than any deal any AFL club could ever get.

Melbourne need a sponsor. Under no circumstances can we survive without one. People seem to be underestimating the damage playing even one game without a sponsor will do. If we begin the season without one, we are in strife...if we aren't already. Sponsors pretty much pay weekly, or every time the players walk our with apparel that has the sponsor logo on it, as well as sponsorship placement around the ground at our home games. What's going to make up for those lost funds? We're already running at a loss...

We're going to be playing at the MCG with no sponsorship around the stands. We're going to be a laughing stock. Don't worry about only the financial circumstances. Imagine how we're going to look on a public front and to possible future members in "our" new home at Casey.

If we don't have a sponsor by the start of the season, questions need to be answered. I understand that times are tough with the financial crisis and the bushfires atm, but really, we should have had one shortly after primus jumped ship. And I mean, how can there not be ONE damn company in the entire WORLD with even small stakes in Australia that want to sign up? What about the supposed "recession proof" entertainment industry? JB Hi-Fi has announced record profits and expect a big Q1 for 2009. This is amid a possible recession and package from the government.

It's really annoying me. I'm working in an industry that is flourishing and I know for a fact that not all industries are struggling. It's really getting on my nerves now.

Totally agree This situation is getting to the Ridiculous Stage. We want the MCG to be "our Home" can't even Put a sponsors name around the Ground!! We are delusional if we believe we can survive this. Bumpy Ride is coming on-Severe turbulence!...

quote 'why you little'

"We are delusional if we believe we can survive this. Bumpy Ride is coming on-Severe turbulence!..."

Let's get a bit of rational perspective into this.

It costs about 30 million to field the Demons for a season. A good sponsor would provide us with ONE of those 30 mill.So only achieving "half a sponsorship " for a season isn't the end of the world.

Granted we need every cent we can get. We could probably take on a "bargain basement" sponsor at $500,000. At present we're risking missing out on half a mill. against seeking the full value sponsor.

The AFL know they've burnt us with the draw, and our inability to attract a sponsor is partly their own doing. They won't kick us out at this stage. I'm hopeful that the world economic situation will turn around in a year or two, and sponsors will be easier to find ....just when Grimes, Watts, Wonna , Cheney, Jurrah,Spencer, and Bails etc will be be hitting their straps.

When the Demons win a flag, they have a tendency to proceed on to three in a row!!!!! It'll happen! Then the sponsors will be lining up!

quote 'why you little'

"We are delusional if we believe we can survive this. Bumpy Ride is coming on-Severe turbulence!..."

Let's get a bit of rational perspective into this.

It costs about 30 million to field the Demons for a season. A good sponsor would provide us with ONE of those 30 mill.So only achieving "half a sponsorship " for a season isn't the end of the world.

Granted we need every cent we can get. We could probably take on a "bargain basement" sponsor at $500,000. At present we're risking missing out on half a mill. against seeking the full value sponsor.

The AFL know they've burnt us with the draw, and our inability to attract a sponsor is partly their own doing. They won't kick us out at this stage. I'm hopeful that the world economic situation will turn around in a year or two, and sponsors will be easier to find ....just when Grimes, Watts, Wonna , Cheney, Jurrah,Spencer, and Bails etc will be be hitting their straps.

When the Demons win a flag, they have a tendency to proceed on to three in a row!!!!! It'll happen! Then the sponsors will be lining up!

30 Mill a year. That was a while ago. The interstate clubs are turning over 50 Mill These days. No sponsor & a Terrible Draw for exposure is only going to make this Gulf larger. I am not trying to be Dark & Negative here-just the Bare Truth. If we do not win games this year we are in Big Trouble. The AFL dont care. Demetrio has already stated that "We stand for nothing" Sponsorship is worth far more than just the initial payment. Bumpy ride ahead Jack-Fasten your seat belt!

quote 'why you little' .

" Bumpy ride ahead Jack-Fasten your seat belt!"

I'm used to bumpy rides, "W.Y.L.",I've supported the Demons for more than 50 years. I'm banking on Jimmy and his team to get us over this bump. Stick with them! Don't give up!!

Have you read "The Red Fox"?? How does Demetriou dare to suggest that our Club stands for nothing!

quote 'why you little' .

" Bumpy ride ahead Jack-Fasten your seat belt!"

I'm used to bumpy rides, "W.Y.L.",I've supported the Demons for more than 50 years. I'm banking on Jimmy and his team to get us over this bump. Stick with them! Don't give up!!

Have you read "The Red Fox"?? How does Demetriou dare to suggest that our Club stands for nothing!

Ime Totally with You Jack. I too have been Following the Demons for about 40 years so yes i have felt those bumps to. This time though i think we are in Huge trouble (fitzroy style) if we cannot get our Finances sorted real quick. I Have a lot of Faith in Jim & Cameron Schwabb But i Certainly did not expect us to be still looking for a sponsor at this point. I am yet to read the Red Fox (was Hoping to score it for christmas, but alas it didn't arrive!! My next Book For sure. I Bleed red & Blue Like you Jack. I went through School in the 70's getting laughed at for following melbourne. (what's changed?) If we don't start winning games & making Money for ourselves we are finished. The AFL have made it clear by the Fact they want 2 new Teams in the Comp. If Victorian Clubs Fall over-Too Bad.. I disagree but what can we do. Demetrio & His AFL cronies are Just the Usual Corporate Junkies of the modern world. So the Demons have to fend for ourselves. Winning & only Winning Will Bring Sponsors. Do you Know that most of the Interstate Clubs have Sponsor waiting Lists?? This is what we are up against....

Guest hangon007
Ime Totally with You Jack. I too have been Following the Demons for about 40 years so yes i have felt those bumps to. This time though i think we are in Huge trouble (fitzroy style) if we cannot get our Finances sorted real quick. I Have a lot of Faith in Jim & Cameron Schwabb But i Certainly did not expect us to be still looking for a sponsor at this point. I am yet to read the Red Fox (was Hoping to score it for christmas, but alas it didn't arrive!! My next Book For sure. I Bleed red & Blue Like you Jack. I went through School in the 70's getting laughed at for following melbourne. (what's changed?) If we don't start winning games & making Money for ourselves we are finished. The AFL have made it clear by the Fact they want 2 new Teams in the Comp. If Victorian Clubs Fall over-Too Bad.. I disagree but what can we do. Demetrio & His AFL cronies are Just the Usual Corporate Junkies of the modern world. So the Demons have to fend for ourselves. Winning & only Winning Will Bring Sponsors. Do you Know that most of the Interstate Clubs have Sponsor waiting Lists?? This is what we are up against....

What we can do is start taking action, actions that can be self implemented, bums on seats, TV ratings, buying memberships, attending footy club functions etc

Winning is not the only solution ... its only part of the solution.

Sorry but too many around here want "other" people to solve our problems.

If it is to be ... its up to me!

What we can do is start taking action, actions that can be self implemented, bums on seats, TV ratings, buying memberships, attending footy club functions etc

Winning is not the only solution ... its only part of the solution.

Sorry but too many around here want "other" people to solve our problems.

If it is to be ... its up to me!

Most of us here pay our memberships and go to the games. It really gets on my nerves when people say "let's take action". We can only do so much. Us turning up to games and getting our bums on seats really means nothing if the people at the game aren't new members and supporters. We go to the games. That's not the problem. Even if you get every member living in Melbourne to the games, it still won't make a difference.

I pay my membership I go to the games. I donate my money and sometimes my time. Now, it's up to the people who run the club to get things done - manage the finances, get a sponsor, attract new members. In my 20 years as a member, I've never seen in off-field team really do that at the MFC. You say "it's up to me" or "let's do something about it" like it's so simple. Be a realist, because only when you acknowledge the problem can it be solved.

The truth is, we, as members, can't keep this club floating on its own. Even if we get 30,000 members. We can only do so much. Going to games, paying membership is only a small part of it. You're totally underestimating how important it is to have a stable off-field environment.

Each AFL club is no longer a football club - they're a business. 100% a business. You can be so successful on the field and with 40,000 members, but if you can't manage the team off-field, you're gone. It doesn't matter if you get 50,000 to every home game. Look at Collingwood. The loss they had this year. McGuire admitted that it was because of poor business decisions. Yet, their members do a lot of what you're telling us to do - go to games and get bums on seats. That's not what it's about anymore. It definitely helps to get bums on seats, big crowds and big numbers, but that's really only a drop in the pond. If you have dimwits working in the office, us being at the games really won't make a difference.

So yes, right now, I want other people to solve the situation because I've done my part and so have many others. The only people that care are the people that pay their money and go to the games. I want the people who are supposed to run the club to do their job.

Make no mistake. Whether we reach 30,000 members or 32,000 members, this will not guarantee a financially viable club.

10 years ago 20,000+ members was considered to be the benchmark to secure the future of the club. Now it's 30,000+. In ten years time it might be 40,000+...

What is critical is those members to attend and spend more on merchandise, etc. What is also critical is those elected to the positions within the club to do their job well (including coaches and players) - ensuring the future viability of the club.

The job is never finished, whether in pursuit of a premiership or having achieved a premiership, the club needs ongoing help from everyone associated, regardless if you've helped in the past and you think you've done enough. If you truly love the club and want success, you'll continue to help whether digging deep into your pocket or 'dee'voting your time.

Guest hangon007
Most of us here pay our memberships and go to the games. It really gets on my nerves when people say "let's take action". We can only do so much. Us turning up to games and getting our bums on seats really means nothing if the people at the game aren't new members and supporters. We go to the games. That's not the problem. Even if you get every member living in Melbourne to the games, it still won't make a difference.

Sorry but the facts dont support your argument.

With all due respect we had one of the lowest memberships in the AFL in 2008 - fact!

We are 14/16 for attendances in 2008 - fact! - See 2008 AFL Regular Season Attendance

If we had a membership of 45,000 plus with average game attendances of 45,000-50,000 we would have sponsors hanging all over us. However, we dont, hence the problem.

I pay my membership I go to the games. I donate my money and sometimes my time.

Great I wish we had more like you. Like 10,000 more. However, sadly that facts are we dont ... at this present stage in time.

Now, it's up to the people who run the club to get things done - manage the finances, get a sponsor, attract new members. In my 20 years as a member, I've never seen in off-field team really do that at the MFC. You say "it's up to me" or "let's do something about it" like it's so simple. Be a realist, because only when you acknowledge the problem can it be solved.

The truth is, we, as members, can't keep this club floating on its own. Even if we get 30,000 members. We can only do so much. Going to games, paying membership is only a small part of it. You're totally underestimating how important it is to have a stable off-field environment.

One minute your saying "Winning & only Winning Will Bring Sponsors." next you telling me a completely different story its "people who run the club to get things done"

With all due respect that exactly what I said ... "Winning is not the only solution ... its only part of the solution."

Each AFL club is no longer a football club - they're a business. 100% a business.

I know 1 legend of the MFC football club that would disagree with those comment - Ron Barassi 2009 AGM

You can be so successful on the field and with 40,000 members, but if you can't manage the team off-field, you're gone. It doesn't matter if you get 50,000 to every home game. Look at Collingwood. The loss they had this year. McGuire admitted that it was because of poor business decisions. Yet, their members do a lot of what you're telling us to do - go to games and get bums on seats. That's not what it's about anymore. It definitely helps to get bums on seats, big crowds and big numbers, but that's really only a drop in the pond. If you have dimwits working in the office, us being at the games really won't make a difference.

So yes, right now, I want other people to solve the situation because I've done my part and so have many others. The only people that care are the people that pay their money and go to the games. I want the people who are supposed to run the club to do their job.

If only we had half the money & access to sponsors that Collingwood had we wouldn't be here debating the actions we must take to find a major sponsor.

However, this all said and done. I'm not here to debate who is the "realist" I'm not here to to debate our ability to "acknowledge the problem"

I'm here to say ... Winning is not the only solution ... its only part of the solution.

IMHO you have correctly identified some of the other problems at hand. However "identify & acknowledgment" stand for little if we dont have the resources to take action.

Lets talk this through....... If we have no sponsor on Saturday the world dosnt end, the sun will come up on the mighty DEES on Sunday.

Now down to money, if a sponsor was worth $1 mil.

Possible increased memberships this year a $ plus.

An extra $750000 extra from the MCC [ thankyou]

Less interest on our debt as it has been reduced.

Lower salary cap, a saving of a possible $500000.

If you are embarrassed by having no sponsor put a bag on your head and dont look at the fence.

And no sponsorship on the jumper, GREAT, a MELBOURNE pure jumper, no club can say that about theirs.

WE ARE MELBOURNE!!!!!!!!!!

Dont get me wrong, to get a sponsor would be great for the finances, can never have too much money.

BUT NO SPONSOR ISNT NO MELBOURNE.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
Lets talk this through....... If we have no sponsor on Saturday the world dosnt end, the sun will come up on the mighty DEES on Sunday.

If you are embarrassed by having no sponsor put a bag on your head and dont look at the fence.

And no sponsorship on the jumper, GREAT, a MELBOURNE pure jumper, no club can say that about theirs.

Dont get me wrong, to get a sponsor would be great for the finances, can never have too much money.

your living in a dream world.

I hope you enjoy the Melbourne jumper without a sponsors logo(s) on it because it won't be around for long if it stays that way. Yes we all love the Jumper of the 1950's when we were kings but sadly that was almost 60 years ago - a lot has changed. If i see a jumper without a sponsor on it come round 1 i will be feeling a strong unfriendly chill down my spine.

And yes the sun will rise if we don't get a sponsor but the demons may be based in either Tassie or west sydney aswell. We have to pay the Bills & be a competitive business otherwise we will be confined to the highlight reels of yesterday.