Major Sponsor

iv'a worn smith

There is merit in your argument as if the Stynes led Board was seeking to replace the incumbent Board on the basis they could do it better, then they need to demonstrate exactly that. To date in respect to sponsorship they have not done so.

The real question might be how long are they given to achieve a sponsorship position improvement, that is more sponsorship in dollar terms. When is the date for comparison to be. I would suggest that by mid year at the latest an examination of the comparative positions could be taken and we would know the answer.

While we all know it is a difficult period to chase sponsorship I would have thought that a Board seeking to replace another would have had a few potential sponsors lined up before seeking to replace the incumbent Board. This does not appear to be the case. I must admit that is both surprising and disappointing.

This seems very fair to me.

If you take a line through the Bullies/Mission Foods a major sponsorship in the current marketplace is worth $125k (gross) per month.

We have been without a major sponsor since 1 November. Even if we sign one up in the next few months we already have a huge revenue hole for the current year.

I predict a trading loss of in the order of $2 million this year. This will wipe out the one-off Debt Demolition tin rattle and restore our balance sheet to where it was before Debt Demolition.

Everyone is fixated on "Debt" and of course the balance sheet and interest payable on borrowings are important. However of more ominous significance is that in 2008 and again in 2009 we will spend significantly in excess of our revenues. This is a one-way trip to oblivion.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you are wrong.

It makes immediate success on the field imperative to boost attendances, revenues etc.

We obviously cannot afford another 2008 season.

I disagree, I think we can probably have one more bad season without losing the club to merger/move. One more on top of that probably would see the end of us.

Guys, I'm a Saints fan just visiting.

It's an interesting discussion/debate you are having re Sponsorship.

At St Kilda they seem to have lost/unloaded their 'shorts sponsor' X-Box but have announced a new sponsor today - Bet-eezy.

I have no idea how large/small the sponsorship deal is but it is significant enough for their media dept to announce it.

Looking from the outside it would appear that the MFC are looking for a sponsor that is significantly more than what they had previously. If they eventually attract one then the wait will have been worth it. If they don't then they may, in hindsight, rue the lost opportunities they may have 'knocked back'.

It would be really interesting to know what happened to Primus? Were they looking to cut back their involvement to a 'shared' major sponsorship arrangement, much like St Kilda had with their previous arrangement?

If so, it may have been prudent to accept that and find a 'co=sponsor' with the view of turning that co-sponsor' into the next major sponsor? Then the Club would only be looking for half the amount they are now currently searching for, knowing that they at least had some funds coming in.

Not really knowing anyting about it, it sounds like they've thrown out what they had in the thought they were going to get something better?

If so, it may have been prudent to accept that and find a 'co=sponsor' with the view of turning that co-sponsor' into the next major sponsor? Then the Club would only be looking for half the amount they are now currently searching for, knowing that they at least had some funds coming in.

Not really knowing anyting about it, it sounds like they've thrown out what they had in the thought they were going to get something better?

Primus was never going to renew. I know this for a fact. Times are tough in the telephony business world these days.

I don't think we've 'thrown out' Primus - afaik they elected not to renew, and probably because of their own financial difficulties.

I don't think we've 'thrown out' Primus - afaik they elected not to renew, and probably because of their own financial difficulties.

Seems to me that Government rather that enterprise is spending at present. Maybe that's where we should be looking for sponsorship. The TAC provided major sponsorship to Richmopnd and Collingwood. Workcover has been investing heavily in prime time advertising lately - maybe they are a possibility? Who else?

I think the lateral appraoch to this is to look at this on a classic footy level.. Maybe we need to tackle this on a year by year basis fo a the short term. if we can line up a tier 1 then all well and good otherwise a couple of decent co-sponsors must surely be another avenue of investigation as they say. In any shape an AFL DOES afford a level ot expsosure many other vehichles cant. People often simply eqaute total success with sale-ability. As long as the club is in the media it gets exposure. This is GOLD. Melbourne can provide good value for someone(s) if pesented in the right light. Got to think outside the square here !!

With our own continuing success and the reinvigoration of the commercial world we will have businesses lining up in years to come. The only requisite is to still be there then. In the mean time take two.,. hell even three co sponsors and plaster them where ever the jumpers and shorts allow. A bit of a fire sale.. but it is far better than looking for the golden goose that may not be around at present.

Ah - it was only a matter of time.

The ultimate refuge of the intellectually bankrupt.

"You can't criticise Rudd, his policies and the performance of his Government unless you can show how you would make a better PM with better policies yourself".

Bulldust.

The difference between Hazy, other Stynes critics and me on the one hand and Stynes, his Board and his administration on the other is that at no time did we come to the Board of the day, demand that they step aside and then hold ourselves out to members, supporters, the media, the AFL and other stakeholders as having the people, plans and vision to rebuild the Club and make us powerful and successful again. Stynes has made precisely these claims.

Unlike us, Stynes and his Board have nominated for election to the Board and received the endorsement of the members. This imposes responsibilities and accountability on Stynes that are not shared by us plebs. I have never said I could do a better job. All I have argued is that Stynes should deliver on his promises.

intellectually bankrupt.. if it makes you feel a better person to say so flower

So you were happy with the previous board and the $5million debt? Stynes and the new board did hold them accountable and have taken over. Stynes and his board need to be held accountable as well. It is the nature of public office. But you can not say they are not moving the club in a direction. The current board has a direction, are they working hard enough to secure our future? I would say yes. Are they working hard enough for a sponsor and a home and an identity? I would say yes. Have we acheived all of those goals as yet. No. Did the previous board achieve the goals they has set out, no either. No previous administration of the MFC has.

By showing such a "vocal" voice of discontent you are suggesting something else could be done. Offer your services don't just offer discontent, offer support and options, ideas, answers.

Seems to me that Government rather that enterprise is spending at present. Maybe that's where we should be looking for sponsorship. The TAC provided major sponsorship to Richmopnd and Collingwood. Workcover has been investing heavily in prime time advertising lately - maybe they are a possibility? Who else?

Thats what i said in another link. Get the State Govt & Melbourne City Council to Promote Themselves & the whats Happening in this state on our Jumper. Pay us rather than an ad agency. We are Melbourne. Its our best assett.

Thats what i said in another link. Get the State Govt & Melbourne City Council to Promote Themselves & the whats Happening in this state on our Jumper. Pay us rather than an ad agency. We are Melbourne. Its our best assett.

sponsor_melb.gif

This would be the best looking sponsor on a jumper out of any team.

sponsor_melb.gif

This would be the best looking sponsor on a jumper out of any team.

would look good on the back :)

like.....

melsponsor11te7.jpg

Means 2 Things....OUR CITY & OUR CLUB..Get on Board. Its just waiting to Happen. Email that to Schwabb & the Club,

email sent :)

email sent :)

I hope the club is thinking along those lines. I really do. I Have been thinking it for Months. There are Big $$ sitting there. Could end up being one of the best deals in the Land. We are the Only Club who can Do it. No More being pushed aside. We are Melbourne.

Think there may have been a little hint in the Melbourne Members email, of who the sponsor maybe. HISENSE digital TV and hi-fi equiptment, there a new company to Australia and have recently taken up the naming rights to what was Vodapone Arena. Could be promising ..

That all sounds great & promising, but i still say we should work close with the state Govt & the melbourne city Council as well as any other sponsors we can find. It is our advantage. "If you got it Flaunt it" as they say

i tell you what, a sponsor has missed out tonight, great exposure would've been available on the bushfire telethon tonight...

Sam Blease has been wondering around the telephone room the entire night looking lost in the background of the television shot... i haven't seen him answer a single phone all night...

actually, scratch that he just picked a phone up... either way, would've been good exposure for a sponsor...